Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

I love how much attention to detail Capcom paid when it came to acquiring voice actors for their many Versus games. For example, in the '90s versus games, Capcom got most of the voice actors from the X-Men animated series to reprise their roles as their respective characters. For Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, while they didn't get the '90s X-Men voice actors again, they did try to get VAs who had already portrayed the characters in the past, lending a nice feel of continuity to these awesomely silly versus games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

They went and got Ghost Rider's VA from his past Marvel cartoons, of which there were a grand total of two appearances according to Wikipedia. That's some deep cuts.

Hot drat! :allears: That guy was really awesome as Ghost Rider, so I can understand why they'd bring him back.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Orcs ain't dead unless you decapitate them/blow up their head, so The Mountain will eventually rise again.

And even that's not always enough. I ran into an orc named Gluk the Beheader, who I decapitated for maximum dramatic irony. Cue Gluk popping back up twenty minutes later with a massive set of scars along his head and neck. It reminded me of what I overheard some orcs saying once: "If that ranger cut my head off, I'd just keep fighting. Don't need a head to fight."

One thing I love about this game is how organically it generates stories. You do battle against an orc captain, and if you meet him again, he'll remember and be changed by it. If he killed you he might be a little cockier, if you killed him he'll be appropriately mangled based on the manner of death. It's all just so drat good.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Can we talk for a minute about how goddamn incredible Bayonetta 2 is? I just beat the game and unlocked the Samus costume, and that thing is a goldmine of awesome little things- the morph ball, Samus' laser cannon replacing Bayonetta's pistols, even the way Bayonetta jumps and double jumps is changed as a nod to Samus.
:sparkles:Bayonetta 2 really is the best.:sparkles:

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

My favorite is Mega Man X4 having all its villains be named after members of Guns N' Roses.

That's :megaman:Mega Man X5:megaman:, you plebian cur!

To contribute: my favorite little thing in Bloodborne are all the puddles left behind from players killing themselves by jumping repeatedly off of a somewhat high ledge in Hunter's Dream, the only safe area in the game. It's just puddle after puddle after puddle of dead goofballs.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

khwarezm posted:

In Metal Gear Revengeance I like it when I cut guys in half and cool music plays.

This times infinity. Rules of Nature rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQIogLBFBs

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Tell me more, I want this game so bad but I can't justify spending more cash on toys right now. It looks super fun though.

Transformers: Devastation is rad as gently caress. All of the (living) Generation 1 voice cast are back, rocking the poo poo like it's 1984 all over again. Combat is pure Platinum fun, full of crazy combos that have you transforming between robot and vehicle form mid-combo. If you like brawlers, and/or are a fan of the original series, I highly recommend it.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

How about if you like Platinum but couldn't care less about Transformers? Do you think it would hold up?

I think so, yeah. At base, it's very similar to Bayonetta/MGR:R, but with some fun vehicle-related stuff added in to make it more Transformer-y, like transforming mid-combo, or using your vehicle mode to go fast enough to smash enemy shields. Plus, like Arstan said, the robots have freaking Witch Time.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Aw man, I read some old posts and now I'm sad I never got a "the Friendly" captain. Maybe I'll do some timeskips and see if one pops up that I can support.

Oh, I love those guys! "I've got nothing but love for you in my heart! Come, let us lay down these weapons!"
*proceeds to try to gut you

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

samu3lk posted:

I've finally got to playing Shovel Knight and I like his useless one-pixel duck animation.

Yo man, it ain't useless. It's so you can dance to the funky beats.

Strike the Earth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eW21J0I1fc

I also wanna say that I love how Plague Knight can learn a full-on dance, and I hope the dancing trend continues with the other knights being added to Shovel Knight.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

haveblue posted:

If you load up the 360/PS3 version of Metal Gear Solid 2 and find the secret codec conversation where Snake is jerking it to a pinup in the locker he's hiding in, you unlock "Snake Beater".

My first reaction to this was "Of course this isn't real. That would be ridiculous."
My second reaction was "Of course it's real. It's Hideo Kojima."

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Polaron posted:

My favorite bit is during the Cyberdemon cutscene, when he and Doomguy are sizing each other up and Doomguy just flexes his hands like "Oh. You again. Okay, let's do this."

