Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

scarycave posted:

In FFV, they tried to use a phoenix down and various healing spells on a dead character. In a cutscene.
Didn't work, but I think this is the only time in a FF game where they actually tried to revive someone like that.

And thus, another reason why FFV remains the best Final Fantasy. That entire scene is fantastic, because not only do they actually attempt to use in-game resources in the cutscene, but the fight the guy dies in is an actual, in-engine fight. He's spurred on into an impossible fight by sheer determination, and the game actually lets you play that out by letting you continue to fight past when his HP hits 0 (which usually happens in the first volley).

They even distribute the heals in a fitting way. Lenna's stats are more geared towards magic, so her attempts are spells. Faris meanwhile is more physically-oriented (ant materialistic), so she's hurling items. All of these are tiny, little things, but they add up to really pull off demonstrating that the game's cutscenes are playing by the same rules that you are. Not many games really push to make that happen, which is a shame, because FFV proved that it's not that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

EmmyOk posted:

As for a little thing, in MGS2 you can sneak up on enemy soldiers and hold them up. While you have them held up you can shoot their radios to stop them calling their cronies for back-up.

They varied in courage when you held them up, too, and the type of gun you used influenced the chances of them getting scared and giving you stuff. The tranq pistol would get a lot of people being brave, and you'd really have to push to get them to do much, but bigger, more obviously lethal weapons would have higher success rates.

The best weapon for holding people up? Rocket launcher.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Szurumbur posted:

There are a few games I know of that copied that idea half-way, e.g. Suikoden with its "Let go" option, Persona 3 with its enemies running away (but you'd still have a fight if you ran into them), Dragon Quest VIII with its "Intimidate" (and Holy Water for most of the series, negating random encounters with monsters of lower levels), but none that I've played that uses the idea outright, which is really weird, because it's a good system and games to copy those often. I guess it'd cut down on grinding too much.

I remember at least one of the PS2 Persona games, possibly both, also had the mechanic that if you got the first strike on a random encounter, then you'd have a 100% chance to flee in that first turn.

I'm genuinely not sure what thread to put this in, so it's winding up here by default because I like it: I've tripped something in Bravely Default, be it intentional or not, that has caused the entire game to just really loving hate one of my party members, Ringabel. Since starting Chapter 5 literally every boss is out for his blood; he's not integral to my strategy either, he's neither the tank, chief damage-dealer or the healer. He's not even the most killable, the game has just arbitrarily decided that he needs to die in every fight, and will pull out attack plans that would kill far more important members of my party to do so.

This turned from 'weird and annoying' to 'hilarious' when I realized that the AI will compromise its own strategies to do it. Support enemies will go on the offensive, despite having a job to do, specifically to murder Ringabel. It happens so predictably that I've started pre-emptively queueing up revives on him, because it's such a given that he's going to die.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nuebot posted:

Since nintendo has announced they're going to bring the Metroid Prime games to the wii u e-shop soon, I figure this is a good excuse to post more about metroid! Fun little detail I've always loved about Echoes is that a lot of people seem to assume Dark Samus falls to the whole dark/light beam weakness thing because of its name. It, in fact, does not and it's even grouped as an off-worlder because of how it's not actually from the dark world. I always thought it was a nice touch. Also the ing will occasionally try to posses Samus though it doesn't work.

The Ing will try to possess you, only to get rebuffed because of the Energy Transfer Module. They actually make a more successful attempt before you get it, though; that's how they stole your poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought Holding out for a Hero was amazing as well.

If we can say that SR3 did one thing to add to the franchise, it's incorporating the soundtrack like that. Personally, my favorites are the Deckers mission in the power plant, and You're The Best Around, but even if 3's musical missions were nothing to write home about they would've been worth it, just because they paved the way for You've Got The Touch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

My Lovely Horse posted:

The only thing that would have improved them a bit is if the songs hadn't been on the radio before their missions. The impact of that last one is slightly lessened if you've heard it a hundred times throughout the game and put it on your mixtape.

Granted, I perfected a synchronized superpower display routine, so there's an element of balance there.

IV's DLC at least does this, although it might be a matter of engine mechanics than anything else. Maybe they simply couldn't add Walk the Dinosaur to the radio.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

a kitten posted:

Wearing silly poo poo in cutscenes is the best. A while back FFXIV added a hat based on the slimes from Dragon Quest and nothing livens up a serious storyline quest like seeing that thing jiggling on your head while NPCs are talking away.

