Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Metroid Prime managed to give more character to people who didn't even appear than most games can manage with their main characters. Science Team was fantastic.

Is it that time again?

It's that time again.

quote:

"Samus Aran, the accursed Hunter, has arrived. The sudden arrival of the Hunter is strange enough, but her actions are stranger still. She does not seek our destruction, but our Phazon. With each raid, she steals Phazon ore, only killing those who attempt to deny her. What she needs it for we do not know - though Science Team suspects she requires it to power her new armorsuit. Dark in color, it is equipped with strange new weapons. The troops now call her the "Dark Hunter." It is a fitting title."

quote:

Another hunter, wearing the traditional colors of Samus Aran, made planetfall today. Horrific as it may sound, there are two of them now. We are bracing for a new assault. This dire turn of events may bear some good will. One of our scouts in Dark Aether saw a curious encounter. The Dark Hunter attacked the one clad as Samus near a Phazon site. Perhaps they are not allies...but foes. Perhaps we can forge an alliance with the Dark Hunter - an exchange, Phazon for the head of our common enemy."

quote:

Our attempts to intercept the Federation ship departing Aether were unsuccessful. With them went a collection of Phazon, the first to fall into Federation hands. They foolishly left most of the Phazon behind, allowing us to quickly collect what we could. But in our haste we took more than mere Phazon. Our scanners have detected the remains of Dark Samus, who has revived herself within our Phazon storage.

Surely, we are cursed.

The fiendish shrew consumed all of the Phazon, then wiped out a third of the crew in a matter of minutes. Now she moves at will through the halls of Colossus, using her witchery to beguile the minds of the crew. We are unable to call for aid, and only a few of us remain to stand against her. All is lost."

quote:

"Our struggles have ended. She has shown us the error of our ways. The way is now clear. All previous vows of fealty have been forsworn: we now pledge sole allegiance to our liberator, the great one, Dark Samus. We bear a singular honor, we lucky few, for we are her first disciples. Our burden is a happy one, for we will pave the way to her glorious victory and cosmic rule. Let the light of Phazon lead us!"

quote:

Science Team is attempting to reverse-engineer Samus Aran's arsenal, based off data acquired from her assaults on our forces. Progress is slow, but steady. Command would dearly enjoy turning Aran's weapons against her. We believe we can implement Beam weapon prototypes in three cycles. Aran's Power Suit technology remains a mystery, especially the curious Morph Ball function. All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster; four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes. Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, it becomes clear that the puzzles you're solving are reviving the machine section by section, and at one point you find the skeletonized remains of the guy who used to be in charge of making it run. Kairo was pretty neat.

wait, poo poo, it's tiggum again, no wonder

And it's done without a single line of dialogue. An hour or so in you just get that slamming revelation of "poo poo, this is a giant nuclear reactor"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

It's been over a decade and no game has made a better keyboard interface for controllers than Beyond Good & Evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euquOpUmUyk

Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory (a.k.a. The Best One) had a similar one, but it was all on one flat circle, so you could flick across to jump from say, A to M.

You literally used it once, to input your name for multiplayer. But it owned.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Insonix posted:

"When the time of snow comes, do not eat the yellow snow"

An advice given during loading on the witcher wild hunt. This thread is about to be flooded by the wild hunt's posts. Holy poo poo the detail on everything is insane.

That's a very vague plot spoiler, but has got me so pumped. gently caress yeah Tedd Dereid

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

An actual little thing in Phantom Pain :
The game just wished me happy birthday, and I was treated to a little cutscene of Ocelot and all his soldier buddies presenting Big Boss with a cake that they baked.

And he then tries to light his cigar from the candles.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

It actually does nothing, don't waste your time.

The best part about the water pistol is you can upgrade it twice, and even across all three levels, it does absolutely nothing but slightly annoy people.

It lets you take out comms dishes, radars and generators in an almost but not quite stealthy way.

It also forces you to play much more carefully, when you can't just reflex-tranq every dude in sight.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

This was, and always will be, a very memorable and iconic scene to me. I can now no longer separate the song from the video game, and honestly I'm okay with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK9uPRlZDq0

Link for your convenience. 15 years ago this was legit as gently caress.

