Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

tuluk posted:

I also loved how the tech guy had the largest single person office & Jensen had a tiny lovely office.
tech guy controlled the flooring database.

I liked how he was so opposite of Alex from Deus Ex.

JENSEN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Maybe it's a Leisure Suit Larry 5 scenario. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Isn't that kinda spoilery?

I disliked a lot of things about Bravely Default. But I liked how that boss is vulnerable to instant death.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's too bad that isn't the case for the Detroit roof boss.

Speaking of, palette cleanser for the above video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYG_F7YWuYU

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Jul 5, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

Are you saying he doesn't have lyrics kick in? Because he totally does, it's just possible (and for some people much easier) to accidentally beat him without ever triggering his second phase.

It's a joke.

Also, I was thinking of DEHR when I said Detroit. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Ikaruga's first boss is a giant flying Gundam style mech called Eboshidori.

If you don't attack it at all, when 100 seconds pass it salutes you before flying away. :3:

According to the backstory, the pilot of it is the main character's archenemy or somesuch.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Mass Effect 2 was the only game in the series I liked, and I think Legion was a big part of that. He was pretty neat.

I'm replaying Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and it's sequels. I love all the silly background events featuring Luigi, like him falling asleep in a lecture.

Later on you get the Firehand and Thunderbrand power for Mario and Luigi respectively that lets them make a ball of Fire/Electricity as a melee attack. One of my friends insists that Mario got fire because he acts hotheaded and Luigi is quick to bolt. Probably entirely a coincidence, but a neat thought.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
OFF is a really weird and depressing game but I like that the first boss (Dedan) spontainously rips open his trench coat between the end of the conversation with him and the start of the fight.

Mortis Ghost, the creator, mentioned that some of his biggest inspirations were Killer7 and Earthbound. I think there's a number of games that have tried to capture that feeling, but OFF really does it well.

Babe Magnet posted:

I was looking up Otogi recently because I remembered it being one of my favorite games, and I made the shocking discovery that it was published by the same people that published half of my favorite games from back in the day. Echo Night, Chromehounds, Tenchu, Otogi, and King's Field.

Basically From Software keep publishing games I like a whole bunch.

Lost Kingdoms 2 is pretty great, also.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
OFF has one of the best game over themes for games, stay in your coma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8svEinLU14

it's probably for the best

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I never finished OFF, does it get less repetitive as it goes on? I stopped after the first boss because the 8-bit RPG combat was just tedious, and the number of random encounters that there were made it kind of frustrating to actually play, which is a shame because I loved the setting and just how utterly weird it is.

You could watch an LP.

It gets less repetitive only in the sense that your damage scales way faster then enemy HP does, and things get way weirder. If you really feel like it you can grind, too.

Mortis Ghost said that he made Dedan specifically to be despised, but I can't help but find him endearing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mulefisk posted:

Didn't really care for that game for a number of reasons.

Yume Nikki on the other hand..

Such as?

The gameplay is the only really obvious thing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
My favorite little thing in Phantom Pain is that Phantom Pain is apparently coming out on Steam. :woop:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In Hotline Miami (the first one) the mafia chief that is behind everything foreshadows that he isn't, actually. One of his only lines is that he "hates phones", and how do you get all your assignments?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Do you know what I really like in games? I really like looking through dead peoples' houses and taking their dead-people stuff.

For this reason, The Last of Us has lately been a fountain of delight. I've got a whole suburb to scavenge with no loading screens, somebody pinch me

Is this going to be your defence later?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Iji's an awesome game full of secrets. The Scrambler isn't particularly exciting but it always makes me laugh when you talk to Asha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqxnHl7Q4Rw

TOOT TOOT :mad:

HONK

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
F3AR has a pretty cool multiplayer mode where you play as, to quote an average man, Point Man or his imaginary friend. They have different styles of play and all that, though if Paxton Fettel does more stuff you get the crap ending.

Regardless,the way that Fettel finds possessing people to be hilarious every time is really contagious. My brother kept possessing dudes because his laugh made us keep laughing. :v:

Pidmon posted:

There's two logbook entries for Chuck Greene in OTR. One's the psychopath, the other one is the boss fight.

