Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQD64PXUBpo&t=187s

Big Boss is gullible as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

swamp waste posted:

I really liked that they used Denver in that game. It's not a place you'd expect Japanese developers to know about, and it even looks plausibly like a futuristic Denver. There's a conspicuous lack of mountains in the distance when you're on the rooftops but otherwise, well done

It's also where you get in swordfights with the Colorado cyborg Highway Patrol.

I love Revengeance a lot.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

In MGS Peace Walker, you can get a bunch of phrases to use in co-ops, from your standard directions and "Enemy sighted!" type thing to one that's just going "meow" a few times. If you say that one to Miller, he goes "Meow? Meow meow meow" right back. :3:

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

SiKboy posted:

That will be how most of your hunting kills will be obtained, running through woods and unexpectedly finding yourself next to stabbable wildlife. I think what they want you to do in that sequence is drop the bait under a tree limb, climb the tree and then death from above bambi, I'm not sure you can even really sneak up on deer in the open in any meaningful way.

The only hunting I ever bothered to do was doing dramatic badass swoopy slow-mo aerial kills. That'll teach you to hop around under trees minding your own business, bunny rabbit.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

In The Walking Dead Season 2, on Carver's desk in his office, there's a mug that says WORLD'S BEST BOSS.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Speaking of MGS, 2 has some awesome little hints early on that something very weird is going on here. When Campbell gives you the rundown on how the Codec works, he uses the exact same speech from MGS1...except once, when he screws up.

Campbell, MGS1 posted:

When you want to use the codec push the Select button. When we need to contact you the codec will beep.

Campbell, MGS2 posted:

When you want to use the Codec, push the SELECT button. When we need to reach you...contact you, the Codec will beep.

There's also places arranged so that they show up on the radar looking exactly like some places in the first. When I first played it, I noticed that and thought it was just a fun little easter egg.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Cute, weird Japanese kids' game Youkai Watch 2 has a museum with a bunch of recognizeable art, including an adorable, pixilated Temptation of Saint Anthony.

(Apologies for the lovely picture.)

1redflag posted:

Is that supposed to be a Lichtenstein in the corner? If so, that's awesome.

That's the guy's name! I couldn't remember and it was bugging me. Knew I'd seen that style somewhere before. There's a bunch of other famous artwork, too. Some art fan must have had a field day filling the place out.

Thinky Whale has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Oct 24, 2014

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

In Valiant Hearts, when you take an item from the dog, Emile pets him and says "Merci." :3:

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Note that you have a limited weight to your carrying capacity, and the people's bodies are both quite heavy. So you have to be really, really dedicated to carrying dead things around in case they come in handy.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

In Dragon Age: Inquisition, your party members will notice and comment on the specialization you choose. If you say you picked the Champion tank class because you want to see your enemies give you their best shot and then laugh in their face, Iron Bull approves :black101:

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Can we all just agree that more games should let you gaybang mustache wizards?

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

I always get mildly bugged when a game has you shooting a billion dudes without a good reason for where they all keep coming from, so I love Call of Juarez: Gunslinger's rationale: it's all according to a cowboy telling stories at a bar. Of course he's going to say he shot a billion dudes.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Making you think you know exactly what you're going to get and then giving you something completely nuts instead is basically Kojima's modus operandi, so at this point I rule out nothing.

In Sunless Sea, I like how the explanation of how you can keep sunlight in a box to sell is "They do it with mirrors."

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

My favorite little Robin Atkin Downes thing is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlQhklDjIs

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I called in a supply drop on my location, then went back to the iDroid to futz around with other Mother Base stuff. Eventually I was kicked out of the iDroid because the supply drop landed right on my head.

I'm not very smart

I did that the very first time Ocelot tells you how to call in supply drops, just to see if you can drop it on your own head.

Just as it knocks your rear end out, Ocelot mentions, "Oh, I forgot to say, careful not to drop it on your own head."

