Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The bit in Metal Gear Solid 2 where Pliskin feels a little faint is a perfectly authentic hypotension attack.

The gray-out makes your eyes sorta glaze over, a strong electric tingling passes up your spine and through your head, knocking out your sense of balance and making your ears buzz like static. You briefly lose motor control and go limp as the faint spell peaks out and passes a few seconds later. If it's not bad enough to actually knock you out, the most instinctive reaction is to gently break your fall by stumbling into a sitting position before you lose all control.

scamtank has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Metro: Last Light feels like it's constantly nudging you towards a stealthy approach, but it's really impressive when poo poo actually goes down and the alarm sounds. When you raise a ruckus in a Reich outpost, the moment when dudes in enormous riot armor come down an elevator and slooowly start advancing... the way their laser sights and headlamps sweep the darkness could be a 1-to-1 recreation from a movie.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

smuh posted:

That's actually a shortcut, but you have to aim your jump through the doorway pretty well. Also have to be ballsy since that jump looks preeetty intimidating the first time.

But it's an amazing trap before you catch wind of what it's actually for.

I just sort of let the YOU DIED burn into my retina before I realized what I'd just done.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

In Dwarf Fortress your fort can be attacked by a necromancer that will raise any corpses/body parts it find lying around. Civilian dwarves will get an unhappy thought for being attacked by anything, zombies included, but all dwarves will get a special unhappy thought if the zombie is their relative.

There are different and specific reactions to being assaulted by your dead pet, spouse, lover, sibling, parent, child, trained animal, friend and "a dead and still annoying acquaintance".

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

My favorite Uruk captain so far was Bishgūr the Brain Damaged. Too crazy to talk.

His pre-fight smack talk consisted of an intense concentration face, a dawning realization and rapid teeth-chattering.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

Gamebryo is also used in both Rocksmith games. Anyone who claims the issues with Elder Scrolls/Fallout games stem from the Gamebryo engine are just missing the point entirely.

Eh, it's a colloquial term. When we say that something is a "steaming pile of Gamebryo", everyone is on the same page. It'd be less unfair towards the developer if we said "steaming pile of Bethesda" instead, but them's the breaks.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

In Payday 2, they just released an update where you break out Old Hoxton from captivity.

Now, Old Hoxton was from Payday 1 until he was arrested. He was replaced by another dude in 2, and when you break Old Hox out, he'll constantly insult the new guy for taking his mask and codename.

When you get Old Hoxton as a playable character again, instead of referring to the new guy by his new codename of "Houston" when you're yelling at him to follow you or whatever, he'll call him stuff like "rear end in a top hat" or "twat" :appears:

"Is this your little bro'er, Dallas? Maybe we should call you Houston, 'cause WE'VE GOT A FOCKIN' PROBLEM"

Origi-Hox is also the most verbally abusive towards hostages. Everybody else is content to spout variations of stay down and don't move with the shout button, but Hox makes pointed threats.

No wonder that his new skill tree lets you carry extra body bags and kill civilians for a far lesser cash penalty.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Also the MI-24 "Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here?" Hind was unwittingly christened by Snake after the conversation turned to the weird new chopper looking like it was some kind of next-generation MI-17 Hip.

It really is the perfect game.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Everything about New Vegas makes me think they designed the game for the Fallout 2 engine first and then adapted it into a pile of Bethesda.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

My favorite gun-thing in the game is the Punisher, an FN Five-seveN. A factoid about the proprietary 5.7mm cartridge having such a blistering muzzle velocity that it defeats kevlar much better than usual was half-remembered into "it just punches through dudes and keeps going!!".

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It splintered into Lionhead and Mucky Foot, pretty much.

At least the good guys got their last hurrah in Startopia. Demis Hassabis, being Molyneux's apprentice, also put out some good in Republic and Evil Genius before they crumpled, too.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Icewind Dale II

Against all logic, that game is the closest thing to Planescape: Torment there is.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

In battlefield hardline there are alternate reload animations that will rarely play. They are incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHpyOgCkfAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIIqQW5WZV4

This is glorious oh my god. :allears:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

They did that in MW3, one of the deathstreaks was Dead Man's Hand. Kinda like last stand, but instead of falling down with your gun out, you fall down with a superpowered C4 pack on your chest and the clicker in your hand. It went off instantly if you were shot. The explosion was comparable to a Hellfire missile from a Predator drone.

And by the name of the Lord did the tryhards hate that.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

And if you try to skip the cutscene by pressing random buttons, you the "Skip" button guide tells you to push the purple J button.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

princecoo posted:

I have finished New Vegas 4 times, started it on new characters at least a dozen times, and I did not know this.

