Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

Edit: And the racist driver was a really good moment because I think it's the first time I've seen a game tackle the concept of dog whistles, because rather than just have him scream slurs from the back of a pickup truck he, at first, says seemingly nice things that your character (And probably you the player) won't pick up on right away, but your partner immediately realises is an insult towards him.
If you (the player) have experienced anything like that IRL, you will absolutely pick up on it right away. I've watched a lot of streams of the game waiting for it to come out, and seeing streamers react to that part was a trip, 'cause their reactions told a lot about their life experiences, ranging from people who immediately got what was going on, to the ones who were wishy-washy until your partner spelled it out, to the ones who thought he was overreacting up until the driver went "I'm not *just* a racist." Game accounts for all those reactions too.

One of my favorite little things about Disco Elysium is the moments when it tackles stuff like that, and has balls to do so unapologetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU