Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Homies are really useful, too. At least early on in the game before you get all the superpowers and become effectively invincible.

True, but having superpowers and superpowered homies allows you to lead a Saints Row-version of the Avengers, which is pretty cool.

Man, they really should allow you to take more than three homies with you at a time, though. Especially when I'm just cruising around, there is no reason not to take my entire gang with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I asked the....head guy...producer? Eh. Anyway, I asked him about where the series could possibly go from this point, and he said that he's pretty certain that the Saint's Row 'saga' is done - if they made any more, it'd likely be starting from scratch.

But...but...but they've got a time machine and Jane Austen!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I would kill for a sequel where time fuckery is used to divide a city into different temporal zones, each with their own criminal empire, and you trying to conquer this city in past, present and future. Of course, as you move between city parts you move between time zones, until you're fighting Al Capone with a laser rifle.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Press X to use Hidden Gun.

:unsmith:

Not going to lie, but that scene alone made Altair ten times cooler, directly.. Master Assassin, indeed.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

J-Spot posted:

In Far Cry 3, every section of the map has several enemy outposts and a radio tower you can climb. My favorite little thing in that game is when you can see an outpost from the top of the radio tower. You can usually pull out a sniper rifle and win yourself a stealth bonus right from the tower. There's a couple where the game's draw distance won't let you see the enemies even through the scope, but you can pull out your trusty rocket launcher and start raining hellfire from above. I managed to blindly clear an entire outpost using that method.

God, I'm playing this now and Far Cry 3 has some fantastic little things. Yesterday, I did a delivery mission with a quad and managed to hit the final checkpoint with my bike on fire from tumbling down a mountain sideways. The NPC I was delivering to just said: "Well, that was quick."
Made even better when I climb a building next to him, turn around, and see that just a minute after my delivery of what I'm guessing are medical supplies he gets eaten by two wild Komodo dragons. They just climbed out of the water behind him and killed him in one bite. The only thing I could think of was: "Well, that was quick!"
And don't even get me started on the hunting assignments. "These dogs have gotten rabies, kill them with a rocketlauncher!" just made me laugh way too loud.

Also, I love that (spoilers for a small but cool easteregg) there are letters from Japanese soldiers that indicate there used to be an Abstergo outpost on the island. Really, Far Cry 3 taking place in the Assassin's Creed-universe just makes way to much sense to me. Why are there weird mystical powers all around you? Well, I guess there's a Piece of Eden hidden somewhere that has a strange influence on the area. Also, it would make waaaaaay to much sense if Jason is a descendant of the Assassins: he takes naturally to stabbing people in sneaky manners from high or low places, constantly has to climb high places to get a way to detailed overview of his surroundings, and even has Eagle Vision!

And talking about Assassin's Creed and an interconnected Ubisoft-universe, I also love that in the first Assassin's Creed there is an e-mail that talks about a Piece of Eden found in the Middle-East which has the power to manipulate time, but that they are halting further experimentation with it because they are afraid of causing temporal paradoxes. I guess they just failed to realise that most people think time is like a river, that flows shift and sure in one direction. If they'd seen the face of time, they would know that they are wrong: time is like an ocean in a storm... Guess we finally know where that Dagger of Time ended up!

A Worrying Warlock has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Aug 23, 2014

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Far Cry 2, which never gets enough love, was amazing with its fire as well. Often I'd lob a molotov into a building inhabited by enemies, waiting for them to stream out into the path of my machine gun. Inevitably, the fire would grow out of control and the situation turns into pure chaos: ammunition piles get caught on fire, explosives detonate randomly, and you quickly find both yourself and your enemies stranded amidst the flames while you blindfire at them. It's brutal.

In fact, one big thing that I love about Far Cry 2 is how brutal and visceral it can be. People often complain about it being a frustrating game, but that's exactly what I love about it: playing it tires you out, you always find yourself at a disadvantage and even the best laid plans can go astray in the blink of an eye. There's an actual feeling of danger that haunts you for the entirety of the game (something which I never really felt in Far Cry 3) and the only way to cope with that is to become brutal and completely unscrupulous yourself. Eventually, you'll find yourself shooting every car that even comes close to you out of precaution, burning down villages filled with enemies that you could have easily evaded, wounding opponents with a sniper rifle so you can pick off their buddies as they attempt a rescue and becoming more and more detached to the horrific missions your employers give you. The fact that every action is preceded by a long journey gives you time to reflect on your actions, and if you're not disgusted with what you've become by the end of the game, you're playing it wrong.

It is pretty well known that Far Cry 2 is an adaptation of Heart of Darkness, but this transformation of the player highlights my favourite aspect of the game: the context of the adaptation and initial plot makes you think you're playing Marlow, but the game itself is putting you through the transformative process endured by Kurtz and this realisation (which is never explicitly pronounced by the game) comes as a sucker punch. It is a game that makes you look at its world in such a way that the motto "Exterminate all the brutes!" starts sounding very reasonable, and that was the moment I fell in love with it. Far Cry 2 is not the only game that models itself after Conrad (Spec Ops: The Line being another obvious example) but it is the only one that translated a descent into madness into something executed by the player himself (rather than something brought forth by the plot alone; see, again, Spec Ops: The Line). And for that, I will always love it.

Oh, and for an actual little moment that fits the above: near the end of the game, you're send to (serious spoilers, do NOT read if you intend to play the game) retrieve a stack of diamonds from an extremely dangerous area. What is supposed to happen is that you reach the diamonds and find one of your buddies standing over it. He calmly explains that he and his colleagues (more buddies) have decided it's more profitable to cut you out of the loop, and you're forced to kill the characters who have actively helped you (and you've helped in return) over the course of the game, leaving you truly alone and betrayed. What happened to me, however, was that as soon as I reached the designated area, I patrolled the environment first. I found a spot that allowed me to peak over the walls, just enough to spot what I thought was a guard's head. Naturally, I put a bullet in it. When I entered the compound, I saw that I had just shot my own buddy, and without any cutscene or anything the rest of them appeared and attacked me. It changed the entire context of the scene, and made me feel like even more of a bastard.

A Worrying Warlock has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Sep 21, 2014

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

2house2fly posted:

It might be more a measurement of someone's ability to continue functioning than measuring their health on some objective scale. If someone gets injured or poisoned it can dip to show they need medical treatment, dip a lot to show they need mondo medical treatment. I don't know what the Lore says about them but that makes more sense to me than "Warning Isaac You Are Now Only 48% Healthy"

That just reminds me of the medical wonder that is Gordon Freeman's HEV-suit. It's able to monitor your health, work it out into a percentage, protect you from radiation, provide anti-toxins when you've been poisoned, heal you, and administer morphine. Although that last part does make me suspect that Gordon's in a Crysis 2-type of situation, where he's just a mess of broken bones held upright by a mechanical harness.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Yoshimo posted:

I believe this could be possibly a reference to Planescape: Torment.

One of the areas features a ginormous skeleton of a dragon or colossus or something similar. There's a curmudgeonly guy living underneath it who is magically bound to help you with various things - including telling you how to get out of the area.

There's an exit portal under the skeleton's arse. :getin:

edit - this is amazing, possibly the most niche reference I've seen in a game!

I thought it was referring Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's suddenly materialized sperm whale, but that makes sense, too

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'd be interested in would be a game where it simulated being something so inhuman as to not even use the same senses, like a Spider. Having to navigate based not on visual accuracy but on light intensity or vibration alone, with no real sense of up or down because it doesn't loving matter, everything is the floor. You find a nice dark spot to spin your web, only for it to shake apart suddenly in the morning, and suddenly due to how hard it vibrates you see a massive shape displacing the hell out of the air and realise - one of the walls you used to anchor your web was actually the side of a tumble-dryer.

Just research the hell out of whatever you pick, find out how it does see the world and try to translate it to an audio visual medium.

Catching up on this thread and quoting this from waaaaaaay back, but have you heard of the Dark Game art installation? It's a project from video game artist Eddo Stern, is frequently featured in galleries and exhibitions, and is pretty much exactly this.

The basic premise is that one player plays a hunter who stalks through an abstract world while being hunted himself. The catch is that the hunter has no sight: you get all your feedback from audio and vibration, enhanced by a strange helmet you wear on your head. The audience sees an abstract world on screens that makes almost no sense, but to the hunter everything becomes instinct without reason.

