Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Screaming Idiot posted:

This should be required reading for anyone who likes MGR:R's music. The game does a masterful job of making the music enhance the story while reinforcing just how badass and hosed-up everything is.

Let your country control your soul
LET YOUR COUNTRY CONTROL YOUR SOUL

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I can't say I honestly enjoyed any of the Saint's Row game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I tried to play Saints Row 2 but the gameplay was just so incredibly poo poo I never made it through. It was funny though for sure. I didnt care much for 3 and 4. They were too silly, so much that I didnt care about the characters or what was going on anymore.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ignite Memories posted:

poo poo, was I supposed to care about the characters?

I was too busy playing hulk: ultimate destruction with a dubstep gun and infinite hovertanks.

I think games are better when they're partially grounded in reality, but I'm sorry I didn't like your game.

E: Honestly the biggest issue I had with SR4 were the superpowers, which I found really boring most of the time and the idea that it's set in a virtual world. Part of the fun with doing ridiculous poo poo is that it's supposed to be real in the game, when you tell me that none of this destruction matters, nothing's real then how am I supposed to give a poo poo?

Austrian mook has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Jan 26, 2015

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cleretic posted:

It actually does matter, they provide explanation for that. The explanation's pretty early, but the payoff isn't: The simulation doesn't have infinite reserves, and it's already being put to the test by having to keep the Boss contained. The mayhem you cause in the simulation not only allows Kinzie room to fill the alien mothership with viruses, it forces them to push even more resources from other systems into keeping you from causing immense damage.

The final missions involve you finally crashing the simulation, which is a system so integral to the mothership's computer that it takes down most of the ship's essential processes.

That definitely helps, but I loved driving around in 2 and 3 and causing wanton destruction and it didn't really feel the same in 4.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Basically every single character in Punch Out!! (Wii). They've all got their remixed version of the punch out theme, most of them incredible and even though they're all based on cultural stereotypes, they're just silly and fun instead of offensive. Aran Ryan particularly stands out as really great.

E: They also all speak their proper languages. Glass joe speaks french, etc. Really great touch.

Austrian mook has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Feb 1, 2015

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Boss had a pretty good reason for the outfit though; (BIG BIG SPOILERS) martyring yourself doesn't really work if you're being quiet and hidden from the general eye.

just use spoiler tags, dude.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ryoshi posted:

Did I fall through a portal to 2005 or are some idiots seriously butthurt about cosmetic DLC in 2015? Jesus Christ.

something being old-guard doesn't make it any less lovely, dumbass.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ryoshi posted:

Sorry you have to pay a few dollars to play dress up with your digital dollies, sperglord.

"a few dollars" :bravo:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

moosecow333 posted:

I will never understand how someone can look at a game like this and go 'yeah, this needs more realistic food brands in it'

I guess it has something to do with my immmeeerrrssiiooonn

Seriously? Historical accuracy is something to be mocked and ridiculed now? Whats next, legions of posters mocking people who ask for a game to control well? Have a save system?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ryoshi posted:

I too long for historical accuracy in my goofy RPG about shooting giant mutant scorpions and nuclear powered cars.

Who the gently caress cares? Realism as a complaint only matters when its making gameplay concessions to do so. Does the change affect the player in anything but a positive way for the people who would appreciate it? Who are you to tell people what not to enjoy.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ryoshi posted:

I'm not telling you not to enjoy it, I'm pointing out the sheer absurdity of what you posted. But if realism is what you're looking for maybe you should spend more time with Train Simulator? It should be up your alley.

Good one. Insult me because you can't win the argument because you have no points. Im sorry that not everyone is a robot and exactly the same as you.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ArtIsResistance posted:

yeah making fun of spergs isn't what something awful is about

Normal person: hey, they added in some real brands from the 50s. That's pretty cool!
Goon: loving sperg. Piece of poo poo human being, I'm way better than you are for enjoying that.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ryoshi posted:

Whenever Austrian mook posts I briefly consider donating money to some autism charity but I never actually do.

Yeah, autism is hilarious. Ever consider having a little goddamn sympathy rear end in a top hat?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

This is the only reason I still own a PS3. I can't believe they haven't ported it to PC yet.

playing Red Dead makes my PS3 make really loud noises. Doesn't happen with any of my other games.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Ubisoft absolutely doesn't give a poo poo anymore, if they ever did. All their games are the same repackaged poo poo made to meet their bottom line.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Goddamnit people all I wanted was a pedantic derail about how lenin Actually Wasnt That Bad and you guys took it at face loving level because you know nothing about anything other than video games.

I dont give a fck about rear end creed i want to talk about dark souls 1, the best game in the souls series.

