Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Anatharon posted:

It's too bad that isn't the case for the Detroit roof boss.

Are you saying he doesn't have lyrics kick in? Because he totally does, it's just possible (and for some people much easier) to accidentally beat him without ever triggering his second phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

"Run for your life!" from Condemned 2 and "Smoke the dope or don't. It's up to you." from NARC sit at the top of my list of great video game objectives.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I never played it so I can't speak for the quality, but the main selling point of F3AR was the asynchronous co-op that was woven into the story. It certainly sounded interesting, what with one player being a karate gunman and the other being a poltergeist.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Some more MGS3 off the top of my head:

Saving in the prison cell, then restarting your game causes Snake to have a nightmare, which is actually a playable demo for an action game that never got finished called Guy Savage. Sadly, it's gone in the HD collection.

While fighting The End, if you set your clock ahead several days he'll die of old age. You can also snipe him right after he's introduced much earlier in the game and kill him then.

When you're replaying the game and have the Single-Action Army, you can use the right stick in first person mode to do tricks. If you do this while dueling Ocelot, he'll say how impressed he is and do his own tricks along with you.

One that a lot of people know, but is so stupidly specific that it bears repeating: If you kill a soldier in a mountain area, and a vulture starts eating him, and then you kill that vulture, and then eat it, later on when you're fighting The Sorrow, that soldier will yell out "YOU ATE ME!"

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

It reminds of the Germany stage in SF3: 2nd Impact. It's inside of a gigantic building/tent, but you'd probably never be able to jump high enough in-game to realize it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Someone LP the drat thing already.

Supergreatfriend is putting up a blind run this month.

But I'll echo other statements that it's best experienced firsthand. It won't cost you anything but time.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Regular headcrab victims speak too, but its reversed. Nothing very profound, just varying degrees of “help/kill me” but it’s still a neat touch.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

No, but considering that (spoilers for end of TNO/beginning of TNC) a single hand grenade fucks him up to the point of turning him paraplegic even after getting top-notch medical attention it probably is running on the D&D/Uncharted rule where the only real hit point is the last one and the rest is just BJ's luck/will to fight.

Alternatively, somebody in the Wolfenstein thread did the math and a fully-armored BJ is a lot tougher than the best tanks deployed in the real WWII.

e: adding another Wolfenstein little thing, this time from Old Blood. BJ can interact with a skull at one point, during which he recites Shakespeare to himself, drops it, apologizes to nobody in particular, and awkwardly places it back where he found it. It is the most realistic scene in the series, perhaps in all of gaming.

SkeletonHero has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Nov 21, 2017

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

He made the wrong choices and the game thinks that he's morally inept.

:vince:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

more like marshmallow killjoy

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The most recent HD release lets you skip pretty much all the cutscenes and dialogue.

So wish granted, I guess.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I love just how lovely the R-Type world is for just being the background noise of an arcade shooter franchise.

The ship descriptions in Final are pretty great for how bleak they are, since pretty much all of them are like "yeah this will hurt the Bydo pretty good we think, anyways this will also be great for killing humans in whatever future wars we have."

There's a whole line that induces horrifying nightmares in the pilot and then weaponizes them in the form of screen-clearing jumpscares.

I need to play R-Type Final again.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Hellblade is the first game in a long time I really got into all the behind-the-scenes stuff for. They really did their homework to make sure the portrayal of psychosis was as close to the real thing as possible, and it really elevated what could have been a tone deaf gimmick.

What I found most impressive was the girl who did the acting for Senua. She was originally just a video producer who was doing stand-in mocap and had no sort of acting background whatsoever, but the director liked her performance enough to ask her to stay in the role. It was a good call, because she loving nailed it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I love how in all of Paz’s tapes she’s desperately trying to convince herself how evil and hateful she is despite loving this poo poo.

“The cute little kitten was so precious and made the sweetest little meows. I was disgusted by how weak it was.”

“I stared very intently as they groped at each others’ soapy, well-muscled manly bodies. I couldn’t tear my eyes away even though I totally wanted to because I’m evil.”

SkeletonHero has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Apr 4, 2018

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I started going into the optional content in God of War and I appreciate how the (optional boss spoiler) Valkyrie fights aren’t just a series of palette swaps like the trolls and Ancients. They each fight in totally different styles. I’ve faced one that spawned mooks, a grappler, a long range fighter, and one that used a lot of counters and feints. I can’t wait to see what the rest are like.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wrong imaginary universes.

