Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

After putting up with your elderly rambling Jedi party member's anecdotes:

Jolee Bindo was an awesome crazy old man though.

Jolee Bindo posted:

"I'm old, dammit. I'm allowed to be enigmatic when I want to be!"

KotOR and KotOR 2 had the best morality choices outside of Planescape Torment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

*suppressed giggle*

*suppressed giggle*

SPACE!

I'm honestly a little sad he suppressed the giggles. His character is clearly losing his marbles at this point in the game anyways and is actively killing his own soldiers out of paranoia. gently caress it, let him collapse into maniacal laughter as he says "SPACE!".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Len posted:

You can shoot polar bears out of a cannon. It then gets a little parachute and slowly drifts down.

Emperor Takei has a giant robotic samurai and most of his vehicles have transform modes for aquatic or flight capabilities.

Not sure what the allies have but it's also probably ridiculous

Allies only get laser cannons and freeze-ray choppers in the base game. In the expansion they also get hover artillery and Terminator robots (the big ones seen at the start of Terminator, not Arnold Schwarzenegger.)

Basically, at this point, the Red Alert games are almost the Saints Row of RTS games in how seriously they treat themselves.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dragonwagon posted:

This is how the employee area looks like in-game:

The "ceiling" is basically all white, and the shadow is something you don't really notice since you're focusing on all the objects lying around.

The wall and two buildings are different colors, different heights and have different trim along the top. There's a bicycle and a forklift just chilling. There's a fluorescent bulb above one of the doors shining straight down. There's plenty of things pointing to this being outside. Are people really that dumb to think this was just a hallway or room inside a building? Yes. The answer is yes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Sound also plays into stealth in that gunshots and explosions make a visible radius of sound on your minimap and any Nazis in it will immediately beeline to the center to investigate. What gets fun is when you factor in your timed and remote-controlled explosives so you can use the explosion as a distraction to escape or draw enemies away from a point of interest or just stealth kill them while their backs are turned.

My favorite little thing in games is that they teach you this in the tutorial and actually demonstrate it twice. Yes, one of my favorite little things is when a game actually demonstrates how a mechanic works instead of saying "by the way, you can do X" but not show you how it works.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That's because Pierce doesn't put his dick in crazy. And the boss is crazy if nothing else.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ariong posted:

What about Spindly Torque and the Mech Suit? That's way more than 50 years into the future. No, I'm almost positive that every last bit of futuristic tech that the Nazis have is built from Hebrew blueprints. Because Nazis are stupid. They think torturing people is science.

Both the Spindly Torque and the mech suit were from the vault that the nazis didn't find though. Most of the technology seen in the WW2 portion of TNO was either more advanced stuff seen in previous Wolfenstein games or things that actually existed towards the end of the war. Off the top of my head, the early Monitor and the mecha-dogs are the only things in that section that are new to the series.

Keep in mind that the WW2 section of the game takes place almost a year after WW2 ended in reality. I'm not saying they didn't reverse engineer some of the technology by that point, just that most of it already existed by that point in the series.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Considering the timeline of events, wouldn't that be "Gremlins are SPARK heads with hover pads attached"?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Even removing the Saints Row expectations (which are partly their own fault - game's dripping with references and has a bunch of returning characters) it's a mess, but ultimately a likeable mess. I really hope they bounce back from it stronger and manage to wow folks with a AoM2 because it feels like it would only take a little more push to get the AoM formula right.

So hope for another Saints Row/Saints Row 2 lightning in a bottle moment?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Strife loving owns

It got an updated rerelease a few years back on Steam. It's a classic gem that you never really hear when people talk about Doom-style games.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Who What Now posted:

In Total Warhammer 2 (and presumably 1) you can manually fly the goblin Doom Divers. :kimchi:

How do you manual control the doom divers? And can you use that to assassinate leaders/commanders?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I know I missed the SR chat by a day or so, but I just want to say that I never played SR1, and I've never liked Johnny Gat (mostly because in SR2 he comes off as "And the character you know from the previous game, so we won't say anything about him"). So my favorite thing in Gat out of Hell is that you can play the entire game as Kinzie. Because gently caress playing as Gat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Samuringa posted:

The theme of the Last Last Boss of Persona 4 does something like that, it's mostly a very gloomy melody, with bits from some of the themes you heard during the story in a very somber rhythm as you're going against something that might just be impossible, but the last bit, which triggers after a Power Of Friendship Moment where you turn the tables, is an orchestral version of the cheery Main Battle theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1GeWQjIIvI

(Around 6:10 for the bit I mentioned)

The true final boss of Persona 4 is probably my favorite final boss in a jRPG. Not only do you have the somber music that turns into the glorious rendition of the main battle theme, but also when the final boss is down to a sliver of health, she begins spamming her insta-kill move at you. Not at your party. At you. And all you can do is watch as your team members sacrifice themselves to save you while you hope to whittle down the last bit of health before you run out of team members. Oh, and she has two attacks a turn, and you only have three team members. Though it is all scripted and when she kills you, your persona finally reveals his true form and lets you win, it is surprisingly stressful the first time you do it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't they do something insane like making more copies of ET than there were consoles sold?