Shut the gently caress up

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Are there really people who have played every AC game?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RareAcumen posted:

There are people who have played every Kingdom Heart and/or Final Fantasy game.

I'd rather play almost any Final Fantasy then any given Assassins Creed game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

littleorv posted:

Final Fantasy sucks rear end

Firstly, no. Secondly, even the worst FF has to offer is better than Assassins loving Creed. Idiot.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I played through all of AC2 and what a loving massive mistake. I love renaissance Italy as a setting but now were not going to get a game that does it justice. gently caress Assassins Creed. Literally the worst video game franchise to have mainstream success... possibly ever frankly.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm a big fan of all of the SNES Final Fantasies and im a huge fan of X also, for some reason.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Internet Wizard posted:

One of my favorite little things about Final Fantasy X is that I accidentally took one of the best naps of my life during one of the boss battles

What one? X actually has the best gameplay in the entire series by a mile.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Internet Wizard posted:

I dunno, the dude with the dumb blue hair.

I gave up after that. Tried XII later and never fell asleep playing that one so that seems to have been the better game!

That's Seymour. FFX is one of the best RPG's ever made.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

AH. HAH. HAH. HAH!

AH. HAH. HAH. HAH. HAH!

FFX has great gameplay, but it has some really bad writing issues.

FFX has a good plot

E: Hell, the writing is better than most any other RPG

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm actually playing FFX for the first time right now. I love the levelling system, but anyone who thinks the story is good better let me know when that's supposed to start being true, because I'm 12 hours in and it's a terrible story. The actual dialogue is passable, but the story is just ugh.

What about it do you have a problem with?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tidus has no "story", all he's doing is hanging off Yuna's adventure until he can find dear old Dad, it outright jumps from one zone to another with a handwave that you're expected to accept at face value with no explanation, and Tidus is a fundamentally whiny little pissant most of the trip.

No, he absolutely has a story. In fact, he's the only FF protaganist to go through genuine character development and dare I say an arc aside from like, Cecil I guess. It's Yuna's story, but she can't be the protaganist of the game for hopefully obvious reasons.

Catpain Slack posted:

lovely minigames though. gently caress lightning dodging, gently caress blitzball and especially gently caress that seagulls catch-the-balloons chocobo race.

I don't really mind blitzball, but all of those are optional mostly and yeah they do suck.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Zanarkand is Magitek, isn't it?

FFX has an entire desert island, Bikanel. The destruction of a city leads to Wakka's infamous "Boom, Like Happy Festival Fireworks" when trying to cheer someone up while they watch the destruction of their home.

Spheres of stuff (Water?) that can record audio and video totally isn't goofy at all. Is Blitzball Magitek or something else?

Also, FFX-2 has a music concert in the middle of the desert and a character called Paine.

Whatever floats your boat and all, and this isn't directed at you, but Greatest Story in a Video Game Ever is not the accolade it should receive.

Wakka is supposed to be doing a bad job at consoling her, his entire arc is about learning that the religion he's devoted his entire life to is a hollow lie lead by corrupt people which is a hell of a lot more interesting than your average supporting cast member. Is the happy festival fireworks line a little goofy? Sure, but you remember it, and it makes me laugh every time.

The spheres are just magic, whatever, who cares. If you care then go look it up on the wiki, I'm sure somebody has written pages upon pages trying to explain exactly how everything works.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Seriously, FFX gets more undue poo poo then almost any game I've ever seen. People are absolutely desperate to find things to mock the game about even when they're fully intentional and actually doing a good job at what they're trying to do. The game has the deepest and most interesting and fun leveling system out of any final fantasy, the combat is the best the franchise ever got since every unit consistantly serves a purpose through the entire game and all feel dramatically different, the music is 10/10 as usual, the environments are always beautiful and the setting is a much needed breath of fresh air considering how stale JRPG's can get. I have no idea why so many people have latched on to hating FFX who as far as I can tell haven't actually even played the game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Oh drat, you mean the scene that was intentionally designed to be awkward and hilarious is both awkward, and hilarious?! What the gently caress were these writers thinking!!!!!!!!!!

Arstan posted:

Seymour really sucks. From his appearance, to his voice, to his actions; he's just the fuckin' worst.

His outfit is loving ridiculous, but I think he makes for a pretty good villain and drat if you don't hate his guts.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
You went back and played through all of Alan Wake 5 different times? To each their own but uhhh.... are you poor and can't aford any other games or something?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

littleorv posted:

I would much rather play Alan Wake five times than play FFX once

If you had actually played the game you'd likely realize why people like it. Idiot.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Alan Wake is insanely bad garbage, I wasn't aware there were people who could derive any enjoyment from that piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Lord Lambeth posted:

Harder to actually play though.

Why dont you go watch a movie then