Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My favorite part of the game is tinkering with ship layouts and crew assignments.

"So you're a dumbass thug who jumped me at a pub and tried to steal my poo poo, then begged to join my crew afterwards? Let's find a job for you. How about...ship accountant?" :v:

It's also cool that (really, really early-game spoiler) the first damsel-in-distress you save actually joins the crew instead of just hanging out on the ship. In fact, she has a couple of good skills that activate based on what job you give her.

It's a fun game, but can be tough sometimes, especially if you've botched crew assignments or picked the wrong layout/parts.

Or didn't listen to bar rumours and go left or right instead of straight through the wall, its difficulty stems from weird places sometimes.

For my part, I love how engrossing the game is despite it being presented on a small DS screens and having only those tinny speakers for sound. My favourite moment will always be the one in which the actual size of the opposition to the Elgavan forces is revealed - they just drop a number, but it really works, especially after the Elgavans proudly announcing how many ships they've managed to scrounge up and how massive a force that is. (spoilers up to the end of the first part).

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Earth Defence Force 2017 Portable: the NPC soldiers have short voice clips that seem to play randomly without any rhyme or reason, although some should be clearly contextual. What this means is that any voice clip can be followed by whichever one, so, for example, you often get exchanges which are not actually exchanges, like: "The captain's dead!"-"It was my bullet that killed him!", "The rookie's dead!"-"Yeah, you're welcome!" or "Reloading."-"I can't do that right now!" and the like. It's really bizarre and funny at the same time.

Sadly, the online multiplayer seems to be dead and coupled with very grindy trophy requirements the Platinum is impossible to obtain. Oh well, killing giant spiders is its own reward.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A stupid thing, but when I noticed it it made me smile: in Dissidia, in each of the scenarios for a character from Final Fantasies I to X you can find a chest containing an amount of gil corresponding to the that character's game's year of release. It would probably be just a weird random number to people not familiar with the series, but Dissidia devs knew their audience.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

If this SMT guy is scripted to one-shot you as a panic attack, what's stopping him from using it when he gets low on health?

If you want to have some lore excuse, it's more of an :effort: attack, really - he can't be bothered to cycle through your invulnerabilities, so he uses the attack that's can't be voided.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Playing an early copy of Citizens of Earth, a top-down, turn-based RPG. I noticed very quickly how similar it looked in gameplay to Earthbound, but when I found a police bulletin that warned of "a spiteful youth with a baseball bat, beating up crows", I knew that the similarities were intentional in some way.

What I love is that they kept one of the best parts of Earthbound in this game: not only will enemies run from you if you're significantly stronger, but getting into fights that are very outmatched in your favour will instantly defeat the enemy and give you exp (and items) without having to actually get into battle. From what I know this is the only game other than Earthbound (or I guess the Mother series) that does this, and it baffles my mind as to why this is the case.

There are a few games I know of that copied that idea half-way, e.g. Suikoden with its "Let go" option, Persona 3 with its enemies running away (but you'd still have a fight if you ran into them), Dragon Quest VIII with its "Intimidate" (and Holy Water for most of the series, negating random encounters with monsters of lower levels), but none that I've played that uses the idea outright, which is really weird, because it's a good system and games to copy those often. I guess it'd cut down on grinding too much.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Now that I've complained about The Witcher 3 in every thread I could, I think I need to point out some positives:
- let's get the obvious out of the way - the game is really pretty, characters are detailed and every weapon and piece of armour has its own model that displays on Geralt (it is too bad that there are very few non-story related NPCs models, so you'll end up seeing clones very quickly)
- although sometimes the bit of post facto narration doesn't seem necessary, I like how non-momentous your decisions are: they are mostly on the personal level - you might decide how you'd like for the situation to unfold, but in the end you're unimportant and the most you can influence is the situation of yourself and your immediate family/friends
- although it can be wonky, the quest having levels assigned to them mean I know what I can reasonably finish now and if it's still in the immediate level range for the purposes of XP gain.
- I've defeated both Olaf of Skellige and Master of Masters and although that was hardly a fair fight (it's a good thing the toxicity effects are only cosmetic, or else the villagers might suspect I'm juicing) and those were good fights
- there are a lot of options to sidestep the combat system's shortcomings, but my favourite is using the alternate Quen sign (enemies fight for you) which doesn't break if the enemy is attacked and whacking the enemy, ten swings and repeat - no matter how strong the enemy, as long as I can Quen it it will die, too bad it doesn't always work.

Edit: Axii, not Quen, though Quen is good, too.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jun 22, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, right, although Quen and the alternate Quen does removes most of the need for healing, so they're really useful as well.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Jun 23, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Exit Strategy posted:

Awgh. You've just reminded me of my favorite little part of Ground Zeroes. Not favorite because they make me feel good, either. Favorite because it shows that no matter how many problems Big Boss causes, he will still be better than the men who kidnapped said child soldier.