But isn't the psycho the boss fight..?

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 08:56 on Oct 24, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something I didn't know until I watched Chip Cheezum's Let's Play: Raptors have a dwarf gekko inside them, that's why they have tiny arms.

FauxGateau posted:

Oh okay. Well at the very least I can't blame him it all for it. Still though what a shame.

Except 'original style graphics' weren't an option, so yeah you can.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Nov 11, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I kind of want to call Hyrule Warriors the Super Mario RPG of our day.

SMRPG had things going for it other than boobs.

e oh rip

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Except Super Mario RPG was good.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In DotA 2, one cosmetic for the character Shadow Fiend changes him from a shadowy wraith creature to a fiery-shadowy wraith creature.

If you walk into the river on the map with it equipped, steam rises up.

Apparently getting attacked by the water bolt of Morphling does it too :allears:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

lenoon posted:

I know fishing in WoW is sometimes seen as a a lovely mini game, but I appreciated the amount of effort that went into it. I'd spend time waiting for my guild to gather for a raid while fishing for the magical crawdad. It leant a good feel to my character. Sighing, I'd put away the fishing rod and pull out the weapons, don armour and go face horrors, then, job done, I'd go back to fishing. It was nice.

There's hundreds of fish too.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give Reach a look if you haven't, it's actually well worth playing. I'm generally not a fan of prequels, but it manages to be the rare exception that is its own big stand-alone thing without infringing on the main series with endless "wink-wink, we're setting up THIS". It even works in setting up the first game at the end by turning it into a very meta-knowledge moment of "Oh. I'm definitely not surviving this :stare:.

Uh, what.

I barely played the Halo games and Reach was an impenitrable mess of "you should know this by now, so we're not explaining it." which is kinda not great for a prequel.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Nov 21, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I haven't played it but apparently in Far Cry 4 the Pagan Man or whatever eurotrash of the hour is called asks you to sit for an hour, where you're expected to get up and start the game. You can choose to wait at which point an hour later he comes back, apologizes for the misunderstanding and sends you on your way

If that's true, it's awesome. I love that kind of thing in games; Shadow Complex had it too.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I don't like Starcraft 2 as much as SC 1, and I like Heart of the Swarm MUCH less than Wings of Liberty because of how baffingly bad HotS' story is, but I have to give it credit for something I missed the first time.

Dehaka is a zerg who is supposed to be all about ~perfect form~ but he has vestigal limbs which are obviously counter to that; You can actually find one of his still bleeding limbs in a mission and he'll comment he can't figure out why his body hasn't yet replaced his damaged smaller arms with better ones.

e: Also in wings of Liberty there's a propaganda report about how Zerglings are allergic to lemon juice, meant to show how the Dominion is Totally In Control, Guys.

In Heart of the Swarm the Zerg in charge of genetic engineering makes an offhanded comment about how he needs to fix the Zerglings' lemon juice allergy. :haw:

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Dec 16, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tracula posted:

If I personally had an issue with MGR:R it's the whole thing with Jack the Ripper being an alter ego/devil trigger/whatever. I thought the thing with him being Jack the Ripper worked better just with him being that much of an efficient killer, not a switch he can basically turn on and off.

Ripper mode is basically him having 'Nam flashbacks.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In DotA 2, one of the fancy cosmetics is the Demon Eater Soul for Shadow Fiend.He is usually (surprise surprise) shadowy, but the Demon Eater makes him fiery. The ground smokes where he walks, but if he walks through the river, it makes steam instead.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Herbotron posted:

Started playing the original Fable again, and there's a loooot of stuff that's horribly broken in that game and I love it. Stuff like:
Marrying lady Grey so you can punch her for a long time, and since she's immortal she won't die and you can gain infinite strength experience. When given the opportunity to speak she'd divorce you though.
Going into someone's house at night, killing them so you could buy it, putting up trophies to improve its value, breaking the door, selling it, and stealing the trophies to lower the value before repeating the process.
Sleeping somewhere but leaving before the screen goes dark to avoid getting charged for trespassing.
Maxing out your "goodness" so that the demon door that requires you to do evil to pass will be satisfied with eating crunchy chicks instead of killing your wife.
The save system, which was intended to allow grinding by saving items and experience but not quest progress, was good and convenient, especially since there were no limits on what items you could keep, including silver keys, potions of experience, or the final bosses sword. I have fond memories of spending hours doing the arena quest repeatedly to make mad bank.