The Secret World has serveral variations on that creepy horse mask. So if the horse mask itself is too sane, you can be a unicorn instead!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Alouicious posted:

no no, games are fart

finally, you say something that makes sense.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think my favorite part about Gat out of Hell is that all the non-demon cars are rusty shitbuckets. It's a touch they actually explain in sort of an understated way, too, with a billboard advertising one of them with the slogan 'when life gives you lemons, drive it'; so it's not an entropic decline, the land of eternal torment just doesn't make good cars.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Captain Lavender posted:

I want GOoH so bad, but all I keep hearing is how short it is. Some reviews are like, "It's an expansion, what do you expect?!", but I don't actually remember the last time I spent more than $20 on any complete game in the last few years.

For what it's worth, I think that I enjoy the base mechanics of GOoH more than IV. The flight and the new powers are all really nice, the weapons are all pretty great (I just discovered the glorious combination of the armchair with guns and the Tower Summon power; the laziest massacre in the world), and the demons just seem more generally fun to fight than the aliens.

It's not perfect, and IV's definitely a more complete package, but it's solid enough that I'd say it's worth $20 if you really enjoy the idea of just loving around as a superhero in Hell, and you'd like to do that for a few hours without any real direction. If you're someone like me who needs some sort of story or completion to sink your teeth into, maybe not so much.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Jan 24, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

poptart_fairy posted:

It's even the exact same chart. :haw:

I wasn't disappointed about GOoH not having many cutscenes until I realized just how good the stuff it does have is. The scene where Jezebel meets with Gat is probably the best I've seen Saint's Row be in terms of writing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Austrian mook posted:

I think games are better when they're partially grounded in reality, but I'm sorry I didn't like your game.

E: Honestly the biggest issue I had with SR4 were the superpowers, which I found really boring most of the time and the idea that it's set in a virtual world. Part of the fun with doing ridiculous poo poo is that it's supposed to be real in the game, when you tell me that none of this destruction matters, nothing's real then how am I supposed to give a poo poo?

It actually does matter, they provide explanation for that. The explanation's pretty early, but the payoff isn't: The simulation doesn't have infinite reserves, and it's already being put to the test by having to keep the Boss contained. The mayhem you cause in the simulation not only allows Kinzie room to fill the alien mothership with viruses, it forces them to push even more resources from other systems into keeping you from causing immense damage.

The final missions involve you finally crashing the simulation, which is a system so integral to the mothership's computer that it takes down most of the ship's essential processes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Bravely Default is a great game that spends most of its time and effort being a sequel to the job-based classic FFs, with a special focus on V, and it does a lot to do all that right. I could go on for a long time about why everything it did in that respect was great, but instead, I'm going to go nuts about all the little things they did in the true final boss fight, that compound together and make for what might be my new favorite final boss ever.

The end boss is Ouroboros, a being who has been slowly linking myriads of parallel universes to gather enough power to stage an attack on the Celestial Realm, a vaguely-explained realm of beings above humans; all we know is that Ouroboros claims that the protagonist, Tiz, has the soul of one of its denizens. You fight him at the seat of his invasion, overlooking a tear in the void, beyond which is one of the many parallel worlds. He eats these worlds constantly throughout the fight, allowing him to heal himself completely, deal a lot of damage, and really demoralize your party as he casually destroys what they try to protect. This eventually proves too much for them, and they lose hope... until those worlds start sending prayers to break Ouroboros' hold and do crucial damage to him. The cutscenes that play as this happens are actually of other people's games; the people you've made contact with via StreetPass or over the internet, and the people you've summoned to lend a hand in your fights. They're dressed for the jobs that person has them as, so everyone's version of that particular scene will look completely different.

After that, Ouroboros gets a new move, Divergence. The character affected by Divergence can only do one thing: summon other people. You're forced to, on some level, rely on those people you're getting help from in-story anyway. That's not all yet, though; in the final leg of the fight, he finally manages to break through to the Celestial Realm, and calls that you behold it... as for the rest of the fight, the void tear showing the world is replaced by your 3DS' camera feed.

