Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Not sure if it's been posted yet - Only up to about Page 13 here, but someone reminded me of it. I am the only person on Earth who actually liked Singularity, the FPS. And the thing that pushed me over into liking the horrible, linear thing was the little touch at the end.

Shoot the Scientist, become a general under the Commissar. Shoot the Commissar, and the Scientist helps you undo most of what you've done. But there's a brief period after you shoot one where you still have control of your own actions... And a revolver. Shoot the other one, and become God-King of a new United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Tracula posted:

Not to pick on you but I'm wondering why linear is such a dirty word to people thesedays with games? I mean, yeah, Farcry, Skyrim, etc are great and all since they let you explore but a good deal of me likes when a game is linear since you play through, get the experience and that's it, no real frills. Sometimes I don't want a CYOA with a game but that's just me :shrug:

I think I misspoke. The linearity of the game isn't bad - its storyline proceeds across a single set of events, which is fine, and there's no gameplay variation, which is also fine. The issue I have with Singularity is how limited the TMD's applications are. You can use it as a method for manipulating the age of your enemies in a very limited way or altering a very few things in the environment.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

I liked Singularity.

I'm actually trying to think of other games that give you two explicit options for a choice and accept a third. That really did push me over into loving that game.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

EmmyOk posted:

I got Alien: Isolation last week but only got around to starting it this evening. When you first wake up from Cryosleep you're told to go find clothes. If you speak to Samuels before getting dressed he'll talk normally but at the end tell you to put clothes on before your meeting. Very like JC Denton in the Women's bathroom!

Alien: Isolation is *made* from little poo poo that is expressly designed to interlock in a perfect pattern of making the player extremely happy at being deeply unhappy.

Everything from hiding under a countertop listening to a bunch of people bullshit about how horrible their day has been while they actively hunt for you to having a moment of silence for the man who granted unto you the gift of fire by not drinking those last eight ounces of whiskey before shooting himself. It's all good, right down to the aesthetic.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalos posted:

What's even the point of destroying something if you don't leave behind a pile of rubble?

There is a mission where you have to blow up a bridge as some EDF are driving across it. The bridge itself is one of the most heavily-fortified structures in the game. The best way to do it is get the Nano Rifle out, and use it to aerosolize the supports of the bridge. Since the game effectively simulates the weight of moving vehicles, the convoy will drive right over, and the resulting pile of garbage, corpses, and explosions looks like an accident instead of terrorism.

Doing the mission this way actually spares you the high-speed fleeing-from-police that usually occurs at the end of RF:G's missions. You get to have your nanomechanical cake and eat it, too.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

That "learning a lesson" thing reminded me of one of the many reasons I love Xenoblade Chronicles.

In a similar vein, I liked the way Syndicate - the FPS, not the isometric - had its plot progress. All throughout the game, I was dreading what I had come to call the "Hippie Moment" - the one where someone would come up to your main character and tell him, "No, Miles Kilo, you're a Real Boy and you don't have to do what the Evil Fascist Corporation tells you anymore~" and then they'd do something to remove his awesome superpowers and it would be a thing about how Man Is Better Than This or some other stupid bullshit that isn't about a 'roided-up combat cyborg murdering his way through large cities.

There's even the perfect setup for it, where you go and "deal with" the unchipped underclasses. People who took a Moral Stand to Not Wear The Tools of The Man.

Nope. Never happens.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I love procedural science fiction. I'm the guy who would play an entire game made out of the intro to Half-Life - just Gordon Freeman Goes To Work And Everything Is Fine. Gimme 80 hours of that poo poo and I'm happy as can be.

Given that, my favorite little thing in a game recently has been that in Elite: Dangerous there is an option in your ship's cockpit - Not the game settings, but in your SHIP - that de-automates preflight checks. Toggle it and you've got to go through the preflight checklist every time you take off. It adds a few seconds to the departure proceedings, but I love it because I'm weird.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
One of my fairly-recent favorite things in games comes not directly from the game, but from the community surrounding the game. With Payday2, Overkill has more or less continuously added new content: levels, characters, weapons, objectives, even reworked a few core systems to do neat things. When Hotline Miami 2 came out, they added Jacket as a PC.

