Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Maxwell Lord posted:

The game is wall to wall puns. I love it.

Wall to wall... YOU loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

smnsuperstar posted:

Back on the original playstation there was a game called "Test drive: Offroad", my brother and I used to love it.

Anyway, You could choose your off road cars and the Jeep was next to the Hummer, if you switched between them real quick it would say the name of the cars as you switch. So for a good five minutes as we mucked around, it'd say, "Jeep Hummer, Je Je Je Jeep Hummer". And then for the next fifteen years, I always thought there was a car called the Jeep hummer.

Additionally on one track in the game you could break through the fence and just free roam.. Good times.

Holy crap man I used to do this with the pc demo. Hummerrrrr... JEEP WRANGHUMMERRR. I don't remember much from that time or the game but I remember this complete with the free roaming part :3:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

At one point you're going to fight the man on fire (this is no spoiler shut up) and when you try to fulton him and succeed, he goes up and Ocelot goes "He burned the ropes, thank god"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm 81 hours into MGSV, and I've finished the story. So I'm like drat 81 hours, still a ton of content to play around with, what a... Wait what? Chapter 2? Wait all this was just the first chapter? And new gameplay mechanics? "Boss you can now develop nuclear warheads."

The gently caress did you just say?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

graybook posted:

My previous ones have been NAKED TANGO, MIKE SNATCHER, and my current is WHISKEY EATER. I'll change to something better soon but I'm proud to a degree of MIKE SNATCHER.

You're late

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I looked down to be a dick to the doc and see what the game would do and I had to play the first thirty minutes with an inverted mouse :/

You can't out-troll MGS I guess

So that's why it kept inverting! I thought I was going crazy.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm cautious about Death Stranding. As much of an apologist as I am for Kojima, I think everyone needs some editorial restraint.

For me it's a win win scenario. A bad kojima game is still fun because even if he fucks up, it's fun to watch the trainwreck.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

2house2fly posted:

As for what a good kojima game is like? We may one day find out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y897tozJeg8

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The little thing in Deadly Premonition is that if you don't change your suit for about a day or maybe two, flies start flying around you and you get a demerit from FBI called "stinky agent" and a pay cut.

Also this maybe

gently caress YOU CLINT

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

In the game bitching thread Diablo 3 story came up and I love Diablo 2's cinematics. D1 had barely any, D3 was full of them and while beautiful, they were boring and cliche as gently caress. But this one moment in the epilogue to Diablo 2 stuck out to me and gives me goosebumps to this day.

In Diablo you kill Diablo but your main character decides the only safe place to keep the soulstone is their forehead. This turned out to be incredibly stupid seeing as it made Diablo even more powerful and the whole reason D2 even happened. gently caress hero of Tristram, no the real hero of the whole Diablo saga is the character you've been playing in Diablo 2. The world's gone to poo poo. Monsters are all over Sanctuary you soon learn what happened. So you go after Diablo into the hell itself, you loving kill off all of hell and finally Diablo. And does our hero get all "hmm maybe I should put this up my rear end for safekeeping"? No you loving take diablo's and his brothers soulstones to the hellforge lined with corpses with demons you killed on your way and go "Which one of these is Diablo? Eh doesn't matter" *SMASH* "...aaand the other one" *THUNDER BAM*. And that's loving that. You hosed up everyone's poo poo up so bigly, that Baal, loving Lord of Destruction visits mental asylum real low key in order to steal his own soulstone on the sly from a poo poo encrusted old man because you don't wanna gently caress with the guy who did that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwUgRP69dx8

Love it.

Vic has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Jul 20, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

This is after he got his soulstone and we all know how this went for him.

Never gently caress with the d2 hero.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Final Fantasy 7 got me through my first breakup.

Just kidding it was Final Fantasy 9.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm playing the current Diablo 3 season where they introduced the Necromancer, and I love the feeling when you finally get that set gear bump and you go from getting by to like four torment levels up and completely obliterate everything in your path. This waller enchanted boss monster puts a wall around me and i'm like "You got this twisted I'm not locked in here with you. YOU'RE LOCKED IN HERE WITH ME!"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Now picture this from the outside: a man yelling this at his computer screen while clicking furiously.

Well it IS the little things

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Speaking of screaming and Pokemon GO, this little thing in games happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFm8SJ0VOaA

Basically they organized a pokemon go festival, a megatournament during which the game wouldn't work at all. For everybody.