It's really cool, and if you get the chance you should check it out at an exhibition or event someday. Helps if you're in the California region, though.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks to a PSNow subscription, I've been catching up on some PS games I never got the chance to play on pc. Doing Uncharted now, and I have to say...

...is it just me, or did anyone else feel like they were playing Sterling Archer? Because literally every line said by Drake so far sounds like it should have been voiced by H. John Benjamin.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

I've decided I was unduly restrained by the mission ranking system in my first playthrough, so I'm going to play again with all the cool gadgets. Rating be damned, I'm calling in an airstrike on a wolf

The last moment I played MGC:V was years ago, and it was an absolute nightmare. In one day I'd lost an almost-certain-job, a publishing contract, and any plans I had for the coming years.

That night, as I tried to distract myself, I kept playing this game until late into the night. I get called back to Mother Base, and it turns out everyone was giving me a surprise birthday. Sounds dumb, but I laughed so hard when it happened.

Looking back, it was just the dumb thing I needed to put things into perspective. So thank you Kolima, for my favourite gaming moment.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

:unsmith:
I have yet to see that in person but I love it, I'm just foiled by putting in my own date but never playing the game around then :arghfist:

Like, I had a pretty good rebound from that moment, but that's as close as I'll get emotionally to a video game that isn't Doom or Saint's Row....

Come at me, SR is loving magical, ESPECIALLY the Xmas pack for part IV...

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Hell, thats how I got Bhunter and Starfighter 3000.

I think I may be the only one who got this games, ever.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I always appreciate when games do unusual settings. Like Medievil's setting is fairly fun but a little basic, it's a medieval village, they're everywhere, but I like Medievil 2's setting more because not a lot of games do the 1800s london occult scene. All I can think of that do it are Nightmare Creatures, Bloodborne, and Medievil 2, Maybe the Jeckyll and Hyde nes game at a stretch and I think one Assassin's Creed game may play with it too. It's otherwise underutilised. I like that Medievil 2 references a bunch of things from the time period too, like the Dan Hand power may be a lovecraft thing like Herbert West, the villain is the same kind of guy as Alistair Crowley, and you also have Frankenstein in building the body and the classic Freak Show level.

Well, there's The Order 1886, which suffers from being The Order 1886, and more recently Vampyr, if we allow some leeway for the 1910's. There's also a whole bunch of Castlevania games in that setting, which makes sense because it's Dracula. Dishonored also fits the bill, and I guess you could make a case for American McGee's Alice games. Arcanum also kinda fits.

But my absolute favorite is the Fallen London setting, with Sunken Seas and Sunken Skies.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I'm playing Bloodstained, and I love how the controls and mechanics reward mastery over time. It starts as a standard Castlevania platformer, but once you get some controls over your moves and techniques you get to go full anime on monsters.

The epitome of this is, for me, the flying kick. Press down it down diagonal after your last jump, and you do a mean scissor jump that allows you to bounce off enemies without damage. Normally, you only do an absurd small number of damage as well, but the game factors in your speed and velocity. Also, it never tells you about any of the above.

I was just fighting massive amounts of enemies in a courtyard, sliding across the ground, using swords and magic, until there's one heavily armored enemy left on a platform above me. I fly into the air, end up off screen, and land with a flying kick so hard it does more than 150x the normal damage, one shotting him. The entire game is like Symphony of the Night on steroids and I love it.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I had always assumed that to be the case anyway. Why would he not be?

On that note, one thing I loved in Doom 2016 is how the lore describes different eons of hell. The Slayer first appeared in the First Era, certain enemies came out of the Second Era, some stuff happened in the Third Era and we're now in the cycle of events during the Fourth Era. It neatly matches the order of the games, and makes you feel cool when exploring old sections of hell at the end of the game. "Ah, clearly this architecture is reminiscent of the Second Age, beautiful examples of both the Tricks and Traps school of design and the Dead Simple philosophy..."

In Eternal, I lost it at Doomguy's bookcase. My Friend Superfly - by Hiro Miyamoto And King Ormero, first of his name and architect of the great demon slaying order, was a nice touch too...

