Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

pulp rag posted:

Godspeed, you beautiful, robot bastards.
The USS Constitution mission was the moment I stopped listening to Piper's comments. She wanted me to support the local scavengers because "getting those resources to people is more important than supporting some robots' fantasy" gently caress that, those scavengers were assholes and didn't deserve a goddamn thing except the several broadsides I fired in their general direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Banjo, Conker and some other characters in DKR are owned by Rare/Microsoft, and when DKR was re-released on the DS years ago they had to replace them. From what I understand, MS is a lot more chill these days when it comes to licensing so they could probably figure out some sort of agreement.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Well poo poo Kiryu, you've got a Super Hang-On machine, what other action would you ever need?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Samuringa posted:

Despite being released a reasonable time ago, the entirety of the content was never fully restored to a completely playable state, as the original team who began the works disappeared - with all their tools
Ah, the Sith Lords Restoration Project by Team Gizka. I kept a pretty close eye on that because I really like The Sith Lords and wanted to be able to play the cut content, but of course it all ended in a mess of stupid nerd drama bullshit.

Basically, the guy in charge of the TSL Restoration Project did his best to alienate everyone he was working with for several years, then at some point an early beta got leaked and he got mad about that (understandably) so he ended up working on the mod alone for the next... year? Two years? There were many people wanting to help him out, but he refused because this was his mod and he didn't need any assistance. Meanwhile, the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod project had started, and they were making quick progress which made TSLRP look kinda bad. Anyway, it eventually turned out he never actually did any work on the mod at that point despite constant assurances that he'd release something soon, and then when called out by one of the remaining playtesters after a long period of radio silence he went "I have a girlfriend now unlike all you sad nerds caring about this video game, so I haven't had time to work on this thing" and took down all the completed work and tools soon after.

I'm absolutely not attacking the guy for daring to have a life outside Star Wars video game modding (can you imagine dealing with hardcore Star Wars nerds, modding nerds, and RPG grognards on a constant basis?), but maybe he could've handed the project over to someone else instead of nuking everything. At least we got TSLRCM out of all that, and it's pretty good even if it doesn't quite match the scope TSLRP promised.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Inzombiac posted:

For those that may not know: EDF has a big pool of voice lines that your soldiers can yell. They are somewhat context sensitive but the real treat is that the call and the answer are not entirely related.
However they sometimes sync up really well.
"Are we gonna die here?"
"YES SIR!"

EDF is the best game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Wait, do they actually carry around CRT TV's?
HDTVs add a few frames (20-30 milliseconds or so) of input lag, which literally makes the game unplayable to these people. I mean, they could try to adapt to this and maybe even change their playstyle slightly to account for the lag inherent to modern displays, but who does that? Better to lug around those 100-pound CRTs and annoy tournament organizers.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Dec 15, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

According to the Display Lag Database, the low end for input lag seems to be at around 10 milliseconds now for computer monitors, which is pretty good when a single frame at 60 fps is 16.7 milliseconds. My Samsung TV bought a couple of years ago has 20 ms of lag, which still appears to be one of the lower values for HDTVs.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Cleretic posted:

I believe it's specifically the conversion from CRT to HDTV that causes the input lag that really creates problems for things like fighting games and speedruns.
Yeah, my original post was simplifying things a bit too much. Games that use interlaced video modes (and 240p, which was kind of a progressive video mode used by old consoles where only one of the fields of alternating scanlines was drawn, and is NOT handled well by HDTVs) do get a couple of frames of lag on top of the display's inherent lag due to the deinterlacing process where they combine the two interlaced fields (which would flicker rapidly on a CRT to create the image) into one single frame.

Now, when it comes to Smash Bros. Melee, GameCube games can run in 480p mode (except in the PAL region because gently caress you, I guess) and skip the deinterlacing, but the problem there is that GameCube component cables are obscenely rare and expensive. You could use the Wii's backwards compatibility and play the game on that system at 480p because the cables are much cheaper, but I'm sure that's not an option either for some reason. The reason might be that the HDTV would still have to do some scaling to fill the screen, which can add a little bit more lag to the proceedings, but who the hell knows.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Dec 15, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Multicolored as in red, green and blue or red, white and yellow? Component is the former.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That whole rail shooter bit is so bizarre. Tonally, stylistically and even gameplay-wise it feels like it's from a completely different game.

If 0 was one of the remakes id guess it's just a legacy thing from before the series found its identity but...
It's an homage to the rail shooter section in the original Yakuza. Zero has a few setpieces where they basically reuse a bit from Yakuza 1 in a different context. Then Kiwami came out and recycled them again. :v:

That original rail shooter in Yakuza 1, by the way, was a barely playable mess. In order to aim, you had to use the shoulder buttons to turn Kiryu 90 degrees, and enemies could shoot you from offscreen.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Kennel posted:

Driver.