It so happens that the best places to cultivate this behavior is with the Powder Gangers near the start. Three dudes all priming sticks of dynamite? Shoot one from their hands and they all go off at once. The explosion is unholy.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh my goodness I just found the PAYDAY 2 XMas carol. :allears:

The helicopters 10-seconds-responding inside the bank lobby.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In Hotline Miami 2, some of the characters discuss getting from one building to another with one of them being unsure he could make it. The game takes away the option to choose who you play as, and the level progresses without any mention of unsure character. After beating the level, you find out he couldn't jump the gap, based on a large corpse outline.

The very last mission makes it pretty clear that it was The Son, who exterminated the Fans all across the building during his turbo-LSD spirit journey, finishing with Alex and Ash on the roof before stepping on the rainbow bridge to Valhalla. He was so hosed up that he never even saw the pavement coming.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Kalos posted:

In Topico 5 your second in command is named Penultimo.

Is his mugshot the same as in 4? His features and uniform are based on an Egyptian dictator.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Skyrim. All of the houses and shops in Windhelm's dark elf slum have Morrowind-style unanimated doors.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

pulp rag posted:

I need to fix my PC ASAP so I can finally get around to playing as him. My favorite little thing is that the dude uses a tape recorder to do shoutouts since he doesn't speak in Hotline Miami either.

[reviving player]
click zurzrwirfzp Please avoid operating heavy machinery while under the influence of painkillers! click zirsfzup

They partially missed the opportunity, I think. There was room for much more PSA/jingle/language tape/dictator speech patchwork, but most of the lines come from that one pleasant lady voice. The only times I can reliably hear the others are when I'm spotting guards (Ein Wachtmann!).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

And your previous you stashed some emergency supplies into one of the zombies, number 42 to be exact. Must have been some time ago, since one of the recent stiffs hauling around some ledgers is #1664. Of course, the right one is a skeleton by now, and doing the secret unlock (voice recognition, cross arms) flips its ribcage open like a saloon door where you can reach around (through a portal, of course) to pull out a rag bundle with a sharp knife, healing charms and some money in it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I think my favorite time when a past you helps you out is if you gently caress up and wind up getting banished to an inescapable maze, where you find a journal that a past version of yourself made out of his own flesh and wrote with in his own blood as he spent countless lifetimes figuring out the solution to escape.

...and since it was the paranoid fearful crazy killer one of the major three personalities that got near the answer (among all the other "incarnations" that your mind got shuffled into by dying a million times), of course the blood scribbles on the stretched human skin are just a ruse. The real journal is carved into the bone frames.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

I JUST found out that Skyrim has special cinematic kills for unarmed kills. Like a right hook into a back-breaker over your knee; or a suplex.

And there are just enough perks and options to make unarmed workable as your main fighting skill. Everything is new.

They were added in the big 1.4 patch. Since the natural claws get such a huge increase to base punching damage, the wiry ragged heroin addict can't-hold-up-in-a-real-fight catbeasts sort of accidentally turned into MMA fighters. When they can find the time from sleeper holding or neck twisting oblivious bandits, that is.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Nobunaga from Samurai Warriors 4 is a fun example of a completely evil character who is ostensibly based on an historical figure. Basically every other faction leader in the game is fighting for peace, because of an alliance, or to "bring about a new era" whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. Nobunaga on the other hand doesn't seem to have any believable motivation and iis just committing atrocities to tempt his subordinates to turn on him. I don't remember what he was like in previous Samurai Warriors games but Cao Cao, the Dynasty Warriors version of him is a lot more believable.

In 2 at least he was a cruel and detached "topple the old order" type with a plan, no qualms about the means and no intention to please anyone. Massacring villages was just efficient problem-solving.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Of course it had to be Space Station 13.

Daeren posted:

My finest moment of treachery was using a pre-nerf cloaker, a syndicate ID, and a voice changer to run around dragging a bathtub behind me and screaming things as THE PHANTOM OF THE BATHTUB. The tub itself was full of an instant death hell mix of chemicals because I, like most coders, was an absolute hellion with chemistry as a player. The charm came from the mix's effects - first, an invisible force grabbed someone and stuffed them in the tub. Then there was a scream of agony as acid melted the face of the victim. Then a loud, rapid-fire set of slapping noises from pepperoni. Lastly, a meaty eruption of gibs and a single fake mustache as the victim detonated into a volcano of gore. All these noises were overlaid in about a second's worth of time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

If you mortally wound someone in stealth, the first guy to notice runs up to help and tries to calm the poor guy down (it's fine, you're going to be fine!). When the victim eventually bleeds out, he stops to curse fate for a moment before calling in the casualty. :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Spend enough time with Snakedog and you can inexplicably change his fur color. Fox markings are one option.