XOF bolted Chico's ankles to keep him immobile. gently caress people who would do that.

V-bomb

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A great little thing in PE 2 is the cinematic near the end of the game, in which human soldiers obliterate a squadron of Pawn Golems through use of superior tactics and equipment - the beginning of the scene has all of the markings of a Resident Evil scene, with close quarters enemies against gun using soldiers, and then surprise. I love this scene.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

graybook posted:

After seeing praise for that series here, I think I'm intrigued enough to pick it up next time I see it on sale. Is 4 an acceptable jumping-on point?

Each game gets more elaborate and brings more incremental improvements, so I'd say WotS 4 would be the best jumping-on point. It's also the most perverted, though, but generally you can skip this content.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Red is Dead posted:

FFXV

Prompto has the best lines, either when he's singing "I want to ride my chocobo all day" or The final fantasy X (memory is shady on that) victory theme whenever they successfully come out of a fight.

I'm only on chapter 7 or so, so I hope nothing happens to that little blonde-haired-poor-boy-done-good.

Also a few songs use bits of Crystal Theme and it's just wonderful hearing and recognizing those few notes

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I think it's the only example of getting money mid-fight instead of after they're dead. That Scott Pilgrim game and No More Heroes had them all explode money after they were dead, and you'd generally get cash after beating a monster in an RPG, but I think this is the only example I can think of for cash throughout combat.

Silhouette Mirage had that the main source of income, and every grabbable Enemy had their pockets punched out.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I never managed to finish it because it's attributes system is some lovecraftian horror poo poo, but I always appreciated how the villains in Vagrant Story are absolutely making GBS threads themselves in terror everytime you beat one of the bosses. I think at one time they summon an ancient dragon or wyvern of some sort and after you defeat it there's this cutscene where one of them is going "It wasn't supposed to turn out like this, you didn't tell me we were going against a goddamn titan!"

"Reinforcements?"
"I am the reinforcements."

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Assassin's Creed Oddyssey: Alexios' hair is very pretty, and also nicely adorned. I wish I had hair like that

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Zoig posted:

I have never seen them in a train like that and now have even more of a reason to stockpile the item that summons them

If you pet a sufficient amount of them (I think 30?) it opens up a mission in one of the regions that make you rescue Scampusses and they trail you indefinitely. It's one of my favourites, and it also shows their power - not only are they very good at Ki depletion, but their Anima restoration powers is multiplied, letting you use Yokai abilities with abandon.

They are cute and powerful :3

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Wasn't the language some kind of amalgamation of French, Japanese, Russian and others? As in, it would be some kind of a language of the future, coming from various cultures? It's still made up, but not completely.

Or was that a different game?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Borderlands 3: all NPC use generic name for your character ("Vault Hunter", "killer" etc.), but the enemies use more specific ones - I play as the character Moze, whose background is that she's a soldier with a mech; the enemies cry out to watch out for the soldier girl, gunner girl, be careful of the mech etc. It does make the whole experience much more personal.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Elder Lilies - the spirits you have equipped become corporeal after a while and hang around Lily:3

Also there's no fall damage of any kind, which is always welcome in a game - of any kind;)

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

Elder Lilies - the spirits you have equipped become corporeal after a while and hang around Lily:3

Also there's no fall damage of any kind, which is always welcome in a game - of any kind;)

The game's name is actually Ender Lilies - I don't know why I keep confusing it. However, two additional little things:
- you get traversal options by acquiring spirits - and in case of wall jumping/climbing, the spirit holds the MC while he's the one to actually claw into a wall:3
- there are spirits that run around (there's one for ground attacks and one using projectiles) who attack if there's an enemy nearby; what it means is that you can concievably just summon them and focus on dodging and they will slowly but surely defeat enemies by themselves. They're weaker than actively used spirits, but in exchange have much more charges of use, so it still ends up being more than a fair trade.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The Surge 2 (maybe also the first one, I didn't play that): you can check what the upgraded stat of a weapon will look like in the menu, without even having material to upgrade it. Since weapons share movesets, it's useful in knowing which one ends up stronger - the differences may be slight, but they are there and it's nice to know.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
People have beaten Elden Ring's bosses in a bunch of insane ways, including having two separate Malenia fights run at the same time and beating both - one on a controller, one on a gamepad dancepad. So I'd believe the voice commander did it as well :D

Sorry, dancepad :) or dancemat?

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 10:58 on Mar 17, 2023

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

A dancepad, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem the game has many flaws, bugs and UI is obviously meant for a mouse and keyboard with little thought given to a console player's UX. However, it also does many things right, and what I most like about the skills is that summoning skills are mostly passive, i.e., the creatures are being summoned simply by having a skill equipped, amd automatically. It also has shrines that let you summon a monster to fight alongside you - it makes no sense, but it's really fun.