Vic has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Jul 25, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

scarycave posted:

The Pokemon GO craze was surreal,

Yeah but this happened a few days ago as an anniversary event.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Pokemon GO was legitimately one of the best social experiences gaming ever gave me during the first few weeks when the craze was at its peak. People I work with but never talk to wound up getting to know each other while catching Pokemon outside the building on our lunch breaks, a any modestly-sized shopping center or public area like a park or a school you could find a cluster of like-minded people with an instant icebreaker and excuse to engage them, and even online you had all the fun crazy rumors around hidden secrets and tricks that you used to see on the playground when people would swap totally legit strategies to catch Mew.

It's a shame that the actual underlying game didn't have enough depth to keep it going past that initial craze.

So did you have anything to talk about? I mean I guess it's kinda like two people walking their dogs meeting only it's an app.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The little thing in Baldur's Gate is playing solo character and then dual classing 1/3rd into the game because you get xp meant for the whole party.

The amount of reloads is about the same.

The second option is fully voicing your own character (just name the .wavs accordingly) and all party members by people you know and are down for it. The rule is they have to fully voice that character and pick their class.

I finished BG1 with a fighter and a bard. All the bard's voicelines were the slovak version of "brave brave sir robin" or along the lines

EDIT: Even the selection lines. And he watched me play through it.

Vic has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Jul 26, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Cleretic posted:

It's sure as hell more fun, interesting and well-received than the opposite, being critical of popular games even if it's a legitimate complaint.

I still get poo poo here for poorly phrasing a generally agreed on set of problems with Fallout 4. And I recently got kicked off a Discord channel I was a longstanding member of because I was critical of Destiny 2 (and some other games to be fair) by an admin that by total coincidence worked for Bungie and posted every single publicity video they released.

Yeah after causing controversy by liking Fallout 4 in the dragging the games down thread I've been secretly posting about fallout 4 in the text of my posts and I even quoted someone's post and replaced their name with "Fallout 4 is a good game" and nobody caught on.

I couldn't come up with more.

Vic has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Jul 27, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

My theory is bethesda games are popular because the most common thing people like is gaining levels in a semi coherent world.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Testekill posted:

So they just didn't think of asking Obsidian how they did being able to take a humanoid companion & robot or dog?

You better back off or I'll start posting about how good Fallout 4 actually is

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Here's a thing about the late 90s rpgs in particular but it applies generally. There's this thing where using an exotic setup makes the game trivial because you exploited the game mechanics so that you just fart in the general direction and armies die. You get less of that in modern games because devs try to balance things out. The little thing is finding the op configuration, the thing dragging it down is the internet :(

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I think it's about them being in game being needlessly exploitative.

Nobody in their right mind buys this stuff

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Calaveron posted:

"After playing Witcher 3 I decided to emulate Geralt and Yennefer and have sex on top of a stuffed unicorn."
"I have finished having sex on top of a stuffed unicorn and am now playing Witcher 3"

Just the two

Witcher 3 and him having sex on top of a stuffed unicorn while playing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Necrodancer was super hard for me as well and I consider myself decent at rhythm games. It's not entirely the same skillset since you're not just following the rhythm, you have to recognize patterns and make decisions to the rhythm.

Enemies and behaviors are incredibly predictable though so it's literally a case of practice makes perfect. I can nail down wins on a daily basis now but it took a decent effort to get there.

Thank you I thought I'm crazy because I'm also reasonably good at rhythm games but eat poo poo in Necrodancer. I don't have enough patience to put in the effort when there's other stuff to play, but it's a shame because it's a neat concept.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Somfin posted:

Two pieces of advice:

1. Your first character will kinda suck. They've really improved the tutorial, but there's no getting around the fact that your first character will just sorta be okay. Find something that seems fun and play around with things, with the intention of collecting currencies and then abandoning the poor bastard to its fate and trying again, properly, with a different character later.

2. There's an entirely different game hiding at about level 80 or so, once you download a good custom item filter and get into the rhythm of how the game flows. It's hard to explain properly, but there's a paradigm shift in how you approach play sessions; you go from playing from map to map, to making progress on a much larger scale. You probably shouldn't try to get to that poo poo on your first character and possibly not even on your second.

Beaten, but a friend of mine described it to me very similarly which is uncanny.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

I've also been playing a bunch of Age of Empires II HD and I'd forgotten about the hilarious AI opponent resignation reasons. If you've never played AOEII, when you beat the AI in a random map, they'll send a chat message before the resign. The message includes a bullshit excuse as to why they got their rear end kicked--something you might hear an actual person online say. Only they do it in Early Modern English, so you get a lot of forsooths and verilys.