Basically, after spending the entire game outdoing the old-school FFs, Bravely Default uses every trick in the 3DS' hardware to try to outdo Earthbound as well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's this fact that makes me wish FFXII had a four-person party, because then I could just put the actual characters in that and leave the kids to their own devices.

Vaan is nothing but the party gofer. The adults decide important things in the back room of some tavern while he has the important task of going out and buying 99 potions and taking Balthier's vests to the laundromat.

You don't even need a fourth slot, your A-team is Balthier, Ashe and Basch. Fran is less pointless than the kids, but she's still ultimately irrelevant.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Fingerless Gloves posted:

FTL is all about getting vital information about the Rebels to the Empire, then fighting the Rebel flagship.

How is an empire so outgunned by the rebels when the empire is made up of about 5 times as many races, I just don't understand.

The Rebels are an organized uprising, against an actually fairly ramshackle federation that both isn't equipped and is barely willing to fight them. Out of all the races...

-The human systems are hit the hardest by the pro-human uprising, but they do at least want to fight.
-The Engi are cooperative, but conflict-averse. They supply the humans (and you), but don't want to fight themselves, and are too busy at war with the Mantis.
-The Zoltan don't want the fight to happen at all, and are generally organized enough to keep it off their doorstep. They'll take part if they have to, but they don't want to.
-The Mantis are at war with the Engi, which shows you how much they respect the federation and the concept of galactic peace.
-The Rock aren't impressed by either side, and have enough firepower to remain neutral by way of being too difficult for either side to deal with.
-If the Slugs are even part of the federation, they're keeping their head down and waiting for this all to blow over. Given how lovely their ships are, this is unsurprising.

Generally speaking, though, the federation in FTL is shown to be pretty good.The enhanced edition adds some pretty shady sidequests, and you yourself can be an utter rear end in a top hat, but the federation itself seems pretty okay.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Len posted:

The funny thing is there's posts in the "things dragging a game down" thread that go "Skyrim is bad because of how easy it is to break with enchanting" I will never stop being amused over the ability to break the game popping up in both threads.

Skyrim didn't remove the ability to break the game, it removed the ability to break the game in a fun way. You break Skyrim, there's not much to it, you just become an unstoppable knight. And sure, you can just be an unstoppable knight in Morrowind and Oblivion, but it's much more lucrative, and much more fun, to get creative and go loving insane. This is especially true in Morrowind, but Oblivion will let you flip out if you're clever too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
If you piss off the leader of Polystralia in Civilization: Beyond Earth and then try to talk to him, he'll call you a yobbo.

I could go on about how that's a really neat touch from a speculative fiction perspective, that it makes complete sense that a word's remained an insult by the same people, but the actual meaning and accepted context of it has shifted completely... but really I just love that he calls me a yobbo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I just got it yesterday, and I can't not love the fact that Monster Hunter 4 (and probably some of the earlier ones too) have both an axe that turns into a sword, and a sword that turns into an axe. Not only are they two entirely different weapons, but 'sword-axe' and 'axe-sword' are just basic weapon types, put right next to things like 'sword' and 'hammer'.

Also accompanying them: Bagpipes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So... to my knowledge the rhythm stages are remixes, what song was that? Or was that an original composition/a remix of something from the game itself?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Olaf The Stout posted:

Holy poo poo no one cares.

One little thing I like in FTL is that if your spaceship has a fire, you can vent O2 into space to put it out. If you have two vent points and depower oxygen at the same time, it vents much faster.

One of the ships in the game is designed around taking this away as its main downside.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Sounds to me like Bioware is exactly as skilled at dealing with morality as their games imply.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
One of the starting characters in Dungeon of the Endless is blatantly Samus Aran, it's great. I don't know how they expect me to pass up making my starting duo her and the special edition not-Doctor-Who character.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Mar 20, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Calaveron posted:

One of my favorite thing in games, especially RPGs and sadly it doesn't happen that often but when you're on your way to face the final boss or are facing the final boss and then it cuts to every single important NPC you met throughout the game praying for your and yours safe return and the prayers somehow reach you and empower you enough to decisively beat the final boss. It is loving fantastic.
Off the top of my head I can think of three games that do that; Paper Mario, Okami and of course, Earthbound.

I went on about how well Bravely Default does this earlier in the thread, but your prayers for help come from the games of other people you've interacted with via wireless/internet features. You see what sort of team they were running, and each vision has a different array of NPCs around them, so it all comes out as a really great rendition of this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lord Lambeth posted:

...What happens if you're a total hermit then? I hope it just cuts to a empty screen.