Return to Kharak is by far one of the most emotional sequences in any videogame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQYds69ZLTw

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Very sad that Codsworth in Fallout 4 doesn't recognize the name of my character, Janet, but he does call me "Mum" instead which is an acceptably cute substitute. :3:

Oh my goodness, I always thought that American's were taking the piss when they said that.

He's calling you "Ma'am"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Well now I'm doubting everything I know.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Godammit I thought I'd caught a live one :(

That is adorable. All the Mr Handys I've met so far have been just as much fun. Especially the stoner.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

Why even have him execute the body double if they are going to kill him moments later anyway

I wasn't really paying attention when this happened, and was convinced that Hitlers body double killed him and then ran away to start a new life in South America.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

:stare:
You made me remember!
I want to forget!

What happens to Dakkon? I just chatted philosophy with him all game

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Isn't one of the endings to just go "gently caress the consequences lol" and will yourself and the final boss out of existence, or am I misremembering?

You've merged the non standard game overs with the threats you can make at the end.

There's only one ending - ending merge with the Forsaken One/your own mortality and be sent to hell to fight in the blood war. You can do this by threatening to will him/yourself out of existence, threaten to commit suicide with the most magic sword ever, talk him into it, or just beat the crap out of him

There's two additional endings in the Vision Statement they released, which is well worth a read. The one in the game is what they call the neutral ending, but is vastly less sad than the alternatives:

imprison the forsaken one, and roam the planes as an immortal forever

wake up back in the mortuary with no memories, trapped forever in the cycle

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dark Souls chat:
DS3 is based on the DS1 and DeS, but the areas are all decayed and ruined versions of the originals (it's like poetry it rhymes)

One of the iconic areas in DeS is a giant bridge full of zombies, and a huge dragon keeps swooping down and spewing fire across it. Your options are to dodge the dragon, or risk the underside of the bridge which is cramped, dark, and full of rabid dogs.

In DS3 the bridge is cracked and ruined, and the zombies and the dogs are too busy fitting each other. If you step right to the edge of the ruined section you can see the mangled body of the dragon lying in a pile of rubble.

I'm fairly certain I'm about to find Ash Lake again, and I am pumped as hell.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My favourite little thing in that little thing in games:

The"magic spell" that Geralt uses is Elvish for "Hello you bloody human"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Ah, so they're basically Nobodies from Kingdom Hearts - thought to have no emotions, but it's just a convenient lie.

Almost every description and rumour about Witchers is shown to be incorrect.

"Witchers don't have emotions"
*Geralt spends three hours brooding on philosophy*

"Witchers are lecherous freaks"
*Geralt falls madly in love with every girl he meets*

"Witchers only care about money"
*Geralt turns down payment from impoverished peasants*

"Witchers don't get involved in politics"
*Geralt commits regicide*

Killing Henselt in the second game was brilliant, fucker deserved it and it showed what a massive hypocrite Geralt really is.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, do they say why that is? I would've thought a dragon would be high on a Witcher's "poo poo I gotta murder at least once" list.

Dragon's are sentient and rational, so it would literally be murder, which is still a big no-no. Witchers don't want reputations as murderers, no matter how many murders they commit.

Also they're big and breathe fire and could kill you in an instant if you make the slightest mistake. It's entirely feasible that Witchers made that rule just so that some other sucker will take em down looking for glory and fair maidens hands.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

swamp waste posted:

I haven't played Witcher 3 yet but i like that it seems to be embracing the awesome/ridiculousness of Renaissance clothing.

There's a book by a 16th century accountant named Matthaus Schwarz where he narrates his life across a series of pictures of cool outfits he wore and it's really fascinating and strange to me. He'll show himself like digging a grave for his third stillborn child (guessing it's the third because there are two skulls in the grave already) while looking mad stylish. I couldn't find that picture but for example

16th century was a dick pants century

That's from 2, the rein in the outlandishness a touch for the third game, which is a massive shame. It's not even close to bad, just less distinctive. The sorceresses in particular go from renaissance-punk to generic fantasy wenches.