Kaubocks posted:

Is there a way to resupply your stuff without calling one in? Like, I was on Mother Base a didn't really see any way to so I had to call for a supply drop.

Did you waste all your tranq ammo messing with Ocelot? I recommend it!

Thinky Whale has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Sep 2, 2015

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

One of my recruits was assigned the name Hungry Hippo.

Game of the Year.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

There is a great deal of joy to making the logo creator say stupid things. None can stand against the mercenary army of

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

When City of Villains came out, it introduced a new kind of randomly-generated mission: mayhem missions. You'd go into an instanced version of a section of Paragon City, with your objective being to rob a bank, but with a bunch of side objectives like setting fires or busting fellow villains out of jail to add time to the mission clock. One of these side objectives was vandalism: blowing up cars, fire hydrants, cardboard boxes, and so on.

I love the idea of, like, Doctor Doom running around kicking people's mailboxes over.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Sad lions posted:

Given the topic, I have to say that MGS5 inspired me to also go back and play MGS3 and I completely forgot how great the fight with the Fury is.
Basically it's an encounter with a man who uses what I can only describe as the most amazing flame thrower ever. You're forced to try and sneak around getting the jump on him as he turns the dark concrete tunnel/hall into a raging inferno.
It has such an escalation to the fight as it really starts out quite mellow but his fire clings and it's not long before he's lit most of the place up.

He also roasts bats that you can then pick up and eat. MGS3 is the best.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

MGSV minor spoilers about Huey being an rear end in a top hat: One of the things that tips over the realization that Huey is in fact lying about absolutely everything is when he claims he's never seen his kid's face. On the mission when you go to get him, if you look closely at the AI pod that he's using as a hilariously depressing refrigerator door, there's a photo of Strangelove with little Hal.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked how the room Ocelot's interrogating him in is Room 101. Little reminders that Big Boss is the villain you kill in the next game in the timeline.

Ocelot gets a lot of the fun 1984 stuff. Like going "two plus two is five" if you tranq him, and at the very end in the tape conversation about Doublethink, while the subtitles say Adam, in the Japanese audio, Big Boss calls him Julia.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Bertram Weatherby posted:

I just noticed that in the Japanese audio of the Doublethink tape in MGS5, Boss calls Ocelot "Junior" (since he's The Boss' son). It was a nice touch.

Couldn't tell you 100%, but I'm pretty sure, going with the 1984 theme, it's "Julia."

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Bertram Weatherby posted:

http://i.imgur.com/oerCIFi.jpg

ザ・ボスの息子(ジュニア) = Son of The Boss (Junior)

Woah, dang! I've had that completely wrong. Mind blown.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

To Be Or Not To Be, the Hamlet-based text game Ryan North did, has a special font option for dyslexic people. I thought that was neat.

Another neat thing is the ending where you, as Hamlet Sr.'s ghost, solve the problem yourself by making Claudius explode.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

I'm not sure, I haven't tried that yet. I keep getting sidetracked into having undersea ghost exploration adventures or inventing central heating.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Some neat things in The Witcher 3:

• If you leave your horse near a thing full of hay, he'll wander over and start eating it.
  • The things with your Witcher senses have you follow tracks a lot (which they bother to put down in the environment so you can see them with the naked eye, too), but they also get creative about using smell. There's one part where you're looking for some guys who robbed a dwarf, who smacked one with a bottle in the process, so you follow the smell of moonshine.
  • There's a part where you find a blacksmith who's retired and just makes dumplings now. He offers you one, and instead of just automatically going on to talk about swords, you can in fact take a moment to have a dumpling.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Len posted:

Hey man Granstream Saga was fantastic and I won't have you say anything bad about it. No, I haven't played it in almost 20 years why do you ask?

The best part of it was that it fell into an odd place graphically where they could handle 3D models but not putting faces on them, so it starred an entire cast of Slendermen.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

FFXV is ten times better if you imagine the villain is fully aware that he's the only one doing anything to make this plot work.

On the FF topic, XIV has a special model for each helmet with spaces for my catman's kitty ears :3:

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

FFXIV: In the earlier part of the game, you have dinner with an Empress where she gets poisoned and it leads to a bunch of dramatic shenanigans.

A full expansion later, you have dinner with your buddy the elf general guy. When he proposes a toast, your character gives the glasses and bottle a conspicuously long, leery stare.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reminds me of Illusion of Gaia, which goes in some really weird directions. You play as a psychic kid, and there's a section where you participate in a game of "Russian Glass", where two people take turns drinking from cups, one of which is poisoned. Being psychic, you get a warning if you try to drink from the poisoned cup (and if you do it anyway, the game just treats it like dying in a dungeon). Your opponent doesn't have that power of course...and for some goddamn reason when there's only one cup left he insists on drinking it anyway, despite knowing it must be poisoned.

Illusion of Gaia was so wonderfully weird. I love the bit where you're on a raft after a shipwreck, when sharks appear...and just circle around for a while before leaving, because sometimes sharks are just minding their own business.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Venom Snake's job is to keep everyone motivated and horny.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

It's really neat how FFXIV manages to get some remarkably relatable human emotions into the most bugfuck loopy situations. Like, in this latest quest to get your cool ultraweapon, Cid has a moment of talking about the day his dad made a terrible mistake that got a lot of people killed, and how he'd always been haunted by the thought that if he'd just had the perfect logic or said the right thing, he could have talked him out of it.

It turns out the reason his dad did the terrible thing was he was being possessed by a furious dragon god an ancient empire imprisoned in the moon. But who hasn't felt that way some time in their life?

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I love that, when you break it down, the entire scenario is just you knocking back all of the excuses he's put up for himself to not have to confront these terrible memories of his father. First, you fight 'memory antibodies' which are basically just saying 'NO NO NO STOP'. Then a reflection of Bahamut, to represent how big what happened was and how it effectively eclipses any attempt to look into now-passed root causes. And then finally, a reflection of an Imperial officer who was a superior at the time as Cid had spent the whole time since this moment essentially excusing his dad's actions as the fault of higher-ups, and not himself. The thing that really puts it above and beyond for me is just that, under all of the crazy high fantasy stuff, you're just looking at these strikingly human responses to a terrible thing.

Woah, I hadn't even made the connection that that's why Varis is who Cid sees. That's ingenious.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

thecluckmeme posted:

Strangeland has a "puzzle" in which you have to feed a piece of meat to a beast with six mouths, and you can only hold one piece of meat at a time. Meaning you would give the meat, then have to walk back to the guy who gives you the meat, and walk back to fill in the rest of them...

...except instead of making you do it, after you put in the second one as confirmation of "I figured out the puzzle, it's just doing this many times" the game smash cuts back and forth filling in the rest/getting the meat for you. It would have been an extremely tedious puzzle, but instead it cut the tedium to a minimum.

FFXIV does a similar thing to cut out tedium that I appreciate; if you're at a part in the story where the questgiver says, "For this next thing we'll need a groodle, a greeble, and a gribblywang," often your NPC buds will say, "We'll handle the groodle and greeble, and Player, you go get the gribbywang." It makes it feel like the NPCs are actively contributing to things, rather than just having them stand around while the player is the only one who does stuff.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

In odd little free horror game If On A Winter's Night Four Travelers (which is free here , as the lines of what the librarian monster has written get erased, they also visibly vanish on the graphic.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Besides being generally charming as hell, Wandersong has a whole bunch of female characters, both major and background, and I appreciate that a lot.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

It's a neat touch in Baldur's Gate 3 that when a character is in stealth and you click on them, they whisper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

I don't know if it just seems like a lot because other media has so few, but Baldur's Gate 3 has a bunch of speaking roles, major and minor, who are women, and I appreciate that a lot.