Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is full of little touches.

When you have a piranha in your aquarium, it'll follow you around and try to bite you through the tank.

If you play a song through a record player instead of a stereo or something, you'll get the little scratches that you hear with old LPs.

I love this dumb game.
Even cooler is that these things have been happening in Animal Crossing since the very first Animal Crossing--at least the piranha thing. The record-player scratches are definitely in Wild World, if not further back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I never played any of the Metal Gear games, but after reading here about so many little things throughout the series, I've begun watching Chip Cheezum's Let's Plays and am enjoying them immensely. Even the earliest games had what we'd now call typical Kojima touches. I look forward to seeing what he'll do with del Toro on Silent Hills.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bob Morlock posted:

Something I only just now discovered in Animal Crossing: New Leaf: if you trip and fall (due to bad luck) while holding a balloon, the balloon will slip from your hand and float away. Your character even looks up after it as it glides off-screen.
Bad luck, indeed. :smith:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

You are all bad Mayors.
You're only mayor in New Leaf. Any other game, you're under no obligation not to be an rear end in a top hat.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

scarycave posted:

In FFV, they tried to use a phoenix down and various healing spells on a dead character. In a cutscene.
Didn't work, but I think this is the only time in a FF game where they actually tried to revive someone like that.
They did that in FFIV, too. Okay, it was a pair of petrified characters, and they used Heal and other spells on them in a cutscene, then gave you the opportunity to waste your own healing items on them in a pop-up item window.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

Another Animal Crossing New Leaf one. I shot down a balloon present but it landed in the river, and my mayor immediately looked shocked and sad. :3:
Like many favorite little things in Animal Crossing, this happened at least as far back as Wild World on the DS--complete with the Harsh Chord of Shock and Dismay. :3:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

Couldn't you do that with some of the old Final Fantasies? Maybe that was just the background graphic....
Yeah, just the background colors/graphics in the dialogue boxes. Although I know the Japanese GBA port of FF4 lets you choose between all kana (as it was in the original SFC version) or a more reasonable mix of kana and kanji for the dialogue.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Doesn't Undertale have goon ties? (I did notice that Everdraed did the trailer.) I downloaded it via a banner ad here ages ago--I guess it was just a demo; I didn't get too far into it at the time--and was pleasantly surprised yesterday to be hearing all these good things about it now that it's on Steam. Sounds like a good time to play it again.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Chard posted:

Kojima loves Bowie so much that in the character creator you have to pick each eye color individually. Heterochromia iridum is the default.
Bowie's eyes are both blue. One pupil is permanently dilated after a serious eye injury. :eng101:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I think Portal 2 might, like MSGV does. How'd you do in hypersleep? Look up. Jump. And so on. I don't know how much of it translated to mapped buttons (I haven't played it myself), but it would make sense if it did.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Cleretic posted:

My favorite thing about Bravely Default, putting aside everything about it basically being FFV-2, is that it lets you change the encounter rate. If enemies around you are bullshit, or you need to go back and heal, just turn the encounter rate to zero and go do that! Alternatively, while I never found reason to, if you want to grind or something then you can double the encounter rate instead. Given how random encounters are sort of a big pain of JRPGs, especially Square-Enix's, it was a great solution to the problem while still actually having them (since they are way better than fixed encounters for more number-crunchy RPGs).
I appreciate that; I always made a beeline for the no-encounter charms/spells/accessories/Magicites/whatever, or plugged in no-encounter codes when possible. I remember DQ9 (and some older FFs, at least; I stopped playing kind of early on) had a spell or item that would put you into an on-demand battle, which was handy for grinding specific enemies in specific areas (Pink Puffs, anyone?).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I really like that. Especially when you can see all the results of what you've done. Hell, in Earthbound it's the only way to actually hear what your bicycle sounds like underwater.
When do you go underwater in Earthbound? I can't picture it. I know there are underwater segments in Mother 3, but no bicycle.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I bought Dragon Quest Heroes since I have a console now. I put it in, turned on the game, the music started, and I got punched in the face with nostalgia. So there's that. I like that.

I hope there's a part where someone constantly asks "Dost thou love me?"

Edit: Holy poo poo the dialogue is incredibly cheesy I love every bit of it.

Edit 2: I just went super Saiyan. This owns.
I love the consistency throughout the DQ series--music/SFX especially, but also character design, enemies, overall tone. You can pick up any DQ-titled game and feel that rush of nostalgia. I'm playing DQ Theatrhythm now and really digging it, and now I see I might have to pick up DQ Heroes, too. :allears:

I never played a DQ game growing up, though I watched others play; I was more into FF. I started feeling like the FF series took itself way too goddamn seriously, though, so I'm firmly in the DQ camp now.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

jivjov posted:

I just discovered a fun little thing in Pokemon Picross. For those who haven't played it, its a Picross game where you can set up to 5 pokemon with various abilities to help you solve the puzzles. Certain levels will have objectives requiring you to set a certain pokemon, or only use a certain ability. I had a level that required you to set a Legendary pokemon (the ones with ridiculously long cooldown times that you can't even throw freemium currency at to shorten) and use the Scatter Reveal ability (randomly reveals squares on the board; stronger pokemon reveal more squares).

I went ahead and set Darkrai; a Legendary pokemon with the Scatter Reveal ability. Darkrai will reveal up to 120 squares, and I used him on a 10x10 puzzle. For those playing along at home, you'll notice that a 10x10 puzzle only has 100 squares to reveal. The puzzle started, Scatter Reveal fired up, revealed every square on the puzzle, instantly ending the puzzle and completing every objective with absolutely no effort on my part.
This is a great way to solve smaller puzzles with tight time limits, since you can effectively fill in every square of a 10x10 puzzle in literally no time at all on the game clock.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

In Dragon Quest 8 you get a spell part way through the game called Zoom, which let's you fly off to any most places in the world that you have previously visited. The catch is that you can't use it inside buildings, otherwise you fly up into the sky, only to bonk your head on the ceiling. I ended up accidentally casting the spell under a bridge while in town and yup, I managed to bonk my head on the bottom on the bridge.

I appreciate the consistency Level 5.
The DQ series is full of great little details. :3: And as far as consistency goes, I think that's been true of Zoom/Loula since the spell's debut.

A favorite little game thing found elsewhere: Weblio, the online J<>E dictionary I use most often in my work, has entries for FF and DQ spells and other terms, including variations thereof when they've changed names over time. It comes in handy.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

The opening of Lonely Rolling Star from Katamari Damacy makes for a rad, chill gamer ringtone because even if you don't feel like busting out Audacity and making a nice neat loop it's just long enough to cut to voicemail before the vocals hit.
The tiny tune that plays when the Prince wanders around in KD2 is also extremely chill and loops beautifully. It doesn't really get your attention like a ringtone should, and I'd gladly leave it ringing too long just to listen to it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

LARA iirc. Using the shoulder buttons.
Even better, the password got localized: it's LALA in the Japanese version. :eng101:

Which I didn't realize as I played the Japanese version with English guides online. :eng99:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

I've been playing Day of the Tentacle Remastered (since it was only a dollar a change in this Steam bundle since I already owned all the other games) and I really like the way they integrated the remastered content. You can choose any combination of original and remastered graphics and sound in the options but you can also switch between the original and the remastered versions on the fly.

http://i.imgur.com/aQa3Knd.mp4

The fact that the original has enough fidelity for the remaster to actually just smooth out the pixels instead of giving it a garish new art style like the Money Island remaster helps a lot.
I grew up playing the original Lucasarts games on C64 (:corsair:) and apart from the early PC collections on 3.5" floppies, I never played a truly modern remaster until Monkey Island came out on Steam. I still don't like the new art style, but that one lets you switch between versions on the fly, too. (I keep it oldschool. :3:)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The switch between old/new styles is definitely way more jarring (to put it mildly) than in Day of the Tentacle, but as you pointed out, DotT already had a new, more cartoony art style that "upconverted" really well.