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
In Doom Eternal, when you reach Sentinal Prime, there's a host of remaining corrupted Sentinal greeting the Slayer. While they take to you in English, their first utterance is this alien gutteral growl.

Except it isn't. In one of the pieces of lore, it describes that when Doomguy first arrived, they didn't speak his language and tossed him into the arena. There he defeated everything they tossed at him, screaming a phrase that the audience didn't understand but took up as a cheer. Now, when the old champion returns, those of his comrades that fought on the other side of the civil war still greet him with their phonetic version of his old war cry.

The scene in question: https://youtu.be/_YESRrJz_ps

Rip and tear! :hellyeah:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I've been trying out some classic JRPG's lately, because me and some friends are building a short one for an art project and it's not a genre I'm very familiar with. Hearing all the talk about the FFVII remake made me realize I never played the original, so I bought it for the Switch.
I'd never actively sought it out before, because growing up I had a N64 and anime doesn't really appeal to me. Besides, the games most vocal fans would often talk about grinding for some ultimate weapon or something, and that sounded as fun as watching paint dry.

Holy poo poo, does this game defy my expectations so far. Popculture osmosis made me think I knew what to expect, but my time with the game just keeps surprising me. Sephiroth is not a hot pretty boy that broods, but a legit terrifying presence that feels one step away from a Junji Ito character. Cloud isn't a whiny teen, but a walking wreck of PTSD and survivor's guilt. And for a genre that's known for being :words:, the writing is surprisingly snappy and almost all the worldbuilding is done through background detail. I love how the game slowly paints this picture of a world that skipped most of our modernization process because they never had to deal with different fuel sources like we did. Instead, they're basically a 18th century society that gets unlimited energy and literal magic through Mako. Fifty years later they exploded into a cyberpunk dystopia, but they still haven't taken some of the essential steps our world made. So there's incredible engineering feats like floating cities, but very few cars and almost no roads. There's genetic manipulation and machine gun protheses, but not enough to replace swords. It's that unequal distribution of technology that fits the game's theme of rampant capitalism very well, and it makes me wonder how the game's conception ties into Japan's postwar history.

I also love how the game's narrative is divided in these little episodes that rush by. It means that if I just play for an hour or two each day, I'll probably still experience a fun little story.

But the little thing that I love most and absolutely adore is the port's option to run the game at 3x speed with the push of a button and an optional invincibility mode if you want to grind. Bring able to zoom through the random encounters when they annoy you keeps them from getting in the way of the game's experience. I'm about a third of the way through, but am definitely going to keep going. I know I'm about to reach the most famous shock in game history, but have no idea about the rest of the plot and am extremely curious.

Oh, and taking the stairs when storming the Shinra HQ early in the game. They better have kept that part in the remake, though they probably changed the dialogue a bit.I admit I burst out laughing when Tifa calls Barret a retard, because it comes completely out of left field and is hilariously nineties. Have read all her dialogue with a thick Boston accent ever since.

A Worrying Warlock has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Jun 10, 2020

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

Having NPCs talk during puzzles should be illegal.

My dream in life is to one day find the writer at Ubisoft who came up with that loud idiot guard in Sands of Time who has you activate the security system, and make them play it.

"Careful! THINK A-HEAD!"

God, it's been over 15 years, and I STILL hear that rear end in a top hat's voice in my head regularly.

EDIT: Also, gently caress Prince Tricky in Starfox Adventures. I was twelve when I played it, and ever since that moment I will still sometimes hum a very specific "ladida" to myself.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Honestly, it just sounds like they're continuing a trend from FFXV, where Prompto would start telling you how sticky he is before gleefully shouting 'bathtime!'

Someone at Square just REALLY loves their shower, I guess?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I've been getting into FF recently, and one of my favorite things in FFXV is the rain and how it interacts with your hair. Sunshine? Massive anime hairdos all around. But the moment it starts pouring, your party has their hair fall flat while complaining that it's gonna take a lot of product to fix this.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
And then you come back on your new game + and just absolutely destroy him, setting the tone of how this second run is going to go.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I've been playing Octopath Traveler lately, and while the story is weak I like how your party becomes the very essence of deranged RPG characters. I can steal items from every npc, including kids. Sure, they'll only have candy and marbles, but I'll take them anyway. And afterwards, I might press that kid into a fight so I can gain a little extra XP.

