Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Edward_Lapine posted:

Not Persona 3, this game is Japanese and anime as all hell. Obviously the game is English translated but a lot of the naming mannerisms, currency, culture, and environments seem quite Japan. I'm not too into anime/otaku (says the SA account user), but I really appreciate this detail because it helps with :qq: MY IMMERSION :qq:

:japan:

Man, goons aren't going to bust through your door and bite you even if you enjoy something Japanese or write "immersion" normally.

It's okay to like things, there's no need to try so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Phoenix Wright localization was pretty silly, but it was especially bad in the third game when a case features a kimono embroiderer who hangs out a maid cafe all day yet they still pretend it takes place in America.

I'll always remember that guy from his catchy marching theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEvJZb0SWs

Besides, "War Song" is totally an American name. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

SiKboy posted:

People complaining about a video game being "gamey" will never cease to confuse me. Yes it is, thats why I'm playing a video game because I'm in the mood to play a game, which will be by definition gamey. Make it gamey as gently caress, that is literally why I'm playing a game. When I read a book I dont complain that its too "Booky", I've never walked out a movie because it was too movie-y.

People legitimately trying to compare video games with movies or books despite them being a different thing altogether never ceases to confuse me either, but it's a world full of mysteries out there.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sad lions posted:

Not many games are easily identifiable as games any more besides being interactive and fans of the existing state of games are largely going to dislike things that go against the newer tradition of being interactive fiction.

Hmm yes, that minor thing which literally defines video games and differentiates them from every other medium. I can see how that could be a minor factor somewhere. Also story-heavy gameplay-light games have been a thing for a long-rear end time now, if anything they're simply making a comeback.

But seriously though, no matter how trendy ~cinematic experiences~ are right now, if you actually have a hard time distinguishing games from movies in the year 2014 then you have bigger issues than this silly hobby. Gone Homes and Walking Deads and whatnot certainly get a lot of attention, but 98% of video games are very clearly video games even today.

Now to cleverly tie this to the actual topic; in Fallout 3 there's a :nws: beheaded corpse of a man named Gibson who is a reference to the similarly beheaded Jean-Jack Gibson :nws: from the 1988(!) story-focused video game(!!) Snatcher. If you loot him you even find the exact same note you find from Jean-Jack in Snatcher.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

1redflag posted:

Post the note!

There isn't much to it, it just says :nws: "Search the house!" which is actually a double reference; in Snatcher it's a hint towards searching a small model house in Gibson's actual house, and in Fallout 3 the key which you loot from Gibson :nws: which the original Gibson also has unlocks a small model house which is situated in "Gibson's House".

Man, that got a bit confusing to write.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Oct 16, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Actually while I'm on the subject of Snatcher, it has quite a few funny touches (it's a Hideo Kojima game after all). A couple that come to mind:

- Early on in the game you explore a ruined factory, and your robot helper (called Metal Gear by the way, pretty sure the one in MGS4 is based on this guy) mentions that he can hear ticking and that you should turn up your volume to hear it. It's obviously a time bomb and after it loudly explodes and the protagonist barely escapes, there's this interaction between them:

quote:

Gillian: Jeez, my ears are really ringin'.
Metal: That's because you left the volume turned up.

- You can use your HQ's computer to get info about various things. If you type KOJIMA, you get a small message from the man himself:

- In the game you also have access to a codec-like phone which you can use to call various people by typing in a phone number. One of the numbers you get is for "LoveLine", and calling there twice (IIRC) nets you this pretty great conversation. Linked because it's a huge image.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Paradox games are pretty well-known for having humorous events, but even the various tooltip descriptions can be pretty chuckleworthy at times.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The joke is that you turn your head and look away when your enemy is in need of help.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Leal posted:

Whats really great is that I googled "glass him" randomly at work (sometimes those last 5 minutes take forever to come) and the search results are just full of people complaining that they should of used clearer wording cause they didn't want to smash a shot glass onto the woodsman and they thought "glass him" meant pouring him a glass (:psyduck:)

Its no wonder gaming companies treat/think gamers are dumb, its cause they are.

