Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Saints Row with an upgraded Red Faction Guerrilla destruction engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I assume that Volition still own and can use the engine tech even if they don't have the Red Faction rights, right?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Does the game ever have any reflective surfaces anyway?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Borderlands 2 has some fun like this too, most evident in the "Shoot This Guy in the Face" mission.
I've never not shot him in the face. What happens if you don't? :ohdear:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Arx Monolith posted:

Shadow of Mordor

When you cross the sea with your orc army , guess who was waiting for me? Grisha the Puny. That god drat punk kid who killed me, became a captain and then got a severe beat down from me at least 15 times only to finally die. or so I thought. It was good to see him, bag over his face and all. I know he's mostly skull with a few chunks of meat under there, so I felt good to see him alive and kicking. Infact, I alt-tabbed just to type this out and tell you all how PROUD I am of ol' Grisha the bag-faced, never-dying, puny son of a bitch. :D

I loving love this game. It can't get enough love.

On the flip side I have one captain that's a super loving pain in the arse to kill and not fun at all. Immune to Combat Finishers (The end of Flurry combos are Combat Finishers), Immune to Stealth, Immune to Ranged, calls followers, vault breaker, regens health and stays back from combat. He's a shield guy too.
Every time I kill him and he returns I just groan and seriously think about just exiting and restarting the game so I don't have to deal with him and hope the game kills him off-screen in a Power Struggle like the game did with Doucherat :argh:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kruller posted:

Does he have any fears? If a captain is afraid they lose all their immunities.
The big troll things. And he can still be damaged by explosions but even the fire arrow skill has trouble keep up with his Regen.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SiKboy posted:

If you want to kill them without decapitating them, explosions and throwing them off ledges are your friends! I tend to find that if I use a combat execution then head comes off, most other deaths head stays on.
Throwing them of ledges is hilarious because they don't even tumble or squirm or anything. Just float down to the ground in a slightly off-skew T-pose.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dad Jokes posted:

also im pretty sure its a butt joke

content: tomodachi life is surreal as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvC9d6VQwOo
All hail the roast beef.
Watch out for outbreaks of baked beans too.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

I haven't played it yet (I only have a PC) and I'm seriously considering playing it first-person only first time through. Is the new view good enough to hold up to that?
You could I guess. Driving is pretty easy to get used to if you've played any arcade racer in bumper/cockpit mode.
Combat is the hardest part. You're still super squishy and with the first person view you have even less awareness of your surroundings. Not to mention that the cover system is even more annoyingly fiddly. Before it would just stick you to the wrong box in the open, now it sticks you to the wrong box and faces you the wrong way in the open.
At the moment control-wise, Freeaim is not good. It's too twitchy/too slow/too fiddly, doesn't seem to be any smoothing or minor gimmies (4 pixels off.... ehh, we'll give you the hit kinda stuff) like an actual console FPS has so if you're off aim by a millimeter, you'll miss, and as you go to re-adjust, you'll tap and zip to the other side of the target. Change the settings and now you spin too slow, etc. But this might not be a problem on PC so :shrug:
(Assisted Aim works fine though and IMO looks better. Your view stays centered on your target as they drop to the ground. Just makes it look better than just standard shooter Stare Infront Of You shooting.)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The whole "neon underground" thing is basically steampunk for people who think they're too cool for steampunk.
Infamous Second Son/First Light has proven that the only thing next-gen consoles are good for is rad looking neon effects.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Twitch posted:

The boomerang things were fun as hell to use.
I have one of those 'Wingstick' toys, they're pretty cool. If I can find it I'll post a photo.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

I hate it when games give you silly outfits and don't show them in cutscenes. Tales games are great about this, though, you can go through the game with all the characters in bathrobes or Power Rangers outfits if you want. Xenosaga games sometimes do this with the unlockable swimsuits, too.
This cut-scene from Sleeping Dogs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgfsIm8ukkI
In this outfit:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

On the criminal side of Hardline there are also alternate sound clips that play when you do stuff. Usually involving swearing.
And sometimes flipping off the Police instead of just pointing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Payday 2 has your safehouse, which has a gigantic bank vault that fills up with your spendable cash the higher it goes, and racks in the armory room that display your recently-used weapons as well as your most worn masks.

In Fallout 3 you can put all the Vault-Tec bobbleheads you collect on a stand in your various homes throughout the wasteland.

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal has a trophy room where the various collectibles are displayed.

Dying Light sees Crane's apartment at the main safehouse get completely jammed full of poo poo as you do quests (both main and sidequests).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that hasn't been mentioned but I guarantee there are more.
Bully does this too.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Also Alpha Protocol. And the decorations change depending on choices made.
And they have sound clips tied to them!
Michael Thornton :geno:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kazil posted:

Is there a NV mod that removes all the post-apocalyptic stuff and makes you work a desk job for 8 hours at a time? I want that mod.
Close enough?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Haruharuharuko posted:

In one of the sequels it was added don't know if it was 2 or 3 or it was a different amusment park simulator game.
2 was basically 1.5 and 3 was 3D, you could throw kids into lion/tiger dens and such but you still couldn't do that.
Theme Park World you couldn't either.
I want to know where that thing started from.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jehde posted:

vvv This too. I'm sure everyone remembers the helicopter in SimCity 2000 too. Clicking things in building simulation games is my favourite little thing. :allears
:
I like how that could actually start fires :allears:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, overall I liked playing Max Payne 3. It has the problems that everyone (rightfully) complains about, but the shooting was really god damned good.
And then they ignored everything about how good the shooting feels when making GTA 5. :allears:
Seriously, what the gently caress, at the very least why the poo poo isn't Michael's power shoot-dodging?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Something I like about GTA 5 is just how much work they put into Michael responding to the player loving with his family as Franklin or Trevor. Pretty much anything you can do to the rest of Michael's family will get a response from him either via a text or a phone call (or he'll just yell at you if you're hanging out). There is the one everyone knows about where you shoot at his home (STOP FIRING ROCKETS AT MY HOUSE!), but he also calls and tells you you're a dick if you steal his daughter's unique car, texts you to stop creeping around if you hang out in his house when he's not there, and so on. It's great and a bit weird because there's really nothing like that for the other two!
When you finish hanging out with any of the characters they just don't disappear into the air so you can keep following them around. They get increasingly weirded out and annoyed until they finally turn around and 1-hit KO you.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

I ran into Franklin while just driving around as Micheal, and they had a full conversation about the previous mission. Its kind of amazing how much thought they put into GTA5 with things like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Ki6Gx2Pgk

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Stephen Ogg adlibbed a lot of Trevor apparently. He was just able to come up with better stuff than what was in the script.

If you've seen some of his TV appearances Trevor is right up his alley in terms of characters he usually plays.

Hell he was on Better Call Saul as a character you could see as a bit more stable Mr. Philips.
I'd love to see how edgy Trevor was in the non adlibbed script.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I managed to kill people just by ragdolling into people. Or knocked them out. Whatever, they dropped their cash, they're basically dead.
If you ragdoll onto people sitting down you insta-kill them.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Don't know if it counts as a 'little' thing, per se, but I love villains that have motivations beyond "Ho ho ho I am evil and/or crazy". I just beat Infamous: Second Son yesterday, and the fact that the villain of the game truly believes what's she's doing is right is awesome to me.

For those who don't care about spoilers:
Through this game (and it's pseudo-pre-expansion, First Light), you learn of the Department of Unified Protection (the DUP), and how its leader is locking up all the Conduits with special powers behind walls, doing so in a fairly authoritative manner. It looks like she's simply the 'evil authority figure', especially since you play a wise-cracking smalltown delinquent. But in the climactic finale, you discover the reason she's doing all this is for the Conduits' protection: in the years following the emergence of the Conduits, so many died from lynchings, from fear, and from the military. She, a former member of the military herself, made a choice that the only way to keep them safe was to keep them locked away from those who would seek to kill everyone 'different'. I don't agree with her methods, but her reasons behind them...I sympathized with what she was trying to do, and almost disagreed with what the hero of the game, a Hero of Justice in my playthrough, ended up doing (expose her and dissolve the DUP).

So much better than someone who's all "Mweheheh gonna lock you all up and torture you because EVIL!" *twirls mustache*.

If you do/look into the Paper Trail ARG whatever thing that's built into the game it revels more of what's happening in the background of the game.
DUP was in the process of getting shut down so she set up the escape of the prisoners, the MC just got caught up in the middle of it.
Also that one Conduit that died in her care? It was a set up and now she's out assassinating the people that are trying to shut down the department and frame the prisoners/Delsin and keep Conduits looking dangerous so they keep the DUP around because she knows they'd just shoot all the Conduits in her care.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Kind of similar is the military takeover of the mall near the end of the first Dead Rising.

It's a great inversion of the whole military is useless against the zombies idea, although ends up being bad since they're uh, trying to kill/vanish the survivors anyway.
And then the military gently caress it all up in 2 :eng99:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I've been upgrading my FOB nonstop since I set it up about a week ago and haven't gotten a single invasion. I keep my security at highest readiness at all times and don't interact with any of the invasion stuff, so that probably keeps me real low on whatever lists get populated for invasion targets. I don't really know how invasions work.
I had to invade a couple of FOBs before I started to get invaded myself.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

Naga is definitely wrong, play Peace Walker so you can fight monsters and learn how to meow from a cat

E: also go on a date with Miller
My favourite thing about the weird co-op commands is everyone just spams Snake In/Snake Out or Meow Meow Meow, nothing else :allears: There's a good three or so dozen different phrases but why bother?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I know that's supposedly how their programmers work, but that can't apply across the board. :siren:They must have dedicated customer support people, right? :siren:Also, I assume that they don't have accountants and cleaners who just do whatever they feel like. "Oh, sorry about the toilets, I decided I'd just do break rooms and vacuuming from now on."
lol

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So that's what people were flipping their poo poo over? Something most people probably will literally never see?
This part:

quote:

a furry paid $1000 to have his fat dragon fursona put in the game as an enemy
That is literally it.
The internet is full of morons.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Except for the people who never leave weapon-free zones. I vaguely recall there being a bug you can exploit to kill them, but I've never tested it so I don't know if it works reliably. Anyway, it shouldn't count because it's cheating.
You could kill Billie Adams in the start of Invisible War by giving her a shower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-_YcM9ic6M
Apparently it actually killed her dead too. The game would crash when you were meant to meet up with her in other areas.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Inco posted:

The answer is: Tim Follin is a goddamn wizard.
Like the soundtrack to loving Pictionary on the NES of all games :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwh3erQlyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bVrwQxDXc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU0wBHtgycc

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n9Nn-dsjWg

:laffo:

Oh my god, been laughing about a minute straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtb8xqdUBJQ
Can you stack names for a longer title? Can you be Sir Sexy Assface Bastard?

Croccers has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Nov 12, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Fallout 4 really outdid itself compared to past Bethesda games when it comes to the idle animations. I was in a factory earlier and once we cleared the place out Piper leaned on one of the guard rails and looked around, it all looks really neat.

Although I laugh when I see the same drat crafting animation from Skyrim when NPCs use crafting benches.
When I was around in the factory place with Preston he took out a clipboard and pencil and started taking inventory...? :shrug: They're a bit weird at times.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I also surrounded my Drive-In with lovely wire-mesh fences and just stuck turrets in high places. But when attacked it just seemed to spawn the raiders in the middle of the place. :(
I did like how when you remove the barrels from the water the area is no longer radioactive. Look what I did that people for 200 years could do! Move a thing!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

There are also nuclear landmines and a suicide bomber super mutant that runs straight at you with an armed nuke.
These are the only reason I carry Jet on me, so I can snipe that bomb out of their hand.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, I tested it by giving a dude a rifle and a single thing of ammo, pissing him off, and then letting him shoot me until I died.

Testing is still in progress for whether or not they also get unlimited ammo for fat- mans.
Three of my settlers are running around with miniguns and it's great :allears:
One of them keeps stealing my power armours though.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Arctic Baldwin posted:

How many people were buried with their money?
http://burymewithmymoney.com/

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

William Bear posted:

Some role-playing servers have job restrictions for your age. You have to be over 30 to be in a command role, over 25 or so to be a scientist or engineer, etc.

One time, on a role-playing server that didn't have this, the AI had a custom script in comms to state the age of every arriving character. When it notified the station that the new captain arrived and was a 17 year old girl, everyone joked about how unqualified she was.
Jeeze it's like those nerds have never read a Star Trek fanfic. All the best captains are young adults!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
One of the main characters from Tales from the Borderlands in an episode loses his boot.
These are his sock colours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Australian national colours. Used a lot on our sporting uniforms (Along with white stars). 2K Australia worked on Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.