Nope, that was Pac-Man (12 million units produced when it was made).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Final Fantasy 14, a "very serious, grim fantasy MMO"? In what universe? :psyduck:

Do you dare disparage the grim grandness of Good King Moggle, kupo?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I recently bought Just Cause 3 with the three mission DLC, and I enjoy that it actively tracks what you've destroyed in a town/outpost. There have been a few times where I've been shot, ragdolled into the balsawood supports supporting barrels of gas, causing them to fall on me and extend the ragdoll time, only for the barrels to be shot by the enemies and explode, killing me (either that or they explode from hitting the ground, I'm not sure which).

I don't remember if Just Cause 2 actively tracked that as well, or if it was like other games where it would autosave every X minutes, and if you blew something up and died between autosaves, whoops, you have to take it out again.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Some evil choices in games are extremely hosed up. In the first Knights of the old Republic game, for example, you can have your Wookie character, who has sworn a life debt to you, murder his best friend, a 14 year old Twilek girl. They've been practically family to each other for years, and the only family either one has had for just as long.

Knights of the Old Republic probably had one of the best "You are an irredeemable monster" moments for an evil path. If you're dark side, Mission (the 14-year old girl) is the first one to say "Wait, why the gently caress are we following him?" and wants to leave and take Zaalbar (the wookiee) with her. You mind trick him into killing her, then when you go down to the planet, he tries to kill you for forcing him to kill his friend. On top of that, Johlee Bindo (a jedi that stayed out of the war and was trying to remain neutral on the whole matter) thinks you've become a monster and wants to kill you, Carth runs away, and ultimately all you're left with is HK-47, T3-M4, and Canderous Ordo. Two droids and an Mandalorian who follows you because you're stronger than him. Bastila could also join you, or you could kill her because, y'know, sith have a problem with working together.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Samovar posted:

The latter. There's a bug on the P.C. which makes one mission unwinnable unless you activate help with aiming.

Which mission has this bug?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

SMT talk about alignments.

In the SMT universe, you never see any evidence of Jesus Christ, and Lucifer's sin against YHWH tends to be hinted that he did something against YHWH in favor of humanity (and on the scale of "Law=Angels/Divine, Chaos=Demons/Satan, he falls firmly into "Neutral", outright stating that he won't abandon humanity on the neutral path). Just a couple odd things that stuck out to me.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

MrJacobs posted:

And why would Diddy's racing be off the table?

Didn't Diddy Kong's Racing have characters owned by Rare in it? I could see that being a potential issue.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Also I appreciated it capturing the truest essence of fandoms for shows like that.

So... is it Scar and Wind, or Lee and Scar? Don't keep us in suspense.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been playing Warship Gunner 2, and I just made a ship that mounts ten 100cm deck guns as its primary armament. I cannot stop laughing, and the fact that I'm annihilating enemy ships with part of a single volley only adds to the amusement.

Sure, it used up most of the displacement allotment on a ship that's basically a battleship-sized catamaran, and sure, there's more effective loadouts I could be using with more, smaller guns. But those guns would be smaller.

I keep hearing about the warship gunner games are (I think they were released in North America as the Naval Ops games?). Are they actually good and fun to play, or is it a broken mess that's only redeemed by the "What the gently caress?" aspects of the ship building?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's made worse because the monster's name is "Riverson" instead of "Leviathan". One of the worse translation phoneme gaffes I've ever seen (next to Y Burns).

At least "Riverson" sounds like something a fish would be named. When I first played it, I thought the guy being eaten by Leviathan was supposed to be a reference to Jonah and the Fish/Whale, and not Leviathan.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

NES games look and play like poo poo

While you may be right about early 3d games looking like hot garbage, I will fight you on this one. There are plenty of good NES games that still have good gameplay and look fantastic.

Super Mario Bros 2 and 3, Duck Tails, Rescue Rangers, Startropics, Dragon Warrior 2 and 3... dammit, now I want to play NES.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember all too well being one of the people mocking "consolisation" of games when they brought in loot glow and highlighted objectives.

Pfft, having loot shine from all the way across the room, so lazy. Not having it rewards careful thorough players with bonus loot. Too easy.

Highlighted/glowing objectives are insulting our intelligence. I can find poo poo on my own, thanks.

Now I go back to those old games and realise how poorly designed they were. How many times I would be lost because I didn't see some incredibly tiny detail. Like a switch, or button.