First Fable was the only good one imo.

Best one is making infinite gold/guile EXP by selling potions and buying them back when you have enough points that shopkeepers buy them for more than they sell them for.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Iji is basically the Deus Ex of indie games.

If you get hit by a special attack of the final boss, he notices it and will try to use it more. On the other hand, if he uses an attack a few times and it never hits, he'll discard it from his rotation except occasionally to throw it in as a curveball. It makes the fight somewhat harder as it goes on but without resorting to a cheap "Aha! I was holding my REAL POWER FOR THE END!" gimmick.

Also if an explosion knocks you over and you lie still for a bit, enemies will assume you're dead unless one walks up to you, in which case they'll check and realize you're alive.

Nearly every sector of the game has a terminal that will revive you (once) if you die, if you've activated it. The last sector is exceptionally long so it has two. It's the only sector to have a full boss inside of it, as opposed to after. If you die to him, revive, and come back, he'll gloat about how happy he is that he gets to kill you twice.

But if you fight him, die, fight him, die, and fight him again he's both absolutely flabbergasted and pissed off. :allears:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The best way to get Nano (EXP/Money) originally on a pacifist run was to facetank rockets or other explosives. The splash damage would damage/kill the person firing it or their buddies so you could collect the Nano left. :downs:

CJacobs posted:

Iji is pretty much Little Things In Games, The Video Game. If you can do something in that game, playstyle-wise or otherwise, it'll have something to say about it.

If you're at max ammo but playing as a pacifist, there's a Komato log was flabbergasted as to what you're doing with all of it. First he assumes it might be a misguided attempt at trying to stave their army of supplies before concluding you're just trying to make a black hole in the most impractical way possible.

Red Minjo posted:

I don't remember that weapon, but that may be why I could never find the item that turned all the dialogue into nonsense. I think that the specific thing for the no kills ending is that there's a thing you have to destroy behind an impenetrable wall, so you need all the points in weapons to use the gun that shoots through walls. The game lets you use an in-universe skill reset to shuffle around your points before and after you need to do this, too.

Yeah, combining the strongest Komato and Tasen weapon makes a lightning cannon that penetrates the barrier.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CJacobs posted:

He hadn't finished the game yet when he posted that :ssh:

Well literally not 5 seconds later when you're Manny and go to execute Tony, you see he's dragged in Mark and Corey's corpses. Incidently I felt kinda bad about that part. Yeah that were crazed murderers, but Tony just sounds so defeated when he's locked in a room with the corpses of half his friends. :(

oldpainless posted:

In dragons dogma I have a giant bald guy as my pc and three female pawns and I love to run his stamina out and then he stands with his hands on his knees gasping for breath while three women implore him to not die.

Goons have the weirdest fetishes.

Sad lions posted:

Everything about act 5-4 in Hotline Miami 2. Saw the scenario coming though I thought it'd be mission for Jacket.
Hell of thing prying sympathy for a character I happily thumbed the eyes out of in HM1

Choke, it's the director you thumb the eyes out of. :eng101:

Ledgy posted:

Hotline Miami 2

Inner Warrior.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Stop stalking me. :(

Gotta admit though, I'm not feeling the replayability of HLM2.

On the upside though, I grabbed Binary Domain recently thanks to an LP thread and steam sale and holy poo poo how have I missed such an awesome game? The character dialogue between main characters is stellar and I wish more games were like it.

There's a level editor that's yet to come out so that will probably help.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Brain In A Jar posted:

Dragon's Dogma is rad. I made my dude a scrawny little 12-year-old with an eye missing and just spent the whole game climbing on things and stabbing them in the back of the neck.

