Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5s81NRdQE

Don't know why this came into my head because I haven't played for like 8 years, but this has to take the cake as some of the best unit VA stuff in any game. I really do adore the absurd melodramatics of W40K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

quote:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

Best guess.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I'm completely incapable of doing the evil route in video games. I just get such a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and I've never managed to finish one. This is not me mugging at the camera over how virtuous I am, this is me pointing out how broke brained I am that I feel bad for pixels to the point where I physically can't do a thing.

One of the absolute best decisions they made for the ME series, especially for 2-3 was to even slightly step away from the extremely dumb saccharine good/pantomime villain binary that plagues AAA RPGs. I'm also in the shoes where I pretty rarely ever take the bad guy option, but it isn't helped by the absurdity of games where they offer subtle choices like: save the younglings or slaughter the younglings.

Many Renegade options in the ME games were fun and understandable decisions in the context of the situation/character, rather than "what is the most evil thing possible I could do"? Having a narrative and an established character setup prevents the absurd see-sawing you can do in games where you are handed a blank slate, and to me that is better design.

I still don't think I've played a game where there is an obvious morality system that is implemented ideally. Maybe it exists, but in my head it would make a lot more sense for the best rewards and other goodies to be gated behind evil decisions specifically to make them more comprehensibly moral dilemmas. My experience is that most games actually reward you more for being a goody two-shoes, refusing payment blah blah when it should really be the opposite, and hamstring you.

They probably don't do that because it would seriously incense the most poisonous subset of gamers, but still. Maybe transparent morality systems are a totally outdated concept and they should all be Witcher-esque actions and consequences without any tally that unlocks options further down the line, because that's far more organic and immersive. But even if that's the case, I'd still say ME's system was a pretty good compromise with compelling reasons to choose both sides (sometimes).

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Neuronyx posted:

It's funny because somebody would only need to play at least two FPS games in their life to recognize how not generic looking R6 is.

On their post history all I could see was the word Final Fantasy Megathread scrolling infinitely, so potentially they just don't play any FPS games. I guess every FPS would look generic except maybe Overwatch because of cheerful palette and cartoon-town vibe.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Apparently I really just like voice act-y stuff in Warhammer IP, but the faction leaders in the diplomacy screen in TW: Warhammer 2 are extremely dope. It's really a tiny thing, but it's great flavour and almost every single one is done well.

"Approach my bulk, pitiful warmblood."

Sadly I can't find any clips of them on YT.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I tend not to look to the goonmind for game reviews so I'm not really aware of the consensus, but for me FO4 was OK. It was exactly what I expected, perhaps a slight improvement on what I expected, which was just a reskinned FO3.

It was an objectively better game than FO3, but then it was so many years later and achieves nothing worthwhile extra, so you could even say it's worse contextually. Eventually I just get tired of playing, same as Oblivion and Skyrim and just give up halfway through the main quest due to the gameplay becoming staid, and the writing/story ranging from boring to cringeworthy.

Comparatively, I was a practical completionist around New Vegas, so really it just shows you how incompetent Bethesda are. It's amazing to me that they can have so much money and put so much effort into making these gigantic open worlds, stuffed with detail and love, and then tie the whole thing together with the most drab and mediocre quest lines and narratives. You'd think after however many years they'd be able to afford to hire even a single talented writer, but apparently not.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

It's just the usual where people get a lot angrier at wasted potential than abject failures. Honestly, if they were just dreadful, they would die off or people wouldn't harp on about it. Instead, people play a game that is half-good half-bad and can't stop obsessing about how much better it could be.

I'm exactly as guilty of it. Personally, I really was not happy after playing Deus Ex: HR despite the fact that in some ways it was a great game and extremely well polished because I hated the way that choices were irrelevant and massively over-sold pre-release, and that the game railroaded you into playing sneaky/hacky types by giving you something ludicrous like triple or more XP for playing that way.

Then you find out that half the skills are useless anyway, so there was no need to remotely min-max it. Then the ending is just offensively bad, much worse than ME3's even. Welp.

As much fun as it is to talk about poo poo that sucks in games, there's lots of threads for that. I've recently been on a kick playing some of the Endless games, specifically Legends and ES2. I really love the creativity in their games. Each playable faction in their games is pretty much genuinely interesting in their own right, with unique playstyles or at least many unique gimmicks. That plus the way that there is so much flexibility and freedom and variance in each start means they have much more replay value for me than a normal 4x game.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I mean, for a game I thought was an abject failure, albeit ambitious, there's lots of little great things in Far Cry 2. For one, the Jackal Tapes are one of the best and most listenable audio logs in any game, period.

For a second, the hyper-aggro AI would just slaughter themselves in their frenzy to kill you by driving off cliffs and bridges to get you. It was full of unintentional hilarity.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Pretty sure I've posted it before, but everything in Dark Messiah. If Skyrim had even a fraction of the fun of this game's combat, it'd actually be a good game. gently caress I might just replay it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7T9tJiw6AU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Remember when Bethesda bought Arkane and everyone was excited because we thought Skyrim would have Dark Messiah combat

Biggest blueball of my entire life. Somebody bigged it up to me beforehand, that they were doing the combat, that there'd be a kick. Still hurts man.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I know if I loving buy Tyranny and like it, I'll be forced to kowtow and buy PoE2 after not liking PoE on the off-chance it's good this time and just get slapped in the face by life. Stop selling me this game!!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

rydiafan posted:

So Gwent players got some codes via email yesterday.

GOGGWENT75 gets you a bunch of games, including Tyranny, for 75% off.
GOGGWENT50 has a bunch of other games, like Pyre, for 50%.

Edit: here's links to make it easier:
https://www.gog.com/redeem/GOGGWENT50
https://www.gog.com/redeem/GOGGWENT75

*sighs and unzips wallet*

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Well, PoE sceptics hit this thread up after being lab rats for PoE2 please.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Look at all those sweet cyborg people. I made all my soldiers look like a variety of immersion breaking middle-aged Dads, but I regret nothing.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

This one time, there was a fetch quest in a video game that took half an hour. If this still psychologically wounds you 15 years later, may I just say I’m jealous of your life.

Do you not collect tiny grievances against videogames? That gradually calcify into tiny grudges that last a lifetime?

It's time to start living, Olaf.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I liked Ravel and Kreia but then i realized its pretty much what he always does.

Durance in PoE has a similar sort of nihilistic philosophy that gets grating because he just kinda dumps a whole ton of TEXT on you with EMPHASIS and all the dialogue options just kinda make your PC seem like a dullard so he can ramble some more about how you don't UNDERSTAND.

And yet the characters he writes are still almost always the only competently written ones in a game either way.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Tbqh i found Eder a more engaging character because his conflict of trying to be a good Eothasian while having personal issues with the religion felt like a more realistic, competently written dilemma.

I didn't get far enough to give a fair opinion, but I found the entire cast I encountered pretty dull except Durance and *googles* Kana. Like, nobody was straight up badly written. But the general cast was neither interesting nor engaging for me.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I liked all the companions in new vegas and I think he only really had involvement in Ulysses and some of the DLC characters.

Yeah I overplayed that statement, but in general games where he is involved in, I find his noticeably stands out. Several times in games, without prior knowledge, I've noticed something/someone in a game is especially well-written and lo-and-behold when I look it up, Avellone had some part of it. Alpha Protocol, Prey, even recently Into the Breach.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Sims is not some true-to-life simulation, dude. They just took the phrase “died from embarrassment” and made it literal in-game.

The Sims is played with real people.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Why? Does Battle Bros prevent savescumming somehow?

You can't save during battles so whatever happens, happens. But you can still reload before the fight begins if it's not on Ironman.

Basically, I can see how it could slowly inure a person to losses and help overcome any OCD tendency to re-roll every piece of bad luck in XCOM. In a tough battle in BB, some losses are nigh on inevitable and you kinda have to accept them. There's no guarantee if you restart that 15 minute battle that you'll actually get a better outcome. Not to mention the terrain changes every time you load the fight.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Everyone describes Doomguy as... a guy. I'm starting to get really tired of the "This obviously male character might be a woman in your headcanon because you never see their face!" line of defense.

I just don't see a reason to buy a game where your protagonist's gender doesn't matter but all the same you're forced to play a guy. It's 2018 for gently caress's sake.

lol

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

all that time spent being afraid to fill the shoes of a male player character when you should have been afraid instead of filling the shoes of a whiny pissant teenager

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I got a physical copy of the original in the UK back in 2005. If I remember it barely made it to any shelves in the UK, but I got the (only) copy from a little independent games store that imported lots of their stuff from the USA to get it earlier.

Still one of my favourite games. Milkman level is probably one of the best levels in gaming, and it was pretty mind-blowing back then. I also never completed it. I got to the Meat Circus and couldn't do it and eventually gave up. I was a pretty dogged at games back then so that says a lot.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Vic posted:

The original Deus Ex gives you XP for two things: Story progress and exploration. Also the skill system and the aug system is separate.

This makes a big difference in how you approach the game. In the newer games, the objectively best approach is to do stealth, nonlethal and never seen approach. This rewards you with the most XP and there are achievements for this too. It's also the hardest way of doing stuff so it makes sense they'd reward it the most. But it misses the point of why I replayed the original so many times.

The original was all about that exploration, and due to hardware limitations they could spend more time on making the levels complex and full of nooks and crannies, rather than spending so much time on making the levels believable and realistic. There are just so many neat things the game doesn't tell you about. Also the enemies are blind and braindead which gives you more opportunities to gently caress around and have fun. I'd sneak into Area 51 by throwing candy bars around on the hardest difficulty. Of course that would take many quickloads because you can get bodied from across the map with one shot once spotted.

It's really a product of it's time that you'd have a hard time selling nowadays outside the indie market, and that makes it so much more valuable and replayable to me. There's so much emergent gameplay in there while the later DX games are much more curated experiences.

Not really the thread for it, but Deus Ex: HR was an amazingly polished turd.

They seriously did not understand what made the original cool, or what 'choice' in a game actually entails. The game is literally all about passively funnelling you into a stealthy non-lethal route, gatekeeping all the abilities, both combat and exploration, behind XP unlocks.

Then you realise about 2/3 through that most skills are loving useless, there was no need to min-max remotely, then you get to the end and every choice was loving pointless, nothing makes an interesting difference at any stage. And the ending itself is like straight out of a parody. If any game that year should have had the ME3 ending controversy, it should have been Deus Ex: HR.

Heard they made some better content for it, but I was left with such a sour taste from the main game that I didn't bother.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The radio in Sleeping Dogs was also one of the dopest.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Len posted:

Look I fell for the goon "it gets good once you slog through 2.x" and I'm trying to save others the same fate.

hey pal, you've been here long enough to know: trust zero goon recommendations relating to any game genre except roguelikes

that goes double for anything MMO, Blizzard or JRPG related

the oldest lie in MMOs is "it gets better by X", which is standard MMO friend/guild gaslighting for you to stick around until you're in too deep

little thing: music in Return of the Obra Dinn is just so good, and the way it acts as a narrative marker is kinda inspired. almost disgusting that the dev did everything but the voice acting himself.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I've barely encountered games with quick time events, it's more of a console exclusive thing I feel. But I remember in Mirror's Edge not noticing the colour sensitive quicktime cue in a cutscene like 4 times in a row because I have pudding brain. I harbour a vague distrust of them ever since the final boss of Space Marine was an extremely dumb sequence of QTEs after a whole game of fun stompy shooting. The hell was that about.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

ngl, on-topic or not this stuff is creeping me out some

The decision point in Witcher 2 between Iorveth and Roche was the first time in a game where a decision really stumped me. It was probably the most consequential and difficult choice presented in a game up until that point, altering your entire trajectory and narrative from that point forward. Not only that, but it wasn't some cheap shot ONE MUST LIVE AND ONE MUST DIE moment. It's genuine moral quandary with serious merits to both sides, and you can sympathise with both characters. It helps that the voice acting for both is among the best ever in a game, which is funny because all the non-main characters in Witcher 2 are obnoxiously and jarringly Welsh and they obviously blew their voice acting budget on just a few key characters.

Honestly a seriously underrated game if only because it lives in the shadow of its successor, which is overall just an even better and more ambitious game. Even now I'm not sure any game has handled choice better than Witcher 2, but obviously it had the luxury of being a linear(ish) narrative and a lot of bigger titles these days aren't.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I noticed that. Probably a mistake/bug. Creepy.

I wonder are there games where the very UI deliberately gaslights the player? Small changes that amount over time fwith the intent to unsettle the player.

Wouldn't call it 'gaslighting' per se, but the original B&W and its sequel used to have a gimmick whereby when a villager died, a creepy voice would whisper Deathhhhh.