Or people misunderstand it because they're not native English speakers. That's the vast majority of the world, you know.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Tracula posted:

Not to pick on you but I'm wondering why linear is such a dirty word to people thesedays with games? I mean, yeah, Farcry, Skyrim, etc are great and all since they let you explore but a good deal of me likes when a game is linear since you play through, get the experience and that's it, no real frills. Sometimes I don't want a CYOA with a game but that's just me :shrug:

Saying that "people find linear a dirty word" is a pretty big generalization, there are plenty of different opinions and it depends a great deal on the title in question. A game being too linear can be a valid complaint for one game but linearity can just as well work for a different game.

In any case, there is a middle ground between a complete tunnel that gives you no freedom at all and a completely open sandbox that allows you to go and hunt for bears in the mountains. Take for example Deus Ex games; Even though you'll eventually go from Point A to Point B, you can also find all kinds of alternative approaches to various situations and different paths with extra rooms/goodies/notes/what have you if you choose to explore a bit, something a lot of people enjoy doing. Such a game can definitely suffer from limiting your freedom too much. It can also often feel like a waste if the developers have made some really cool environment you'd like to see more of but you're never given the option to leave the same hallway no matter how pretty the view from the windows is.

Obviously the opposite applies too, if a game is trying to maintain a particular pace and flow with its story or action, it can suffer from having too many distractions that break them. If a game is meant to be a tightly-packed and -scripted experience, trying to unnecessarily jam in side quests and collectables will just take away the focus from the game's actual point. This doesn't come up as an issue as often because you usually have the option to ignore the side stuff even if it's there whereas in a completely linear game you don't have the option to do the opposite.

TL;DR: Variety is good.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

On the topic of FF, XIV is well-known for being chock-full of references to everything in the series, but I'm especially a fan of the slightly subtler stuff.

Also even something like chat filter settings have humorous touches.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Here's the patent in question.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has a god (note: the site is quite slow so give it a bit) that empowers you when you wear as many cursed items as possible.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Uh, actually, there's a couple of ways that scene can resolve. You can choose to not fire (a lot of people do this by accident I think, because you're not given a lot of time to pull the trigger). You can fire (in which case, Ocelot reveals it was a blank). And you can intentionally miss. All aside from the outcome where you don't pick the right one.

Of course none of that is how the scene actually went down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfvSoE1Hnc

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Jan 19, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

I feel like some artist was trying really hard to draw people and kept getting the head proportions wrong. Or maybe these guys are all caricatures. Or they're from Dishonored.

I'm trying not to make a stale "go outside more" post but people do have all kinds of head shapes in real life, it's nothing particularly weird.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

In the picture he quoted, they do all have a pretty serious case of fiveheads and really bad haircuts that emphasize it. :shrug:

Well bad haircuts are a given since it's e-sports, but otherwise there are a whole lot of weirder looking people in the world than those dudes.

Anyway, to post something topical, one of my favorite little things in a game is in Icewind Dale II in which you'll every now and then find various corpses in containers, and you can pick up and carry them around in your inventory just like any other item. There's no real reason to do so except some funny comments from townspeople wondering what the hell is wrong with you.

However if you for some reason carry the corpses of a cat, a man and/or a woman through the entire game all the way to the literally final dungeon, you can have various conversation about it with a certain boss named Yquog there:

quote:

PC: Wait! Isn't there a peaceful way to settle this? Perhaps I have something you'd like - say this *dead cat/man/woman* for instance....
Yquog: Uh... Why are you carrying around a dead cat/man/woman?

