Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jehde posted:

I miss when this thread was about little things, where I could post and read tidbits found in random games and not have it drowned out by "This orc keeps killing me!" ad nauseum. The nemesis system, combat, stealth, and parkour of Shadow of Morder are not little things. There have been a few legit little things from Shadow of Mordor that have been pointed out long ago, but now this has just become another Shadow of Mordor circlejerk thread. Is Shadow of Mordor the new Dark Souls?

Let's make it into a Spec Ops: The Line circle-jerk thread again instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Irsh posted:

Looks like I'll be playing XCOM again.... I somehow never realized there was a flamethrower...

It's in the Enemy Within expansion pack, so if you don't have that then you don't have the flamethrower. And you have to choose between flamethrower and punching fist, and despite the coolness of fire the fist is better.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

The flamethrower on XCom's MECs was mutually exclusive with the rocket punch, which didn't cause panic, could only attack one target at a time, and couldn't attack diagonally but they gave you more movement points, didn't require any ammo, you and could explode a freaking tank if you punched an alien into it.

I never trusted the psi panic ability. There was always a chance they would shoot one of your guys.

I would have loved to have been able to MEC punch diagonally but I also appreciated that the punch did a few more points damage than the flame. I can't recall if it was 2 or 3 points damage difference but when you're trying to take down something with high health like a mechtoid or a berzerker, those few points can matter. Don't some enemies resist flame damage as well? I thought I remember flaming a sectopod or something else robotic and it took no damage, or something like that.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

playin it wrong

The only way to play Alpha Protocol wrong is to only play it once though.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

Every year, I go back and play Assassin's Creed 2, and maybe its branch sequels. I'm always so impressed with the detail in the cities.

If you google any landmark or large building in the game, you'll find a picture that looks just about identical to what's in the game.

What really surprised me was that, in the game, a lot of buildings have these un-level, wooden planks just nailed into the wall for seemingly no reason other than to help Ezio climb - I thought they were just there to facilitate the parkour. But if you look at pictures of Florence or Venice, you'll see those planks on a lot of the buildings. It's so cool, I think, that they could use that accurate detail to fit the gameplay.

I haven't enjoyed an AC game since those, so I can't speak to the later games, but drat. AC2 really hit a sweet spot.

Assassin's Creed 2 also had one of my favorite final bosses of all time because in how many games do you get to fistfight the pope?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

SR having a better sense of humour doesn't mean it's the more sophisticated game. :v:

SR knows what it is much, much better than any GTA. I appreciated the self-awareness that ended up being wholly embraced in SR4. Also the SR4 ending dance scene is one of my favorite closing cutscenes in a game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

haveblue posted:

GTA thinks it's a Michael Mann movie, SR thinks it's a Michael Bay movie.

GTA thinks it's a Michael Mann movie and it's actually a Michael Bay movie, SR thinks it's a Michael Bay movie and it's actually the best Michael Bay movie ever made.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've beaten Arkham City 3 times and I got all 440 riddler trophies every time. But I gave up on Arkham Knight when it made it mandatory to collect all 243 trophies to see the ending, and the last dozen I didn't get all involved the loving batmobile.

I liked how there were 440 riddler trophies but you only needed to get 400 to beat the riddler. It meant that you could skip a couple of the really difficult or annoying ones.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Speaking of Saints Row, that series minus the first one is honestly really good in general.

Saints Row 2 stands out as easily the best GTA clone. It's ridiculous and over the top in all the right ways to be amazing.

Saints Row 3 is really good as well, but honestly suffers from having the absolute best set of opening missions of any game I've ever played. They're so good that, despite the introduction of some great characters, the rest of the game feels a little bit flat in comparison until the incredible end game missions.

Saints Row 4 is even more ridiculous than the previous games, and stands out to me as one of the most fun super hero games I've played. You really get a sense of how powerful you become towards the end game when you're ripping your way through entire hordes of enemies by the end game with the greatest of ease. Though, the super powered enemies were a little annoying to fight.

Gat out of Hell is interesting, but aside from the first game I think it's the weakest of the games. It's really just an expansion pack, and while they're are some good weapons that they added to the game there's not really a story tying it all together. It's more of a collection of side activities

People used to always make fun of the poop truck missions, and those are still ridiculous, but the games are honestly really fun and just ooze personality. I really enjoy the one-upsmanship in each game as well as the Saints get bigger and bigger. They're also really fun in co-op

I only played How The Saints Saved Christmas once but I remember it being quite good, one of the better over-the-top Christmas-y games out there. Short enough that it might not be fair to call it a real "game" though.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's pretty great. The Paper Marios seem like they often have some sort of weird dark undercurrent in parts of them compared to other Mario games, parts of Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario come to mind in particular.

I think the plural is Papers Mario.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Lechtansi posted:

I really enjoyed my first 60 hours of rear end:O, and then i hit the point where i realized i wasn't even halfway through the game and so i kinda gave up. theres just too much to do.