The character creator in DD was really good.

Speaking of, did the DD sequel turn into that Japan only MMO?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Diablo (the original) really has a different atmosphere from the other two. It's like Dark Souls, in a way. Full of despair and misery in a way that's really engaging.

StabMasterArson posted:

Battlefield Hardline's singleplayer has a mission where you're breaking into somebody's mansion when suddenly armed goons show up! One of the rooms has a huge tv and video game consoles set up with pizza boxes lying around. If you watch the 2 guards in the room for long enough, one of them actually turns the game on and starts playing Dead Space. Even cooler, if you distract the guy playing with a noise or letting him think he's spot you, if you go check the TV again you'll see he paused the game before coming to look for you

It has singleplayer?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I know it got a lot of hate and contributed a lot to the game's bad-to-mediocre reviews, but I'm playing through Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days right now and I really love the shakycam thing it's got going on, like so (it's a lot more noticeable when actually playing rather than just watching, though). The gameplay itself is kinda standard third-person shooter fare but the camera gimmick reminds me a lot of Children of Men and makes everything a lot more intense and gritty than it would have with standard camera work. It fits the game's dark and nasty tone, gives the whole game a dirty, ugly feel, like it was recorded on a handheld phone by someone following the protagonists around to upload it to some shady Russian snuff-vid website.

And I've heard a lot of people complain also about the mosaic-blur effect when shooting someone in the head either at close range or with a high-caliber weapon, but I liked that, too. Not only did it add to the grimy found-footage feel but blasting someone in the face with a shotgun and having them writhe around on the ground shrieking in agony while their head is behind a pixelated censor just seems so much more gruesome than anything they could have actually shown.

It'd have worked really well in nearly any other game than Kane and Lynch 2.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hobo By Design posted:

In Deus Ex Human Revolution it's a necessity that poo poo gets hacked so plot stuff happens, and I like that they make the effort to justify it by making Pritchard a bad sysadmin with STOP DOWNLOADING SHAREWARE GUYS emails.

I also love the arch of CRTs in his office.

Why's that bad? I know nothing about being a SysAdmin.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is that my really angry roommate is in the next room getting rocked by it and is yelling at the top of his lungs and me and my bros are laughing at him here in the living room

he's probablty going to kill you all.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I like how at the end of GTAV you can shoot Trevor and Michael's basically like "eh what can you do" and he and Franklin stroll off into the sunset.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The company that translated Fire Emblem Awakening also did Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. Apparently one of the guys at 8-4 (The translators) asked Platinum if it'd be okay if he was a little loose with the translation to add in some Americanisms, which they said okay to.

They liked his revisions so much they changed the original script to include them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Alteisen posted:

In MKX Cassie Cage has a unique fatality where she obliterates her opponents jaw then takes a selfie, the scrolling comments is quite amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUqgcxtMGKI

A fair warning, for a game full of over the top deaths, I find this one slightly unnerving, I think its the whole "wait they're still alive thing". :stonk:

"meh probably not even dead"

That's so dumb and so awesome. :allears:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In Hotline Miami 2, there's a couple of things I just realized about the end sequence.

All of The Fans except Tony join in on torturing and killing a drugged up ex-mafia thug.

All of The Fans except Tony are effortlessly cut down by the drugged up boss of the mafia. Speaking of which, Mark's playstyle focuses on guns but he fights you unarmed... And is beaten by a golf club. Corey's special ability is she can dive under bullets... But is shot in the stomach.

The Fans also all meet the fate of their heroes: Dead in a Russian building.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Jun 15, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
DotA 2's Demon Eater cosmetic for Shadow Fiend makes him randomly burst out into evil, maniacal laughter, and it's great. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
NOT A HERO takes place over the course of (most of) a month, with the level select screen being the protagonist's office. Each level/day that passes, his potted plant grows a bit more, and his calendar has another box marked off.

But less obviously (to me at least) is the fact that his white board behind his desk gets more smudges around it, because he updates the countdown. By the end, the whole thing is basically a foggy blue from the constant erasing. :3: