Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Spy_Guy posted:

Also, as a person who enjoys programming every now and then I appreciate that the clockwork soldiers' speech are basically all debug statements that their creator hasn't taken out.

Do enough gamedev and it suddenly clicks that all fuckin' vocal barks in games are just replacements for debug statements.

"Spotted player while off guard"
"Alert others in area"
"Begin pursuit"
"Player breaks line of sight"
"Arrive at last seen position"
"Begin sweep routine"
"End sweep routine"
"Return to original position"

Stick something fiction-friendly in each of those slots with a couple variants, voila, you have an action-with-light-stealth bark script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Iron Rose posted:

everything i've heard about watchdogs 2 makes it sound like a great game, but the protagonists look so loving insufferable.

According to SuperBunnyHop, they doubled down on making the protagonists funhaving dipshits who know that they're good and don't take this all that seriously, and it really helps the game's tone.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Why stop with movies and games? Include books. Any books. Any story, really. Anything where anything happens, in perpetuity, for eternity.

Or perhaps people can stop being such whiny babies about spoilers in media that's been out for 5+ years.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

flatluigi posted:

It's really amazing how much people can project onto the idea that maybe some people haven't gone and consumed every form of media put out over several decades + therefore taking half a second to slap a spoiler tag on something is maybe an okay thing to consider instead of being some oppressive injustice to even put forward

Except that, as shown above, your definition of what precisely constitutes a spoiler is really loving weird.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

AlphaKretin posted:

Dishonored agrees - it tracks Stealth/"Assault" totally separate from Lethal/Non-Lethal, or at least 2 does. IIRC 1 doesn't care what you do with the former, which isn't an approach I exactly mind.

I recently played through Metal Gear Solid V mission where I ended up going full lethal/full noise and depleted the local map's supply of reinforcements in a long pitched battle but still got a fuckin' A rank, mostly because the whole thing only counted as a single alert. I hadn't quite figured out the whole 'holdup' mechanic and how core it is to stealthing at that point, either.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Nobody could actually believe what they saw, so your infiltration was not reported.

CP, we've got a- an, uh- it's... oh, gently caress it, never mind.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

uvar posted:

Finally - the game is set in a cartoonishly-large skyscraper-sized tank. If you're lucky you'll get a set of levels on its exterior, and if you have the right abilities there's nothing stopping you from climbing to the very top or maybe into the barrel, where the developer left a bunch of handy pickups. It's easy to assume it's just background decoration or an invisible wall, so it was a pretty nice surprise when I managed it the first time.

The bit where the developer pops into your comms system and says "Look yeah okay you can go outside and climb around and whatever but the collision detection is loving rubbish out here, I didn't bother to check it all that thoroughly, remember your reset button" was awesome.

Also if you have the 'no fall damage' powerup you can jump off the top of the tower and end up in the town (a theoretically secret area), and you can immediately re-enter the tower from level 1 but with all your gear and powerups intact.

And making double jumping into an infinitely-stackable powerup is still hands-down the best game design decision I've ever seen.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Tower of Guns is pretty great, just wish you could use more than one weapon

You can, there are other weapons that show up in the game as ultra-rare purchasables. You'll probably only get one in a run, though, unless you stack Town falls.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Currently rocking OCTOPUS RIOT with an appropriately all-pink colour scheme. Gradually picking up more parts, though, so I feel like I'm gonna have to change it up.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
If y'all want your achievements so bad just cheat them in already rather than requiring games to let you get them using in-engine cheats goddamn.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
To me Gwyn was a tough but not notable basic enemy. I wrecked him because I knew dodging, had stupid massive damage output, and was wearing basically no armour. But I didn't want to because holy god his music is the single best thing in that game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

you get the best hangtime and just smack around buildings that required you to build up enough momentum to pull off in earlier games.

Rolling is the key. Jump, airdash into the top half of a lamppost, and then just ragdoll-somersault your way around town, building up too much speed to lose it. Tap a car every now and again to pick up a better multiplier.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Most people's problem with the game isn't the comedy. It's the loot.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alteisen posted:

the explanation of it was that the new U's aren't actually canon

Yeah, the writer has no idea what the word 'canon' means outside of fandom definitions, and doesn't want to take credit for accidentally building a really interesting little society of immortals. The plot holes could have been papered over with a line about disconnecting someone from the system or him literally having no money or whatever else, but no, "that whole thing in the game doesn't loving exist" is easier.

Goddamn why am I still mad about that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The New-U's are a Hyperion system, and Roland's gang aren't exactly working for Hyperion interests anymore :ms:. Iirc, you're hacked into the New-U system in Borderlands 2.

Exactly! That's the sort of thing that should have been in the game.

Instead the lead writer declared the entire New-U system to not have actually been in the game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

flatluigi posted:

For context, this is an area in that game you see in a bit lower quality than this picture:

For whatever reason (low-quality in game? the crop of the in game art? the chairs in the foreground?) it takes some people ages to realize that it's outdoors.

A perfectly trapezoidal skyline cutoff reads more immediately as "blue ceiling" than "sky over odd alleyway"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alteisen posted:

mr projection
GBS buddies
totally gonna lose sleep
drat you have no idea dude
tears rolling down my cheeks as I type this
insecure and pathetic
the immature alarm
your miserable life
this little slapfight
pathetic little dig

I think I got a bingo

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

The ending credits for DOOM are cool. They overlay each department over a cool tableau from the game that is, at least tangentially, related to their job and the whole thing has a bunch of electro butt rock playing.

Except the sound design people have the music quiet a little bit and a nice monster roar and gun cocking plays.

gently caress, that game ruled.

Everything about Doom was the best little moment in Doom. It's like they decided to make a short, simple little game, then make it as pretty and colourful and fun as they possibly could, and spent a fuckton of development money on just letting the different departments throw in as many fun moments as they could. The sound design folks got their perfectly timed gun cocking, the gameplay folks got their scatter homing sticky rocket launcher with infinite ammunition, the animation folks got their fist bump on first Doomguy pickup and that wonderfully pointless reload animation on the pistol, the storyline folks got their "what if he just stomps the fuckin' thing" solution to literally all problems, and the level designers got to stick a bunch of old awfully-rendered Doom levels in the middle of a AAA shooter. It's just goddamn beautiful.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

food court bailiff posted:

Uh my wife surprised me with Wii U Breath of the Wild out of nowhere and an hour or two in it's the most fun I've ever had with an action/adventure game, hands down. What the gently caress. I don't even like the 3D Zelda games, but this is just something else entirely. Everything is a "little thing". If you see something and you're thinking "it would be really cool if you could interact with that this way", chances are pretty good that you can.

BotW looks like Zelda going back to its most ancient roots. That marketing line "You can totally find and kill the final boss in like ten minutes if you know where he is" has me jonesing for a Switch like nothing else I've heard. gently caress, a true old-school 'clear the board' game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

Though one was a bandana that made me climb faster.

Incremental improvements to player capabilities? In a Zelda game?

What the gently caress is even going on

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

Orc captain's can't cheat death and come back if you decapitate them.

I swear to God I had one absolutely relentless fucker come back after a decapitation. He was just mute and gurgly and had his neck all bandaged.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tony Bologna posted:

When I thought the game endlessly randomly generated captains forever, I was kinda proud of this moment:

Clearing the board as an optional bonus mode in that game was nuts and awesome. I can't wait for the superior ripoffs.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

This is why I'm happy that they're actually re-tooling the difficulty for the second game instead of having a flat baseline where past a certain point you just never die.

I would love it if I could boost the global difficulty on the fly. Or if it was a reactive/skill-based explicit thing like how God Hand did it.

E: One for NieR: Automata- I've been playing on reduced settings due to my aging GPU, but I just fuckin' love how mobile 2B is. Her evade is probably one of the best I've seen in games- she fuckin' rockets in the direction you press- and it's got the Platinum thing of being able to evade-cancel basically any stupid action you might accidentally have committed to at a bad moment, and you can cancel an evade into any of your attacks. And the attacks have these ridiculously long final animations just to clue you in to how evade cancelling works.