Note that the game actively doesn't care if you do this, and your characters will still be taking about honor and other drama the moment a cutscene comes around. Never stops being funny.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Let's Game It Out And Dunkey are the two video game channels that can stay. The rest must be cast out.

Civvie11 can stay, too. For god sake, the man freely submitted himself to Duke Nukem Forever and Daikatana! WITH THE SIDEKICKS!

In the spirit of this thread, I am playing through Octopath Traveler now and appreciate the party member Cyrus Albright. He's a professor of history and literature at the university of "Atlasdam" in the " Flatlands". As a Dutch academic in the field of comparative literature with a partner that shares part of his name, it's impossible not to feel some empathy for that loveable dork.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've been on a major stealth game kick and have pretty much been playing them non stop for the past two months, which of course led me through the Splinter Cell series. They're all poo poo except for Chaos Theory, which just might be the best stealth game ever made.

It is chock full of little things, and does a great job of building up the characters that you barely see just by the casual conversations they have, not just between Sam and his support back at HQ but the guards.

But my fav convo has to be in the Displace offices after you plant backdoors for Grim in each of the servers. After the last one, Grim goes "Thanks Sam, now I'll be able to poke around Displace's dirty laundry all I want."

Sam: "Awwww."

Grim: "What's wrong?"

Sam: "My laundry....I totally forgot...."

Just brilliant tiny character moments like that to make them feel three dimensional. Like yes, Sam is a super spy, but he also has laundry to do. :allears:

A lot of that can be explained with two words: Clint Hocking. Dude is both a great designer and critic who manages to put insane amounts of thought into the way his game's systems reinforce the setting and story he's trying to tell. He wrote massive parts of the script for the first two SC games, and Chaos Theory put him in the seat of lead designer.

He then went on to make Far Cry 2, which IMHO is one of the best fps games of it's decade due to the way it really tied it's systems and story together. It's definitely a better adaptation of Heart of Darkness than the rather hamfisted Spec Ops: The Line was, letting the player's transformation into a Kurtz-like figure happen naturally rather than through scripted set pieces and windowdressing. Afterwards, Hocking kind of disappeared of the earth as a designer, doing time as an indie and employee of everything from Lucas Arts to Valve but never designing any of his own games.

Watch Dogs Legion is set to be his first title in over a decade, and that alone has me interested in a series that I never picked up before.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was looking forward to Legion as I enjoyed WD2, but learning that makes me a lot more excited for it :stwoon:.

Also go play Watch Dogs 2 in the meantime. It's a great game in its own right, and you don't need to know anything about the first game to get into it. Also the first game is baaaad.

Definitely going to try that. I saw that I had the first game in my library from a giveaway years ago and decided to try it. I know I gave it one short try a long time ago, but bounced off super hard because it just seemed grim and joyless.

This time, my expectations low, I am enjoying it more. There's some fun mechanics in there, even though they're underutilized, and Chicago is a fun setting when it's raining and thundering. It's a throwback to older Assassin's Creed games, but way more cluttered and chaotic. I think it would be more fondley remembered...

...if its story and protagonist weren't utter crap. Aiden Pearce is a serious contender for the most unlikeable protagonist in recent history, no matter how much the game tries to characterize him as some cool vigilante superhero. When we meet him, he's robbing people blind and acts surprised when he makes a few enemies. Okay, fair enough - that's a cyberpunk cliché. But then, when it comes back to bite him in the rear end and his niece gets killed, he decides to go full psychopath. His actions get his sister kidnapped, his nephew traumatized and countless others hurt.
When we first take control of him, he's torturing the man who executed the hit on his family. Again, fair enough. Then we cut to him brooding at his computer, deciding he has to relax a little bit and stepping outside to spy on all of his neighbours before selecting some small fry criminals to violently beat-up/murder. Meanwhile, he'll suck dry the bank account of anyone with the misfortune to stand in his general vicinity.

We are now five minutes into this game, and Pearce has already shown he's ethically inferior to the bloody Punisher.