I am now a fan of Schwarz though:

Do you know what the text says? I read neither german nor handwriting.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Junkrat has two different waves, one normal, one when his left hand is holding his remote detonator. Game's loving polished.

If it's so polished then why does Reapers reload animation show differently for him and other players? In first person he chucks his guns in front of him, but other players see him chuck them behind him. My immersion!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Also in Dota 2: everyone gets a random hero, and then has to draft-pick abilities out of every hero that got drawn (plus a couple others). Unbalanced as hell, but nobody gives a poo poo.

My favourite little thing in that was how so many people insist on picking passives and carry skills only to get utterly shut down by one guy with nukes and stuns.

The best gimmick build I ever found was sticky napalm, permanent invisibility and either dark pact or shackle. They proc the napalm about 10 times a second, so even a few stacks will explode any hero.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I remember liking Advent Rising for the pretty simple action game that it was. Shame about never getting the sequels, but I'm not crying over it

There were so many cool bits in AR that just didn't quite work.

Dual wield any gun! Reload assault rifles one handed!

Until you want to use your psychic powers, which bizarrely take up a hand slot.

Powers adapt as you play!

Spend 5 minutes back flipping and making mind shields to rank up.

Epic baroque coral music!

That fades in and out at random.

Awesome array of vehicles!

Crap vehicles.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

Dark Souls III has a poison swamp area littered with large fires that people constantly drop down "bonfire ahead" signs for and it makes me feel happy when I see one of those signs, and then bloodstains slightly further up next to a giant crab guarding a non-bonfire fire

"Beware of pincer attack"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

My favorite thing about the Witcher is that Geralt is poo poo at everything that isnt "Being a Witcher".

Speak for yourself. My Geralt was an awesome dad.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nohman posted:

It'll be interesting to see the Final Fantasy VII remake if they remember how goddamn goofy that game actually was with stuff like Hojo chilling out on a holiday weekend surrounded by babes in a full lab coat or President Shinra doing an evil overlord roleplay with hookers in the slums. Or if it'll go the all serious brooding anime all the time like everything in the extended FF7 universe trash.

The Advent Children extended version reinstates a lot of the goofy. R---- makes bla blam noises while firing machine guns.

Also apologising for "mother schmuther, it's Jenovas fricking head"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"The hospital administrator is cheating"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In Dark Souls 2 the Emerald Herald isn't technically a Fire Keeper, she still has her eyes and everything. She was created by Aldia and Vendrick as a way to beat the Undead Curse by merging souls with the Ancient Dragons.
:goonsay:

DS2 really didn't make a lot of sense.

Oceiros is my favourite little thing in DS3. After climbing down and deeper into a spooky castle, you're suddenly confronted with a hideous mutated dragon man who attacks you saying, paraphrased, "ahh, you've finally come for me, just a matter of time i suppose"

Dude, I don't even who you are. Nobody loving knows you. We have more important poo poo going on, which you haven't noticed cos you've been down here for ages being all weird and creepy.

He then spends the whole fight talking to an invisible dragon baby. He's got some issues.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

DO4M includes the phrase "Demonic presence at unsafe levels: Lockdown in effect" which is a pretty good summary of 90% of videogame plots.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Ironically, compared to 90% of videogame plots that message is entirely appropriate and justifiable for UAC's Mars Division, both in and out of universe. :v:

It's an automated message, which implies that this is something of a regular occurrence on the base. And the phrase "unsafe levels" immediately raises the question of - what the heck is the *safe* level? It's a brilliant line.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, they created an entire third version of the level AND a massively changed version of the previous area all for a single optional thing that is easy to overlook. It's nuts and super cool.

Fourth* You can knock him out too

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Nov 17, 2016

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CJacobs posted:

That's what they were referring to.

I thought they were talking about if you kill him Either way, it's an awesome touch.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Elfgames posted:

also wailord is a drat blimp it can be less dense than air if it wants to.

Doesn't Onyx have the density of hydrogen?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Samovar posted:

...no, it has the density of silicon dioxide, on average.

