Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

I let my friend play Dark Souls for his first time today. Seeing him get brutally owned by the Asylum Demon was hilarious, and is my current favorite little thing in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

So hey guys, Bulletstorm is really cool. I've seen a lot of people rave about the dialog, but it's honestly kind of meh to me. That wonderful watermelon hitting concrete sound you get from a headshot though.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

In the licensed FRIENDS FMV game there was a reference to Matthew Perry's drug abuse :suspense: I know it's old but I'm going to spoiler it because it was a great moment When you escape from the blizzard and enter Central Perk (the coffee shop hangout), Chandler has snow stuck in his fake moustache (an inventory item from earlier, don't ask) and instead of wiping it away he snorts it in

The best thing about this game is that is was the first game that DMC Design (the company that went on to become Rockstar) ever published. The bonus scene with the raptors brutally destroying Ross with bazookas and machine guns was probably the high point of video game design.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Sweet, I'll wait for it to go on sale then. Can't justify that price right now...

I've seen it for something like 12 dollars at Gamestop. I absolutely hate assassins creed games but at that price it's tempting.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

I got F1 2016 for really cheap in the PSN sale going on right now and I love the fact that you can save mid race. It's especially awesome since I'm usually doing at least 50% of a full race which is like 30 laps or so.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn: Is it just me or are the Cauldrons way harder than the rest of the game? The end battles are really tricky as they are at the back of a large enemy gauntlet, so your already drained by the time you get to the core, and there is no room to move to try to get away from them effectively as they are tiny rooms. (Really Rho? A room with 5 watchers, 2 longlegs and a ravager, halfway through the dungeon? gently caress you!) Also the Snapmaw/Ravager fight in the end was so difficult, whenever I tried to line up a shot to the canisters on the snapmaw to take it down quickly the ravager would come out of nowhere and do a lot of damage, and I did use traps, but all they're good for right now is stunning enemies as the critical hit, even upgraded, only does a small amount of their max health even if it is much higher damage than other attacks. That one was only a level 12, not looking forward to the other three!

It's not just you. The Snapmaw and Ravager fight was ridiculous.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I tried Dyling Light on PS4 a while back and didn't get into it. I didn't hate it, just never got time to really give it a chance. I do remember feeling a little bit of being "rushed", does the game ever chill out at all, sort of how in W3 you can ignore the main quest 99% of the time and dick around? I'm aware there is a night cycle that makes it more dangerous to be out, but other than that?

What is W3?

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

The corpse explosion spell in the Necromancer DLC for Diablo 3 is so incredibly awesome. Also your character looks like he should be in a black metal band.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

You're doing it wrong: shaping corpses into spears of bone and flesh is clearly much more metal (and I can just hold square until everything dies), especially with a golem who's happy to sacrifice himself to make more materials for spearing.

No dude the golem creates more corpses for you to explode! that plus bloody mess has me pretty much constantly laughing like a maniac at the sheer amount of carnage taking place

GelatinSkeleton has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Jul 1, 2017

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

Splatoon 2 is refreshingly fun - it's unapologetic use of puns, ridiculous colors and poppy music honestly seem like elements that should be kind of grating, but they're all used so ...earnestly, I guess is the word I'd use, that it's kind of more than the sum of its parts. The game outright knows how goofy it is and it really invites the player to buy into it.

I actually laughed a bit when I saw the shoe store was called Shella Fresh.

Why would that be grating? All of those things are cool, and yes Splatoon 2 is cool

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

swordfish duelist posted:

I really wish games would do this more. Especially the games that load right in and don't take you to the menu to start. I can't hear well enough to not have subtitles on. :(

I'm the same way, but only with games. If I'm watching a movie or TV it's fine, but with videogames I need subtitles. I wonder why that is?

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

i downloaded that doki doki lit club game because you all were raving about it. what the gently caress is this anime rear end poo poo

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

The part in Wolfenstein II when ypu meet hitler was cool and caught me off guard

GelatinSkeleton has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Nov 6, 2017

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

if you set your outfit to random in Mario Odyssey it changes it up every time you die

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVMmH5oi7q4 Just a dumb idea I had that I thought was funny based on the discussion. :3: I'm probably the only person in the world that will find it amusing but whatever.

lol

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

BioEnchanted that youtube video of you making weird mouth noises was extremely hilarious and it's a shame everyone is sleeping on it

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

I liked the goatse reference in Super Mario Odyssey.

:moonrio: :moonrio: :moonrio: :moonrio: :moonrio: :moonrio:

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

I've never played HZD, but I'm a little discomfited to learn that I share a name with a prominent tribe in that game.

This might have come up here before, but one of my favorite little things in Stardew Valley is the mod that turns your farm pony into Kate Beaton's Fat Pony. :3:

nice old lady name

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

What is LoGH

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Leal posted:

Hail Satan.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Wolfenstein 2 improved a lot for me when I just gave in and put it on the easiest difficulty setting

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

DQXI changes a few things but some things still stay the same sadly. One thing I've picked up on is that using Zoom- the teleport spell- no longer uses MP nor do you smash your face on the ceiling if you're not outside. I'm '42' hours in but only just now noticed that you don't lose MP on that anymore.

