Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Or even better is going into a game with as little knowledge as possible, which is especially fun in Dark Souls or similar games with lots of "Gotcha!" moments to learn from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Kalos posted:

Jensen's an obvious case of being promoted above his ability. Dude could take down an entire better-equipped army even before he was a robotic sin against god, but he just has no idea how to strategize or delegate tasks. I'm not entirely sure if he even actually has subordinates.

Pillars of Eternity: In the year of our lord 2015 has finally made tanks useful in "real time with pause" gameplay. Any melee character is able to "engage" a certain number of enemies at which point they have to fight that character or get crazy attack bonuses against them while they disengage (rogues and the like obviously get some tricks to disengage at-will). Also: you can't clip through other characters and the maps give you enough choke points to exploit the poo poo out the previous fact. I've yet to find a single situation where a shield wall keeping the enemy in-check for my arquebusiers to pump volleys into them isn't foolproof.

A huge part of tanks being useless in games like that is them being partially to entirely based on DnD rules, which only recently tried to have mechanics to allow for tanking. Then the fanbase screeched enough to change it back.

Basically this is amazing and I can't wait to play this goddamn game.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Croccers posted:

Three of my settlers are running around with miniguns and it's great :allears:
One of them keeps stealing my power armours though.

Just make sure to grab the fusion core back out if you want to leave them lying around, that way they can't get in.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Dr Snofeld posted:

Speaking of Bioshock, I have lots of favourite things in Bioshock 2. One thing I like is that its best level, Fontaine Futuristics, is right near the end of the game and leads right into the finale, whereas Fort Frolic in the original is around the halfway mark and the levels that follow, of which there are several, cannot match up. I literally forgot all about the level where you get the parts for the Big Daddy suit until I was typing this post.

I had never really thought about that, it really is a stark difference from Bioshock 1. That level and the finale still remain one of my favorite video game sequences, with the best little thing being the description of the overpowered plasmid you're given near the end: It's Bring Your Daughter to Work Day!

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I think the statistics could be more or less mind blowing, but that's depending on what an x% change in kills with a weapon means. The graph he showed was date vs. some percentage, and then the result they give is more/less kills.

If it's just "people got more kills with this weapon overall when we encouraged them to use it more by increasing the rarity color" that seems to fit their intentions perfectly. Rarity better reflecting effectiveness. It's still neat that it worked, but not some mindfreak insanity.

But with the percentage is it like the percentage of encounters using that weapon that resulted in kills? That stat going up would mean players are actually being more effective with the same exact gun.

If anyone knows weird video game math, educate my rear end.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Nude posted:

Similar idea in heavy rain where there is a tense moment and all of a sudden a big R2 button appears on the screen, if you hit it you shot and kill the person you are trying to negotiate with if you wait you both make it out alive. Thought it was a cool way to emulate impulsive behavior.

And David Cage did that before in his previous game Indigio Prophecy (or Farenheit), where the main character is being questioned by a detective when giant weird green bugs start falling from the cieling. The screen gives you the GET READY message and the QTE prompt comes up. Except it's a hallucination, so successfully doing the prompt to dodge the bugs makes you look totally insane.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Cleretic posted:

I consider Ocarina a 'time capsule' game. These days not necessarily something that can stand on its own because there's been so many innovations in that field (although it does stand better in that respect than a lot of other 'time capsule' games), but one that's so clearly and unmistakeably of its time that it's harder to judge it by modern metrics, and a lot easier to consider it a product of its time, which is usually much more favorable to it.

OoT is in that basket with FFVII, Deus Ex, Sonic Adventure 1, MGS1 and 2, and a few others.

Same idea in "seeing further by standing on the shoulders of giants", where you have to respect that the sick nasty features we love today are almost entirely iterative innovations on these older games.

Sonic Adventure I think is "of its time" in that I was an idiot who asked for a Dreamcast for Christmas and couldn't fathom that the game is godawful. Although it does have a little thing I still really like, which are the little voice clips after you get your score for a level.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In fact, all the traps in that game were so much fun - especially once someone told me that if you click the alert button a second time you could turn off the horrible alarm noise and keep your minions moving at a brisk pace without risking a headache.

Holy poo poo I loved that game but stopped playing it because of that, I wish I had known about turning the sound off.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Fingerless Gloves posted:

What, no. There's a wide range of favourites from the series, mostly between Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild.

And they're all wrong, the best is Majora.

I've been playing a lot of Cultist Simulator recently and while there is a lot to not like about it, the abstractness of the goals leads well to being completely mystifying, like you're delving into some real shiteach time.

Also I still get creeper out when I catch followers blinking out the corner of my eye

The delay between blinks is the perfect amount of time for you to decide you're going to watch for it but then get a little bit distracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Twitch posted:

I know this was a few pages back, but the best lockpicking minigame is in Metal Gear Solid V. There is no minigame, it's just something that takes a few seconds when you could be in a potentially dangerous situation.

Something about seeing that for the first time in Ground Zeroes was so pleasing to me.

"Okay, snake has to pick locks now."
"Well it makes sense he'd be really good at it and just kinda do it. Hell yes."