Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Have you guys played Mercenaries? It's like Just Cause 2, but with More intricate faction dynamics. For instance, if you do a mission for the U.N., China will become displeased with you. South Korea will get pissed if you work with the Russian mob and so forth.

Factions also have randomized patrol routes that sometimes intersect with enemies routes, resulting in giant unscripted battles.

It was a Lucasarts game so you could unlock Han Solo and Indiana Jones skins for your character.

Also, every building in the game can be destroyed, including faction headquarters.

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I love that Jensen hates at least one of his coworkers. In fact, the writers did a good job of making the Sarif employees act like they've known each other for a while.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I just picked up Diablo III the other day. One of the witch doctor's attacks is to throw adorable little frogs at his enemies :3:

Also, I love his little head wiggle.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In the first Halo, there is a cut scene where Sarge is playing generic butt rock. Some marine complains about it and Sarge admonishes him because it's his heritage. I always thought that was funny.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I love the fact that when Little Mac ring outs an opponent, a big KO appears on his stat bar.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver, you can let your pokemon follow you in the overworld. If you do this With Krabby he'll scuttle sideways behind you. :3:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 is a prequel game so you see some older characters from the series in their younger years, one of whom you knockout early on in the game. However it's possible to kill him after the cutscene in which case you get a game over and the colonel from the previous games shouting "YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX, NOOOOOOOOOO".

Also whatever camouflage and facepaint you have equipped, in cutscenes Snake will be wearing it which is very :3:

I like to wear the zombie face paint and pretend I'm one of the Misfits.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I've been replaying Mass Effect 2 and I love all the little blurbs for the planets. One of them talks about the legend of an ancient pirate that hid massive amounts of element zero. It says no one had ever actually found any element zero on the planet, and when you scan it there isn't any. But the next planet over is loaded with the stuff.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Okay, before I tear into Mass Effect 3 int the "Dragging this game down" Thread I want to share what I enjoy from it.

-It has better RPG elements than 1 and better Action elements than 2.

-I like the idea that everyone thinks the Protheans were this infinitely wise race that ruled the galaxy by being the most awesome. Then you meet Javik, who tells you that the protheans were an unbelievably brutal people that enslaved every weaker race.

-Motherfucking thresher maw vs. reaper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=916oKSgM0_4

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Singularity was fun, if flawed game. In it, you're given the TMD, an experimental device which allows you to age or regress certain items. The cool thing is you can use it to either age an enemy into dust or "regress" them into gross gooey placenta monsters that will attack their former allies.

It's one of the few FPSs where the main gimmick is actually a viable and fun way to play the game. Plus, you can find it for about five bucks.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In Red Dead Redemption 2 the game will occasionally do the classic western bit where you walk into a saloon and the piano stops and everyone turns to look at you.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm only 2 or 3 hours into Eternal right now. One of the things I love is seeing building sized demons hanging out in the distance amid equally huge wrecked Gundams. No spoilers but I hope I can get into one of those Gundams and gently caress poo poo up.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

When you pull a cacodemon's eye out it makes a popping sound like you just uncorked a wine bottle

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The combat in Ghost Of Tsushima can be tricky for me, but if I can get in the zone even minor encounters feel like you're watching the coolest, most carefully choreographed action set piece from any samurai film.

I really like that they give you a weather changing button. I like to make it rainy or foggy when I'm taking on Mongol camps to make it more dramatic. Then I make it sunny when I'm exploring so I can see those. landscapes in full vibrant color.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

There's an early cutscene where Miles treats moving from Brooklyn to Harlem as if he's moving to another state, which is the most New York thing ever written.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Miles Morale is absolutely a smaller game than PS4 Spider-Man but it really helps that Miles is such a genuinely awesome character. The decision to go away from "helping the police" to "has his own app which he uses to help people in need" is a small but inspired choice because it makes Miles genuinely feel more like a people-person and even though he's protecting New York as a whole it helps emphasize that he's a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

The one thing I was really worried about MIles Morales was if it was going to go as hard on the copaganda as in the 2018 game, especially considering who Miles' dad was. I'm really glad they're basically a non-entity this time around. I loved 2018, but it's whole "Our boys in blue" thing was corny when it was released and only came off worse when I replayed it a few weeks ago. Although it was weirdly prescient considering the third act of the game was A city government begins a violent fascist crackdown on innocent protesters while a super lethal virus is destroying the population

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can't imagine anyone has ever opted to play as Whatever Her Brother's Name Is

It's not my fault, no one told me! Joking aside, is Valhalla any good? I'm buying it for my brother for Christmas and I'm thinking of just buying two copies.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm liking it a lot, but jumping straight in from fast combat games like Odyssey was kind of a mistake. The constant stream of new weapons and armor is gone, and the combat seems much slower and weightier with stuff like dodging and heavy attacks depending on a stamina meter that you fill by doing light attacks or backing off. Not an objectively bad thing, but definitely some mental whiplash if you go in expecting more of the same system.

Thanks! I'll remember to play as the lady this time too

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

SPOILERS: In Valhalla there's a side quest where you meet a woman living in the sewers and you have to find a bunch of eggs for her, whereupon her farts become so rancid that they drift up to the street and make everyone throw up from how rancid they are

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Eivor's finishers are metal as all Hell and I love the variety of kill animations they give him. I'm 50 hours in and I'm still finding new ones.

Is there any explanation what that ghost dimension thing AC protagonists go to when they kill major enemies is?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In Valhalla, there's a musician with a Prodigy haircut who needs you to deal with a local holy man who won't let him play is his music. Once you beat him up, the musician starts singing "Smack My Bishop"

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I always wonder why hair tends to look like rubber wigs. For some reason beards look good half time and the other half it looks airbrushed on their face.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

hell yeah some of GTA IV's animation stuff I've only seen matched/beaten in The Last of Us 2

When I first played IV I made Nico walk up and down the stairs like 20 time. I just blew my mind that he would reach out and grab the banister.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

It's baffling that Chrono Trigger isn't on the SNES Classic or Switch

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

As bad as Arkham Knight's batmobile sections are, there's something satisfying about watching it absolutely tear through the scenery. It gives me Red Faction Guerilla vibes.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Coming back to Odyssey after Valhalla, all the sailing and ship customization stuff just feels so much more epic. It was alright in Valhalla, but it surprised me in how tiny it felt when you were out raiding around with your Viking squad.

Same here! I think it also helps that ancient Greece feels so much more vibrant that medieval England. Although that could be because I was a big Greek mythology nerd growing up.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Goddamn ACO being 60$ still

Yeah it seems like Ubisoft doesn't mark down their older games; Watch Dogs was the same way. It doesn't make sense to me. Plenty of people wait for the price to drop. If it was $20- as it should be at this point- you'd probably have 100 people buying it for every one who is still willing to pay $60.

Either way, you're better off ordering a used physical copy online.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

haveblue posted:

I remember a lot of the batmobile content being optional, so just getting to the end is pretty fun but 100%ing all the challenges would make you want to kill yourself

You need to solve almost 250 Riddler puzzles to take him down. He can go on his little rampage in his mech suit for all I care

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

When you kill a dragon in Skyrim you can see its burning corpse on the world map

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Rockstar lost me with RDR2. Feeding/cleaning your horse, bathing yourself, cutting your hair, etc all felt like chores. This may be a hot take, but I felt the little details were a cynical way to increase word of mouth advertising rather than anything that enhances your gameplay experience. Like no one in their right mind would notice if your horses balls shrink in cold weather, but it feels like a wacky detail to add to a "10 Insane Details You Missed In RDR2" YouTube video.

Anyways I'm playing FF7 Remake and I came across this cutscene: https://youtu.be/u31uURkbpdY

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I like how they changed how power armor works in 4. Collecting the pieces, customizing them, and finally taking a fully optimized suit out is pretty gratifying.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

While I appreciate all the work put into the surrounding content, it still feels pretty grody to have to actively spec into being gay (or bi!) the same way you spec into big guns or energy weapons. ...And actually in general the mechanics of "you're a gay guy so you do +10% damage to guys"....also feels really weird to me?

What's weird about that? That's what things are like for me.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I love how much inspiration Village takes from 4. The Duke even occasionally asks "what're ya buyin,?"

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

VILLAGE SPOILERS: I feel like Beneviento's section could be in the Dragging This Game Down thread if not for the big fetus monster Jesus Christ...

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Apparently Mass Effect 3's remastered version does away with multiplayer. They rebalanced the Galactic Readiness system so you can get the "good" ending just from side quests.

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 11:05 on May 15, 2021

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

Apparently Mass Effect 3's remastered version does away with multiplayer. They rebalanced the Galactic Readiness system so you can get the "good" ending just from side quests.

I had no idea so many people loved ME3's multiplayer. I thought it was a needless chore.

In the spirit of unpopular Mass Effect opinons, lemme give you one more:

I like the Mako from ME1. It should've been included in 2 and 3.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Cleretic posted:

In Mass Effect 2 you get access to a weapon type by just finding it in the Collector ship, so maybe it's an Alliance standards thing. You're only allowed to be good at certain weapons depending on your class, so Shepard pretends to be bad with everything else until a certain point in ME2 when they're pretty sure nobody's enforcing that anymore.

Hey sometimes you just don't tell people you can do (x) because if you do it once your boss starts to think of you as the designated (x) guy.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Legion's dossier is great too. They're a gamer (gamers?) who keeps getting banned because other people keep reporting them as a bot.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So I just saw a TikTok of how different God Of War 4 Kratos' design is from GOW1-3. I just realized that 4's Kratos actually looks like an ethnically Greek person. Original trilogy Kratos looks kinda creepy in retrospect because he looks more like the Aryan ideal crossed with a gym rat who listens to too much Staind/ Puddle Of Mudd. I guess this goes in the positive thread for finally showing some level of diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So I just beat Ghost Of Tsushima a second time. I feel like there was a quest that ends in a cave behind a waterfall where you have to duel a guy and you get a special move. I remember the waterfall was behind a town or temple? The thing is I can't find it this time around. Does anyone else remember this? Did I just dream it?