Somewhere buried in the comments thread for that update on Steam - somewhere between the whining about how "Overkill is loving us again" and "UGH now I have to buy a DIFFERENT GAME" is

"Man, there used to be a loving dress code."

Everyone except Jacket wears a two-piece suit. The two women don't wear ties, and one of them wears sneakers. Jacket dgaf, shows up to heists in his letterman jacket, t-shirt, and jeans.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

scamtank posted:

[reviving player]
click zurzrwirfzp Please avoid operating heavy machinery while under the influence of painkillers! click zirsfzup

They partially missed the opportunity, I think. There was room for much more PSA/jingle/language tape/dictator speech patchwork, but most of the lines come from that one pleasant lady voice. The only times I can reliably hear the others are when I'm spotting guards (Ein Wachtmann!).

They are adding a LOT more lines - Pretty much every patch increases the number of lines Jacket has. Of course, the best is when putting on your mask.

Please enjoy your flight.
The following program is for mature audiences only.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You're becoming hysterical.

Any time the game had me to ANYTHING that involved the Joes - from "pass through Synthetic storage" to "activate the stockroom Joe", I tried really, really hard to not do that thing. It's not the happy butler persona overlay, it's not the difficulty of killing them. It's that I was playing Hard at first, then Nightmare, and those motherfuckers can kill you with a backhand. And they're never truly locked-out/tagged-out.

Except for one, very early in the game, sitting in a storage locker with a big red TAG-OUT sticking out from where its power cables have clearly been unplugged in the neck. That, I liked.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I just noticed this for the first time :laugh:

For those who have never played it, in Transistor, you can stop time on the battlefield to queue up attacks. The game will predict the outcome of each single attack in a list that hovers near the enemy, counting up the damage you'll do when the attacks are executed. If you queue up a bunch of attacks on an enemy that is weak enough that it'll be overkilled by a ridiculous margin, you get this lovely little message.

That's not the only message.

"Overkill" when you've applied one extra hit to a target that will be downed from the attacks you've queued in turn(), up to 120% of its HP.
"Overkill!" when you've applied two extra hits or 150%.
"DO YOU EVEN READ" when you've applied three hits over or 200%.
"Overkill!!!" for four or 250%.
"YOU ARE MEAN." for anything 5+ / 300%+

If you run through the game multiple times, it's fairly easy to get nothing but "YOU ARE MEAN".

My favorite "overly concerned with the damage you're dealing" script, though, remains the punch tutorial from Gunpoint. It proceeds from telling you that one punch is OK and enough to knock someone out up through giving you an achievement if you'll please just stop punching that guy.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Okay, ready for the dumbest little thing in games that entertains me? Ingress.

I'm a moderator for a mid-size Enlightened community and I work with both ENL Global Operations and the Enlightened North America Cooperative Center for anomaly planning. I've met a lot of players from around the world, and have discovered that the average number of players on each side is unbalanced in different regions for semiotic reasons.

Here in the US, we're Enlightened versus Resistance, and the Resistance holds sway - 70% of the player population wants to be in the rebellion. In China? The Resistance are the "Revolutionaries" and the Enlightened are the "Heaven's Lights". They have a vastly higher ENL population because of their semiotics. Russia is divided roughly evenly, and the Russian players I know think it's because the two faction colors are the same. There's no green and blue there, but two shades of teal. In Spain, the Resistance is over 80% of the player population because the Enlightened are called the Illuminati by the game's systems.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Cleretic posted:

He's a good man underneath it all, but he's a good man with a nuclear option who's recruited at least one child soldier.

Awgh. You've just reminded me of my favorite little part of Ground Zeroes. Not favorite because they make me feel good, either. Favorite because it shows that no matter how many problems Big Boss causes, he will still be better than the men who kidnapped said child soldier.

XOF bolted Chico's ankles to keep him immobile. gently caress people who would do that.

Exit Strategy has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Jul 12, 2015

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

William Bear posted:

Alien Isolation has so much great detail. It even goes a little deeper in the typical video game convention of using power tools as weapons, and shows you the other perspective: that of a pissed-off engineer supervisor:

You'll see this right after leaving the room where you get the Bolt Driver.