Man, I should play Monkey Island again...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The switch between old/new styles is definitely way more jarring (to put it mildly) than in Day of the Tentacle, but as you pointed out, the original DotT already had a new, more cartoony art style that "upconverted" really well. Similarly, I never played DotT because it looked so unlike Maniac Mansion, and that turned me off.

Man, I should play Monkey Island again...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Caphi posted:

A weird one from Final Fantasy XV: if you change the text language from English, it also changes the distances to map markers from miles and feet to km and m, and the measurements of fish you catch to cm and g.
I like this. I always include U.S. measurements for metric stuff that comes up in my J-E translations, though I'm not sure they end up being used. I figure if you need the spoken language turned into something you can understand, you can probably stand to have the measurements converted, too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Stelio Kontos posted:

Stardew Valley is almost entirely comprised of little touches. My favorite little thing is that after getting married there is a "hug your spouse" button :3:
That's what the "talk to spouse" button turns into once you've run out of things to say. Pretty realistic!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Red is Dead posted:

FFXV

Prompto has the best lines, either when he's singing "I want to ride my chocobo all day" or The final fantasy X (memory is shady on that) victory theme whenever they successfully come out of a fight.
That's been the FF battle victory theme since the very first game.

eta: There are a few exceptions in recent history, though, and they went back to the classic theme for XIV. This is one of my favorite Little Things: I especially love the music/jingle continuity in the DQ series, and the Zelda series, too.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 16:42 on May 24, 2017

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite little thing in another game the devs made, Cargo, references their previous game, The Void. In The Void you collect drops of Color which serve as your everything; health, resources, defense, etc. You never have enough and it is measured literally in drops for an entire "world". In Cargo, the plot is that the demigods of wherever you end up are looking for a new fuel source; they settle on Fun. Halfway through the game they mention that they switched to Fun because the last thing they used, Color, sort of sucks and is bullshit, so they end up dumping a few hundred thousand gallons of it into the ocean for the rest of the game.
This reminds me of the gas-less chainsaw in Maniac Mansion and the tank of chainsaw gas in Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Maybe. Maybe not.

I know that Slash/flea/etc etc were, in Japan, something like Mustard, Ketchup, Soy Sauce.
It's generally accepted that Ayla was named after the character in Clan of the Cave Bear, yeah. One Japanese translation featured "Ayla" right there in the title.

And yeah, Ozzie was Vinegar, Slash was Soy Sauce, and Flea was Mayonnaise (and a flamboyant gay man)--but the weird thing looking back (to this translator, anyway) is that Soy Sauce and Mayonnaise were both spelled without the final character, so it was more like Soy Sau and Mayonnai. :iiam:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm gonna crowbar in a different game to break up Prey chat and say that I really like the newer translation in Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions.
Is that the one that first came out on the PSP, basically a remake of the original FFT? I worked on the retranslation. :3: Glad you like it!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tsunemori posted:

Wowsa, FFT has always been my favourite game ever and I own it across all platforms and have played it repeatedly forever. Do you have an Ask Me thread about your work in the new translation? Because I would love to know more!
There's not much to it: Some ten years ago, one or more translators at an agency delivered a product that wasn't up to SQEX's standards (the original FFT script?), SQEX asked for it to be rewritten, and the agency handed the text off to me. I did some fresh translation as well as the rewriting work. It was pretty fun, as I remember, and I got my name in the credits. :)

I suppose one of my favorite little things in games is when companies care enough to fix translations that weren't up to par the first time around. Has FF7 been retranslated yet?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I just realised could be an interesting inversion of usual mechanics just came to mind - a game where the DBZ Saiyan methodology comes into play - the more you lose the stronger you get until you finally are able to beat the game.
That brings to mind the Chicken Knife that first debuted in FFV: the more you ran from battle, the stronger it got, with the potential of surpassing Ragnarok--whereas the Brave Blade started out stronger than Ragnarok, but got significantly weaker with every battle you ran from, even before you obtained it.