If you beat the garage, there's an entire campaign mode.
With a final mission that is technically possible to complete, but was never playtested because the developers were in such a rush to ship the game. I never got that far myself.

I still think the garage tutorial is not that difficult, but I have also won the cross-country races in GTA: San Andreas without scratching the car (on multiple occasions) and 100% completed Stuntman on the PS2 so there is a slight chance my experience isn't exactly representative of the actual difficulty. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

PancakeTransmission posted:

I'm not actually good at games, I probably just figured out the mafia physics early on and took it easy.
That is honestly a good strategy for every race mission in everything, and even for real racing because it doesn't matter how fast you drive if you don't stay on the road. As the extremely well-worn saying in motor racing goes, "To finish first, first you have to finish."

I did the Mafia race pre-patch as well. It was a bit of a pain in the rear end on the old Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad which obviously had no analog support of any kind, but I got there eventually.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Dangerous Driving, the spiritual successor to Burnout developed by the original creators of that series, just came out. There are some rough edges due to the drastically lower budget and smaller dev team, but they absolutely nailed the Burnout 2 and 3 style gameplay (albeit only at 30 fps with bad frame-pacing on the base PS4 and Xbone models, so I probably wouldn't recommend playing on either of those because this is a game where 60 fps really makes a difference).

That is cool in its own right, but the reason I'm bringing it up in the thread is the fact they were really dedicated to replicating the classic Burnout gameplay -- even though Dangerous Driving never seems to mention this, you can still do a boost start with the exact same mechanics and timing as in Burnout 2 and 3. I just decided to give it a shot, and it worked!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

I am tentatively hype for this, but it hinges on one thing: are traffic cars properly dangerous like Burnouts 1 and 2, or are they hockey pucks like in 3?
The hockey puck thing, or traffic checking, was introduced in Burnout Revenge. Burnout 3 still had traffic cars which would murder your rear end if you hit them from any direction, and the same applies to Dangerous Driving.

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

drat, the cars look too fast, too nimble. And then I find it's on the Epic store. Eh.
There is no such thing as "too fast" in Burnout. :getin: The handling is definitely more sensitive than the previous games (I dialed the sensitivity down a couple of notches, which helped make the cars less twitchy), although this time there are also actual differences between the various models in each car class so some of them are much heavier and have a ton of understeer whereas others are light and nimble.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Apr 9, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

SiKboy posted:

Do me a favour, remind me of the mechanics/timing? Burnout 3 was a lot of years ago now...
Press down the brake trigger during the countdown, then hold down the accelerator as you release the brake. Your tires should start smoking at this point. Then when the countdown hits 1, release the accelerator and immediately press it back down. It's not the most intuitive thing in the world, but once you figure it out you'll be able to nail it pretty much every time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

John Murdoch posted:

All you get for finding everything is an extra 10 seconds tacked onto the ending. It's absolutely not worth it because it's a confusing tease for some future thing that may or may not even happen.
I couldn't get any ending in Arkham Knight until I collected all of Riddler's stupid junk. Like, I literally did not get the option to activate the Knightfall protocol when it was supposed to become available, and then it popped up the instant I finished all of Riddler's bullshit. I know now that this was a glitch and not how it went for most people, but it definitely was a thing that could happen if the game decided to hate you for some reason.

Should've just youtubed the ending and saved myself the trouble, to be honest. In retrospect, Arkham Knight is easily my least favorite game in the series.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

RagnarokAngel posted:

And the inverse I like how the metal ones have eyes that emote while the cloth ones don't. They put an absurd amount of love into those costumes and it felt like a throwback to when games included them and didn't sell them for 2.99 a piece :(
The alternate costumes in the game and all of the detail put into them also did a pretty good job shutting up those idiots who were whining about visual downgrades leading up to the game's launch. ":byodood: The suit isn't as shiny as in the trailer because the PS4 couldn't handle it!!1"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Cleretic posted:

Apparently Interplay got back the rights to Freespace at some point (and also still exist, which surprised me). But the last I can find out about it is that they put all their IPs up for sale in 2016. I can't find out who bought them, if anybody, which is a depressingly quiet end to that story.
Yeah, Interplay still technically exists but all the talented developers left shortly after the company was bought by Titus Software (of Superman 64 fame) in the early 00s. Titus went bankrupt in 2005, but Herve Caen is still bumbling around as the CEO of Interplay and... yeah, that's about it. They haven't done anything in about 15 years.

Freespace itself was developed by Volition, who are currently with Deep Silver.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Mierenneuker posted:

I fell down once and went “okay, is there a button combination to reset to the starting menu?”

