Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Adding on to the Pyre love, although in a far less meaningful way.

One of the characters, The Stowaway, doesn't have a set name. Instead, you get to "guess" it, from a selection. Her name is said to rhyme with Grey, and so all the names end with "ae", with each name having a tool-tip that makes some sort of comment. Most of them just kinda go "That sure is a name" but the last one just says "That can't be right, can it?"

The name in question?

Bae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Someone really had fun developing interactions for this leg. :allears:

what game is this i need it in my life yesterday

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

How much money did Peter Parker waste buying all those backpacks?

So, current favourite little thing in Spider-Man is actually exactly this.

In one of the backpacks you find a Science Trophy. Peter mentions that part of the prize was a lifetime supply... of backpacks

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Regardless of anything else, Fallout 4's soundtrack has some real earworms in it. Though I guess that could also count as a negative.

I first played it after a lovely breakup. The End Of The World was my jam. Until she told me to stop playing it (due to intense stupidity we still lived in the same house and I couldn't move out. Neither could she)

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
My favourite little thing about Senua is that one of the sound designers DJs at the local goth night.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I did see Pandemonium in CEX tonight, I may get it some day. It's just £20. So not yet.

Do you accept donations? Because I remember you mentioning wanting to play the ps3 era transformers games that are hard to obtain and I think I have one of them kicking around. UK as well so no chance of region nonsense

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that canonically, within the universe of Dishonored, yeah you give Lady Boyle over and she ends up just completely in charge of her situation. Still not good but definitely looks like the devs kinda walked it back due to how utterly horrifying giving a woman over to her stalker is.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

bony tony posted:

Make them traits! God is that obvious

The problem there is that then you make it a zero sum game. Do you wanna be gay, bi, or better at fighting (the main mechanic by which you interact with the world)

Giving it a mechanical benefit serves to make it more than JUST a role-playing thing that you might not trigger bc you talk to the wrong people. It's a dumb one with a bad reasoning, but attaching a benefit to the choice is a good addition to the mechanic as it is.

The best way to handle it would be to have it as a separate section of character generation, but making it a trait would not be a good step forward.

As for actual thread content:

I could say every thing in Disco Elysium, but for me it's the character who talks pretty much entirely in Scooter references, including a veiled one to their Magnum opus "How Much Is The Fish."

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
it also didn't help that Nuts and Bolts started off with a short segment directly making fun of the idea that anyone would want to play a classic Banjo Kazooie game in a way that was just exceptionally mean and unfunny.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

once again goons can't detect a meter for poo poo.

On topic: In Deathloop, the banter between Julianna and Colt is top notch. Both are spiteful mocking jackasses and it fills the entire game with an infectious "gently caress you!" fun vibe. You're not JUST trying to complete the objectives, you are here to make sure the other person fails miserably.

edit: expanding on this, it means that when you get your rear end handed to you in the multiplayer elements of the game, you don't go away feeling hard done by, you sit there going "oooh motherfucker, you got me good! Next time though..."

Hattie Masters has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Oct 1, 2021

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
From what I remember, they said part of the reason they set up Deathloop like they did was so that if you broke stealth it was an entirely reasonable thing to just fight your way out, unlike in Dishonored where it was easier to just reload a quicksave. Which I find to be a little thing that I love. It's a game that rewards stealth, but doesn't penalise going loud.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

It's only for the dumb achievement. DXHR doesn't penalize you for killing peeps.

Didn't HR give you more XP for stealthy and non lethal methods? Bc that's not even a subtle incentive. Or am I just misremembering?

E:f;b

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

it was a poolball in a sock iirc.

Pool ball with bungee cord drilled through it. To keep it on topic, the Devs actually looked at DIY self defence designs, because it would be in character for the protagonist to do that kinda thing

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Gee Vic is making bad takes in the thread again, what a surprise.

To contribute, I played Back 4 Blood last night, and while I'm not that far in it, the fact that it felt like being back in 2009 with L4D2 was a perfect little thing. Not in terms of gameplay, which is a definite revision and refinement of the formula, but of the sheer fun and excitement of blasting through the zombies.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

boost the stat that ups drop rate as much as you can imo

Which dovetails nicely into another little thing:

The same stat that effects drop rate also effects the speed that you inflict status effects, which can be utterly devastating.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
That reads more like a Nationstates decision than anything I remember from Suzerain

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

"heavy handed"?

No! Undertale was good and interesting because it nailed the tone/expectation! So was Spec Ops: The Whole loving Point.

I'm going to disagree with you here, but not in the obvious way.

I think Spec Ops absolutely was heavy handed and that comparing it to Undertale gives away exactly why.

Undertale's criticisms of gaming and the culture surrounding it hit that much harder, in my opinion, because at almost any point you can stop. You can jump off. You can start over, make different decisions. And the game itself acknowledges and encourages that. The famous boss fight against Sans is so difficult for that reason, in a manner that is literal and stated by the game.

SO:TL has things that work really well, like the bit where shooting over the enemies heads is an actual option as mentioned earlier in this thread. But by trying to have it's cake and eat it, by having those famous loading screen bits, asking the player if they feel like a hero yet, while binding their hands to force them to use the white phosphorus doesn't feel like it's holding a mirror up to its contemporaries. It feels like it's judging me for having the temerity to not just go to the main menu and hit Quit to Desktop.

I've seen Undertale called peachy or, as you said, heavy handed. I'll take that over Spec Ops "Stop hitting yourself!" Bullshit any day

Fake edit: I realise after writing all this that Credburn basically said the same thing but shorter but I haven't slept at all, have work in an hour and a half and this has been a real bugbear of mine for years at this point

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I just collapsed the tower, grabbed the ball as it fell and finished the shrine

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

I'd be using Gale more often but his, uh, condition has proven expensive so I try not to acknowledge him. I gave him a magic item right after a full rest and he didn't make it out of camp before he needed another. Not sure what the timer is on his whole thing but maybe it needs to be tweaked. I like his character and I like his hook but actually playing with him around is a different matter.

Small spoiler but don't worry about it you only need to do it three times

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The joke relies on the word "chest" having two potentially relevant meanings. Sure, Japan has loads of puns, but they'll depend on different words and pairs of meanings. This is why the Dragon Quest translators are so highly-regarded. Those games are chock full of puns, both visual and textual, and the translators have to figure out how to make oftentimes entirely different jokes, without redoing any of the game art.

Famously, Japanese players were briefly convinced there was some sort of secret because of all the messages simply reading "Fort Night", which was just the English language players making a dumb joke

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Isn't Mario from fuckin Brooklyn? Dude knows what a sword is

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man the old Yakuza games just had their own vibe. LAD is very good but not quite the same.

I completely agree with you here, and it kinda makes me sad that LAD has decided to go all in on being a goofy dragon quest, because simply put we have a lot of great turn based RPGs from a lot of sources, but nobody else is doing Yakuza. I'm really glad they did Ishin! And Gaiden because as much as I like LAD, it's just not the same as hitting people with every single bike in Tokyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

Last I checked the Judgement games are gonna be the old school brawlers going forward.

And I'm glad they're there! But for reasons I cannot adequately explain, it just doesn't feel quite the same. But the Fist of the North Star game did. Beats me.