These are a few of my favourites. They're all 100% bullshit, as if you're familiar with the game, you'll know they're all meaningless and don't matter at all or are mechanically impossible:

Wait is this a new feature? I never noticed anything like this.

My favorite thing about AOE2 AI is when they launch a giant combined attack and then resign before the first body hits the ground.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Trainmonk posted:

A lot of people really want to dislike path of exile for bizarre reasons that I suspect are mostly just contrarian. If you like click games like diablo then you'll probably like path of exile more, since its kind of the ultimate form of them. There aren't really classes either, every character can do anything, so there's no gender locking.

If you don't like diablo-likes then you probably won't like it. That's pretty much the only thing it reasonably comes down to.

This except Fallout 4 and stolen baby games.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Frush posted:

Yeah, the systems in the newer Fallout games (3, NV, 4) are all kind of meh. You start out and struggle a little, then get some massively OP perks (or equivalent) and just steamroll the rest of the game via your method of choice. The survival modes do help with that, since you have to diversify a bit to be effective. Seeing your build wreck face sooner rather than later is a thing a lot of people like, and given how long your average person plays a game for (seriously, look at the achievements for most games) it's probably the better way to balance it for the average person. Either way, Fallout games are always worth playing to do the exploring and collect the bobbleheads and such though.

I like the systems in Fallout 1 & 2, partially because you can't ever really overlevel and be a master jack of all trades. You only really get so much XP and can only put it so many places, at least over the course of a normal game. I think this also has to do with the fact that they have a somewhat (arguably) linear path of main story & side quests and relatively difficult skill checks; if you're not focusing hard on a specific skillset when that becomes relevant you're not going to be able to use that strategy. The multiple ways to play the game mean you can do all sorts of crazy builds, but you'll never be expert at everything. That said, it is a little complex and unforgiving.

I suppose what I'm saying is there is a good reason for level caps in RPG style games. It's the same reason you loved the cheat codes as a little kid but rarely use them now; being OP is fun for a little while but you'll lose interest quickly after since there's no real challenge to it after. Leave that to the easy/narrative modes, which are valid for some people.

Fallout 1 & 2 are definitely poo poo by today's standard. I mean there are game breaking bugs present to this day [GOG version] unless you mod it. But here's what they still do that the 3D fallouts don't: The player isn't the priority. Like if you max out traps in F1&2 it won't mean you'll by proxy be some kind of supergod in explosives. No it just means you can disarm traps. It's pen and paper rules applied to a specific setting and written down. You have plenty of choices its just some are not really as viable as others. That's how you can get good at the game by not making the numbers go up, but deciding the most effective/interesting way of doing that.

Go ahead and try luck 10 / jinxed character in F1&2. It's a terrible slog where your cripple abuses quicksaves so they can just watch a whole gang of raiders shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly until they bleed out. It's super fun the first few fights but watching yourself accidentally burst fire your party member's extremities off due to them standing withing 180 radius of your gun, gets old. With the 3D fallouts you're supposed to make whatever choice and it still being interesting and viable. That's a poo poo long order but whatever you're trying to do it's probably been accounted for. Means less fun.

In conclusion Path of Exile is probably a lovely game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Frush posted:

Oh I wouldn't say they're that bad, but I absolutely agree that by modern standards they're a mess. I think overall we're making a similar point; the older games forces you to specialize more. True you can gimp yourself a bit, or allow weird gimmick runs (remember the 3 INT stuff?), but even in endgame you're not going to master science, repair, energy weapons, melee weapons, speech and more all at once (unless you're masochistic like nael I guess). It just keeps the RP in RPG a bit more effectively than 'modern' Fallout games. And bulldozering anything and everything gets kind of boring eventually.

No I agree with everything you said. You can sort of try to do the same thing in the 3D fallouts by reducing the XP gain and going low intelligence so you don't get too many skill points, but you're still accommodated. They're different kinds of games in how they're designed.

I'd argue you can't have that "I broke the game" feeling if the game guides you and teaches you there are no wrong choices. This is sorta good because it means the game's well balanced. But you don't get to feel smart because you gamed the system. If you wanted to go unarmed in Fallout 1&2 it took real commitment because guns > fists so you had to max out those important stats leaving you essentially retarded but stronk. You ran into someone with an automatic gun, you had a bad time until you sent them flying off the map.