Lemme pour a forty for all the folks who never realized that was possible. I just know there are people that fell down multiple times and who did it all over again. They might have quit the game right there.
Yeah... on my first playthrough of Shenmue II, I didn't realize you could save the game anywhere you wanted. I'd always just save in Ryo's hotel room (or wherever he was staying) each night.

The Ghost Hall Building was an experience, I'll say that much. The main reason the Xbox didn't fly out of the window (aside from the fact it was an original Xbox and would probably kill someone if it landed on them) is that it was my friend's Xbox I was borrowing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

edit: gently caress, I misread and this doesn't count. :downs:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Cleretic posted:

How do shooters even POSSIBLY work since we haven't even invented a second analog stick yet?
GoldenEye and Perfect Dark have a control option that puts movement on d-pad and aiming on the stick, which no one ever used back in the day because it looked weird as poo poo (the same option also lets you use the C buttons for movement, like Turok) but is now easily the most playable control scheme available in those games on original hardware. It might seem like it'd be annoying to use the face buttons to interact with stuff and change/reload weapons when using that scheme, but the thumb movement from the stick to the buttons really isn't bad at all.

GoldenEye and Perfect Dark both also have the dual controller options so you could use two sticks, but the problem with that at least in GoldenEye is that Rare just mapped the functions from the C buttons to the right stick so you use the right stick to aim up/down and strafe. The left stick is used for moving forward/back and turning left/right, just like it is in the default control scheme and it's completely horrible.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Feb 27, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

grittyreboot posted:

When you pull a cacodemon's eye out it makes a popping sound like you just uncorked a wine bottle
When you punch a zombieman's head into their chest cavity, it apparently makes a faint squeaky toy sound. I never noticed that because I'm always too busy laughing at the stupid :saddowns: face they make during that animation.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Cleretic posted:

I remember Mass Effect 1 hit me really bad on this one; I struggled to make a character that looked good, because I had to make a character before I knew any of how the game controlled or looked, how I'd be looking at her.
Nobody has ever been able to create a character that looks remotely decent in the Mass Effect 1 opening scene. It's completely impossible.

Even if your Shep looks normal in every other scene and you manage not to make them look like the get out frog, they'll still look like a weird mutant in the opening. Every single time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Alhazred posted:

I really like it when enemies react to your behavior. Like sometimes in FO3 raiders will surrender because they realize that they can't win.
Don't they just sit there for two seconds and then start attacking you again, or is that only in Skyrim?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For another example, one of the helmet types you can find is circlets. Their gimmick is that each one lets you absorb a particular damage type and heal from it, for example the Topaz Circlet lets you heal from lightning damage. And the Cat-Eye Circlet lets you heal from "cat damage". What the hell is cat damage? Well, there's a witch enemy in one part of the game which, when "killed", transforms into an invincible cat that runs away from you (and poofs out when it hits a wall). If you manage to maneuver yourself to touch the cat, you'll take some trivial amount of damage...unless you're wearing the Cat-Eye Circlet, in which case you get a full heal instead.
Those witches throw cats as well, so the Cat-Eye Circlet is totally useful! :radcat:

Yet another example from SotN is the Holy Symbol, which is a well-hidden item that lets Alucard move through water without taking damage (dude's got vampire blood in him, after all). When you finally find this most hallowed of relics, it turns out to be a snorkel.

Symphony of the Night owns and I regret not playing it until last week.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a way to play on PC?
Not officially, but it should run fine on a PlayStation emulator.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

exquisite tea posted:

It's deeply amusing to me that Mortal loving Kombat lore has somehow become so complex and convoluted that every new story chapter in MK11 has to begin with Raiden or Shang Tsung expositing exactly what is happening.
The MK lore has been a giant mess for decades, they just didn't really get into it until the story modes became a thing. Hell, the whole point of the MK9 story mode was to reboot the continuity because it had gotten too stupid and convoluted.

Somewhere, Ed Boon's holding an amulet that becomes more and more cracked every time new MK story content is released.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I love how NRS consistently doesn’t care about that kind of stuff. When they updated the costume design to get rid of the whole “titty ninja” thing a bunch of Twitter nerds got mad (one even complained about NRS trying to kill off “boner culture”) and Ed Boon’s response was basically “lol, deal with it, nerds”. For a studio that was basically founded on being edgy as all hell they’re actually pretty progressive.
The original MK costume designs were also quite practical because, well, they kinda had to be because real people would have to wear them while jumping around and performing martial arts moves. The designs really started getting out of hand when the PS2 MK games rolled around.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Of course, it'd also be nice if Netherrealm Studios treated their actual employees with respect instead of (allegedly) forcing them to work under awful conditions including horrible crunch during development, sexual harassment, and making their artists look at videos and pictures of real gore until they get loving PTSD.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Jun 2, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I like how the ghost stance in Ghost of Tsushima can also be used in standoffs.