I love that with the bolt driver, you can actually see how they compromised the safeties. The thing's clearly designed to drive sections of hull plating onto structural members, and so should be grounded to the hull with a big, chunky battery that has an exposed negative contact. Put the battery on the hull plate, and press the front of the driver to the plate to complete the circuit. Squeeze trigger, KTHUMP, plate secure. Move on.

The rear end in a top hat who decided this was good for taking out androids just duct-taped the poo poo out of the battery and grounded the thing to the driver's casing with a spare length of copper cable.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't understand why so many people are obsessed with him, his games are sometimes weird in a good way but he's basically a horny teenager and can't resist making sure you know that all the time in his character designs.

"There are two Hideo Kojimas. One Kojima injects every Metal Gear Solid game with earnest if overbearing discussions of nuclear disarmament, the morality of genetic experimentation, the nature of warfare, and the difference between patriotism and terrorism. The other Kojima lets you call Rose in Metal Gear Solid 4 and shake your SIXAXIS to make her boobs jiggle."

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

swamp waste posted:

I know you didn't write this but isn't this legitimately a bad idea? A wrong and even harmful way to think about things you have mixed feelings about

What mixed feelings? I love the gently caress out of the Metal Gear games and dgaf about other people's opinions about my opinions. I just found the quote relevant.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
If you run at someone and punch them in Phantom Pain, you will sometimes hear the Bionic Man woosh.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Robert Edison Fulton, Junior is God's gift to comedy. I have had to call for extra Fulton bags so many times that I'm sure the helicopter has space for one dude and the rest is just Fulton bags.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Samfucius posted:

Did anyone else notice in the emblem editor you can make a perfect Dairy Queen logo?

I've never looked back

I've been running this company.

If Nobody's Left, Nobody Saw™

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Just off the top of my head, I don't think there's any way for the Tongs to die.

It is, however, possible for the vast majority of people to die in that game. i went through a bad time in my life two years ago and systematically depopulated several cities in DXHR as stress relief.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Kimmalah posted:

It's from Costume Quest 2 actually. The Candy Corn costume does that every time it takes a turn and of course there's an achievement that requires you to use that costume for the entirety of the game. The only upside is that it's basically designed as a damage magnet.

The lines are fantastic, though.

"Candy Corn does what it can."
"Candy Corn doesn't want the responsibility."
"Candy Corn fears no man."
"Candy Corn is going for the long con."
"Check out Candy Corn!"
"Don't expect much from Candy Corn."
"Here is a cool shot of Candy Corn."
"If Candy Corn had arms this fight would be SO over."
"It's time to look at Candy Corn."
"Yep. It's Candy Corn."

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I always really loved some of the little touches in Anachronox. One of the best is that a hundred years prior to the game's start, every economy in the entire galaxy collapsed except Canada's, "because their money was already valueless". Now, the default currency of all places that still use cash is the Canadian dollar.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

William Bear posted:

Any other creative tactics I missed?

I once hid the disk in the only place the operatives never thought to look. Inside the nuke.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Jim DiGriz posted:

You should really try Payday 2.

The flamethrower in Payday 2 might be the best flamethrower in video game history. It does a poo poo-ton of direct damage and the afterburn stacks, so for every second you have fire on-target you've doubled your afterburn damage. Only a handful of the enemies in the game can withstand a full tank of fuel. It takes a little bit to learn how to use it properly, but nothing clears a room like it. Combine it with a very accurate, powerful secondary and you've got the ability to live through almost anything in that game.

My favorite little thing in Payday 2, though, is the mask customization system. How with only a few simple choices (material, pattern, colors for pattern) you can render something genuinely disturbing. I get kicked from pubbie matches for wearing these things. Behold:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

That is horrifying. :gonk:

I wasn't kidding. I have been ejected from games for wearing Leather Cushion Baby. I keep trying to get someone to make a version of it that I can wear as an Airsoft mask.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Payday2's mask customization system continues to deliver dividends in the "favorite little things" department.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Payday 2 again. The netcode is miraculous. One of my regular teammates has DSL, and experienced some sibling-originated lag. Cue five minutes of him standing in the same place, turning furiously as bullets pour into him to no effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGzNlmNbptE

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Axiom Verge had a bunch of great stuff in it, but by far my favorite "little thing" is the Secret Worlds, which spawn pseudorandomly with weird access methods and never in the same place in sequential games.