In a new Fallout, breaking a game is just "Yeah you just kill everyone with fists instantly now because you maxed out unarmed in 3 levels". If you circlestrafe nobody even hits you because you crippled all their limbs with your guaranteed critical hits. As you said it's fun only for so long because you didn't really sacrifice anything you just picked a skill - the game came pre-broken for you.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Mondian posted:

And unarmed/melee were underdeveloped in 1, but were crazy good in 2. Early on it saves you the cost of ammo, is low AP, and even with mediocre strength and skill you can easily knock enemies out with headshots. Far easier than eyeshotting them with a gun at least. Late game the AP cost drops more and your chance of instant kills goes way way up, not to mention the deathmachine you can become with slayer perk + 2ap powerfist attacks.

Nah you'd get your rear end handed to you on the reg from a laser minigun with every critical hit. At least I'm saying I did :smugbert:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

I've played the game multiple times and only ever gotten the dog ending???

internet posted:

In order to get the Dog Ending, you must first unlock each of the three "normal" endings:

In Water
Leave
Maria
Or unlock the Rebirth ending. This will allow you to get the Dog Key.

After meeting the pre requisites, a dog house will appear in a a small empty area across the street from Rosewater Park. This is just West of Jack's Inn. Investigate the dog house to find the Dog Key.

Now that you have the Dog Key, you can use it in the Observation Room on the third floor of the Lakeview Hotel. It can only be used after it has changed to the otherworld. Watch the video tape to change it, then open the door to get the ending.

You're so good/bad at the game you didn't realize you already finished it three times?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I've been fooled the second time, dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1nDafqdH9o

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

They should just keep pumping out silent hills with more endings each iteration. I want a silent hill game that's just a foggy room where it's only you and a monster you have to beat to death with a pipe and once you do, you die because you were the monster all along.

Each ending is just a picture of a turned over wheelchair while someone scratches an empty plate with a fork.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like the signature musical styles, with the constant trilling it's very distinctive, and I don't mean that as an insult, although it is like the guitar is constantly rubbing it's finger up and down it's lips while being played to make a "bibblebibblebibble" (can't find a vid of what I'm going for there, but I'm sure some of you know what I'm on about) noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2cK8mOG4Q8

Its a smaller string instrument called bouzuki or somthing similar. They lack lips or fingers tho

Vic has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Nov 24, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

To be fair im completely lost in any post talking about a game i never played and know nothing about. If youre talking about game mechanics using the game's terms its almost always gibberish.

Doubly so for japanese videogames.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Jetamo posted:

Imagine if the Switch-Pokemon game is literally just Pokemon Snap 2.

Thread related: I have a severe problem when it comes to games (or as the case may be, mods) that let you collect an inordinate amount of trinkets. Such as Legacy of the Dragonborn for Skyrim, which adds in a whopping amount of relics and weapons and quests, and a museum that you are tasked to fill out.

And said museum has basically a slot for every notable item in the game. The Horn of Jurgen Whatshisname from the main quest? Poison to kill some rats in the Thieves Guild questline? The Wabbajack? All has a spot in the museum. And not only that, but the developer went a step further and added in support for major quest mods like the Wheels of Lull, or Wyrmstooth, or that one Moonpath to Elsweyr mod.

This mod sounds like my personal hell.

In Bethesda games the NPCs react to when your character is naked. At least they did in Morrowind. Your naked character model always wears underwear but in Morrowind they also look like bad Virtua Fighter characters. So when all the npcs react with "Uuuugh. Spare me.", they're like holy poo poo these graphics are horrible.

I played morrowind recently and there's a graphics overhaul mod that's just a compilation of multiple mods including Better Bodies that make Morrowind look a bit better but also wildly inconsistent. The Better Bodies mod offers underwear version but defaults to naked so I've been trying it out and suddenly I see this ( :nws: for cat donger):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx3nppR7-qY

So I guess that's a little thing in games.

EDIT:

oldpainless posted:

In SOMA, one of the monsters is naked and they modeled his donger. Thats one of my fav little (heh) things in games.

Um. Beaten?

Somebody has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Dec 1, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You could do that in the original after you already beat the game once.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Oh man the sound design in the doom games is absolutely amazing. Both the "There you are" sound cues and death sounds of the monsters. The techno sound when you kill the arachnotron or the blood curdling roar of a hell knight baron of hell make me pee my pants a lil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ0cOl4iL78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ2j4GvJiZw&t=75s

Vic has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Keep repeating the same obvious thing for a few dozen more posts and you'll have the authentic Issun experience.

Did ya hear that furball? You just gotta keep making posts to have the authentic Issun experience.