DOOM is such a great game and they need to release some expansion packs already.

No joke. DOOM is one of those rare games where the dev team fully understood what was fun about it and kicked it up to 100% at all times.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

I'm playing donkey kong tropical freeze again and my goodness if it doesn't just have the best soundtrack. Every single level is a winner. I'm so glad they got David Wise back

Dude, no joke! Every track in Tropical Freeze is freaking fantastic, and I love how he will occasionally touch on the leitmotifs of past games without leaning too heavily on them.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

scarycave posted:

I got World of Final Fantasy for Christmas, it's like pokemon and final fantasy had a baby, you can change the battle theme to a remix of an old ff battle theme if you unlock the champion from that game. More jrpgs need to have more than one battle theme.

That is one of my favorite thing in any game, period. I'm closing in on the end and at this point I think I have over a dozen different battle themes to mess around with, and it's kept things feeling fresh even when I'm stuck in a dungeon that seems goddamn endless (I'm looking at YOU, Big Bridge!)

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Every time I Fultoned a soldier, I told them to relax because they were going to FAT CAMP to lose a few pounds. Goddamn I love that emblem maker.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Glagha posted:

The God of War Kratos being an rear end in a top hat thing is my least favorite thing in that series because it totally overturns his cool and good Greek hero arc in the first game. He's a larger than life hero brought low by his own hubris and confronted with the fact that nothing will take away his responsibility for his crimes. Then in the sequels he learns nothing and starts acting like a big baby because the gods weren't nice to him.

I also really hated how you had to kill Perseus in God of War 2. Greek Mythology is full of assholes and Perseus is one of the very, very few truly heroic characters in there, so it felt really lovely to kill the guy because Kratos is such a dumb goddamn rear end in a top hat that his only response to anything is to kill it.

Fake edit: since this is the favorite little things in games, I'll add in something I actually did like.

I loved the numerous references State of Decay had to other, famous zombie stories, such as the Plants vs Zombies set up in one yard, or how hitting a zombie with a car door as you drove by netted you the "Gotta Appreciate the Little Things" achievement a la Zombieland.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

Goddamn the intro song to DOOM is so loving rockin, I didn't even realize doom guy cocked his shotgun to the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqwG-LoDRvU&t=831s

Doom guy is such an angry motherfucker.

My favorite little thing about the Doom '16 menu theme: the composer used a synthesized recording of a revving chainsaw for the main melody.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

"Boss, you sure you want this logo?"

"Yeah... it's based on this nightmare someone once told me about..."

Baba Yaga Fanboy has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Aug 30, 2017

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

My favorite thing in Doki Doki Literature Club: when Monika, having destroyed everyone else in her universe, refers to your character name not being your name and then she calls you by your actual name, which I'm guessing the game obtains via your OS username? I've never been so deeply, thoroughly unsettled by a game and I am grateful for it.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Vidaeus posted:

I'd like to give DDLC a go but I'm not very good with horror games or movies :(
How much horror are we talking about here?

It's not jump scary, particularly, but there's plenty about it to inspire dread.

BioEnchanted posted:

Because I kept hearing about it (and it's infamous translation issues) in the RPG thread in Games, I've started playing through the original Wild Arms. I'm enjoying it so far, I like that true to life, Guns are really powerful, but best saved for emergencies, and the intro to Jack's first chapter was hilarious with the boulders and spears chasing him through an increasingly elaborate dungeon. I also like that you can change characters whenever you want, and get prompted to at each chapter break, it feels pretty loose and less linear than it otherwise would be. Pretty fun so far.

Wild Arms is one of my favorite old RPGs; I don't know how well the gameplay has held up, but I think those charming little sprites and that awesome soundtrack are timelessly great. Have fun!

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Hell if I know which thread this would be best suited for, but with all the Persona 5 talk here it seemed like as good of a place as I'm going to find. The inevitable Mr. Bean/Persona 5 mashup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSWqNeEXMNg

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Holy poo poo, I just finished Evil Within 2- what a great game full of odd little touches.

The collectibles that reference other Bethesda published games like Fallout, Skyrim, and Doom, which is represented by the same little Doom Guy figure with music from NuDoom.