I believe it calls up about five or six people. Chances are pretty decent that at least one of them will be one of the two AI Friends that the game gives you as a just-in-case summon (which is also a pretty neat little thing for the game; if for some reason you can't use that feature, everyone gets pretty useful AI 'players' to summon anyway), but if it can't find someone to refer to then it will just say 'Someone's World' instead of an actual name, with everyone in their default clothes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Sad lions posted:

Somehow missed all of that. I just whack every chest I open (and by habit even ones I know are safe) before I go for it.
If there were a mimic variant that braved that first hit without reacting, I'd be murdered in no time.

Dark Souls 2 evolved methods against that: destructible chests.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

bewilderment posted:

10 feet is an exaggeration, it's still tall enough that you can't properly see the top from the bottom, but it's only like ten seconds from bottom to top.

Yeah, the way it actually works is that the ladder loop, and the song, start once you lose sight of the bottom. The loop ends when the song does, so it doesn't matter how much you actually ascended.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The faction quest for the Vaulters in Endless Legend includes a step where you need to destroy a city. Thoughtfully, they specifically point out that you don't have to do it yourself; you want the city gone, not yours, so it's up to you how you do it. The Drakken have a similar step in their quest, to take a city by any means necessary. Since it's only important that you get the city, they leave it up to you how you go about it. In both cases, it's just a really nice touch that you don't have to go for the most obvious route.

One of the factions has also got my favorite AI in a game for a long time. One of the civs can't wage war, so if he's decided he wants to fight you he instead trolls you as hard as possible diplomatically, trying to make you wage war just to shut him up.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Apr 29, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Chard posted:

Endless Space is a pretty great game and if you're enjoying the characterization you should check out Endless Legend, their newest game. It's a bit like Civ 5 but with a lot more heart and a similar hero-based combat/bonus system to ES. Each race is completely unique and in addition to like half a dozen potential victories that everyone can complete has a special "questline" victory condition that tells the story of their journey across Auriga.

I kind of like that at least one of the questlines turns out pretty poo poo for the race, too. The Drakken's quest ends with them getting brainwashed by an ancient artifact that makes them completely abandon their original beliefs, traditions and plans. In fairness, this probably was a good thing for the Drakken's organizational skills, whose questline up until that point had been characterized by a poorly-structured, schizophrenic form of governance.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:13 on May 2, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mokinokaro posted:

Endless Legend is actually a prequel to Space. You can find Auriga in ES but it's a long dead world only noteworthy for its vaults of underground alien artifacts.

And Dungeon of the Endless is a prequel to Legend. The survivors of the shipwreck in Dungeon likely became the original Vaulters, with the escape pod and crystal from Dungeon becoming the central focus of Legend's general quest victory. The narrator of the Vaulter's storyline in Legend is Opbot DV8, one of the playable characters in Dungeon. He might also be the one responsible for the shipwreck, but I might be making that up.

I love the way all the games are tied together like that. It's an ongoing story, but it's not actually central enough that you lose out by not knowing it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The Secret World's new DLC is fantastic for basically being an entire massive thing composed of fun little vignettes. (Spoilers beyond here, but it's irrelevant to the game's actual story.)

The big draw is climbing the tower that acts as the Orochi Group's headquarters--a massive conglomerate that consists of shadowy paranormal takes on real-world companies. Every floor takes things in a fun little direction without really letting it wear on too long. They try to fit in a bit of everything that's been in the game up until then, while trying to do something clever with it.

