Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Randalor posted:

I'm honestly a little sad he suppressed the giggles. His character is clearly losing his marbles at this point in the game anyways and is actively killing his own soldiers out of paranoia. gently caress it, let him collapse into maniacal laughter as he says "SPACE!".

I've now watched every Tim Curry cutscene on YouTube and they're all amazing. At one point he takes a good long look at his assistants rear end then gives the camera a knowing smirk. It almost makes me want to play the game but there's no way it can live up to the Curryscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Mafia 3

When you get into a shootout with the cops, if you get into a car during you'll hear a report of your active situation being reported live. It's a great little thing that I don't remember other open world games doing and it really enhances the atmosphere by making your getaway chase feel way more tense and real.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Several GTA games will do the same, actively reporting "Suspect is fleeing in, uh... a green [car model]"

You're right, so I should clarify. In the GTA games it always felt like you were just listening in on the police scanner. In Mafia it's presented as a breaking news report so you're in a tense shootout, you get into a car and as you're making your getaway the radio comes on and you hear breaking news about the shootout the French Ward that you just participated in.

It does also do the "eavesdrop on the police scanner" thing so you know when a search has been called off (for example) so I thought the radio reporting was a nice little extra touch.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Hell I've had "strange meat" people in my inventory for ages just waiting for some possible use for it

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

haveblue posted:

she's got eeeeeyes
on the iiiiiinside

She's got eyes and they're made of bees?

(I haven't played the game in question)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

NLJP posted:

Re: Alpha Protocol

Hacking still broken on keyboard and mouse? That put me right off it when it came out.

I've never had a problem hacking with kb+m. I actually find it really exciting to have to use both simultaneously to find the pattern so maybe I'm just weird. In what way was it broken?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

In Sleeping Dogs I really enjoy having Wei deny he's a cop while dressed head to toe in SWAT gear. Also, eat and drink food while wearing a surgical mask. Also, slapping enemies with live fish.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Glagha posted:

The only problem I have with Prey is that it's probably the worst case of "same title reboot" I've ever seen. They called the second Prey Prey.

It's going to be the third Prey just called Prey. I hope they keep this trend going.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The best little thing in Sleeping Dogs is when you get the batmobile :allears:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Viperix posted:

Not just talk to a stop sign. You get into an argument with one and lose.

You've made a powerful enemy today, sign!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

Same, but as John Wick.

Does he still get Dogmeat though? :ohdear:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Crusader Kings II is full of "little things" that are fantastic but this one takes the cakes for sure.

Now, in the game you don't play one person. You effectively play a dynasty. You play one person at a time but that person dies in battle/of old age/of disease/of murder...the point is they die. They can even die of loving. The game is chock full of ways to die. When you do die if you have an heir you play the heir. If you have no heir it's game over. So obviously since you're guaranteed to die you want to arrange things to have a good heir. The game has traits that are basically genetic. Attractive/ugly, smart/stupid, and muscular and such. The positive genetic traits are generally really nice and things you want to have. You aren't guaranteed to pass them on but having a genetic trait makes it more likely your children will which makes it easier to get good heirs. Of course there are no guarantees and that's what makes the game interesting. So of course if it's time to get married you also want to find a spouse that has those traits. You can also make extra babies with lovers, concubines, or extra wives, depending on how you're playing and what religion you are. Even so no matter how hard you try it's extraordinarily rare to have a ruler with two genetic traits. You just plain can't even plan on having one for every heir so you just do your best and hope you can sometimes get a genius ruler or a muscular one that lives to be 90 or something. The point is most of your rulers won't have strong genetic traits.

So anyway with one particular expansion you can pick a "focus" for your life. One of them is hunting. So while you're tooling around in the woods you can sometimes meet a random woman living in an isolated shack in the middle of nowhere. She'll be in her early twenties (as in, young and fertile) and invite you in complaining about how lonely she is. But when you look at her traits she'll be both attractive and intelligent. Mind those are both genetic traits and actually decent ones. Theoretically since she wants to hump and offers to become your lover you can have a better shot at having heirs with genetic traits. She's just too drat attractive for players to pass up easily.

So of course I did the first few times I found her in the woods. Since I play Vikings most of the time I just took her as a concubine rather than as a lover so the children would be legitimate. The problem is that she gives you syphilis every single time. It's such a perfectly constructed trap. So yeah if you meet the woods babe don't hump her.

Now I want to play this but I'm worried I won't like the gameplay. Pretty much the only type of game like this I've played is Civ 5 which I got in a humble bundle and found I really dug.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

And the way they set up Jane Austen being the narrator is legitimately brilliant. It's good plotting.
I played through that whole game and don't remember this at all. End credits scene?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Is that the london one? The london one was actually good, right? They release too many now and I've completely lost track since they stopped using numbers.

Yeah I'm 75% of the way through it right now. It has zero modern day bits (so far at least) and the reconstruction of London is remarkable.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Monster Rancher 2 is a deep rabbit hole and you start with a dog everyone around you insists on calling a Tiger. Then like, ten hours later you're slowly working some piece of poo poo dinosaur to death so it can die and you can piss on its grave so you can enslave its ghost and work its ghost to death out of spite.

I've never played this series. How literal is this description and why?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

The only modern day bits are a few short cutscenes and, iirc, there's only ONE in the middle of the game.

Make sure you poke around the east end of the Thames once you get around 2/3rds through the plot.

I already found WW1 and I'm saving it for later :hfive:

Also, I would love to check out Monster Rancher but it doesn't exactly sound like something I could check out easily sadly. I'm assuming even a rom wouldn't really work based on the disk swapping bit?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I'm playing Ducktales Remastered and I love that there's a dedicated section that lets you just high dive into the money vault and swim around to your little ducky hearts content :3:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I've always enjoyed driving through cows to see that happen but who knew you could just punch them into meat bites too!?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Since it came up in the past few pages, Steamworld Dig is currently free on Origin (I know I know ugh) and its a fantastic little game. Didn't even know there was a sequel!