Sebastian shouting "DISAPPOINTED!" when he does a bad job in the shooting range (in reference to this infamous Hercules clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djlc6uHTVmY) and how your bad rank will be called "Get Your poo poo Together," or when he and Tatiana reference Joe Esposito's You're the Best Around when you've been kicking rear end, or how, when you've finished out the shooting gallery, Sebastian sarcastically says, "I should probably get back to that whole trying-to-rescue-my-daughter thing."

Also the ghost lady who hums a terrifying rendition of Claire de Lune, the safe room theme, whenever she's near. On the PS4 her voice came through the controller speaker. :ghost:

If you haven't played EW2 and you like horror, I highly recommend it. I felt like it was a massive improvement on the first one across the board and stayed fun, wild, and unpredictable until the very end.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

frankee posted:

in fallout 3 you can improve your health by drinking out of filthy toilets

That works in real life as well

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Now that's a good goddamn little thing in a game

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I think that similarly to RE4 cited above, they all sorta came out in the same timeframe and shaped a lot of mechanics and staples for future games.

smh at all this discussion of the birth of qte gaming and no one's mentioned the TRUE source it all: the PS2 game Eve of Extinction (2002)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=704HJ6d61EQ

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

His reply to Tifa's reaction to seeing him crossdressing, "I know, nailed it."

Goddammit that line made me laugh so loving hard. The English VA nailed the poo poo out of it, that Cloud was trying so desperately to keep looking cool despite the situation.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

HenryEx posted:

that's the board from Control, kinda

Now there's a pitch for a story I wouldn't mind seeing!

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Ariong posted:

It's honestly not a little thing at all, it's actually quite a big thing, but I'd like to post about The Outer Worlds, which I have been playing lately. I knew going into it that it takes place in a sort of corporate dystopia. Based on everything I had heard about it going into it, I had assumed that it would be a very cynical sort of game in the style of Borderlands. It's not. With almost every character you meet, what you find is another example of a person trying to express their humanity in an environment where that is a very hard thing for a person to do.

One of my faves was Martin Callahan, the Spacer's Choice guy wearing their dumb mascot mask.

He's just so... broken under there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeCI4qUwr_w

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Man, the soundtrack in these Final Fantasy pixel remasters have blown me away. The tracks are all so good! Plus I appreciate little touches like actually giving boss themes to the bosses in FF1, or how, in FF3, when you're miniaturized the battle & victory themes are miniaturized into adorable all-woodwind renditions.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Cleretic posted:

So, a weird question: What non-English/original developer language dubs have been exceptionally good or interesting to people?

Recently the Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster made the decision to dub the opera scene in every supported language. For the most part it sounds amateurish but charming (which was the intention, since Celes isn't a trained singer), but the Italian voice actor just loving went for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO25BooQnuI

My friend also recommended the Spanish dub for Sekiro; apparently Spanish voice actors use really similar techniques to Japanese ones, so the voice acting fits well while still giving it a very unique sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5_YQRop_c&t=279s

I really loved the English dub for Persona 5. I could listen to Ryuji's "For real?!?" all day long.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I know I'm very late to the party on this one, but I'm playing The Stanley Parable for the first time through the Director's cut and the number of ways the game accounts for your actions is wild. It's like an old adventure game or CYOA book, except you can get back at the writer by being an uncooperative little poo poo.

It really is amazing how many different ways things can play out in TSP. My whole approach is to try to be a defiant little poo poo as well to infuriate and confuse the narrator as much as possible. If I can gently caress with him hard enough to change his perspective, like, say, in the Is This a Bucket sequence where my defiant answers confused him enough to see that I was saying all things are buckets , it's MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Started playing The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age partially because it was cheap but partially because following 6 losers who were just missing the main characters is a fun idea to me, and I like how they intertwine. Like in Moria when Pippin knocks the corpse down the well, you are at the bottom of that very well and find an item on that corpse. That's cute. I also like how it mostly avoids grinding because most areas don't have random encounters, only a few level segments do. Most encounters are fixed. Also the unique pieces of armour make exploration worth it as you might get a new axe for the dwarf or a new breastplate for the elf. Finally, while I haven't engaged with it yet, evil mode sounds like a fun time.