But through some kind of dubiously legal privacy breach, the game could also scrape your name from your PC. Possibly Windows registration or whatever. If that name appeared on a list of pre-prepared names, very very rarely (i.e. once in a playthrough), it would whisper your name instead.

Needless to say this freaked my brother out bigtime. And the internet confirms that it was real, and not just some gaming urban legend.

Hell of investment for a throwaway scare. But all the more of a cool little thing in a game.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

Halo seemed so totally crazy at the time, like a guy I sat next to in a computer-oriented class failed out of it because he spent all class period every class watching physics videos of people playing with explosives and the Warthog, trying to blast it up on top of cliffs and stuff. That level of physics in an action game was really cool way back in the day.

I remember very fondly a time when ragdoll physics was really gaining traction in gaming, and I think it was Unreal Tournament 2003 or 4 where there was this...deathball kind of game where you had to dunk a ball through a hoop. Dystopian future basketball essentially. And a lot of the levels had absurdly deep pits full of metal bars in them around the goals, so when you scored (you died instantly after scoring iirc) your ragdoll corpse would bounce limply down the hole from bar to bar making hilariously OTT sickening bone crunching noises for a solid 30 seconds.

Truly a great little thing in a game.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

There has to be a better place to thrash out the grimy details of pedo/rape camps in various IPs than the "PYF little things in games" thread. C'mon.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I've been playing the game Loop Hero. It is a rogue-like where you don't have direct control over the hero but instead you manage the world around them as they follow a looped path. As the hero defeats enemies they drop tiles that you can place on the world for varying effects. One of the tiles is an old battlefield which at the start of every loop spawns a treasure chest but any enemies you fight in its area of influence have a chance to turn into ghosts when they die. One time I was fighting an enemy and it turned into a ghost, then when I killed the ghost it turned into a ghost of a ghost (which had a different sprite than a regular ghost.)

Wait till you see the ghost that comes out of the ghost of a ghost (unironically).

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I see you and raise you Yennefer and Geralt which is cheating because they already have history

Yeah, it's probably the only halfway believable romance in a game I've played. Witcher 3 gets touted for being amazing for a lot of reasons, but the transcreation/adaptation writing teams (at least for English, no idea elsewhere) did an incredible job. You'd never know it wasn't written from the ground up in English, honestly. And the voicework helps to nail it, too.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Witcher 3 has been on my list forever, and I'm a sucker for romance stuff so this definitely intrigues me. I just can't get into the combat at all, it feels so clunky whenever I've tried to play it

Maybe the remaster will make it feel a little smoother, or I guess I could just stick it on the easiest difficulty and steamroll my way through the game

Yeah, the combat isn't going to wow anyone. It's functional at best, but still, you get into the swing of it as you play and can tailor how you go about it (i.e. less about swords if you find the swordplay too clunky, you can lean into the magic system etc.). I agree with rydiafan that there's little to be lost if you just tune the difficulty down. You can always turn it up again should you decide you want more of a challenge.

In general though, the abiding impressions games leave mostly doesn't revolve around the mechanics (at least, in RPGs) but rather the experiences, the world and the story. The original Fallouts and Infinity Engine games like Planescape play like clunky garbage now but are still remembered rightly as being great because of everything else.

There's no question in my mind at least that W3 is in the pantheon of the greatest games ever written. And combined with the over-arching worldbuilding, the characters and the sheer level of detail, one of the greatest games in general. Maybe just flat-out the best, which is part and parcel why the expectations for Cyberpunk were into the stratosphere.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Also it's not like there was better back then. They were (mostly) improvements upon earlier systems.

Yeah, of course. Everything has been iterated a thousand times since, budgets and teams are bigger, the enabling technology is infinitely more advanced - both in terms of ease of design and for the end-user. In 20-30 years time, the gameplay of the cutting edge modern games of today will undoubtedly seem archaic and clunky in retrospect.

The games that people will remember are the ones with a narrative or aesthetic core that shines despite the gameplay, not because of it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

packetmantis posted:

PYF little things in games: Cool rock added!

nice rock

for a clown

to take to the circus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Many of the quests in the Witcher 3 could be navigated more effectively if you read in-world materials and your encyclopedia. It was probably the most elegant implementation of that kind of system I've seen in game -- it didn't force you into reading reams of stuff to succeed, but it rewarded you for doing a little bit of detective work.