Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

In Sleeping Dogs, it gives you slowmo whenever you do a cool thing. Finish the last dude in a big fight? Ramp your motorcycle off an incoming car on the highway? Dive out of your car firing wildly at anyone you see? You are a Cool Dude, and you are rewarded with slowmo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

anuj posted:

I loved Mercenaries so much. Everything about the first one was just so goddamn fun. I think two of the three playable characters spoke a different foreign language too, so you would get subtitles for one faction but not the other.

All three characters understand one non-English language. Big burly black dude speaks Korean, scary Swedish dude speaks Russian (and presumably Swedish, but it's never spoken in game so who cares), British&Chinese lady speaks Mandarin. When going to a meeting where that language is spoken, you get subtitles if you've got the right character. The best part is that none of the people in the meetings know you understand, so you can sometimes learn their secrets and stuff.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^ This is the good things thread, not the bad things thread.

Content: I love the incidental lines the Little Sisters have in Bioshock 2. It's nice to electrocute a splicer and hear "It's dancing, Daddy, dancing!" :3:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Far Cry 3 is the best Assassin's Creed game ever. Sneaking through the jungle and using your eagle vision magical camera to keep track of all the dudes and then shanking them with your hidden blade machete is so much fun.

It's a shame the story is balls, but the gameplay definitely makes up for it. Also the co-op campaign is tons of fun.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Far Cry 2, which never gets enough love, was amazing with its fire as well.

I don't think I'll ever be able to choose which I like more of Far Cry 2 or 3, but 2 wins out in the fire. It spreads well in 3, but in 2 it took into account wind direction and what the weather had been like lately and that would affect the spread.

I remember one time I got in a fight in a grassy plain when it hadn't rained for a bit - I blew up an enemy jeep, which started a nice little fire. Then I laughed at the bad guys panicking about the big blaze coming at them. Then I panicked at the loving firestorm raging towards me. The amount it grew in the span of a few seconds was incredible, and it really stuck with me.

And that's when I started checking the wind and using the flare gun to burn out checkpoints :unsmigghh:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

How is that even remotely a spoiler?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Angry cosmonaut is still my favorite Metal Gear Solid boss. He didn't have much personality but I'll forever read his helmet as saying BEN.

My favourite little thing in MGS3 is when he says "I CAME BACK FROM SPACE"

(also p. much everything else in that game)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:agreed: Humanity leaving earth because we hosed it up too bad in a massive fuckoff war is a lot more compelling than humanity leaving earth for some reason and then aliens loving it up. Also that way the reveal of the Nomads (spoilers for a 13 year old game) is actually sort of a twist, instead of just finally getting to a plot point that was put in the intro.

Content: I like how you can play Fallout New Vegas as a murderous sociopath and still have a great reputation and high karma. So long as nobody actually sees you slit all those sleeping people's throats, everyone still thinks you're alright. I am the Saviour of the Wastes and I will murder any non-named sleeping person I feel like and everybody loves me.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

Cornering the single gay kid in school and making out with him for an entire day to get the achievement :cool:

There are multiple gay/bi dudes in Bully. At least one in each clique, I think.

Bully is a great game, you can intentionally fail to do a flip while riding a bike, and it will launch the bike flying. One time I hit a cop car with my flying bike and didn't get in trouble.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

In Kingdom of Loathing, typing /friends in the in-game chat will check to see if any of your friends are online.

You can also do it by typing /romans or /countrymen

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Aithon posted:

- status effects are not random. Enemies and allies have a set amount of ailment resistance that works like hit points, and usually you can get through it in one of two infliction attempts.

You know how sometimes you read about a feature in a game and think "that's such a better way of doing it, everything should do it this way from now on"? This is one of those times for me.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

KoL thread is here, but it's not very active.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^especially if they break it into subcategories.

Story/100%
Collectibles/100%
Sidequests/100%

Give me more numbers when I do things

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

re: The Magic Circle, it's one of the titles in this incredible bundle: https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

(like seriously, Celeste and Night in the Woods and Nuclear Throne and The Magic Circle alone would be an incredible deal for $5)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

brain in a human-shaped jar, fighting along his dog-shaped robot buddy

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i like how, in Hades, if you pause while in the third biome it plays only the rad proggy bassline so you can just jam to that for a while

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sally posted:

link me! i like proggy basslines in video games

https://supergiantgames.bandcamp.com/track/rage-of-the-myrmidons

e: oh wait that's not the one but it's still rad, and i think someone linked the right one already anyway

quote:

Korb described the genre of the Hades soundtrack as "Mediterranean Prog-Rock Halloween"

biosterous has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Jan 30, 2021

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

you can step onto a pit trap with poisoned spikes on turn one, that's not so fair :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

oh gently caress yes, this will be a great reread, thank you!!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Morpheus posted:

That world with the massive red sun in the sky is my favourite, it's the thing that always comes to mind when I think about Mass Effect. Don't care about the lovely BioWare writing or sexy blue wish fulfillment aliens, give me those vast space landscapes.