Dammit I meant Onix.

Bulbapedia gives Onix's length as 8.8m and it's weight as 210kg. If we assume it's about a metre in diameter that gives it a volume of 28 cubic metres, and a density of 7.5 kg m^-3. Even if we drop it to half a metre in diameter that's still a density of only 30.

I would make a joke that Onix should be renamed Pumice, but even Pumice is 250 kg m^-3.

At a density of 30 kg/m^3 Onix would float in a lake of liquid hydrogen. And at 7.5 he would float in room temperature tungsten hexafluoride, a gas.

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Nov 24, 2016

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Penpal posted:

GTA did it

Mass Effect 2 was/is free and I haven't played it since it came out. After spending 15 minutes babysitting my crew dudes it's refreshing to enter an area that is obviously laid out for combat. Why else would this space-hospital have a giant room with symmetrically placed, waist high equipment if not for zombie Sheppard to tear poo poo up in

I like the space prison that has folding walls, ready for any impromptu fire fight.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Little thing in Diablo III - the Witch Doctor is the goofiest motherfucker around.

He's meant to be a light-hearted take on necromancy, so you do things like summon hands clawing their way out of the ground, hordes of zombie dogs (that you can detonate in gory explosions) and hideous Frankenstein things.

You can also throw jars of spiders. Or summon a rain of frogs like your name is Moses. Or summon a tornado full of pirahanas that lifts enemies into the air and then rains dead fish all over the ground.

You can summon and endless stream of zombies that climb onto each others shoulders and collapse on enemies like a human jenga tower.

One of your off-hand items is literally a snake.

There's a move called "Snake to the Face" where you shoot a snake out of your blowpipe (with a loud FOOF noise) and it bites people's face and waggles around while chewing on their nose.

My current build involves 30 voodoo dolls with huge toothy grins and terrible wigs that hop after enemies and stab them with tiny knives, while giggling loudly. At the same time I turn the enemies into exploding chickens and shoot flaming dogs at them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nordick posted:

. And probably something else I'm forgetting.

The giant frog that grabs people with its tongue.

The zombie crocodile that leaps out of the piranha pond and drags enemies under water. Including bosses.

The giant floating ghost head that spits acid.

Bouncing ghost bombs.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I appreciate that the trailer for Hitman's boxed edition makes absolutely no bones about how loving up and learning is part of the process, without being PREPARE TO DIE poo poo.

It's definitely an increase in professionalism over their last trailer, that looked like it was made by the loving chucklebrothers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_6qXsOrK4

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

A friend went through the Stanley Parable after I raved about it, but they just did exactly what the narrator guided them to do the whole way through the "main" path, got to the end and didn't try it again because they'd completed it.

And here we have unambiguous proof that p-zombies exist and walk among us.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Well, yeah. Pretty much.

It reminds me of The Path (a pretentious Red Riding Hood based game all about virginity, menstruation, rape and other artsy things) that starts with direct instructions to stay on the path. First thing I did was turn 90 degrees and run into the woods.

Who the hell follows instructions when a game gives you the choice not to? That's where all the good loot is!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

As someone who only plays single player, I quite liked 6 and never bought 5 because the partner AI and inventory managed to piss me off just in the demo.

Does Leon's suplex in 4 count as a little thing for this thread? Because I loved that for about a third of the game, his stun attack was a suplex instead of the more restrained kick.

Best little thing in 4 was the neck break in Mercenaries mode. the wiimote makes a very satisfying crunching sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

The thing I like about that story is that , when it's told, everyone assumes it's set in a Christian style Church due to it being a christian story, so in the minds eye is comes out that way, but thinking about it it was more likely a Synagogue that he threw the merchants/bankers out of. Christianity wasn't a thing yet, and he was jewish so it's most likely that that was the building the story was on about. It's just one of those things you don't really think about, like that the story of the Good Samaritan is possibly Jesus giving in to societal racism against ~those people~ and making a legend out of "One of the good ones"

"Some of my friends are Samaritans!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rywVlfTtlMY