Also the game is basically straight-up Megaman Legends what with the kindhearted tone and lovable characters and good jokes and loving bleak horror lurking just below the surface and I'm just really, really happy that I get to see another Megaman Legends in my lifetime.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 12:11 on Mar 20, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

food court bailiff posted:

Ahhh gently caress, I was trying to avoid buying this one. Why do you have to say things like this, Somfin? Why? :(

Because the moment I realised I was playing a high-budget Platinum Studios riff on Megaman Legends was the moment I realised that this was gonna be one of the very few games I upgrade my computer for and play until there's nothing left to experience.

There's a high-level enemy that's been begging me to kill him and I've tried twice and had to retreat both times because he's just too strong and has too much health and the fact that I can do that makes this a proper goddamn open-world game.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Mar 20, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've got a question about NieR Automata, and I had originally asked in the games thread, but last I checked people were being bitchy at each other over if it was okay to not like the game because of the no save tutorial deal, so gently caress that thread. I'm not a fan of how the camera constantly switches out to a fixed point. It's not a huge deal, but I have a hard time seeing what my character is doing and at a lot of points it seemed like it switched almost to 2d side scrolling. I really enjoyed how the combat system felt, and the earlier posts about the dodging is what prompted this post. Is the camera thing really that bad? Like does it switch as often as it does in the tutorial zone? I just have a hard time understanding how people can talk about enjoying the combat system if it's constantly breaking up your flow like it was in the tutorial. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but it seemed like a neat game and I'm going to give it another good go after I beat Horizon.

Those segments show up pretty often, but they're usually brief and often have some sort of point to them. The tutorial section has to lay them on thick and fast to make sure players are used to adjusting their controls on the fly- especially their shooting controls- but it starts to mellow out pretty nicely after that. They're mostly used for narrow hallway segments where normal cameras or controls would suffer, or out of the way gimmick areas, at least as far as I've seen.

The tutorial section and the first couple areas are the blandest and most cookie-cutter in the game. Hold out until you get through the desert (trust me, it's nowhere near as big as it looks). If the desert boss doesn't hook you, there's a real fuckin' jaw-dropper of an area after that, and by all accounts that's nothing compared to what's coming up.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sponge Baathist posted:

Is NieR open world?

It's JRPG-style open world. Dark Souls open world. It's less about going into big structured plotty missions and more about quests that throw interesting combat/adventure encounters onto the board. And it genuinely feels like an adventure- I've yet to find a quest, even a basic fetch/clear quest, that didn't have a satisfyingly thick slab of plot or worldbuilding in it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm torn about this. Yeah, it's a drat good open world, but the opening tutorial corridor is so riotously anime in scope and variety. Jumping back and forth from bullet hell shooter -> mech shooter -> third person fighter -> side scroller -> bullet hell melee -> fight a goddamn oil rig.

The lead developer, Taro Yoko, gave a fuckin' amazing interview about this and a bunch of other stuff. Apparently he just gets bored of doing the same poo poo for too long, so he makes sure there's lots of tone/content shifts on the regular. Which doesn't explain the sponginess of some of the enemies, but it does explain why you can run from basically any non-plot encounter and go do something else for eight fuckin' hours before you remember that you were gonna kill that guy.

Also he loves making games about and including sexual themes because he finds that particular game industry taboo hilariously arbitrary. Which explains the robot orgy.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Nier: Automata:

Pod 042 getting fuckin' sassy.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tony Bologna posted:

So I decided to play my first Zelda game since the NES original, and Wind Waker is super adorable. Link has the stupidest faces all the time and I love how everyone is so casually rude to him.

How has it taken almost 30 years to find out I like this series...

You started with the best one for characterisation. Link has never been as lovably dim as he is in Wind Waker.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
I have never felt horror and relief like I felt when I accidentally kicked off the final ending of Nier: Automata and was given multiple chances to cancel out of it, both of which I missed, before learning that failing the final mission lets you drop back to the title screen. I'm really stupidly invested in this gameworld and I'm not ready to be done with it yet.