The answer to this varies depending on which specific corpse(s) you're carrying with you:

quote:

PC with a cat's corpse: Doesn't everybody carry around a dead cat? It's soft, and furry - well, parts of him are still furry - it's low maintenance, and the smell is rather cleansing, once you get used to it.

quote:

PC with a man's corpse: Oh, him? He's my good luck charm! You see, he was my first kill, and ever since then I've been carrying him around for good luck. As you can see with my exemplary success against the Legion of the Chimera's many hordes, he works like a charm!

quote:

PC with a woman's corpse: Her name is MISTY! Be polite to my Misty, she's very dear to me. It's hard enough to offer her to you, even though it was her suggestion. What? What's that, sweety? You think the lumpy demon is funny looking...?

quote:

PC with both a man's and a woman's corpses: Ha, ha, funny you should ask. You see, I'm their chaperone for their date - you know, I'm around so they don't do anything that they would later regret. It'd be a shame if I had to end their little outing by handing one of them over to you, but... Hey, wait a bit! Why don't you chaperone them?

quote:

PC with a cat's corpse and either a man's or a woman's corpse: Hey, easy on the *dead* comment - Buddy/Misty's very sensitive about that. As for Spot, well, Buddy/Misty always harped about wanting a pet, so one day I caved and gave him/her one. He was a tough bugger to get, but one swift *whack...*

All to which he understandably responds with

quote:

Yquog: NO! What's wrong with you?! You're insane! How could an insane fleshy mortal reap such havoc on the Legion of the Chimera?! I can't eat you; you'll give me some kind of mental disease! I'll just kill you and leave the body for the rats!

But the best part is that if you carry all three corpses all the way to him, he gets so freaked out that he straight up runs away and you skip the entire fight:

quote:

PC: Wait! Isn't there a peaceful way to settle this? Perhaps I have something you'd like - say this dead cat,* or this *dead man,* or *dead woman,*...
Yquog: You... You mean to say that you carry dead things with you wherever you go?!
PC: Of course! Doesn't everyone? For me, it's kind of like a memento of all the slaughter I wrought during this campaign against the Legion of the Chimera.
Yquog: You... I... But... By Iyachtu Xvim, you're SICK! You hold no concept or understanding for things alive or dead! I want no part of you, not when I'm so close to maturity! Collect all the bodies you want, sick fleshy mortal, but you'll not have mine! I'll leave this place, and you, in peace and never return, of this I swear!
PC: Oh, well, okay, if you insist. Pity, though, you'd have made a fine addition to my pretty, tender collection...
Yquog: AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

No joke, I actually went back to Gamestop and exchanged my Arkham Asylum disc for a new one because I was convinced it was defective. Every time the graphical glitches came up I freaked out and dashboarded immediately, because I thought keeping the game running would gently caress my Xbox up something fierce. So it never got to the replaying the intro part.

Looking back on it, I'm kind of surprised the clerk let me make the exchange and didn't just say something like, "Haha dude, you fell for it?!"

If only google had existed back in the day, probably would've saved you a lot of trouble.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Off-topic arguments into elementary school -level insults, everyone's a winner in this thread today.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Since people are complaining about tutorials in the mirror thread, it made me think of a tutorial I like - Peace Walker. The CQC tutorial is presented like a boot camp for new recruits, and you can skip it if you want (since you're such a badass super soldier). It was just a really clever way of integrating a tutorial into the game's world.

Final Fantasy VII does it in a pretty similar manner, since the protagonist is a trained soldier most (largely optional) tutorials consist of him explaining the basics for other people.

For example you learn how certain spells and Limit Breaks work by watching two kids playfighting and pretending to use magic while you advice one of them on how to counter the other kid's "spells". Eventually the kid is about to lose but he unleashes his "Limit Break" and pummels the other kid into the ground. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I still can't believe how many unique human beings there are that do this. It's just baffling how many people have apparently independently thought it would be cool to surround their name with some jumble of upper- or lowercase X's. If you look at the scoreboard in a 64-player battlefield game you are basically guaranteed to see at least two.

And somehow none of these thousands upon thousands of people have realized that it doesn't make you look cool. It makes you look like a jackass.

I'm sure you were an extremely refined and self-aware person when you were 13-16 and never did anything you consider dumb or embarassing today.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

It's a video game.

Surely fiction must be pretty boring if you never have any opinions or emotional response to fictional characters.

On topic, one little thing I like about Legend of Grimrock 2 is how well they integrated Mimics. In most games they're an annoying bother but in LoG 2 they're pretty terrifying because the game is played from the first person perspective, and whenever you open any chest the camera (your "face") instantly zooms inside of it to see the loot.

Normally you see a bunch of items, but sometimes you're staring down a fleshy throat of one of these with only a moment to react before it shrieks and bites you.

After the first one you never trust a chest again.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I thought most of the FMV in Alan Wake was pretty weak but having the guy who played Max Payne in the first game as a guest on the talk show was pretty funny.

Sam Lake / Sami Järvi was also the lead writer of both Max Payne and Alan Wake, they used his face (alongside the faces of the rest of the dev team and their friends and family) simply due to budget reasons. Which is also why they went for comic book panels instead of cutscenes, both which ended up being things the game is remembered for today.

On a related note, in MP2 there is a hidden memorial for a guy who I believe was a friend of someone in the dev team and who died shortly before the game was released. Always found it a cool "secret".

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

He is the tankiest tank I have ever had in a party and I love this game for it. He can't hit anything worth a poo poo, his damage is crap and he's useless other than waddling in and standing there.

This may also be caused by a bug that causes follower stats to inflate if you save and load your game in the area you recruit them in, mind. It makes Edér practically invincible real fast. There are a couple of bad bugs like that but like I said in the game's thread, massive games like this will always have something slip through the cracks so I don't really buy into the "Obsidian game" jokes this time around, for the most part it works real smooth.

Len posted:

Until the next new hotness comes out and the thread forgets about it. And then in a month or so goon reaction will leave the "OMG OBSIDIAN MADE A NEW GANE IT'S PERFECT" stage and you'll start seeing more believable reviews where there's more than pure praise. That's the Goon way of gaming.

It's not perfect but it's legitimately an excellent game and probably Obsidian's best one to date.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

bewilderment posted:

The combat log is useful and you should expand it to be taller than it is, really. Also a lot of the auto-pause options should be on. 'Enemy spotted' and 'combat started' are good ones, as might be 'trap spotted'. 'Endurance low' is good for knowing what the hell just hit you, as is 'ally downed'. 'Enemy downed' lets you immediately retarget as soon as you kill one target. I don't currently have it on but I think there's also 'enemy spell starting' which lets you know to get the hell out of an AoE.

It's worth mentioning that if you mouseover an event like someone landing a crit or a miss or dealing x damage in the combat log, it displays the exact calculations and rolls that led to that outcome.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Gamers are terrible about not actually knowing what they want in things. It's like complaining about indie games using pixel graphics and then complaining about hand-drawn graphics looking too "casual" or "Facebook", people want games that don't have padding or fetch quests but they also want 50-60 hours of content: people bitch about both of them even if statistically most of then will never actually finish it all regardless.

I also eagerly wait for the day when various opinions are made illegal and everyone will agree to like the same things.

Also this has literally nothing to do with "gamers", you're just describing "people".

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Chard posted:

It is the best MGS song and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

I won't start rating them but MGS has a lot of pretty great songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RpiDw4KNEU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

LoonShia posted:

Nice to see that Portable Ops produced at least one good thing.

Yeah, I haven't actually played PO but that's one of my favorite tracks in the series.

On a related note, the pretty great rhythm roguelike Crypt of the Necrodancer which comes out of Early Access tomorrow has the shopkeeper on each level "singing" to the background music. Not only is it a funny touch, but it can actually help you pinpoint the location of their store as their singing gets louder as you get closer to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6paOj0agDI

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

One of my favorite things to do in Ys II is harassing townsfolk with magic, they all have unique dialogue for both that and for when you try to reconcile with them afterwards with gifts.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It was the same deal in Witcher 2 already as well.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

My favorite thing about Gunpoint is all the silly pre-mission chats you have with your clients, there's a whole lot of pretty amusing dialogue in that game.