Edit: And the planet descriptions, especially ones that are just like 'there are some massive structures under the surface of this planet, we have no idea what the gently caress they are' or 'there were reports of large unidentified shapes in this gas giant, but when approached they sunk deeper into the atmosphere and no one ever found out what they were', like that's the stuff I love in space opera, weird interstellar mysteries that don't revolve around the player.

yeah, i like that mass effect 1 was more star trek for the side stuff, just bumbling around and finding cool poo poo

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sally posted:

also playing Mankind Divided. i like Jensen is a man of the people and takes the subway train and that the loading screen between the two hub areas is him just chilling amonst other people.

and later on when the police curfew goes up and the subways stop running, the loading screen is him walking down the empty subway tunnels

if you get on the back of the train in the augs section, you just chill and nobody cares, and if you get on the front in the non-augs-only section citizens will be giving you the sideeye and cops will hassle you when you get off

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh BRO!

Jump in,throw refrigerator across room,rifle through drawers,steal everything,hack computer,read sensitive information,bounce out the window like a loving flea.

Bonus points if you gently caress up the room then put everything back but just sliiightly the wrong way.

all doors must be blocked by refrigerators, this is the adam jensen law

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Should I have just said "its bad" and moved on?

yes

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

started playing ac: odyssey and in addition to all the things people have mentioned a million times (it's a good game yo) i appreciate how much more fun it became once i realized i could change the controls so i didn't have to use the shoulder buttons to attack.

i'm old and light attack must be X and heavy attack must be Y and dodge must be A, there is no other way

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

Comedy option: dynamite gun cruiser, like the USS Vesuvius.

What is a dynamite gun, you ask? A huge air-powered dynamite barrel launcher. A gigantic potato gun with explosive projectile. No gunpowder, no flash, no roar.

if this is added to the game it would also mean the addition of a good THOOMP sound so it's got my vote :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I went and checked the SFX site I have a subscription to for potato gun sounds, but all I could find was foley involving actual potatoes :(

https://www.soundsnap.com/mechanism_grenadelauncheroomphtonal_001_wav

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

far cry 5 solved the problem where you do a bunch of side content and then all that's left in the plot missions in an empty-feeling world, by making it so doing any side content fills up a meter and at points along the meter it triggers a plot mission

also having the protagonist be silent is a billion times better than jason brody in 3, and several times better than fine-but-bland ajay ghale from 4

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

following the kirby design rules for this mechanic is cool and good, new power = new hat owns

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

actually the best hurk is in the mars dlc for fc5, where he's stuck in a robot following you around and he's just telling stories about what a dumb himbo manbaby he is

hurk going "haha yeah i put bombs on monkeys" in fc3 sucks
hurk in fc5 mars going "yeah i went to laser tag and i got lost and cried, also this was my 30th birthday" rules, ditto his reasoning of "with great power comes great responsibility, i am very powerful (check out my massive strong thighs), ergo i am very responsible"

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

90% of far cry 3's goodwill can be attributed to michael mando's performance as vaas

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

gohuskies posted:

No, it was also legitimately a lot more fun to pay than Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 had some interesting elements but ultimately too much stuff that just wasn't fun - FC3 was a big improvement in gameplay.

i also enjoyed playing far cry 3 a bunch

but much more than that, i enjoyed michael mando's performance

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

PYF Big Thing in Games : Michael Mando

:haibrower:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

credburn posted:

What is Boatman?

the real answer: someone typed boatman instead of batman, and it was good

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Philippe posted:

Not quite. The first time he was out vigilante-ing he got very hurt, and coming back to Wayne Manor he sat awhile to brood before calling on Alfred to stitch him up. In that moment, a large boat crashed through his window, making Bruce realize that criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot, and he would need to be a symbol of something larger than himself in order to succeed.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Piglet's Big Game

oh i played this one! you have to attack the scenery to smack cookies out of it

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

rip ken block :(

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

something that probably originated in the tabletop but i first encountered in total warhammer: the best last name: Cylostra Direfin

she's a not-french opera ghost pirate, with a magic murder voice, and "dire fin" sounds nice and pirate-y! but she's not-french and uses the french pronunciation, so her name is actually two french words and can be translated as "say [the] end", or "endspeaker" or anything else rad along those lines

it is great to see a character with a name that is thematically fitting both in the language of the system and in the language of her faction

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Nope! She was the first legendary lord made up completely by Creative Assembly and never existed in the tabletop! She's been followed by Kostaltyn, Miao Ying, and Zhao Ming in TW3.

well then, kudos to CA!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

credburn posted:

By "first mission" do you mean... escaping the parking garage?

that is indeed the secret bonus challenge in driver sf

iirc it's one of maybe two that i never beat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Lobok posted:

I don't even have the game but I think this is rad. Baldur's Gate 3 has poutine! (And apparently some other favourite dishes as this commenter says.)

i am baffled that the quebec studio ok'd the description just saying "cheese" instead of "cheese curds"

if it doesn't use cheese curds it's not poutine, it's just delicious cheesy gravy fries, and i would to have some thanks