Oh man, I wish we'd get an episode of What Happen about its development as I'm sure it was crazy. It's got a great soundtrack (since all of the music is 100% lifted from Howard Shore's score) and it apes FFX's combat system pretty competently, plus Sir Ian McKellen reprises his role as Gandalf I believe, plus the devs went to the trouble of having every piece of gear have a unique appearance on your characters, down to the rings. But on the other hand the story is silly rear end nonsense (which imo passes through the stupid threshold into amazing) and you can watch the money run out in real time as you start the game in explorable zones which shrink down over time until eventually you're just literally fighting gauntlets of enemies without any map exploration to speak of.

It also gave us this little moment which I still to this day find hilarious for how silly it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyL-b_Yh5fk&t=1066s

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Cleretic posted:

A weird one for a game I've never played, but wound up watching a Youtube video on and thought was really neat. Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions was a PS3/360/Wii game that's mostly famous for what it started than the game itself: it was the first piece of media with multiple different Spider-Men meeting, and the guy that wrote the plot treatment would take that idea on to write the first Spider-Verse comic storyline.

The neat thing about Shattered Dimensions though is that all four Spider-Men are voiced by different actors who played Spider-Man in his various cartoons. Regular 616 Spider-Man is played by Neil Patrick Harris (from the CG MTV cartoon), Spider-Man Noir is played by Christopher Daniel Barnes (from the 90s Fox Kids cartoon), Spider-Man 2099 is played by Dan Gilvezan (from the 80s cartoons), and Ultimate Spider-Man is played by Josh Keaton (from the 00s CW cartoon). That just strikes me as a really cool idea.

Yeah, for a voice actor nut/long-time spidey fan like me that game was a dream. I love when game devs pay attention to voice actor fidelity/consistency like that- like how the '90s Capcom marvel fighting games had the voice actors from the '90s X-Men animated series reprise their roles as their respective characters.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Horizon: Forbidden West has an accessibility setting I've never seen before but really appreciate: a toggle for high-pitched ringing sounds a la tinnitus. As someone with lifelong, brutally loud tinnitus I appreciate the option to not be reminded of it while playing a game.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

credburn posted:

What franchise has had the most titles that are the exact same title as the original? Has any of them done it more than twice? How many sequels use the same title for a sequel that isn't a remake/reboot?

The Thing trilogy, maybe?

There's the 2011 film, The Thing.
The 1982 film, The Thing, which is its chronological sequel.
The 2002 Playstation 2 game, The Thing, canonically the third entry in the series.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks for linking that essay. I liked especially this bit:

quote:
I think a lot of folks have confused "a funny character" with "a character who doesn't take their own situation, no matter how perilous or interesting it is, seriously."

For me, some of the best comedy comes when characters seriously engage with absurd situations (a.k.a. a farce). The contrast is a great source of humor, and because the characters are being serious, the setting's internal consistency isn't damaged by the writing. You can, if you need to, dip in and out of the comedy just by altering what kind of events are occurring moment-to-moment. You don't need to have fourth-wall-breaking personalities or to change how characters are written in order to make a joke land.

This writer really hit a lot of modern "comedy" on the head- jokes that are embarrassed to be seen with the world and characters around them. Case in point: Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The first time we see Kylo Ren onscreen he almost immediately has the piss taken out of him by Poe who, while in handcuffs in front of a Sith lord, is all like "So, are you gonna talk, or do I talk first, how are we doing this?" How the hell do those movies expect us to take Kylo Ren seriously if that is the way we're first introduced to him?

Conversely, the first thing we see of Darth Vader is him rolling into an all white hallway while the Imperial March blares, then interrogating a dude so hard he kills him. gently caress yes.

Like, is it so hard to be earnest sometimes?! Christ! Anime is stupid as gently caress most of the time but by god you don't get Deku winking at the camera like "yeah, this is happening" whenever he uses his powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

An accessibility option I really appreciate in Horizon: Forbidden West is the ability to turn off high-pitched ringing from stuns, flash bombs, etc. For my whole life I've had incredibly strong tinnitus, so any option to not be reminded of the loud-rear end ringing in my ears is most appreciated.