The best ones are the five stealth floors, though. There's an achievement for clearing them all without taking damage, which would be frustrating if they weren't great:
-Manticore (Lockheed-Martin) are testing automated weapons systems. This includes a lethal obstacle course that they're keeping score on via a whiteboard. One guy was disqualified for cheating.
-Plethron (Monsanto) are 'trying' to develop plants that are resistant to lightning strikes, acid rain, and fire. The labs have come to an agreement that what they're being asked to do is impossible, and have just left lightning towers and flamethrowers going on regular plants while they find the resources to fake a success.
-Sycoil (BP) have somehow unearthed an ancient killer robot that's massacred the entire floor and has started aimlessly patrolling for more targets. Probably the weakest of the stealth floors, but there's some interesting challenge in trying to read the evidence of what happened while trying to avoid robo-death.
-Anansi (Microsoft) employees have hijacked an extremely expensive virtual reality simulator and programmed a Pac-Man knockoff into it. While office memos scold them for it, it's at least better than the porn simulations they were doing before.
-And Faust (H&R, I think; a financial institution of some sort) is... a completely normal office, full of people working too diligently to pay attention to you. It is impossible to actually get caught, or even be in any way harmed, on this floor.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 05:18 on May 22, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
On top of Dota 2 having a bunch of responses for buying good items for a hero (one hero's got a response for buying a specific, ridiculously expensive and risky pair of items, another has one for buying four Aghanim's Scepters because that used to be a really good strategy), it's also got some lines for making extremely bad item choices. Buying Blink Daggers on heroes that can already blink gets you wondering why you bothered, Lifestealer gets offended if you buy a lifesteal item, and the hard supporting hero Warlock sounds genuinely worried if you buy him the high-risk damage item Divine Rapier.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Babe Magnet posted:

Is the Rick and Morty one out yet? because that one's going to own

Rick and Morty's in progress. So is SHODAN, which is apparently coming sometime around TI5.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I can appreciate a good rant, and I can appreciate this rant (in fact, thanks, even if you're accentuating the negative this all sounds like stuff I don't want in an Arkham game so I'll gladly skip it) but yeah, wrong thread.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Sad lions posted:

There's a lot of disdain for the federation in it but the rebels are openly human supremacists.
It's more a subversion of the 'rebels are the good guys!'.

A little bit late, but everything that goes on in FTL paints the Federation as overall being pretty good guys, if facing structural issues. Their biggest flaws are just stuff like 'they can't actually handle this right now'.

You, however, are quite possibly an rear end in a top hat. There's a lot of really shady choices you can make in FTL, but none of them can be excused as 'just doing what the guys on high tell you to'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Dragon Ball Xenoverse is exactly what it should be: gloriously stupid, and taking every opportunity to be even more gloriously stupid. The game's story is that your character's being sent through history to correct anomalies in the timeline, but Trunks' approach to it as he directs you through your trips seems to always be 'eh, good enough'. As far as he cares, as long as the right side of a battle wins, it doesn't matter how horribly wrong the sequence of events that led to it was. Which basically makes the entire game a playable twelve-year-old's self-insert fanfic, which is exactly what you want.

But in my book, it kicked up a notch when you get to the Ginyu Force. The big part of that whole saga is when Ginyu swaps bodies with Goku, so you know that's coming and can anticipate that it'll be a hard fight, since Goku's one of the harder opponents to fight when the AI pulls him out. It goes to a cutscene for that, and you watch it happen... only for one of the other Ginyus to accidentally knock you into the way of the attack. What follows is three different missions where you're playing as Captain Ginyu instead of your Original Character Do Not Steal, two of them against yourself. It's the only time I've seen that the AI actually gets to play as your character, and it will actually do so very well, making full use of all your moves. It's a cool way to do something with the appeal of a mirror match, but without actually being a mirror match. It's also really the only way to do that part of things in a way that improves it in a game like this, so I really like that they deviated in exactly that way.

...And then after you complete the Ginyu Saga you get the ability to train under Ginyu and learn the body-swap technique, because the game refuses to disappoint your wildest, stupidest hopes. You can also unlock Ginyu and Goku costumes for Goku and Ginyu, too.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Jul 1, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CJacobs posted:

Similarly, sometimes the cops keeping watch over the police station will be taking selfies with the Batmobile when you walk out. Gotham is very technologically conscious! :haw:

I saw on Twitter that there's a lore entry (not sure what it actually is, I haven't played Knight) of the Riddler getting harassed by an internet hate mob called CrusaderGate.

EDIT: vv Figures I'm wrong, but still.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Jul 2, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mokinokaro posted:

It was also old school to a fault in a lot of areas (THREE unlocking skills, really?) and just a bit on the bland side overall.

Speaking of, I'm playing Pillars of Eternity, and oh my god that game gets balancing 'old school' and 'modern' exactly right.