Little thing: Cyberpunk went the opposite way. Instead of burning out halfway through, i got to the end at like hour 60 and was like drat i'm still in the mood for this. I guess this means my sweetspot for open world games is about 80 hours?

I haven't played Cyberpunk but the AC games have just so much busywork to do. If the AC series cut out everything but the main story and a couple of the best side missions, I'd play a lot more of them.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Phy posted:

Halo aside, I was playing AC:Odyssey last week and I've finally, after 35 years, figured out the gameplay I like best: Explore beautiful lands. Climb some of that poo poo. Occasionally stab some guys, but no rush. That's what I ended up enjoying in Skyrim, and that's what had me basically abandon Project Wingman (for a while) for AC:O.

This was why I didn't like Shadows of War, the sequel to the Mordor game. I felt like in Mordor or in the Batman Arkham games that they sort of ripped off, it was pretty easy to travel around the world while avoiding enemies, if you had someplace to be or if you just wanted to cruise around. In Shadows of War there are orcs EVERYWHERE and the world feels a lot smaller, so you are constantly having to fight mobs of low level enemies that pose basically no threat to you but still take some time to kill. I wasn't able to finish the game because I just got tired of having to decapitate 10 orcs for no reason every minute or two. In Arkham City I could see the low level enemy mob and fight them if I wanted, or just grappling hook swing past them if I wanted.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I have enjoyed GTA 5, I thought it was pretty good GTA-ing even if Saint's Row ends up doing it better, but I am squeamish about torture and I can't finish the Trevor torture mission. A cutscene I could get through but not controlling it. It's too bad because I'd like to play more.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

OPAONI posted:

Is there a thread for this game yet?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896899&pagenumber=1

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I would imagine it would need to be narrative driven. You can't really do an open world game with a character that is incredibly strictly lawful like Dredd. He doesn't do side jobs, doesn't cause mayhem, and busting small time purse snatches would get old fast. I'm thinking a Max Payne like structure would work best.

The Arkham games are the template for it. Arkham City is an open world with a strong narrative and a highly lawful protagonist taking on criminals.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

Counter point: turning on dismemberment in Jedi Outcast and cutting Storm Troopers is badass.

Those 2002 cartoon graphics aren't doing anything like what modern Mortal Kombat fatalities or Tomb Raider deaths are showing, not even a remotely close comparison.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Speaking of Obra Dinn, I tried it out a bit ago and have to praise it for its graphical style - I assumed it had static art from the screenshots, I can't think of another game that's done that early-'80s monochrome art style but in a full 3D environment. No idea about the rest of the game yet, but that's a really neat look.

It's a beautiful game, too difficult for me though.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Titanfall 2 is probably the best single player corridor-style shooter campaign I've played since what, like HL2? What's been better since?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Hel posted:

I think they are saying that it's Half Life 2 rather than Titanfall 2 that isn't all that good, and honestly I'd agree.

I guess I'd agree that HL2 hasn't aged well but if it helps, then I think Titanfall 2 is probably the best single player corridor-style shooter campaign I've played since what, like late 2004? What's been better since?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Medal of Honor was before Halo, on PSX. Honestly I was of the opinion even back then that it was leagues better than Goldeneye, and it reviewed fairly well.

Medal of Honor also aged poorly because there have been ten thousand crappy "cinematic" WW2 shooters since then, but it really did do it very well.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

Factorio does that to me, to the point I had to uninstall it.

Part of me wants to get Crusader Kings 3, but I'm absolutely terrified of it. I would play 2 so long that I'd get dehydrated since I didn't want to get up from the computer to either refill a glass of water or to pee. It would be like 4 AM with a scratchy throat and chapped lips and I'm still saying to myself "let me just finish this war then I'll go to bed".

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Leal posted:

100 Assassins are dropped into Jerusalem and must loot, scavenge and kill to be the last one remaining.

This could actually be a pretty good BR game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey a while ago but playing other RPGs and reflecting upon it, one thing I appreciated is that it gave at least some story reason to do some of the incredibly minor fetch/deliver/kill 10 Xs for me type sidequests. So often in RPGs, it's just "I'm walking through the town and there's a character with a full name that comes up when I put the cursor on them, they must have a sidequest, sure yes I will do some chores for you in exchange for a handful of XP". AC Odyssey has plenty of those of course, it's a Ubisoft game with way too much to do, but plenty of them have an actual story reason. Like at this point in the story, you are helping Athens fight Sparta, so if you want to help Athens even more in the war, here's some extra stuff you can do. Or this island has a deep dark secret but nobody trusts you enough to tell you how to find it, do some chores and the townsfolk will trust you and give you an actually interesting quest to do. These justifications are pretty thin but at least the tiniest effort was made, and it makes it feel pretty unforgiveable by contrast for a game to not even come up with that meager amount of story justification and just expect that the PC is up for doing minor tasks for anyone who asks.

gohuskies has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Nov 29, 2021

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

verbal enema posted:

ill check it out

i should also watch fury road as i havent seen it

Oh you must, it's one of the best action movies ever made.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Batman Arkham City is another fantastic open world game with the ability to fly and grapple baked right in. One of the best open world games ever in my book.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I like the meta plot :colbert:

At least I did back when it was at the level of the Pope is a secret ancient alien, now fight him in space wackiness

Focusing on just templar vs assassin stuff is mega boring though

The idea that the Pope is an alien or whatever and you have to fist fight him is cool. Logging out of the animus to be some present-day dork who has to walk around and have exposition dump conversations is terrible, one of the worst ideas in the history of gaming.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Odyssey and the AC2 trilogy are probably the best of the series, at least from what I've played of the others (which admittedly isn't much) and what I've read online

Honestly though Odyssey has basically been a life commitment for me at this point. I think I'm at like 100 hours and still not done with the plot because there's just a never ending amount of content. I can't imagine needing to get Valhalla at this point. Maybe once I beat Odyssey someday and then like.. am able to pick up valhalla super cheap on sale a few years from now?

I was surprised how the end of the AC Odyssey plot snuck up on me, I expected to have a couple more chapters and then all of a sudden it was wrapping up. I was doing some but not all of the side quests and all of the cultists and there were still a bunch of areas I had never visited when I "finished" the game. So if you do want to get through the rest of the plot ASAP, I bet you might be closer to the end than you think.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Lobok posted:

Not playing Alpha Protocol back in the day is a big regret. It sounds like it could have been one of my all-time faves.

It was one of those games that was kind of broken but brilliant. The actual combat gameplay had tons of issues, with character builds that made the game trivially easy and other builds that were almost impossible to play as. They were more willing than any other game I've played to wall off content depending on certain story choices made by the player, so it was possible to miss entire missions based on choices you'd made hours earlier. Many people who only played it once were angry about the storylines that weren't tied up because they missed the opportunity to do something without realizing it, but if you were willing to dig in, it was amazing.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Hector Delgado posted:

Turn up the Radio being played during the Brayko bossfight in Alpha Protocol made it magical.

Great example of Alpha Protocol being Alpha Protocol is that with the right choices, that's not really the Russia bossfight.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

WirelessPillow posted:

FEAR AI is a masterpiece in design

The fact that the goons talk so much is such a good part of it. That they say "he's behind cover, I'm going around" or whatever lets you know that they know what's going on and are smart enough to make a decision based on that, it really shows off how good the AI is.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Hel posted:

As always with Monolith, the smoke and mirrors do quite a bit of work. It's very noticeable in the second F.E.A.R. expansion, where they change the enemy barks but keep the AI the same. They feel a whole lot dumber because of it. Same with the Mordor Nemesis system which is carried by millions of dollars worth of graphics and voice acting. Not that they are bad, but a lot of what makes is the presentation, not the systems behind it.

Yeah, I've been told by people who understand these things better than I that the FEAR AI isn't actually particularly excellent, it just seems that way. Which is good enough for me!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

My parents were reluctant to let me play FPSes when I was young, so there were a ton of shooters in the mid-late 90s that I was only ever able to play the demos of, off demo discs from a friend's PC Gamer subscription. Those were the days!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Available now in Early Access!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1482750/Waves_of_Steel/

I have it and play it, and it is completely ridiculous in the most awesome way.

It's good for an early access game too - the story missions aren't all completed of course, but I've found bugs to be pretty rare and the main functionality of the game seems to all be there. It's not just a glorified demo.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

credburn posted:

I only played Call of Duty 1 and 2. 3 looked to be so much more of the same and from then on it seemed so multiplayer focused that I never really looked much into it. If I wanted to play some of these for the single player experience, where should I start?

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 (the 2009 one, not the "Modern Warfare II" which just came out last month) both have great campaigns for a fair price. You can get COD 4 for $20 on Steam with 2007 graphics or for $40 for the remastered version from 2017. I don't know if the better graphics are worth double the price, I haven't played the remastered, but I bet not. Modern Warfare 3 bumps up in price to $40 and the story gets a little too ridiculous so it's tough to recommend except on sale.

Black Ops 1 does some actually interesting things with the story, which is kind of unique for a COD, but I didn't think the gameplay was as crisp or engaging as the original Modern Warfares, and somehow it's also still $40 despite being from 2010.

gohuskies has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Nov 10, 2022

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

biosterous posted:

90% of far cry 3's goodwill can be attributed to michael mando's performance as vaas

No, it was also legitimately a lot more fun to pay than Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 had some interesting elements but ultimately too much stuff that just wasn't fun - FC3 was a big improvement in gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Shnag posted:

Spec Ops the Line is a interesting game, the game play is it self is pretty by the books cover shooter. One of the few games where it’s more about the experience then just the game play, like Soma

I think Spec Ops The Line got an unfair rap from people who didn't really think it through. The "it forced me to kill civilians then tried to make me feel like I did something wrong! That's bad!" take that so many people had was not a very good analysis of what the game was doing and saying. I do think the game might have been improved - or at least made easier to understand - by relabeling the "quit" button on the main menu to "leave Dubai". I thought it had a lot going on and was very interesting, even though yeah the gameplay was nothing special.