Skip ahead half an hour, and our 'hero' learns that someone has been calling in vague threats to his sister. To find out who's behind this, he decides to track down the caller by hacking into a transmissiontower owned by a shady big tech company. As players, we already know that these guys are going to be the eventual bad guys - but from Pearce perspective, this is like breaking into the local AT&T building. So how does he react when he's told that the company doubled its supply of rent-a-cops? Does he decide on a brilliant technological approach, some scheme worthy of the Batman himself? Well, in his own words:

:jihad::"They doubled their security, so I better double my firepower."

He then proceeds to buy an assault rifle, fully intent on causing a massacre in a mission that is more easily finished without firing a single shot.

The game reaches the one hour mark and we must conclude that this game wants us to root for someone who's an utter psychopath.

If you think this would make the game unfun, you are absolutely right. But it does bring me to my favourite little thing...the ability to install mods that change the main character's model.

I changed my character model to that of Clara wearing Adrian's coat and pretend I'm playing Molly Millions. Just a hired gun doing jobs for a potentially insane client. The voices stay the same, but everytime Adrian starts speaking I get to imagine it's just my character's handler providing instructions or speaking to people using my character as a proxy. It's insane how much this improves the experience of the game. Pearce is still a psychopath, but the type of rich psychopath who doesn't like to get his hands dirty and doesn't always know what he's actually sending you into. Meanwhile, when things get bloody, it is because you're a hired gun that only cares about getting the job done and is free to determine a own course of actions. It removes the blatant hypocrisy that is embroided in the writing and turns it into a more interesting shade of grey. Pearce is still a self-rightious nutter, but he's not the one who steals and fights his way throughout Chicago. And you're still a murderer, but your also just a mercenary doing her job and not a superhero. Even the side-quests make more sense this way. There is little reason for Adrian Pearce to stop rescuing his sister and just gently caress off to play poker or get black-out drunk playing drinking games, but those activities make perfect sense if you look at them as things a hired operator does in their spare time between missions. And the money you get for doing missions? All part of the job, of course.

This little thing has made turned the game from depressing nonsense into a very fun amoral timewaster, like playing a lowkey prequel to Syndicate. And I can't be the only one to think that, because Legion's entire set-up seems to be leaning into a similiar lane of thought.

Ruffian Price posted:

:piss:

I expected it to be another open world district liberation simulator with semi-procedural cutscenes but now I'm stoked

Did he do work on Conviction? Because "game's systems reinforce the setting and story" immediately made me think of the part where the projected objective markers and mark&execute mechanic change to reflect Sam's mental state

He didn't work on Conviction, but I think a lot of people that worked with him in the past did. So there could definitely be some cross-contamination there.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Moon Monster" post="507900837"]
It's weird that you think being a hired gun murdering scores of people for flimsy reasons on behalf of someone else makes you less of a psychopath tbh.
[/quote]

Eh, it's still bad, but there's a reason most cyberpunk stories will choose hired gun over delusional spreekiller. It makes for a better narrative, at least. Like playing Hitman instead of Postal.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

2 I said play Watch Dogs 2 :stonklol:. The first game is utter garbage.

The depths a lockdown and low-key depression will bring a man to are truly unfathomable...Also, waiting for the next paycheck before I can justify buying any new games and a morbid curiosity.

Phoneposting, so can't dive too deep into this now, but when I think of both games I feel like Spec Ops mainly makes sense in the context of it's time, those years when almost every shooter would be an overly nationalistic military parade. It's good commentary, but it doesn't get around a certain tension between the textual narrative and the experience of gameplay. For all it's deconstruction of military heroism, you still play the entire game as a squad of soldiers with revives and regenerating health. You kill scores of people because your a video game protagonist, and the big moment that everyone remembers (bombing civilians with phosphor) only happens because the story DEMANDS it happens now. We feel empathy for the madness our protagonist experiences, but mainly as an outside audience that is implicated in the horror because we have to follow a script.

Far Cry 2, by comparison, has you start off weak and let's you remain in that state for the rest of the game. This forces you to adapt and improvise. You discover that it's better to be sneaky and shoot first. You are always outnumbered, so you learn to snipe enemies in no vital places and draw out their compatriots. You learn to place IEDS by bushes and parked cars so you have a clear indication of when to detonate them, the same tactic the Taliban used. The game makes no secret of the fact that it hates you, so you have to do everything in your power to survive. And when you commit monstrous acts, it is because you thought them necessary. And that's not even going into the side missions, which are outright warcrimes. You don't have to do them, but good luck surviving without the resources they give you.

The game uses Heart of Darkness to set up the idea that you are going towards Kurtz, represented by the Jackal. But that's a total lie.
By the end of the game, you are done with all of it. You don't care for the stupid factions anymore -hell, you can hardly pick them apart as is- and you don't care about this country. The game wears you down and that's a good thing. By the end, you don't care about anything except for getting the job done - even if the purpose of that job is something you now find ridiculous as well. You are a monster because you have become the very best at what you do without any attempt to hide it's ugliness behind false pretense, and may God have mercy on your soul.

You haven't found Kurtz. You have become him, without ever knowing for sure where you crossed the line. This experience is the heart of Far Cry 2, and it is told entirely through gameplay. Spec Ops has a good story that it tells very well, but FC2 is the game I'll never forget.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

tight aspirations posted:

I appreciate your full response to my one emote post, and I think you make a fail amount of good points, but the thing is I never really cared for huge swathes of FC2. I can appreciate what is does well - the moment to moment shooting is good, there are a bunch of weapons, the fire physics is good, the way you use the map is brilliant and I really like how it teaches you to go by river and, er, bus to avoid trouble, but I never cared for the plot, or your dumb companions, or how the weapon trucks just drive in endless circles for no reason, or how the weapons break, how malaria does nothing at all, and the ending is just transcendent levels of stupid. I mean you say you didn't care by the end of it, but I never even really started.

Spec Ops, though, I really got into. I don't think the Wiley Pete scene was that great because, as you say, you're forced into it. The titular "the line" scene where the natives have had enough of your poo poo and string Lugo up and you have to decide, while they're throwing stones at you, mimicking bullet impacts, what to do is much better. I mean, there's no prompts, nothing to tell you what you can do, there's just you, a gun and a bunch or people killing the guy who's been with you the whole time and you feel very rushed into a decision. It's personal on a level that was just abstract when you killed the civilians. I just can't think of anything in FC2 that was that memorable, really.

Fair. And that scene is brilliant, especiallyif you figure out that you don't have to kill anyone, just scare them off. I fired off a few warningshots into the air because that seemed like a normal thing to do, and was floored when it actually worked.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Facing Worlds, a famous CTF map from Unreal Tournament. Two towers, a big ol' linear wasteland in the middle with no cover, and a lot of sniper weapons.

Basically, it was Fortnite when it was still fun.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Someone mentioned Clint Hocking as to the key reason Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is so drat good and I just beat it and looked at the credits and they weren't kidding: he was the lead level designer, creative director, AND wrote the drat game. Dude should be as prolific as Hideo Kojima. What took him so long to make another game after Far Cry 2 and why does it have to be another Watch Dogs AND for UbiSoft? :cry:

Well, the Hocking story gets even weirder. He left Ubisoft after FC2 and did a short stint as an indie dev. However, he got some pretty good job offers before he good get anything off the ground. In the past decade, dude has held positions at Lucas Arts and Valve. Great companies with the potential to make awesome games, but also notorious for not actually getting projects off the ground. I'm glad he's back at Ubisoft, to be honest, because he's one of the few designers with a proven trackrecord of taking their formula into wild places and it means there will actually be a game with his name on it.

Mind you, during that in-between he also served as the writer of a really good column on game design in the UK. In fact, he's credited with some of the first use of the term ludonarrative dissonance.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
DMC3 also has one of my favourite ending credits in any game, ever.

Dante gets a little emotional because he just send his brother to hell, his companion tries to comfort him and we see a single tear. Then the camera zooms out, we see they are surrounded by demons and the credits play over a kick rear end rock song while you get to slaughter them all.