The Ultima Weapon in FFVI (Atma Weapon to olds like me) was less forgiving: it dealt more damage when your HP was high (vis-a-vis your max HP), and less when it was low.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Thank you for telling me there's a Necrodancer expansion. I love this game.
And thanks for posting about Necrodancer at all--I'd never heard of it! Now it's on my Steam wishlist. (I bet it was part of their Halloween sale. Oh, well.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Crypt of the NecroDancer (and its AMPLIFIED prequel DLC) is on sale for 80% off on Steam! Thanks again for getting it onto my radar.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brain In A Jar posted:

Also, there was a typing game in there called Epistory that I went in decidedly unexcited about, only to discover it's a jawdroppingly beautiful mix of Typing of the Dead and 2D Zelda games.
And that's another game for my wishlist. I'm downloading the demo now. Thanks!

(Crypt of the Necrodancer is great, btw. Hard, but really fun and addictive. I get that scrolling-to-the-beat thing after I play, too. :3:)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Necrodancer was super hard for me as well and I consider myself decent at rhythm games. It's not entirely the same skillset since you're not just following the rhythm, you have to recognize patterns and make decisions to the rhythm.

Enemies and behaviors are incredibly predictable though so it's literally a case of practice makes perfect. I can nail down wins on a daily basis now but it took a decent effort to get there.
I initially made the mistake of just mashing into minibosses to attack instead of moving in and away to the beat/with their pattern. That made a big difference. Noodling around in the easier Dancepad Mode helps, too.

My current favorite little thing in this game is how the merchant sings along when he's in earshot. Dude's got lungs!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mondian posted:

Is that supposed to be a portmanteau of 'pal' and 'calico'?
Yep! :3:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've never played HZD, but I'm a little discomfited to learn that I share a name with a prominent tribe in that game.

This might have come up here before, but one of my favorite little things in Stardew Valley is the mod that turns your farm pony into Kate Beaton's Fat Pony. :3:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Is the game translated by the same team that translates the Dragon Quest games?
I think so--the first one was, wasn't it?--and that's why you should give more credit to them on Hoi Den: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hoyden

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Croccers posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/588950/Kingsway/

Old post but you'll at least dig the aesthetics of this game.
I was just going to mention Kingsway. It's available from Twitch for free this month (i.e., today) if you have Amazon Prime. I just started playing it yesterday, and I really enjoy it. The aesthetics are a big part of it, and the windows become part of gameplay, too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

The Labyrinth adventure game was pretty cool for the time, it even does a Wizard of Oz thing where it starts out as a text adventure and then becomes graphical when Jareth shows up and whisks you away to the labyrinth.
It was tough, too--I don't think I ever beat it. Thank God for the Internet, where I've seen playthroughs/endings of so many games I never quite got through back in the day.

Here's a SSLP from the archive if anyone's interested: https://lparchive.org/Labyrinth/

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That's not all localization, though: that's good (Japanese) writing. And this is speaking as a translator. There's plenty of lovely writing that gets blamed as bad translation, so it's only fair to praise the original writers when the dialogue and story shine. Credit where credit is due! Although yes, the Yakuza series overall has good translation/localization, if I do say so myself. ;)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Ive always appreciated the translation in the Dragon Quest series. It's always full of corny puns and inventive names (DQ7 had some great location names in particular), and every character feels like they have their own voice.
Yes, that's one series where the translation itself really shines, even from the very beginning, when the text was simpler but still presented in a unique way. The writing is fine and solid and all--the games are still extremely entertaining in Japanese--but the English flourishes are all on the translators, and they do a fantastic job. Those punny names aren't in the originals, but are absolutely in keeping with the spirit of the series. I'd love to work on a DQ title someday, but they have a pretty tight-knit team (and for good reason).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

"Da" is Irish; was that sort of what the accent was going for? (I've only just started the game myself.)