Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

The best game to play is to name everyone in FF7 "Sephiroth".

Always call Barrett 'Shinra' to turn him into a self-loathing cyborg who keeps announcing his own failures in the third person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

The BotW paraglider is so good it slightly worsens every open world game where you can't just casually jump off of any tall object to glide away.

This, but for the grappling hook, paraglider, and wingsuit from Just Cause 3.

I don't just want these things in open world games. I want them (and the physics that allows them to not kill you) in real life. I would 100% grapple/wingsuit to work every goddamn day.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As an adult, of course, I've realized that it would be much more practical to connect the towers with ziplines instead and save the gliders for just the last leg of the journey.

So do you have a GoFundMe or Kickstarter or something for this, the most kickin rad transit system I've ever heard of?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I've started a new playthrough of Spec Ops: The Line because this is 2020 and I don't deserve happiness, and I'm just being hammered by how amazing the audio design is from top to bottom. Not just the various set pieces that use the classic late 60's/early 70's heavy metal that I was raised on, but the way that the degrading quality of the character's combat discipline is perfectly reflected in the sound choices As opposed to the soldiers you're fighting who only break their discipline to panic that you've come for them.

This game is just amazing, and it's impossible to recommend to people. "Play Spec Ops: The Line, I promise you'll feel like poo poo afterwards."

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So much of HZD is incredibly generic (audiologs! vantage points! text logs! random collectibles! craftable inventory upgrades!) but it's just so drat well made that it doesn't matter. And the audiologs are actually interesting and well written, which is unheard of.

HZD is probably the only game I've played where I got so mad at a fictional character that I smashed through the game JUST to spite them.

Basically, gently caress Ted Faro. gently caress that guy and all his works.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Just jumping into HZD chat to add the compulsory gently caress Ted Faro.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Speaking of relationships in games, the game that shocked me with how much I enjoyed the relationship stuff was Wolfenstein: the New Order and sequels. Despite being a wolfenstein game, they did a really good job making you believe these two people were legitimately in love.

My other Little Thing in that game was the all of it. Seriously, The New Order had no right to be as good as it was.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Also it has that bit in most FPS games where you get to shoot from a helicopter, but the helicopter gun has night-vision so all the people that you shoot are little white silhouettes, and the helicopter gun is powerful enough that when you hit them it loving LAUNCHES them so it's just little white figures ragdolling everywhere and it's really satisfying to watch.

Oh, you mean the thing that Spec Ops: The Line ruined for me forever?

My favourite thing in SO:TL? That hollow feeling you get after binging a couple hours of it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

gently caress Ted Faro

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Just cause we're on Just Cause.

JC3. The devs spent extra times to model prettier explosions. The game is 6 years old, and it's still got some of the nicest looking explosions out. Just ripping the legs off of a giant sphere tank, and watching it chain detonate a bunch of smaller fuel tanks before exploding in a ridiculous fireball? It's a thing of absolute beauty.

It is asked, can a video game be art? Well, if hooking a guard to an oxy-acetylene tank, shooting it and causing it to drag that screaming fellow through the air and into a helicopter which all explodes filling the region with flaming debris and more explosions isn't somehow art, I don't know what is.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Philippe posted:

The Heroes side quest in Cyberpunk 2077 is so goddamn good. You say goodbye to a good friend at a funeral and it's very lovely and emotional.

There's a ton of side quests in CP2077 that legit made me feel things, and for that alone I forgive a lot of sins (full disclosure, I'm running on a new system with the most up to date patches, so I'm not finding it too buggy).

I wasn't expecting a quest where you sit down in a suburban kitchen and have a long talk about religion with a condemned man. Or talk to monks about how Buddhism views cyberware. Stuff that's touching or just plain fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

You'd think this would be a Thing Dragging Game Down, but my computer crashes to desktop about once every four hours playing Civ 6.

It is the only cure for OneMoreTurnitis I've ever encountered. My will is not strong enough to stop when I've started. I love that crash.