It's corny and awesome, the perfect capstone to a game like that.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Veib posted:

This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen in a video game and I had to stop playing because I couldn't stop laughing

It's just so insanely hacky even by dumb action game writing standards, I cannot believe somebody thought that was a good idea

I loving love it

Holy poo poo. I played Gears 1, then peaced out until 4 and 5. I still laugh sometimes when I think of that ridiculous commercial for the first game that had Mad World in the background, but always thought it was some weird marketer's idea.

Nope, guess Cliffy B reaaaaaly likes his sad songs!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
One thing I like about Odyssey is that it manages to nail that sense of historic wonder that the games with Ezio managed, but the series struggled with ever since. Maybe it's because the characters get actual time to breath, or maybe it's just because I'm a huge need for classic history, but attending an Athenian symposium during the city's golden age is exactly as cool as it sounds.

And then you help out Euripides by getting Aristophanes piss drunk, after the latter embarrassed the former so hard he's now sitting out the party from the kitchen. And everybody wonders who the gently caress decided to invite Socrates, as he goes around making guests incredibly uncomfortable by being THAT guy at the party.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Is the 'same' Aya i can hire for my ship in AC:O

Yes. Same Bayek, too.

I thought Bayek worked great as a main character, and his role as a Medjay formed the perfect perspective for seeing Egypt go through radical change. His entire legacy is a tradition that has been left behind and when his only son is taken from him, it's understandable that he goes berserk.

Anya's a badass, but her story's different and a little to close to previous protagonists. Her revenge is just as personal, but she's less bound by tradition her husband is. Bayek, in contrast, has to do way more soul searching to discover what he fights for and question which laws he is actually meant to uphold.

I also never felt like either character was playing second fiddle to the other's actions. They're both equally capable, which makes it easy to believe that these two really live each other while simultaneously making it unavoidable that they will grow apart.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In Unreal Tournament 2k3/2k4 (maybe 99 but I never tried) if you maxed the graphics out it would play the “Holy poo poo!” Multi kill sound bite.

Doom 2016 gives you an achievement for this, congratulating your setup.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I recently picked up the Breath of the Wild DLC and am playing through Trials of the Master Sword. The middle trials do something unexpected.

Lots of ranged enemies, a steady supply of arrows and a constant updraft for your glider.

My favorite thing is how this completely changes the core gameplay loop of clearing a room. Because of theupdraft and arrows, you have basically unlimitedslow motion. It changes Zelda from a melee game into something that's basically a an arena fighter like Doom, and I love it.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I love it when a game scares me, but most horrorgames leave me cold. Recently, I've been playing through the Resident Evil series. I love their campy weirdness, but 1, 4 and Revelations never scared me. The remake of 2 had some horrifying moments in the form of Mr X, since the idea of being stalked by something you cannot kill is terrifying, but most parts after the police station weren't scary as much as they were pretty cool.

I decided to play Resident Evil 7 next. Now, in real life I cannot stand anything that has to do with rot. Mold and swarms of insects, especially. I just reached the Old House where Margaret roams. Congratulations, RE7, you have officially scared the poo poo out of me.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Dawn of the Monsters is a kaiju beat-em-up, and the love for the genre is palpable. I have been constantly playing as not-Godzilla, and have unlocked some very fun skins so far: The King, which has the colors of King of the Monsters, and 1954, which is completely in in black and white.

My favorite, though, is a skin that uses the color scheme of the Godzilla games on the GBA. It's a deep cut, but if you're a kaiju and video game fan from the same generation as the lead developer, it's something that immediately stands out.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Hel posted:

Soldier of Fortune is a serious game about serious soldiers, which is why the shotgun has two alt fire buttons dedicated to spinning it around in different ways.

And don't forget the serious final boss, Cobra Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

The first time I ever heard the song was on Nirvana's Unplugged in NY. Still my favorite version

I knew Kojima is a big Bowie fan, and always enjoyed the little shout-outs he'd put into his games. I had a fun little theory in my head that for all its complexities, the entire storyline of MGS was simply a very elaborate adaptation of The Man Who Sold The World.

And then MGSV happens, the grand finale, and it opens with that exact song. I've never been more aboard for a game.

Speaking of Bowie and games, I remain convinced that Earthbound's opening is based on Starman. Let all the children boogie, indeed.