Oh and since we're still doing this:

I need better words

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm not 100% sure, but I have a hunch that firstperson-staring at D-Dog in the command chopper makes him bark every so often as if to say WHAT

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Smelly posted:

There are a lot of posts about TPP so it may have already been posted but when you get the opportunity, steal one of the patrol trucks without the owner of it noticing. You get a pretty good radio conversation.

Spoilered for people who want to try it themselves:
Soldier: CP this is Zoya 1, my vehicle is missing. Please advise, over.

CP: Zoya 1, this is CP. There is no request for your vehicle, someone must have needed it. Finish your patrol on foot, out.

At this point you hear the soldier yell: SON OF A BITCH!

Also my emblem:

Try being suspicious with the cardboard box in a a low-moderate alert area sometime. It's a ride from start to finish.

Soldier: CP, this is Dimitri 4! I saw a cardboard box move! Over!
CP: Dimitri 4, this is CP. Knock it off. Over.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Do it a few more times and when they come over to investigate, abandon the box there. There's a much funnier radio conversation that can ensue if you've made them suspicious enough to shoot the now-empty box.

I just stowed the box back in hyperspace and hosed off in my sand camo while the confused guy turned around to use the stairs.

CP THERE WAS A WEIRD BOX HERE I SWEAR

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

FO4: Killed the really resilient big bad in a ghoul-infested school by blowing off its legs and siccing a medical protectron on the helpless bastard.

It took a solid 2 minutes of the doctorbot flailing its electrified defib fists at a legless zombie hollering CLEAR! CLEAR! CLEAR! CLEAR until I stopped laughing and hacked the robot to self-destruct instead.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Remember the Wicked Shipping Fleet Lockup? After some evidence of foul play in the manifest terminals, one of the side buildings has two skeletons slouched apart on the opposing sides of the room, one with a gas canister and one with a pistol. There's a holotape on the table of one of the business partners calling up the other for a heart-to-heart meeting about skipping town after one of their black deals went really bad.

It looks like they shot each other after a terrible argument... until you clamber on the roof where you find a third skeleton with a duffle bag full of money, lying right by a pair of holes in the roof. Seat yourself on the bones and peer down, the holes line up perfectly with the skeletons down below.

TontoCorazon posted:

So yeah fallout rules pretty hard

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

And Travis talks with that same text-to-speech whispering that introduced all of the bosses in the first No More Heroes. Neat.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

So a new Dwarf Fortress major release hit.

Elth posted:

Meet Gaval, the snowy owl man.

Gaval is kind of a hosed up individual.

Gaval tries to woo the bone doctor with the fantasy equivalent of drunken air guitar.

The woman is understandably unimpressed, so Gaval pecks her to death.

Gaval then runs into the nearby house and starts a spooky murder story...

Except, Gaval was phone was the murderer all along! The townsfolk were also unimpressed (and quite angry).

Of course, being a never-ending font of :spergin:, Gaval soon found himself arguing philosophy with a roaming goblin soldier.

The goblin, as it turns out, had more bite than bark. :haw:

BONUS: This is what my next character, a string instrument bard, spawned with. It weighs 31 pounds.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What happens to Dakkon? I just chatted philosophy with him all game

He's torn apart by the fact that an old incarnation of yours caught him at such a weak moment that he did the super-duper-haraam thing of his race and swore lifelong fealty to you for a rescue.

You can almost literally yank his chains.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

I've been playing through Company of Heroes again and the sound design is still one of the best I've ever heard.

My favorite part is all of the unit lines and the fact that after all this time Conrad still hasn't learned how to tie his laces :3:

I think the best one is when you make a British section garrison a church, specifically. "Let's see if Duffy bursts into flames."

Everything the snot-nosed Volksgrenadiers say is gold, too. "Dismount! Fire at anything! FIRE AT EVERYTHING!"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

So I just discovered you can hold down the right mouse button to swing your arm around while you have the pip boy up in Fallout 4.

Is there any reason for it to be there? It seems an awful lot of extra effort for something completely pointless.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dark Souls III indulges pyromaniacs.

The game doesn't tell you that you can set the wood pillars on fire and there's no real reason to, either. I was just hacking away at the furniture with my torch and I guess the game just went "duh what'd you think would happen you wisdom child"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I understand soul memory was to stop level-1 characters with high-level gear from going after low level players, but...can't they just use the souls used to level up and add it to the souls used to improve the gear you have equipped (with some modifiers for the cost of the materials used as well) as use that value range for multiplayer?

No the theme of despair isn't strong enough, every single soul lost by the player in a game that's about dying must be a permanent handicap against other players