Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's not the first one he's smashed, either. I picture Jensen having Buster Bluth "I'm a monster didn't ask for this!" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, he ate a few grandmas back in the day... That's a hard thing for people to get past, no matter how hard he's trying to turn things around.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Though as I understand it, the devs pretty much just bought the rights to the characters and setting and then did their own, better, thing.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It may not be drinking while you fish, but WoW had (Still has maybe, I dunno, haven't played in years) a type of alcohol that made you better at fishing.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
'Shoot the kid' was added in the patches - before then you just had to pick a colour or hang around forever.

As for the starvation thing, I thought that was just about the Normandy crew - You've got aliens and humans with incompatible biologies, and if the Mass Relays aren't working there's no rescue coming, so half the ship is dying of food poisoning. The planet isn't going to grow two different types of DNA-based food.

Mostly the ending felt lazy because instead of, say, the galaxy coming together, finding a weakness in the Reapers or the McGuffin turning off their shields or something, you just assemble the plot device and press a 'win' button. In the end, everything you did was pointless because it was all about pressing that button.

But this is the thread for little things, so I'll say that I like how Bioware at least put a token effort into explaining how their weird stuff works in ME. Like biotics - their bodies are full of element Zero since birth, and when electricity through nerves triggers them it makes the funky power fields. And then the humans (and a few others) use some cybernetics to make specific muscle movements trigger specific effects, so when Shep throws a field out it's not that they actually need to give it force, that's just the intuitive motion their rig was set up with.

I always wondered what would happen if you tased one...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Tracula posted:

I know this was basically an ending for Shadow Complex. Instead of saving your girlfriend you could just get back in the jeep and leave. I think the achievement for doing so was called "F Y I I'm Single."

Shadow complex is a great game, best Metroidvania in years.

My favourite bit is when you encounter the creepy doctor, and he starts boasting about how your hero won't be able to kill him. And half-way through that sentence, your guy shoots him and gets on with things. You've killed dozens on your way to him, after all.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Pokemon ORAS lets you put 'Organise Boxes' at the top of the menu, so you don't have to scroll past the separate commands for 'Withdraw' and 'Deposit'.

It's a very little thing. But convenient as hell.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Tales From The Borderlands has a 'TellTale Games will remember this' if you skip the credits.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Honestly, I think most of my problems with Sera would be solved with a different actress. She's supposed to be whimsical, but her actress is clearly having trouble emoting while also doing her accent, so she comes across as speaking too slowly and kinda monotone... She basically seems brain-damaged or mentally retarded.

It's like Rita from Arrested Development, but none of the characters ever realise.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think they're strategically placed beads... the kind of 'tribal native' costume you get on TV that I doubt is all that accurate.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Kalos posted:

Jensen's an obvious case of being promoted above his ability. Dude could take down an entire better-equipped army even before he was a robotic sin against god, but he just has no idea how to strategize or delegate tasks. I'm not entirely sure if he even actually has subordinates.

Plus it's his first day back after getting shot up, and his boss is having him be a one-man strike team. He never gets a chance to sit down and manage the building...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Junpei Hyde posted:

Is it just the same guy or is it literally Ghost Nappa's voice?

It's the same guy doing pretty much the same voice. Have a listen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKWxRtn5-Yg

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
All I remember about sim copter was the fluorescent nipples.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Mark Ecko sounds like a guy who got wedgie in high school, and a diva with a bug up his rear end about anything urban.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Plus most of what we know about the ancient Greeks is more specifically about Athenians, who had their own waifu goddess of war. How Greeks who weren't part of her favourite city felt about Ares is less represented.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Samuringa posted:

Dragon Quest Builders did it with a pun with is the best way; after managing to beat the first phase of the last boss, he goes into his superpowered form and strips you of all your armor, items or anything you built, mockingly reminding that you're a nobody who only got this far by relying on your crafting - your character does not Level Up in this game - and leaving you stranded on an arena with a chasm, making you an easy target and him unreachable. The Goddess that has been guiding you through the game then chimes in, that along the journey you didn't just build structures but also friendships, and all characters from the various worlds you've been through begin teleporting through the fight, throwing you various items you've used during the game and defeating the Dragonlord as a team.

DQ Builders 2's pun game is on-point too.

On the second island, the Khrumble-dun mines, there's a golem who used to be the town's protector and a golden golem, but was turned into a much weaker stone golem by The Madusa. The golem's name? Goldirox.

It'll take massive quantities of metal to restore the golem, so the player has to divide their focus between restoring the mines, and building up the town to keep the NPC miners motivated. Among the buildings you make are a simple watering hole, a swanky cabaret and finally a blinged-out pub to lure the Madusa in for a final confrontation.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Plus all the nonsense around the Super Crown...

Hmm... unhorny games... I would suggest Tetris until I remember the story behind a certain goon's avatar...

I'll suggest Dragon Quest. No horn can maintain itself in that pun-barrage.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My favourite part of MGS3 was the glitch where if you didn't heal injuries before certain cutscenes, they'd become cosmetically permanent. Which is why my Snake spent most of the game with a crossbow bolt sticking out of his skull, even while in disguise as a scientist.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Humans went from Internal combustion to Nuclear Reactors in around 100 years.

The Vulcans would be horrified to learn how many lives it took, and then terrified to learn that that was sometimes the point. We invent stuff so much quicker when we're at war.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

BioEnchanted posted:

Or a vulcan using it to deal with his urges during Pon Farr (although a Vulcan would probably never consider the human method of dealing with blue balls because they'd be too proud to)?

This is the plot of an episode of Voyager. Tuvok would rather cumsplode because he is married, and feels like it would be cheating on his wife, so they use pictures of her to make a wife-sim.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I could be making this up, but I remember hearing that in one of the games, that ratatta has maxed out growth stats, so for it's level it is actually the best it can be.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, that's... huh? Alright the male gaze for some titles can be pretty bad, but that's no reason to exclude all female protagonists.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It seems I need this game.

(It's on Switch and Epic, though doesn't seem to have actually released on Epic in the UK yet.)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
In our day we had to raid uphill in the snow!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There's a Batman and Superman that can believably exist in the same universe. Arkham Batman is not one of them.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like to think her level of destructiveness-as-solution extends to all walks of life, like her roommate gets home to find their place a smoking crater with Samus out front cooling her blaster arm. "I did the housecleaning"

"But Samus! All your powerups were in the dishwasher!"
"Well, guess I'm starting the next game having to find them all again."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nah, Yoda was pretty bad. Major 'Oddjob' syndrome where he was too short for lots of moves to connect with.

Or possibly everyone's favourite black hole of personality, the protagonist of Force Unleashed. With his memorable traits like... uh... Well, he was named Starkiller, and that's a reference to the original script of New Hope. And he was Vader's secret apprentice!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ah, the Scheherazade defense.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
So are football hooligans. They like their team, and will fight anyone who likes a different one.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Phy posted:

gently caress, I just realized I'll never get to hear Bill Paxton read Sonic fanfiction

Give it five years, and you'll be able to get an AI trained on his voice to read anything you like.

CJacobs posted:

Very very tiny attention to detail in Death Stranding: You can put little accessories on your backpack which give you small bonuses to things like your ability to sense enemies and the amount of materials you receive from pickups. One of these charms is a small silver bell. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it actually jingles as you walk around and it jingles louder if you shake it a lot! It's just that it's so tiny that I figured they wouldn't bother but nope, the Kojima Attention To Detail levels are still as high as they've ever been.

This is the guy who included dynamic ice-cube melting based on proximity to other ice cubes and heat from bullets that pass near them on the PS2. He probably wanted to include eight different bell trinkets with different tones.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The best pacifist-run game is Iji, where as long as it's not your bullets that kill them, your kill-count stays at 0 and the game explicitly tells you this. Lure two different alien factions to each other? Shatter a floor under someone? Duck a rocket aimed at you so it hits someone else? Reflect a rocket back at it's shooter with your personal forcefield? It's all pacifist baby!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Kennel posted:

Elizabeth is in Bioshock. Dishonored has Emily.

Yeah, but what if Emily is one of the Alternate Universe Elizabeths, mm? They both do portal stuff in steampunkish environments.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ocelot learned plenty in MGS3.

How to twirl a revolver
Electric Torture Fetish
Man-Crush on Big Boss
Giant Robots can be beaten by one person on foot with a rocket launcher
Always Be Betraying

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Miller takes off his sunglasses and tells them he's their brother.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Twisted Metal?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I assumed FC4 dude was meant to be a blank slate to project onto... I guess I was giving it too much credit.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

I like that they show his arm-cannon Mega-Buster and ALSO give him a Flash Gordon laser pistol.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Metal Saga: Season of Steel sounds like a Harvest Moon game where everyone and everything is robots.

Also I wish for it to be on the record that Crackdown 1 is the superior game in the franchise, with 2 replacing most of the gangs and gunplay with firing solar lasers at mutants, like a r18 movie that gets a Saturday morning cartoon.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Kennel posted:

I gave my adventurer a pet snail.

It's on my head for some reason.

Sadly I can't pet it.

Your good boy/girl/mollusc is sharing it's helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Feels like that was probably there from the start... Not sure about strength, but I recall Dante no-selling getting a sword through the torso twice in the first few stages of the original DMC.