How many times did I end up just mashing the use key while rubbing up against everything in the room because the button I was supposed to use was indistinguihsalbe from every other glowing control panel which was just decoration?

Far too many.

Hell, the original Doom and Doom 2 highlighted a fair number of secrets in the minimap, by showing you where a good number of the fake walls were (they were shown on the minimap as the same color as doors). Now figuring out how to open said fake walls, that was the catch. And the ones you just opened like a door were usually a slightly different texture, so you could spot them if you were paying attention. Then again, these are also, y'know, secrets, and not the stage proper. Though the keys DID shine brightly and in the dark.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If we're still listing our favorite game oversights, I'd say the one from Street Fighter 2 that let you chain hits together.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can't you also trigger lightning strikes with the lightning arrows during a thunderstorm, or am I misremebering how many things trigger lightning during a storm?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Danaru posted:

Stopping alien invasions via egregious property damage worked for X-Com too :colbert: it's a proven method

Hey, I take pride in that I've only destroyed the occasional house, car, concrete barrier or store displays during a mission. Now aliens deciding that the best way to get to me is to rain missiles down on the roof of a 4+ story building while everyone is on the ground floor...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The troops opened fire AFTER the enemy plowed through the wall. Thus the damage to the building is wholly on the alien. :colbert:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I just hope no one missed out that NAZI MADE OUT OF BEES is an actual character

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarm_(comics)

" Intrigued by their intelligence and passive nature, von Meyer attempted to enslave the queen bee but failed and the bees devoured him, leaving only his skeleton."

Nazis: Even poo poo at beekeeping.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm too lazy to skip through the video to see if they ever focus on it, but I'm wondering if it's a case of the AI is simply building excess and sending them to gather from the next nearest point early on, or micromanaging the probes so they gather fast enough to justify 8 additional probes. Also, do the replays save the camera positioning of each player, or just in-game actions?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

The stormtroopers in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy did that as well. Those games were pretty great in general.

In Jedi Knight, they would run around like chickens with their heads cut off. In the expansion, Mysteries of the Sith, they would actually try to punch you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Danaru posted:

I have the most fun in Evil Genius forgetting about the social stuff and just keeping everyone on yellow alert and guns blazing :v: Agents can't bring heat on you if they're dead

Plus it's always great seeing an enemy soldier 1v1ing Jubei as four guards show up and light them up with rifle fire

Evil Genius was a great game with some annoying bugs (scientists did the opposite of what they were supposed to do, and people can't walk on the carpet being the two big ones I remeber). I should look into seeing if anyone ever patched the bugs...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beaten the main story of God of War. I really liked the final Baldur fight, and the sequel hook. Hoping they do another one so we can see what happens there. Besides Kratos killing another pantheon :P

Wait, would Kratos be single-handedly bringing about Ragnarok or preventing it by killing all the key players before they can play their roles in the prophecy? Honest question, I haven't played the new GoW yet.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes. Iga loves JoJo and has had the Stone Mask in Castlevania since SotN.

Just a shame it never turns you into a vampire if you get blood on it. Does... does it turn you into a vampire now?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Or a gunhammer?

But isn't that just a hammer with a rocket engine on it? I mean, if it's good enough for a king...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just Offscreen posted:

All games are horny- this is known.

But what is the true horniest game?

The horny of hornies.

No More Heroes is all about playing the world's loneliest otaku who only became an assassin because an (underage?) blonde told him that she only sleeps with the best assassins in the world. Also, something about incest in the fast forward backstory summary with the final boss?

And I get the feeling I was just put onto several watch lists just for writing that summary.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

:words"Mass Effecf:words:

Wasn't the other reason humanity was immediately promoted to being on the Council because, in the first war against the Tourians, humanity had taken weaponry meant for capital-class ships, stuck an engine and cockpit on to them, and called it a day for ship design? I remeber there being a footnote that Humanity was put onto the council because half the council was impressed with Humanity's ingenuity with weapon design, and half were absolutely terrified with the prospect of not having us in a place where they could keep an eye on us holy poo poo what is wrong with hairless apes? I think it was the same footnote that said that humanity wasn't allowed to have a ship class under a certain size (because we're liable to just make it a giant gun again).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Pokemon Masters

Is it just from the games/show, or do they also draw from the Pokemon Adventures manga? And if so, does Green have 7 pokemon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

They’ve made looting much easier too. If someone from you faction attacks an enemy, you and others from your faction can attack it too, and you’ll all get your own loot from it without having to group up. If the monster is a named guy who part of a quest objective or a rare spawn, you don’t even need to be from the same faction, unless you have pvp mode activated.

I think they lifted those from the Warhammer MMO as well. It had the same, or at least very similar mechanics. I remeber a few quests requiring bear asses going much faster just because someone was farming them in the same area, so as long as you damaged their enemy and they damaged yours, you both got the look from both enemies.