The prompt only pops up after you kill the first guy, but you can actually hit the buttons during the initial staredown and go directly into ghost stance, cancelling the standoff. This means you can yell "FIGHT ME YOU COWARDS" and pretend to do the whole honorable sword fight thing, only to suddenly go apeshit and charge at everyone while screaming.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Lobok posted:

It's not any less honourable to strike first! He just lets the other guy go first to shock and awe the rest of them. Instead of stand-off it could also be called show-off.
Hm, that makes sense. I automatically thought of the ghost stance as dishonorable because terror isn't the samurai way, but it's not Jin's fault these Mongols and other goobers poo poo their pants when a crazy man wearing a monkey mask, a giant straw hat and a fundoshi charges at them while screaming bloody murder the entire time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Shai-Hulud posted:

You guys know you can get all them Spider-Men on PS4 right? Yeah you won't have ray tracing and the load times will be pretty rough
The load times in Spider-Miles are actually really quick on the PS4! On my PS4 Pro with the stock HDD, it takes about 15 seconds from the main menu to gameplay, and 2-3 seconds when you fast travel or load a checkpoint. I was super impressed when I saw this, because the original game had some pretty lengthy load screens at times.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Lobok posted:

This game definitely throws more stuff at you than the first one in the average encounter. Like I'm playing a side mission right now and I'm getting multiple simultaneous rockets fired at me whereas there was a strict one rocket at a time policy in the first game.
It gets a bit silly in the later parts of the game, because by that point you can't even stop a jewelry store holdup without six dudes showing up with rocket launchers. They're very serious about their work.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

CJacobs posted:

One of my favorite video game gags ever is that boss fight in the PS2 Spider-Man game where Mysterio robs a convenience store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wPNYJNMYE&t=26s
I really wish the new games had something like this as a random crime event instead of always making you fight twenty guys.

As much as I like the Miles game, the street crime stuff gets super repetitive because the random crimes seem to happen every 30 seconds and there's no way to make them stop spawning even temporarily like in the original. It'd be nice if some of those crimes were just one or two muggers or maybe Shocker trying to rob a convenience store.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Cleretic posted:

FFVIII's recent remaster is actually the old PC port under a massive pile of x86 commands because they lost the original source code.
They somehow failed to replace one of the lovely MIDI music tracks from the PC version. Well, they do replace it the first time it plays early in the game so you hear the proper version, but when it plays again on (what would be) Disc 2 you hear the crappy MIDI instead and it's super jarring.

This might have been patched since launch.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

REmake is pretty much The True Resident Evil Experience. The only thing lost in the transition was this masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q
Sadly, this wonderful piece of video game music only appeared in one version of the PS1 game. The previous PS1 releases (and the Saturn and PC ports) used the original music, which sounds considerably less like farting clowns and actually fits a horror game.

Capcom hired famous deaf composer Mamoru Samuragochi to create a new soundtrack (i.e. have his assistant create it and take credit for it because he was a huge fraud who faked both his deafness and his musical talent) for the DualShock version, and this is what we ended up with. The guy who actually wrote Samuragochi's compositions is genuinely talented and most of the other tracks in the DualShock version are decent despite some weird instrument choices, so I have no idea what happened here.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Jan 19, 2021

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

CJacobs posted:

edit: I'm curious to know what it'd sound like coming out of a CRT and being read and played by an actual PS1.
I got the DualShock version a couple of years ago and played it on an actual PSone hooked up to a CRT. The basement music sounds every bit as wonderful on original hardware.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

rydiafan posted:

One theory is that they just hosed up and selected the wrong instrument. Here's what it sounds like it you replace the trumpet with something else.

https://youtu.be/9oByTUQjCFg
I've heard that theory before but never listened to the track with the trumpet replaced. This... actually sounds really cool and creepy. Huh.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I quite liked driving around in the Batmobile and non-lethally running over people at 180 mph, but all the shooty tank bits were just miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can only acquire the Excalibur 2 by pressing on a hidden spot in the final dungeon, provided you reached the place in under 12 hours. This game takes 40 hours to beat.
The PAL release of FFIX is one of those :effort: ones where both the frame rate and the actual game speed are 17% slower, so getting to the final dungeon in 12 hours is... I don't remember if it's actually impossible or just practically impossible.

Playing FFIX in slow motion isn't ideal in general but on the plus side, it's a lot easier to impress the nobles in that sword fight minigame!