Also I've been playing Just Cause 3 and one of the standard items you have to destroy to liberate areas is a projector which projects propaganda onto a big screen. I got curious how they actually did it though so I hooked one up to my car and was presently surprised the projection is actually rendered separately and not just an image tied to the screen. As you pull the projector away the image lowers in perfect real-time off the screen. Means nothing to gameplay but I appreciate that level of detail in modeling and rendering rather than using a cheap shortcut.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I'm now desperate to play Future Perfect (I loved loved Perfect Dark and PD Zero) but I'll never own an PS2. Does Rare even exist anymore or is there no chance of a modern remaster?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

^^ it's poo poo like this that reminds me I'm old.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Aithon posted:

Who better to draw like Greek statues than literal statues.

I read the synopsis and I still don't understand anything.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

nael posted:

And somehow good cats at the same time

Thank you I was getting really confused

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Don Gato posted:

E: forgot to mention my favorite one liner BJ gives "Okay... Okay... You put a Nazi on the moon"

Beat

"gently caress you, moon"
I literally just saw that bit and came here to post it and decided to at least read the current page and I can't believe I've been beaten to it so recently!

This is the best game I've played in years. I've never seen a silly shooter (as in, no care for realism, dual wield shotguns and eat dog food for health) be so goddamn profound.

His "gently caress you moon" is just delivered so perfectly.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Another actual little thing from New Order:

If you flush all the toilets in the hideout BJ says to himself "this is becoming a compulsion".

Also Set is a wonderful character but if he's a Polish Jew why does he speak English with an old timey Brooklyn accent?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

W_D2 is the rare game where it literally feels like they fixed every single complaint about the first one. I remember being so disappointed you could only reskin your outfit in the first one and there were hardly any dogs at all, watched or otherwise!

Nuebot posted:

It's absolutely chalk full of little things

It could definitely use more chalk tbh

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Is Perfect Dark for 360 the exact same game as the N64 original, just with improved graphics? I have the remaster but from my fuzzy memories of the N64 version the 360 one feels more of a sequel-lite sort of thing.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're thinking of Perfect Dark Zero, which was a prequel. There is indeed also a port of Perfect Dark with improved graphics though.

Oh drat there are two PD games for 360? :dance:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

That game was the bomb. I should see if my 360 disk will work on the xbone, I never finished that one back in the day.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'd be interested in would be a game where it simulated being something so inhuman as to not even use the same senses, like a Spider. Having to navigate based not on visual accuracy but on light intensity or vibration alone, with no real sense of up or down because it doesn't loving matter, everything is the floor. You find a nice dark spot to spin your web, only for it to shake apart suddenly in the morning, and suddenly due to how hard it vibrates you see a massive shape displacing the hell out of the air and realise - one of the walls you used to anchor your web was actually the side of a tumble-dryer.

Just research the hell out of whatever you pick, find out how it does see the world and try to translate it to an audio visual medium.

Did you ever play that cockroach adventure game?

E: Bad Mojo : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Mojo

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

When I'm filthy rich I'm gonna own a cabin in the woods exclusively to play horror games

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Samuringa posted:

One mission on Watch_Dogs2, called Hack The World has you infiltrating a spacecraft base and planting a bug in a rocket that's about to be launched. When it's on orbit, you access it like one of the cameras from the game, getting a full view of Earth and all the databases of Blume(the EVIL corporation). Then you go around the world, flipping through the satellites that are on orbit, and invading each of the sites that Blume owns and hacking them until you have enough openings to enter the main one and extract their info by solving a massive pipe puzzle(But with data).

This game :allears:

Yeah I adored that. You get to revisit it again too!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not playing Hitman but this is still pretty neat.

https://i.imgur.com/Yn6ubAZ.mp4

I love those games but never actually have the patience to play them properly but drat do I want to do that for hours

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I haven't played Smash literally since the N64 original but that sounds fantastic and something I'd welcome in fighting games in general.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

My favourite little thing is The Saboteur is the way France goes from black and white to full beautiful colour as you liberate it from the Nazis. I'm only remembering it now because I was browsing the GoG sale and it's only Ł3.79 right now. Such a wonderful and under-appreciated game.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Doc M posted:

the problem there is that GameCube component cables are obscenely rare and expensive. You could use the Wii's backwards compatibility and play the game on that system at 480p because the cables are much cheaper, but I'm sure that's not an option either for some reason.
Huh I just have mine sitting in a box because I figured I may want to revisit my GameCube someday. Time to go casually check eBay I guess.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

Actual component cables? Like, YPbPr ones?

You give out loans?

The multicoloured ones that plugged it into the TV, if that's them, they're rolled up next to the GC power supply, old-school aux input and controllers yeah. This feels like we're heading into derail territory though so feel free to PM.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Lobok posted:

"Oh, Butterfly Effect? That was a delightful GBA game I played a few weeks ago where you have to manage and grow a butterfly conservatory. It had lush graphics and an art style reminiscent of a proto-Yoshi's World. The most interesting mechanic was how your choice of starter species determined what the fashions and personalities of the romance option characters would be."

Not an emptypost

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I forgot that game existed but yeah Lucky & Wild was top tier arcading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To get back on topic:

My favorite little thing in Smash Bros is how for Pikachu they actually made several of its costumes female Pikachus. Something that is utterly meaningless and basically impossible to notice but is a nice little touch.

What are you noticing? I haven't played recent Smash nor do I follow Pokémon. I didn't know they were gendered but I'm sure you can guess what I'm assuming you mean.