(Context is the chief of police asking you to steal a thing from the police station.)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I started playing Arkham Knight and I am so disappointed. Like, disappointed enough that I feel compelled to write about it instead of go the gently caress to sleep like a healthy person.

It's not a bad game and it's obviously suffering from the weight of two great prior installments-- "third in the trilogy is the weakest" rule is in full effect here--but even giving Arkham Knight all the benefits of the doubt and my own bias I'm amazed at how annoyed I am by this game. If I hadn't gotten it as part of a "free" download bundle alongside Witcher 3 with my new GPU I'd be looking for a refund.

To start, here's the biggest problem-- the writing. It sucks. It sucks on toast. It is absolutely everything you picture when you picture a hack superhero story. There are oodles of dialogue that should have been trimmed and the VAs are clearly trying to work around. Cliche conventions and lines of dialogue abound in the worst ways possible. The pacing is atrocious right out of the gate.

Like, I don't suck Paul Dini's dick. I don't like Harley Quinn; I think he took way more credit than he was ever actually due for Batman: The Animated Series; and a lot of his other projects have left me going "that was adequate," but good god am I about to suck Dini's dick now because apparently that man was essential in keeping these games from being everything I hate about bad Batman writing. Sefton Hill--and whomever the two underlings Martin Lancaster and Paul Crocker are--are clearly inadequate. Then we have that awful cliche line from the trailers "this is about the night the Batman died." That alone should tell you how bad the writing is going to be, but jesus gently caress it's actually worse than that. Seriously who the gently caress let this Sefton Hill rear end in a top hat write the script? It really does smell of a guy who was only given the job because he was a project lead on the last two games and got arrogant about his capabilities. I might be dynamite at managing the kitchen at a restaurant but that doesn't mean when the star chef leaves I go back into the kitchen as though I'll be able to keep those Michellin Stars. Why the gently caress does Sefton Hill think he could take over for Paul Dini? Is there seriously no other DC talent sitting around who would have wanted this project?

And then there's plain old bad game design. Spoilers are going to be tagged out of respect from hereon out. The very opening is actually pretty great, with the player having to ignite the Joker's body with a button press, and then everything goes downhill really quickly. We're treated to a Gotham City where the people in charge of character and interactive models, and environment/landscape designers seem to have been on two completely different wavelengths. The characters and models are still in that "Gothic/Art Deco/Modern mash-up of the first two games while the city itself is almost entirely an attempt to be as real as real can be to show off the new graphics tech, which I wouldn't mind but the contrast is noticeable because the very first thing they have you do is control some doomed NPC in a 50s-style diner in a lovely scripted event straight out of Call of Duty.

After that things pick up a bit because the core gameplay is still solid, but wait-- now instead of a quick-change menu in the lower left-hand corner we have to go to a separate pause menu when we use the D-Pad to change our gear. This is to free up button space for the new Batmobile, Mission Objective, and AR Training buttons. Holy gently caress is that trying to fix what isn't broken. I'm not going to talk about it as much as the other flaws, but it's probably the worst change overall because it actively fucks with your mechanical sense of flow, and it's hard to convey that unless you've played prior Arkham games and Arkham Knight in close proximity.

So yay, what's next? How about forced Batmobile segments. At first I was on-board because hey that's the big new feature of this game, this map of Gotham was clearly designed for driving, and maybe the plot will get rolling once I get it out of the way. No, that doesn't happen. Of course that doesn't happen.

Instead we immediately launch into boring scripted chase sequences, rescuing Poison Ivy to kick-start the detective part of the story, and then we're forced into a horrible and unskippable tutorial level to learn to use a function you need for the next car sequence that exists for no practical reason other than to force you to try an AR Mission. Everything the tutorial teaches you would have been better implemented right into the next car sequence in the Metroidvania/Zelda way that every other Arkham game has done such things. Holy poo poo are these really the same guys making this? Not only that, but The Batmobile basically handles like a cross between a GTA Car, and a vehicle from Halo. It's perfectly functional but I ditched that thing the absolute first second I could. Aside from bullet-trails coming off of your "unmanned" tank opponents nothing about the Batmobile segments were anything new to me. I'm sure if you're in that 8-18 demo this game is very clearly aiming for--to a much higher degree than the previous two--then it's the bee's loving knees but I was very underwhelmed.