By the by, Nier: Automata gives you (mechanics spoilers, no plot stuff, but I really wish I'd known this ahead of time) a much-appreciated chapter select after the third ending, so don't worry too much about sidequesting or missing out on NPC conversations- you can tidy all that poo poo up later. And progress made via the chapter select screen counts toward overall progress so you can jump back to the A and B routes and finish off any leftover quests from those parts. Taro Yoko's gone soft.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
The sweeping, massive choral version of "The Weight of the World" that kicks in during the final credits for Nier:Automata. Knowing that the entire development team was part of that chorus just makes it all the sweeter.

Also that song in general. Gah, goosebumps every time.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

scarycave posted:

a dead Raz cameo in Madness Returns

I think that's just some good old 90's era mascot slapfighting. Which I would love to see more of.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
The careful, minimalist linework of Hollow Knight, which is quickly becoming one of my very fuckin' favourite games. It's pretty in screenshots but it looks so much better in motion. It feels like a hand-drawn animated film and it's fuckin' GORGEOUS.

Plus the gameplay is quick and crunchy and organic and there's lots of little tricks you can pull to get to stuff before you should be able to, which is always fun.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

J.A.B.C. posted:

Getting back to little things in games, one of the weapons in Nier will cheer and make fight noises when you max out its level. Its amazing, like having a personal hype-man for your fights.

I love the baseball bat that makes damage numbers comically huge, puts a comic book pow behind its colossally boosted critical hits, and turns all of the old, rusty loot boxes into out-of-place red-and-gold video game treasure chests.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
I prefer the THIS CANNOT CONTINUE version from earlier in the game myself, but to each their own.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gitro posted:

Only having to dodge once before 2B takes off is way better than continuously roll cancelling into and out of spear dashes.

Yeah, when you start running-to-travel in that game, I'm always a little bit astounded at just how fuckin' fast they let the character move. I'm pretty sure you can cross the entire map in like two minutes at top speed.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

yeah, I was waiting for the eye-rolling "main character is a robot!!!" twist and it was cool that the game saw me coming

Please don't post your fetishes in the games thread

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

swamp waste posted:

This is still my favorite video game title of all time

Like if they had called it Why Don't We Just Take A poo poo Right Into Your Hand it would only feel about half as hostile and demeaning to the game itself

This happens in the movie Ex Machina too-- after the main guy realizes that his boss' hypersexed maid is a robot, there's a little scene where he nervously cuts open the skin on his own arm with an x-acto or something. Thats not relevant to Binary Domain but it got me lollin. I like when fictional characters have the aptitude to notice and figure out things going on around them.

Nier: Automata's androids come off as underdeveloped on surface readings, but they're basically in a state of pathological cognitive dissonance at all times and trying to convince themselves (via convincing each other) that they're not seeing what they're seeing, hearing what they're hearing, et cetera. Playthrough two really reinforced just how much information isn't being shared between the characters.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

samu3lk posted:

I've been playing Hollow Knight like a fiend and at one point you rescue a shy NPC in a dungeon. She's sitting on a bench at the hub the next time you show up and makes a startled "OH!" sound if you walk past her. She won't talk to you and you can't interact with her.

If you leave and come back you can find her asleep in her room and you can read her diary where she's written romantic fanfiction about you and herself. It's got all this highly melodramatic purple prose and it's super corny and like 98% lies. The story updates at least twice (that I know of), each time detailing a different event in the story and your interactions with her.

Also there's a really weird, stupid boss in the sewer area and leading up to the fight you can hear him laughing and jabbering and it's really funny. The whole game has a lot of little touches that give the NPCs and the world you play in a lot of personality.

I was honestly shocked when the guy who hates you and just wants to find the arena and kill poo poo dies offscreen in the arena and gets unceremoniously dumped into the body pit before you arrive, but it was an almost perfect arc for that character.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Hey, Dark Souls is basically a game about zombies fighting zombies to end zombieism.

And Nier: Automata is a game about robots being sent by robots to fight robots in order to put an end to robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slime posted:

it's a metaphor for real wars

It's a metaphor for a lot of stuff.

Game's not exactly subtle.