Plus they look like someone badly wounded a Metroid cart with a static discharge gun and used it anyway.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Inco posted:

Sure it can, but I don't see how that relates to Fallout.

Especially since the last good Fallout game was 2.

I like that Doom 4 hinges on a bit of real-world NASA thinking. When they were designing the Z-1 suit for Mars missions (which has since been preempted by the Z-2, yes) they determined that the way you would most easily see someone in Mars' environment would be by making the suit white and bright loving lime green. This is because while the Martian dust would eventually make the suit pink or red, the green color isn't as easy to overcome and is more visible as a contrast in that environment.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Canemacar posted:

Come on. I played and loved Fallout 1 and 2, and I played Brotherhood. But you got to admit New Vegas is the best the series has ever been.

It's pretty cool for an Elder Scrolls game.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Mister Adequate posted:

Disposing of the bodies isn't an issue if every single human being in Afghanistan is dead :colbert:

I liked the logo creator.

Combine it with the Fulton system and you have the ability to be direct and honest about what happens to everywhere you go:

Bonus: This takes away every single shred of dignity present in cutscenes. "Plant your roots in me," indeed.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Mister Adequate posted:

Junkrat has two different waves, one normal, one when his left hand is holding his remote detonator. Game's loving polished.

Bastion waves its left hand when in Recon Mode. In Siege Mode, it extends its welder arm and waves that instead.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

Kinda related: I've played around a hundred Overwatch matches and only once have I been with lovely, mouthy kids.

I main Bastion, and it's a surprisingly fun thing to do - You get a lot more lovely behavior out of people when you take time to learn how to play Bastion with something approximating skill.

Of course, if the enemy team is taking time out of their attack run to try to kill me instead of standing on the loving point then I'm doing my job adequately.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also wholly satisfying after you've pushed their poo poo in for a bit and half (or all) of the entire opposing team set out to gently caress you up :allears:.

If you want some fun with Bastion on Offense, get a buddy to run Reinhardt. He pushes in, you set up behind. Or get on the Payload together to form a Pain Train :black101:.

Yes.

And we call this the "Sodium Podium."

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Cleretic posted:

There's some for maps, too! I only started playing yesterday (I'm good at Symmetra and that's about it), but apparently both McCree the cyborg-cowboy and Reaper have separate history at Route 66.

Lucio has a bit where he'll go "Hey, Bastion, cheggitout: Beep boop bwop booo beep." And initially, I thought he was being an rear end in a top hat. But no, Bastion responds - Lucio apparently speaks whatever the gently caress combat Omnics use as vocal comms.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

PrinnySquadron posted:

XCOM occasionally picks the perfect call sign

I liked XCOM's callsign system. As far as I can tell, it seems to be vaguely linked to the soldier's combat record? I've had soldiers that perform a lot of moves in combat frequently get called things like "Speedy", and at one point I had this guy who survived a bunch of should-have-been-lethal hits through pure dice luck. He achieved Captain rank, and the game issued him his nickname.

In the final mission he died. We will miss you, Lian "Huge" Wang.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Honestly, my favorite story in SS13 is remarkably straightforward. I've been running a MiniStation map for an IRC server I'm on for a while now, and I usually pick up Engineer. I've determined that the most efficient way to get MiniStation's little heat-difference engine working is to turn the entirety of Engineering into an ultra-high-pressure, continuously-exploding plasma bomb.

It works really, really well unless someone decides to try and figure out how the thing is SUPPOSED to work or tries to restore the original configuration and only ends up something something original conflagration.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
My favorite "little thing" in Destiny is rolling up on other, often lower-level Guardians who are having Serious Trouble with a running gunfight they're engaged in. Hop in, murder the gently caress out of a few terrifying space abominations. Everybody waves and goes about their business.

Being on the other side is pretty boss, too.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

AlphaKretin posted:

Dishonored agrees - it tracks Stealth/"Assault" totally separate from Lethal/Non-Lethal, or at least 2 does. IIRC 1 doesn't care what you do with the former, which isn't an approach I exactly mind.

PAYDAY2 cares not whether the silence comes from being unperceived or from murdering everything within a six-block radius. All that matters is no 911 calls were placed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

Yes, Miller, I am.
What don't you get about how I operate?

I am fultoning everything.

My PMC's logo: