Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Prrrrrrrrrrooooooobably a cheater/hacker

Anyone that is a top scorer on an online leaderboard is a hacker. Without fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

My computer probably would've just barely been able to run Friday the 13th so it's one of the driving reasons why I'm just going to build a new computer entirely instead of just replacing my dead HDD.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The Jason animations are so good from the streams that I've watched. I wonder how much it cost them to get Kane Hodder to do mo-cap because it was worth every dollar.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

I remember hearing that the game wasn't going to ship with singleplayer, so I shelved my massive, massive Jason hype. Is that true, or just some old news/bullshit?

They're patching in single player in the summer. It actually didn't even reach that stretch goal in the kickstarter but I guess the game being a massive success made them decide to pull the trigger on it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Nuebot posted:

PC lacks good monster raising games unless you're willing to emulate something like Monster Rancher, Jade Cocoon, or Dragon Warrior: Monsters.

Siralim has enough features to scratch that itch but it's leaning more towards SMT than those that you mentioned.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I love the fact that in Suikoden 2, using a combination of the Wizard rune (half magic defense but 1.5 times magic attack) and the Blue Gate rune (non elemental damage but has a powerful fourth level spell that hits everyone) allows me to accidentally oneshot my entire back row because the damage it deals to my party is three times the base damage that it's supposed to do.

edit: Another little thing, Oulan is almost the best character in the game that isn't a broken bonus character. She's possibly the tankiest character in the game, a heavy hitter once berserk and you can recruit her almost literally after you unlock the castle.

Testekill has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Jun 10, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

18 years on and I'm still discovering stuff in Suikoden 2. The two fencer characters have a rune that deals double damage but with an accuracy decrease; their rune actually has an alternative attack with a different animation that deals triple damage. In the years that I've been playing Suikoden 2 that has never occured for me until today.

edit: Something that I really do appreciate is that there are only a handful of characters in Suikoden 2 that are unusable. Considering there are about 60-70 characters that you use in the regular battles, it's nice that using characters other than the top tier ones isn't artificially handicapping yourself.

Testekill has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Jun 12, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I'm playing Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble (the game with the eye lasers) on my PSP and I love the talking smack feature. If you gently caress it up and say something incomprehensible then you get smacked and the guy screams at you for being an idiot; however if you say something that makes sense then the guy you're talking to will generally give off a funny retort.

edit: You can dress up in a banana suit and the game still acts like you're a badass delinquent. It's like Wei being the worst cop

Testekill has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Jun 17, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

:stare:

What is that from?

Saboteur

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

And of course it's MisterBibs because of loving course it is.

I don't know what to think of Bibs thanks to Poes law. Is he a parody or just that clueless and obnoxious?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I'm still bummed that Semi-FPS Turn-based Strategy RPG's never really took of as the Valkyria Chronicle sequels got shunted off to the dying PSP with a healthy dose of literal anime high-school drama. It was a cool addition to a genre which still feels like it's just mostly bumbling together elements from past Fire Emblem games and XCOM with nothing else really being even tried anymore. There's so much that could be tried but there's just no ambition on the developer side.

There's a sequel that's coming out soon but it's console exclusive at this point in time.

edit: I do suggest trying out VC3 as that is probably the best story and characterization wise.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The sequel is unfortunately a mediocre action RPG missing everything that made the old games good.

Jeez, that's disappointing. They do know that people liked VC because there is nothing like it on the market from a gameplay perspective right?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

scarycave posted:

In Dissidia, Exdeath has a small chance of screaming "Turtle!" during his ex burst.
What about him screaming 'get the fruit' all the drat time.

Oh hey, here's a favorite little thing from Final Fantasy. Gilgamesh is consistently great once they decided that it's the same character that pops up in every game.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So this is due to using a randomiser but my copy of Pokemon Emerald replaced Rayquaza with Lotad, Kyogre with Anorith and Groundon with Seedot. There's something amazing about the legendaries being replaced with trash mons.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Hot Take: All industrial metal sounds the same especially from the late 90's.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

synthetik posted:

How's the GoT Telltale series? It's free this month on PS+

Worth playing at that price?

It's bad, it's peak 'your choices don't matter'

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

rumble in the bunghole posted:

There's such a density of stuff in the city of baldur's gate as well, by the time you find the base you've probably had 5 assassins, found the loving basilisk warehouse, pissed off 3 wizards, got poisoned and decided against taking 3 different companions because they all suck by that point.

It says it all that the BG1NPC Project mod lets you make Quayle, Tiax, Eldoth & Alora to locations that you can actually get to within the first hour. Granted none of them are stellar but that mod also unlocks Cloakwood early so Coran & Faldorn are accessible.

edit: Ain't nothing making Skie worth a poo poo though.

Testekill has a new favorite as of 11:06 on Jul 26, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

in the terrible interactive fiction game Heroes Rise (there's an LP of it here I think) you can custom name both your favourite colour and the lyrics to your favourite song, which would be inscribed on your parents' wedding rings in a touching reveal

cue my character firing energy beams coloured "some kind of gay mauve" and brooding on a moonlit rooftop about his responsibilities while taking solace for the immortal words of love "my mammal sauce is the best mammal sauce, I spread mammal sauce on my wang"

Oh boy, my message on the ring was 'get hosed you loving fuckwit, you can't move into my house' if only because it's from an actual song and because it's such a mouthful.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

scarycave posted:

If there had to be one companion, I'd take Dogmeat over Nick any day. He is such a good boy.
Being able to dress Dogmeat is the best thing of any Fallout game.

Of course it would of been nice had Bethseda actually been able to implement taking dogmeat and another follower with you like they planned (I think?) - that way you could have your dog in goggles thrashing a teddy bear on one side of the room, and Nick roasting The Brotherhood of Steel on the other.

So they just didn't think of asking Obsidian how they did being able to take a humanoid companion & robot or dog?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Chrono Trigger came up in the negative thread earlier and it reminded me of one of my favorite things (in a game full of favorite things): one of Aela's combo techs with Crono is basically the Fastball Special. I think it's called Falcon Throw. Anyway, since Aela is a cavewoman, she doesn't bother with fancy poo poo, she just picks up Crono and hurls him at the enemy.

And the best part is that while Crono is in mid flight she stands there and does a little jig. :3:

Suikoden 4 & 5 have a combo attack where one character grabs the other by their ankles and just start swinging them around in circles before throwing them at the enemies. Considering the combo attacks got really lazy in 4 and 5, it's an unexpected bit of charm that 4 was severely lacking.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

RaspberryCommie posted:

I think that's one of the little things I like about Suikoden 3 for instance.

One of three main characters is female and she looks like this:

for most of the game.

She does get out of her armor for part of her chapters but even then she dresses like this:

It might not have been the best Suikoden but I still love it.

It's great that the Suikoden character designs are generally sensible and grounded but then you get to Jeane and that gets thrown out the window.
Her least ridiculously revealing outfit is a black evening dress with a gigantic boob window. Maybe that's why we'll never get Suikoden 6, they're unable to think of an outfit that wouldn't be obscene.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

My favourite little thing in the computer video game Timesplitters Future Perfect: everything in it.

"Time to split!"

It's so loving good. I don't have anyone to play it with but the story mode is so tightly designed and it's still one of the best multiplayer console FPS' even more than a decade after release.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I tried to play the original Timesplitters but it seemed a bit crap. It felt aimless, like "Go to this pyramid and... fight guys I guess..." Never tried Future Perfect as a result.
Edit: OK, I've started playing Second Sight and it's fairly interesting so far, just got to the third level, escaping the lab after the tutorial. The controls aren't bad, just different. Also I played most of Psi-Ops but got stuck at the Pyro woman as was never able to beat her.

The original Timesplitters was pretty aimless yes. 2 was when each level had individual stories for them & the player characters had more personality while 3 had a big overarching story with Cortez.

Cortez is the biggest goober, everybody no sells him when he yells "TIME TO SPLIT" since that's his catchphrase.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

More games should have this feature tbh

MGSV lets you tell your horse to take a poo poo and it can make cars crash.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

This is gibberish.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh thank god I thought I was having a stronk.

No, it's just FAAROOQ

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Someone really had fun developing interactions for this leg. :allears:

It's great to see how often certain WRPGs have these tiny interactions coded in that hinge on just this one thing. It's like the opposite of :effort:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

ALCOHOLISM DESTROYS FAMILIES!

Seriously though I'm not sure how Torgue's voice actor managed to stay on maximum attack mode for however long it took to record all his lines.

Because the voice isn't that far away from Mister Satan which is his most famous role

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I really like the dynamic music in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, basically the bosses have their own music and when you do certain moves or get to certain points the music changes in certain ways and it's super fun even if the music is super dorky and cheesy.

Additionally the lyrics actually do relate to the characters and give the bosses characterisation. It's such a neat thing going on for it and I wish more action games would do something like it also.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

It's mostly the roms you run in an emulator that are the issue

It's the Bios that's the issue. Dolphin doesn't include the bios so people can distribute the emulator without problems.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

U.T. Raptor posted:

They put an amazing amount of work into the dialog for Dragon Ball: Xenoverse. There's a ton of character combinations that get unique dialog (one I encountered recently was Cell getting mad at Cell Jr. for fighting him), your mentor has something different to say for every possible grade you could get on a mission, and a lot of characters have special dialog for your created character depending on their race.

"I WOULD TOTALLY HUG YOU IF THAT WAS A THING THAT I DID"

Damon Clarke had so much fun voicing Cell in XV

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So I've been playing Temple of Elemental Evil and have been frustrated by a few things. However one thing that I really like is that I'm still getting encounters (whether scripted or otherwise) that are a threat to a full party of 8 at about level 6. It's nice to be playing and to not either completely steamroll everything or to have no real feeling of power.

Except Groaning Spirits. Those motherfuckers can die in a ditch with their crazy magic resistance, hp draining attacks and AOE ability that causes fear.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Phy posted:

I only ever had the platformer for the regular Genesis, and that was great, because you could play as Grant or a loving velociraptor. (Try and guess what 90% of my playtime was.)

I don't remember much about The Lost World on the PSX... except for the Dreamworks splash screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyl77NjhqiM

I had a Mega Drive as a kid and there were three games that my sister and I would play all the drat time. Road Rash, Columns & Jurassic Park. I never got far into Jurassic Park but it was a really cool game

Testekill has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Dec 14, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm still saddened they weren't able to get No One Lives Forever because the rights are a giant mess between Fox and Warner Brothers.

Yeah sadly NOLF is such a gigantic clusterfuck that it would be a goddamn miracle for NightDrive to secure the rights. Which is a shame because it's up there with my favorite FPS's.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I just picked up Heat Signature today and I can't even explain just how effortlessly cool it makes you feel. There's something just really rad about taking out an assassination target by exploding a fuel tank or shattering a window and sucking everyone in the general vicinity out into space.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The best thing about Saints Row is that 4 lets you have Julius and VICE PRESIDENT KEITH DAVID as your homies.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Man, I wish I could actually afford a current gen console.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Backbreaker is a pretty bog standard American Football game except for one thing; it's powered by the Euphoria engine and that means that every tackle and hit causes opponents to ragdoll in pretty amusing or brutal ways. It's a shame that the series never caught on

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Just like real life! Crows will remember mean researchers on college campuses and get all their friends to loving mob them when they're in the area.

Actually true of most birds in the Corvidae and Cracticede families.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Ion Maiden looks loving rad.

Yeah I'm planning on buying it soon because it looks sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

There was an incredible doomwad where you and another player where ina crowd of like 2,000 plus civilian sprites all moving and doing things and each of you has a pistol with one bullet and is trying to kill the other. If you used a device to ping the other player it told them where you were too.

Is there a video of it on youtube? That sounds like a loving blast