I have trouble going back to like, any western RPG before a certain point no matter how good they are, because RPGs show their age so painfully even in updates and re-releases. Baldur's Gate feels old beyond its years, largely because it's got a lot of mechanics that were relics of D&D 2e. Morrowind has a similar issue, where it's hard for me to pick up not because it's complex, or slow, or because of Cliff Racers, but because it has a lot of mechanics that just didn't have a place in the kind of game they were making.

Pillars of Eternity takes the direction I've always wanted to see. They basically built the Infinity Engine from the ground up, and then removed the outdated bullshit. It doesn't feel like a 'throwback game', it doesn't feel dumbed down, it just feels like they went back to those early games and learned the right lessons about how to make one. I didn't grow up with Infinity Engine games, but it doesn't feel like that's a prerequisite.

I just wish we got an equivalent from games I was closer to. My dream game now is basically just someone modernizing Morrowind in the same way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

death .cab for qt posted:

They're literally remaking Morrowind in the Skyrim engine, if mods are your thing :haw:

They are, but that's the wrong direction to go. Every Bethesda game is 'streamlined' more than those before it, and while that does mean that they fix the problems that cause those games to be hard to go back to, they do it at a cost of removing the complexity and personalization that were big draws of those games in the first place. I don't want to play Morrowind in the Skyrim engine, because that wouldn't carry over the things that make me want to play Morrowind. It's not just the setting I like, it's the heavy stat focus, very loose balance and heavy customization.

Maybe Skywind is more than just importing/remaking assets from Morrowind, I don't know. I haven't looked in a long time.

Sleeveless posted:

The ongoing effort to make an open-source version of Morrowind's engine is pretty far along, it'll probably be pretty mindblowing to play it on an engine that can actually use both CPU and GPU and can have a zillion quality-of-life improvements added.

This, though, I am looking forward to. It's exactly what the game would need.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

EmmyOk posted:

The end of 4 kind of retcons Big Boss into being much more of a good guy though

It was Peace Walker that sort of bridged the gap on this one. When he starts MSF and Mother Base he's basically just trying to protect people who can't protect themselves, while simultaneously trying to give soldiers a place that can call home. Basically just an upsized version of a neighborhood watch staffed by ex-police or something.

But over the course of Peace Walker, affronts against both his ideals and his base push him further and further. He's a good man underneath it all, but he's a good man with a nuclear option who's recruited at least one child soldier. Presumably, MGSV will showcase him going properly off the deep end.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
All this talk about FNAF almost makes me wish I could stomach it, it seems like it'd be a really nice puzzle game in line with some of what I enjoy and the story itself sounds kind of interesting. But I can't handle horror, especially jump-scare horror, so I really just can't manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Morpheus posted:

Not enough villains. So many just want to take over the world, or destroy it, or summon their dark god (for...reasons?), or gain great power, etc. None of them could possibly believe that was the right thing to do if they had any shred of sanity, or decent writing, in them.

I think the problem isn't that there are so many that want to destroy/take over/gently caress over the world for selfish or megalomaniacal reasons, it's that there are so many that are bad at it.

I just finished replaying Final Fantasy V for the Four Job Fiesta, and Exdeath is a fantastic 'just plain old super loving evil' villain. He's literally the most evil thing that has ever existed, born of throwing so many evil monster's souls into a tree that the tree itself became an evil monster. He wants to destroy the world not out of some complex reason, but because he's so evil that omnicide is the most appealing choice. And his entire thing would fall apart and be terrible if they didn't go whole-hog with it.

Exdeath has no redeeming qualities. Every time he appears, it is explicitly to do something to make you hate him even more, or for you to fight him. He doesn't pull his punches and just do small things, either; he fucks up the world map and destroys the protagonist's hometown just to piss him off. Exdeath is a Capital V Villain, only existing to be a horrible evil monster that you want to destroy, and he pulls it off perfectly. Kefka's similar in just being an utter monster, but they screwed up by making him somewhat sympathetic and occasionally ineffectual; things that might stop you from giving him your best and most painful shot. (EDIT: Exdeath's also very present, he actually steps in quite often for an RPG villain. Contrast with Kefka again, who just sits in a tower for half the game.)

Exdeath suits the game well, too. FFV is a drag-out bare-knuckle brawl between you and the game, with difficulty that doesn't hold back, and very rarely giving you easy avenues. It's a hard game, one that expects you to step up to meet it, and that means pitting you up against something that you'll be throwing your best at.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Jul 27, 2015