Now ok, we're finally back, where do we go from here? To the GCPD of course where we're forced to parade through more awful dialogue that I began to straight-up skip at this point, something I never did in any prior Arkham game, and deal with the laziest loving trophy room I have ever seen. I wouldn't even care, but this series has already proven it can do so much better than this Remember how creative and interesting The Penguin's Trophy Room in the Natural History Museum was in Arkham City? Get ready to look at plain-rear end glass cases filled with iconography from each villain who has previously appeared in any of the other three Arkham games with the same dull voice over when you click on them for more info. What an absolute loving waste.

Ok ok ok. So if I hate this so much why am I still playing? Because I'm hoping that if I listen to a little more of this preamble bullshit I can start expediting cutscenes, get all the major tutorial and introductory bullshit out of the way, and enjoy what is still a fun exploration/combat system in absolutely breathtaking environments. So I put up with it, and now I learn that instead of being physically confined in some way to listen to the bullshit in-engine cutscenes now there are literal invisible walls. That's plain lazy And instead of having a long and winding semi-linear story where the objective meanders from Rogue to Rogue with optional side missions and mostly free exploration, now I have some bullshit Mission Objective System where I can advance the main plot with big glaring "FIGHT THIS ROGUE HERE" side missions bolted on, even though literally everything about the A-plot up to this point has an apocalyptic sense of urgency. Holy loving balls that undercuts the tension of this story. Like yeah Arkham Asylum and City had high stakes from the get-go, but in Asylum you were on a fairly linear path and in City there wasn't a sense of urgency as much as "Arkham City needs to be ended, let's deal with what's in front of us and go from there." Arkham Knight has a plot of "SCARECROW GONNA gently caress US ALL UP IN A HOT MINUTE" yet we immediately take a break so Batman can investigate a few bodies and play grab-rear end with the Riddler.

And that's all there is to loving do once you start. You start on one island with literally 4 or so objectives, one of which is to lurch the main plot forward and the others which are all opening act bullshit with no payoff. Like seriously how the gently caress did this get past the first drafts if they've been planning this game since Arkham City's development 5 goddamn years ago?

I'm not expecting people to agree, but I had to get that out. I haven't been this disappointed with a time-killer theme park of a game in a good long while. Is this what all the major game releases are now? I'm going to grind through this game for a little while longer, at least until Robin/Nightwing/Catwoman show up and I get to see how the team combat works, but considering how little I actively looked for this release I'm pretty drat let down.

This is also my favorite little thing in that game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I'm a bit late to the Witcher party since I only started 3 yesterday, so I'm sorry if this has been mentioned. In the original Witcher game there are army recruitment posters on the walls of Vizima on which citizens have written a couple of colourful comments.

8 years later in The Witcher 3, one of the collectable Gwent cards you find...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

My favorite little thing about Phantom Pain is that Quiet's ripped pantyhose are almost identical to how Eva's stockings looked after she got zapped by Volgin in 3. The dude isn't even subtle about his fetishes.

You've been paying a lot of attention to ripped pantyhoses and stockings it seems, I'm glad we have experts on the field doing in-depth comparisons on these things because I highly doubt I would've noticed that particular connection myself. Keep up the good work.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

redweird posted:

Am I going to pay full price for MGSV? After reading this thread it sure seems like it.

Go for it, I'm sure you've already finished your backlog and thus don't have any other games you paid money for but haven't played through yet.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

More MGSV brilliance. Everyone knows who awesome fultoning is, but I haven't seen this detail mentioned: Enemy soldiers scream when they get fultoned, but freed prisoners and wandering ex-MSF guys laugh and go "woohoo".

It's a bit older than that as the same thing happens when fultoning enemies/prisoners in Peace Walker.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

malal posted:

I just started playing Wasteland 2 since it came out on consoles. It perfectly hits the old-school sweet spot of old RPG's, complete with complicated skill trees, useless perks, tactics, and goofy humor. So far I walked out of the base, and got a distress call from two camps. One is being attacked by the plants they were growing, the other by raiders. You are clearly told you cant help both. one location makes food for the area, the other produces clean water.
I go for the raiders, and as you progress through the mission you keep getting radio calls from the poor mutant plant people culminating in themtelling you not to come anymore, everyone is dead and the radio room is about to be overrun.
Its nice to have a hard choice that's "save the food or water, you cant do both" instead of the usual "blow up a crate of puppies or save a schoolhouse on fire, you cant do both."

I had played the original version for a bit but dropped it once DC was announced. I picked it up again now that it came out and picked AG Center instead of Highpool this time around and it's pretty cool to see how completely different going through the place is. There's a whole bunch of cool and weird people in there and I met almost none of them in my first playthrough because things went real south while I was elsewhere.

Incidentally if you do AG Center first, the last you call get from Highpool is a raider woman going something along the lines of "This place belongs to us now motherfuckers! Smash this radio, TIME TO PARTY!!" which was at least less depressing than "Everybody's been devoured by mutant plants." Plus the NPC recruit you get from there is a semi-crazy 67-year-old scientist lady with a mechanical arm (and 10 Intelligence!) which is way rad.

On a more topical note my favorite little easter egg from Wasteland 2 (which takes place in post-apocalyptic Arizona) is this hidden item cache you can find in the desert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I love Oblivion's music.

Jeremy Soule is the composer for a lot of cool soundtracks, and you can usually recognize his style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ysisxLSfsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r46yzCB82kA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKGsmjbq2w

Icewind Dale's soundtrack deserves to be here in its entirety, and Inon Zur who composed the soundtracks of Fallout 3 and New Vegas (and 4 which obviously isn't out yet) amongst other things did an amazing job with the sequel as well. The IWD soundtracks are amongst my favorites in gaming, and I tend to pay a lot of attention to the music in the things I play.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Oct 28, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Fun fact, Tim Follin is also behind the recent and surprisingly charming FMV game Contradiction: Spot the Liar! that everyone should probably play.

I could link video game music all day but since this is the PYF little things in games thread I'll instead mention that Eschalon: Book II is one of the few games that allows you to say "nope" when asked to save the world after which the game lets you keep playing but you can no longer finish it. There's no real point to it of course, but I always appreciate it when it's a thing that a game allows you to do.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

fair enough, the conversation spun out of people being incredulous at the very idea of games journalists ever giving dishonest scores so I was still following that.

GOLD FIVE, SWEATING WHILE WILDLY MANOUEVERING AROUND SOCIAL BOUNDARY FLAK CANNONS AND AVOIDING EYE CONTACT WITH THE PROTON TORPEDO GLARES OF FEMALE HUMANS, HOMING IN ON THE SAFE, COMFORTING TRENCH RUN OF AN EXTREMELY NARROW AND FIXED TOPIC OF CONVERSATION WHICH CANNOT BE DEVIATED FROM AT RISK OF ENGAGING IN SMALL TALK: Stay on topic …. Stay on topic…. Aaaaaaaaargh !!!!

You're trying way too hard to the point where I'm actually a little embarassed for you.

Meanwhile, one of my favorite little things in Terranigma (which takes place in a fictional version of our world, sort of) is the fact that you can find the HQ of the game's developer and chat with the people there. Amongst other things you learn where the inspiration for the game came from after saving the life of one of the devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

While KotOR definitely does it well, Planescape: Torment is probably still the king when it comes to giving you the option of being evil and cruel in a way that can at times be genuinely upsetting. If you're someone who feels bad doing bad stuff in a video game, bringing Dak'kon along as a party member and talking to him while playing an evil Nameless One is guaranteed to make you feel absolutely miserable.