There is nothing sad about dragon quest eleven.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

John Lee posted:

holy poo poo Doom and Doom 2 had maps!?

Well, that explains why I thought the secrets were tedious bullshit.

No way

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

In RDR2 I killed some bounty hunters that were after me. I took my time looting their corpses, and I saw some vultures land near one of the bodies that was furthest away from me. When I finally got over there, I noticed the vultures had pecked the body's eyes out.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

"RoboRodent" posted:

Kiryu Kiwami

Shameful

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Dewgy posted:

As a definite video game gorehound, I have to give some serious props for RDR2's assorted systems of violence. The game can get really brutal at times, but it doesn't do it constantly, meaning those rare moments where someone gets completely ripped to shreds have so much more impact.

Two that stood out. One: Shotguns loving melt people. :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgDvAp5LHy8

Two: Lethal shots, as in "you get a red X hit marker" aren't always instantly lethal. :stonkhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zio1iFDK_Zg

I really, really, really hope there's a Manhunt 3 in the works after this. :commissar:

Wait til you see someone get mauled by a grizzly bear

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Cythereal posted:

So in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, I was wondering why knocking enemies into the water when boarding enemy ships counted as killing them. Then I waited to watch what happened to one enemy captain I spartan kicked into the water.

Unlike you, enemies can't climb back onto the ship. Or defend themselves. Several seconds after an enemy falls into the water, a shark comes along and grabs them. :allears:

Hoo hee hallby honnnnj!!!!

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

RCarr posted:

There's something similar in Super Mario RPG, where you first meet Mallow. You get asked to take him along on your quest with a yes/no prompt. If you say no it will just continue to ask your over and over until you choose yes.

Yes, that's the trope being subverted in the paper Mario game

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

haveblue posted:

This hasn't worked for me in a very long time (Safari), does it work right now for other browsers?

Is there a little box in the corner of the image when you hover your mouse over it? If so clicking that will expand the image to full size

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Japanese games are very fond of the word "culprit" and the phrase "let's do our best!" Which I always figured was a japanese language thing that sounds goofy in english

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

The re2 demo owns. Game is brutal and gory as hell

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Road degradation and having to account for it in Dirt Rally 2.0 is an incredibly cool thing that the first one didn't have. Also learning how to tweak your car's setup is incredibly satisfying when you get it right. I went from hating the Australian stages and really struggling on them to posting global top ten times on one of the stages with two of the historic cars. Now I just have to try and get a handle on the Group B monsters

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dirt Rally was one of the best racing games I ever played, even though I completely sucked at it, and I'm glad the follow-up is better than Dirt 4.

I actually really liked dirt 4, it was more arcadey though. Dirt Rally 2 is fantastic, and considerably more difficult than the first as they've improved the simulation

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

ilmucche posted:

I was bad at dirt rally and probably won't play dirt rally 2 if it's that much harder. bombing around in the mini was fun, but half throttling in the kit cars and still wrecking got a bit old :/

If you're wrecking all the time your still driving too fast. Slow is steady, steady is smooth, and smooth is fast. It seems counter intuitive but it's true

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

You just fight zombies. And pirates. It's pretty fun co op, me and my son played through it and had a good time. It's nothing amazing and it's pretty short but it's probably worth it if you find it on sale

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Zoig posted:

EDF Iron Rain lets you choose gender outside of class, which means you can be a male jet lifter, or a female anything else. It also just has a surprising amount of production quality to it compared to other edf games, though it still very much feels like EDF.

I forgot this was out, what's different about it from 5?

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

The outer worlds quest to get Parvati a girlfriend is so sweet and cute I can barely take it

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

All the stormtrooper dialogue is really good but it leads to a weird thing where the hapless nameless guys you’re remorselessly massacring by the dozens are more likable than the bland protagonists. I just got one where a stormtrooper was giving marksmanship advice to his squad (just lead them, you’ll hit em every time) because when he grew up on Utapau there wasn’t anything to do other than get really good at sniping rock-vultures

I'm really enjoying what I've played of this game so far but it runs like poo poo on a base PS4. Here's hoping for a patch that'll make a cool game better to play.
Edit: on a more positive note though I just finished Heavenward in FF14, and while I guess this isn't really a little thing, it really owned and hearing that it just keeps getting better has got me psyched to put another 200+ hours into it.

GelatinSkeleton has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Nov 29, 2019

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

I haven't actually run into any of the bugs I've heard about and I haven't had much of an issue with load times, the game is just really hitchy and the frame rate is pretty rough at times. It's really just that that is affecting my enjoyment of the game. Maybe that just bothers me more than you, bit I don't think these issues are really all that common in other recent releases. The game really needs some patching

GelatinSkeleton has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

A little thing about final fantasy 14: it brutally owns, and it just keeps getting better