Or is that :thejoke:

Nope. It happened in the big Marvel vs DC event of ‘96. Bullseye got teleported to the Batcave, panicked and took Robin hostage, and then got a first-hand lesson in The Goddamn Batman.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Barudak posted:

Eat all my quarters you son bitch.

Did anybody ever play that PvP lightgun game where you used the footpedals to move? Loco Caliente or something it was called?

Too Spicy! There used to be one at Gameworks in Columbus. It was fun for a bit but way too expensive for what was pretty much a proof-of-concept. It’s too bad they didn’t do more of it, because the basic idea of Killer7: Versus - Arcade Edition was extremely my poo poo.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I like when you finish the Cup Noodle quest and says he’s learned a new recipe, which it turns out is just heating up a Cup Noodle.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Accidentally posted this in the RE thread

SkeletonHero posted:

I forget exactly when it happens, but in RE6 either a tank or the Ustanak or something explodes onto the scene, and Jake mutters “Dammit!” with all the emotion and urgency of a man who just locked his keys in his car, and it never fails to get a chuckle out of me.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just got to the introduction of real telekinetic powers in Control, and it's so satisfying to yank stuff from behind your enemies and then throw it at them for a free one-two punch. Also everything you levitate makes the most adorable little spooky :ghost: noise when you make it fly over to you :3:

I also love that even if you aren’t targeting anything in particular, Jesse will just grab whatever’s handy, or straight up rip chunks out of the environment if she has too, so it never fails you when you use it. That and the fact that it’s easily accessible on one button makes it my favorite video game telekinesis.

Related, I love that every power is just a button press away. No fiddling around in menus means I’m always using and getting the most out of my full suite of abilities. I liked that Mega Man 11 bound weapon selection to the right stick for the same reason.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Having finished Control I can confidently say as someone that has been both a janitor and a low-ranking government agent, that they definitely had both in the writing staff and it showed.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

cranking it during the pirate invasion in Curse of the Black Pearl

I knew Captain Jack Sparrow was a pervert but drat this is next level

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Lobok posted:

I like that the Point Launch move in Spider-Man isn't a big jump but a handspring. Fits with his super strength and explosive agility that he can launch himself the length of a city block using just his arms.

I like that one method he can use to stop a runaway car is to just catch it with his hands and set it down. It’s great when creators remember that super strength is part of his power set, since he holds himself back and it usually gets either forgotten or severely downplayed.

Speaking of Spider-Man, I just finished the first DLC, and one moment I loved was Peter revealing to MJ that he might have a son with Black Cat. She initially reacts poorly but pretty soon calls him back and basically says they’re adults and things happen, and there isn’t a big dramatic half-breakup and she still gives her all to help. It’s so rare for characters in games, or hell any medium, to act like mature, real-rear end adults.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Dark Souls 2 had you run across a bigass chain in the Crown of the Iron King.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

oldpainless posted:

My bonus score from my poor playing

More like oldplatless

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Replaying God of War 3 because quarantine makes you do crazy things. One thing I really do appreciate about it is there are more item chests than there are items (pieces that upgrade your health and so on) so you don't have to stress too much about collecting them all. And if you do find an item chest once you're maxed out, it just gives you a ton of experience. It's a handy QoL thing I would not have expected from a game of its type and vintage.

It also has the knock-on effect of you hitting peak power about 4/5 of the way through the game instead of at the very end, so you have enough time to enjoy it without it kicking in too soon.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Foundation is very much a binary difficulty set around how much you remember Shield exists.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Playing through FFVIII for the first time in years. I was never under the impression the card game had any AI other than "put card in good spot" but there is at least one instance of a player acting differently. There's this guy, Martine, who runs the rival military academy to yours and is a jackass but not really a villain. Once the villains co-opt his school, you can find him hiding out in a hippie commune and challenge him to a game, and he'll happily proclaim that he's going to kick your rear end since he confiscated the cards from all of his students. He then proceeds to take 1-2 minute turns slowly choosing a card (the AI usually does this in seconds) and making seemingly totally random, suboptimal plays. I just thought it was a charming touch that was completely unnecessary, and as far as I can tell he is the only NPC that does this.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

When I become a billionaire, I'm going to buy the rights to The Saboteur and rerelease it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I want to play a DnD action game where I have a blink dog companion that helps me with takedowns and I can double-jump using immovable rods but also have a special move where I slam a motherfucker's face directly into one.

Rip off Shadow of Mordor and put on a coat of DnD paint, is what I'm saying here. Give me a sweet, sweet cinematic execution where I individually chop each eye stalk off a beholder and then gouge out their central eye with a voulge. I want to collect 140 mephits to unlock a Planescape Easter egg.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Disco elysium : the writing in the game is so good and mirroring the real world that it’s destroyed any hope of playing an arsehole cop.

Holy poo poo, yeah. I finished a playthrough as a revolutionary, communist, anti-cop cop with a hyperactive/real imagination and it was fun. Then I thought it would be funny to try playing through as a violence-prone, authority-mad alpha male fascist bootlicker and...that was three weeks ago and it stopped being funny real fast.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Having NPCs talk during puzzles should be illegal.

My dream in life is to one day find the writer at Ubisoft who came up with that loud idiot guard in Sands of Time who has you activate the security system, and make them play it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I also might as well shout out my favorite spirit in the game: Sellsword Luet, who wears the heaviest armor in the game and dual-wields greatshields.

Honestly, if Dark Souls 2 and its DLCs did one thing the best out of the whole series it's adding a BUNCH of personality to the 'multiplayer stand-in' NPCs.

Luet is also wearing the ring that draws aggro! :eng101:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The moon is like, a 3/10 on the escalation scale.

SkeletonHero has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Jul 23, 2020

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Really cool thing about Ghost of Tsushima is the stunning visual design. It doesn't seem like the map would lend itself to much diversity, but you never look at the same environment for long. The designers went absolutely wild with the variations in color and biomes and it all looks amazing in all weather and at any time of day.

Extra special shoutout to the dueling arenas. When you end up in a serious 1v1 boss fight, you will definitely not just be in a field somewhere. Every single one of them is unique and specially made to be a visual treat. My favorite one so far has been set at night in a field of white flowers, surrounded by graves and lit up by thousands of fireflies. I also loved the one that takes place on a sea-level shelf while a storm whips up huge waves around you.

Unrelated, but I also appreciate the light touch of the supernatural, which I wasn't expecting. Weird, inexplicable things happen from time to time. They are fun to stumble into but are tiny and have zero impact on the story because it's not about that. It all helps to sell the setting as this kind of lost fairytale paradise.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of Deus Ex, you never really get a good look at Jensen's lower body in HR because he's always wearing the tactical outfit and trench coat. At the beginning of Mankind Divided you get a chance to take a shower and though it's all foggy you can see that his entire lower body basically doesn't look human at all and it made me :smith:

Reminds me of when Metal Gear Rising reveals that between MGS 4 and Revengeance, Raiden basically got the entire rest of his body replaced by cybernetics to the point where the only human parts of him are the top of his face, one eye, and his brain and spine. They say Snake had a hard life but at least he didn't end up a brain in a human shaped jar.

Raiden was like that even during the events of MGS4. The Patriots really hosed him up good.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The gold armor in Shovel Knight doesn't do anything mechanically but does change your jumps into sweet flips.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Mortal Shell is confusing and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it yet, but you can get a lute to play whenever you want. Tonight's exploration yielded little of substance, but I found a second, higher-quality lute and I am all but certain you play "Kiss from a Rose" on it, or something barely legally distinct enough to not get sued.

I also like that enemies in camps usually have their own lutes and are just jamming and vibing until you come along and ruin everything. I tried to jam with them once but they got mad and I got an achievement.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Way back in the early days of Dark Souls 2, I was having fun in the Rat Covenant which forcibly pulls other players into your personal dungeon gauntlet in a couple of specific areas of the game. One guy ended up in my dungeon three times somehow, so the third time I just went about killing my own monsters for him and showing him shortcuts around my traps so he could just finally clear the drat level. He sent me a message telling me he had my IP address and was going to kill my family, and that was the closest I've ever come to making a friend online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Cerberus brains are actually spread throughout their whole body, like an octopus.