Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I've been replaying Far Cry 2 with Dylan's Mod and I forgot just how many little things FC2 has that I like but almost nobody else does.

I love the buddy system and I'm sad that it apparently doesn't show up in any of the other Far Cry games, or more games in general. You get another shot (heh) at whatever you were doing without having to reload the game (and possibly lose a bunch of time if you're like me and forget to save often), and you get a little help clearing out the area.

Fast-travel being accomplished by buses is good (although a couple more bus stops wouldn't have hurt). The map being in-game and not stopping time when you look at it is also good. Weapon jamming and degradation is a neat feature (even if it is a bit ridiculous how quickly some guns become rusty piles of junk). Wounding but not killing an enemy can lure his friends out of hiding so you can kill them, or it can end up surprising you later if you don't confirm the kill - I've started shooting everyone in the head after the fighting stops just to be sure. I like the enemy chatter as you take out more and more guys. By the time you're down to the last couple in an area, they're freaking the gently caress out and wondering exactly how many of you there are. I like that enemies aren't totally psychic - it seems like they know where shots are fired from, but it's possible to hide and watch a group of mercs close in on your old position (I like to leave an IED as a little present for them).

Far Cry 2 isn't quite on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s level of "gently caress you, player" but it's close, and I really like it for that. I wish they hadn't gone quite so far in 'fixing' the problems people had with it for FC3. I mostly just want buddies and weapon jamming back while I'm crying far. :(

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The majority of those features are exactly the things people likes about far cry 2 (things like weapon jamming excepted), it's just that whether you like far cry 2 pretty much comes down to whether those good features outweigh how incredibly bad some of the other issues are for you, most notably the constantly respawning enemies that never leave you alone.

Also enemies absolutely are psychic in terms of detecting you. If a single enemy starts to detect you, then you have about 2 seconds before every nearby enemy instantly knows exactly where you are and completely alerts to you, no matter what you do. Then even if you use a silenced weapon but don't kill them in 1 hit, you get the same result. The one and only way to stealth is to never be seen by a single person ever, and don't kill anyone except with one shot. The enemies are magic.

Far cry 3 fixed that but then they went ahead and threw away half of far cry 2's good points too, like the diegetic map, because they evidently didn't do much real analysis about what dragged FC2 down and instead just said "people didn't like the last game, so make this one really different I guess."

Well, other than the buddies, most of the things I listed - limited fast-travel, weapon jamming/degredation, the diegetic map (THAT'S the word I couldn't think of, thank you) - are things I've actually heard people complain about, and things that I like and can only defend with "I find it fun." :shobon: Adding to that, I like the bleak story and "everyone is an rear end in a top hat, including the player character" feeling of the game, and I know some people don't care for that, either.

The enemies being not-quite-so-psychic might be something from Dylan's Mod (it also reduces the chase-chance from 90-100% down to 60% and that makes a big difference), or I might just be getting more used to taking a few shots and relocating. I've gone loud, blown up some barrels, shot some guys, and moved to a new position, then watched two mercs move in on my old position. Then I set them on fire and moved to another new position. I have the stealth upgrade, too, and I think the mod might change how that works a bit.

Okay, so add "Dylan's Mod" to things I like about Far Cry 2. It tries to minimize the bad parts and emphasize the good parts, and I think it does a good job. It's probably the biggest reason I'm replaying 2 rather than trying 3 again (I only got as far as the old man sending you to a cave to trip balls, but I didn't like it very much; I felt like it was trying too hard to be self-aware about being a video game, and yes, I know that's a stupid smug-rear end complaint to have). I will give 3 another shot. Blood Dragon is fun. I'll eventually get around to 4 as well. I'm just playing 2 right now. :)

Other things about 2 that I liked (that aren't things I've heard people complain about): the size and diversity of the map, the weather and lighting, diamonds, the weapon shop computer terminal, and the animals (as limited as they were in 2). The later games did a good job of keeping that stuff, it seems (well, except for the diamonds and the computer terminal). Far Cry is a pretty series (except for maybe the first one, mostly just because of age).

mysterious loyall Y posted:

I wanted to like far cry 2 a lot more than I did. There was just so much busywork and glum driving dragging it down all the time. 3 and 4 just couldn't hold my interest for the opposite reason, everything's so trivial and lacking in challenge.

I still love pre-mutant Far Cry 1 a lot :(

I missed this while responding to Gestalt Intellect because he quoted me. I like the first part of FC1, too, but I tried it when I got the FC collection on steam, and it just feels (and looks) so old now. It was fun, but I like 2 a lot more (as if that wasn't obvious from my posts).

As far as busywork and driving in 2 goes, I agree with you - everything takes for-loving-ever. I wish that the optional buddy-objectives during story missions weren't on the other side of the loving map almost every drat time. It'd be nice to get a mission done in less than a half hour (with 27 minutes of that being travel time). I like having a big map because it means a variety of locations, but I'd rather not have to cross the whole thing every time. But this is getting into Things Dragging This Game Down territory, so I'll stop.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Feb 2, 2015

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Kennel posted:

She created a rocket-propelled coyote by pressing random buttons (the game tries to auto-correct your input). This resulted a whole zoo of rocket-propelled animals.

I love the satisfied smile Max (I think that's his name, the main character you play as) has while floating in the middle of a crowd of flying animals and a cowboy and a baby with a crown. Just like "Yeah, this is pretty cool, and I did it."

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'm not sure if this should go here or in the annoying things thread, but in Jade Empire it has the usual BioWare morality system but it's presented as the "Open Palm" and the "Closed Fist" instead of Good and Bad.

Thing is they keeps saying that the way of the Closed Fist is meant to be all about power and strength. Not necessarily just being evil, but asserting dominance and whatnot. Unfortunately it often boils down to completing a quest and demanding more money or you'll kick the quest givers rear end, but there's one quest that really shone through and stuck to what the game said the Closed Fist should be and if you've played the game you know which one I mean.

You find a slaver and slave. I can't remember the exact specifics but you can do the usual list of RPG tropes: Buy the slave, release the slave, kill the slave, kill the owner. But you can also arm the slave. You give the slave a knife or something and tell them if they truly want to be free then all they have to do is just loving shiv their owner and forge their own path in the world. I think it gets a bit in depth about politics and how would the slave survive and you can just stick to the Closed Fist and tell them to just loving do it and basically bootsrap themselves.

Always made me want someone like Obsidian to do a remake. Someone who would really dig into the Palm/Fist thing and make all the quests and story line revolve around that as opposed to being good or bad.

Obsidian and/or CDPR doing an open-world Jade Empire 2 would be pretty sweet. Wander from village to village, dispensing kung-fu justice.

Content: I've finally gotten around to The Witcher 3, and it's full of little things (as I'm sure you already all know). It reminds me of the Gothic games, or the first Risen game, in good ways (like Gothic with an actual budget!). I enjoy Geralt being a socially-stunted weirdo when he's not threatening someone with violence. The play in Novigrad is the best example (and also reminded me of a similar quest in Jade Empire), but there were a couple other times when I just had to laugh at how awkward he was. Also, I like Geralt's "resigned shoulder slump" animation whenever he's asked to do something ridiculous or stupid (and during pretty much every conversation with a certain bard).

Also Gwent is much better than dice poker from Witcher 2 or most minigames in other games.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Mierenneuker posted:

It's "puckish rogue", get it right.

Not until The Third. Boss is almost entirely "vengeful psychopath" in 2. Because of what happened at the end of the first game.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

BioEnchanted posted:

I like when game soundtracks have a Leitmotif shared by all the songs, while being able to keep each track recognisable, like all the tracks from Bully have the same basic baseline on the bass guitar, or if not a similar rhythm, but the tempo, accompaniment and melody all transform it into their own things.

I read this post and the walking theme started playing in my head, so I had to look it up and now I'm sharing it with the rest of you. That bass. :allears:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Samuringa posted:

Mafia III:

-When you drive through a tunnel your radio sound will get all fizzy

-It feels really good to sneak around a heavily guarded place, taking out sentry after sentry, enemy after enemy, completely inconspicuous until you reach your goal.

-After you've whittled down the region bosses resources, you gotta face them. Since you get bonuses from "recruiting" them instead of just gunning them down, that should be your main objective. It would be a pain in the rear end to clear a path through the entire place they're bunkered in, but all you need to do is sneak on the Boss and grab him; as soon as you do that, no matter who else is still inside or even if they see you doing it, you just gotta press Circle, recruit him and everyone just shrugs and goes away. Very silly, and a bit game breaking, but a plus for what would be a very annoying mechanic.

-They're still pulling some nice musical setpieces

-You have money in your Wallet, but if you die, you lose half of it. To avoid that, you have a safe in your house where you can store it for later use. Also, your captains' business regularly makes revenue that you gotta collect. Both of those would be a pain in the rear end, except one of the first bonuses you get is a Consiglieri you can call anytime to store your cash safely for you, and her first upgrade is that she also collects all your earnings while she's doing that.

-Police will be more or less persistent on chasing you depending on the region you are. Lower income, they'll just look around for a while and go away. Higher income, poo poo gonna go down.

-Sometimes you have to kill someone's bodyguard and they might be in the middle of roughing someone up, terrorizing workers or just being all around assholes to people. Usually, you'd have to take care and minimize your losses, but here you can just toss a grenade or molotov and gently caress it. Lincoln ain't a hero and if there's no witness, there's no trouble.

Overall this is the best kind of game that takes place in this historic period. You get to enjoy the cool music and the nice cars while also being able to shoot racists, it's win-win.

That Enzo Conti mission was good, especially after he recognizes Lincoln and immediately is all "hey, buddy, sorry about what happened. gently caress that other guy, I'm totally with you on your revenge quest!" To add to your list:

-Donovan (your CIA buddy) is the best character in the game. He's a likeable rear end in a top hat, but he and Lincoln act like actual friends, unlike the rest of Linc's allies. Donovan gives no fucks about anything other than fighting communism and helping his buddy get revenge. The "Stones Unturned" dlc is basically The Lincoln and Donovan Show, and it's great.

-I may have mentioned this here before, but if you go into a "no coloreds allowed" business, you get marked as Trespassing unless/until you go into the kitchen or back room. It's terrible of course, but also kinda neat that they put in those details.

-Shooting and/or stabbing racist not-KKK assholes is great. Samuringa mentioned it, but it bears repeating.

-This outfit, car, and decal from Stones Unturned (mostly the outfit):

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Apr 3, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Cleretic posted:

My favorite pairing, and admittedly an easy one, was to field the big burly story-essential Lancer with the camp gay Lancer who has a huge crush on him.

The camp gay Lancer voiced by John DiMaggio.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
StarCrawlers is a fun little dungeon-crawler (like Legend of Grimrock, or the old D&D games Grimrock was inspired by), in a cyberpunk/spacer setting. Missions (dungeon crawls) take place on randomly-generated ships and stations. In one of the very early missions, you get a chance to salvage the remains of a robot you defeated. You can then have it rebuilt and it will join your party. It speaks in haiku. In another mission, I had a dog run up to me at the beginning and start talking, because he had cybernetic enhancements that translated his thoughts and body language into words. He wanted me to find his master. I did, and he wanted to remove the cybernetics from the dog because he missed the days before the dog could talk and renamed himself Barkleby rather than the much less clever name of Cybermann which is what the guy named him. The dog doesn't like the name, and wants to keep the cyberware. So obviously now I have a talking dog I can bring with me on missions. The default names for characters include "Hardslab" and "Barrakus" (which I'm guessing is supposed to be Baracus, as in B.A., but I might be wrong about that).

Also:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Screaming Idiot posted:

I want to agree, but Laura Bailey is the best voice actress of all time.

I hate to say "I agree with a poster named Screaming Idiot," but I'm saying it. Laura Bailey is the Best Boss.

The pc in the first game was just a Playa, not the Boss, so he doesn't count.

edit: nope, sorry, just looked it up. Katie Semine (Female Voice 1 in SR2) is the Best Boss. Laura Bailey is a close second. Then the English guy in 3 (Robin Atkin Downes) 2 (Charles Shaughnessy).

Also, they used the same guy for "African-American Male" in 2, The Third, and IV (Kenn Michael), so good on him for being the only consistent protagonist voice throughout those 3 games.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Sep 10, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
While we're talking about Saints Row, I think it's a neat subtle little thing that the sequels use a different numbering scheme: Saints Row 2, Saints Row The Third, and Saints Row IV.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Mokinokaro posted:

Dying Light has in game clocks and the protagonist's watch show the in game time but there's no button to actually view his watch at any time so it's wasted.

Ready a weapon to throw. Crane brings up his left arm enough that you can read the watch. But like you said, it's wasted because there's nothing so time-sensitive that it ever really matters.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Morpheus posted:

I almost wish there was a version of this game that didn't have the walking around and sciency plot and stuff. I find it pretty interesting (and like a scavenger hunt where you're looking for vocabulary in the bushes) but my mother is/was an english teacher - which is probably why I enjoy this as much as I do - and I suspect she'd love something like this that wasn't as 'gamey'.

Check out Sethian. The idea is you're a linguist/archeologist type who found a computer from a dead empire and you're trying to figure out what happened, and how their language works, because that's all the computer understands. You have a notebook with some clues to start you off, and as you learn what new symbols mean, they get added to your notebook. It sounds like something you and your mom might like. :)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Mafia 3 did real good with the music stuff. "Paint it Black" in the intro, "Folsom Prison Blues" for the shootout in the Enzo Conti mission, "Bad Moon Rising" (and "Fortunate Son") during Donovan's testimony, and probably more that I can't think of right now.

If only the finale hadn't replaced all that great period music with poo poo-rear end punk covers. They're probably not too bad on their own, but they absolutely did not fit with that game, especially as a buildup to the ending, imo.

My favorite little thing in Mafia 3 was John Donovan. He's Lincoln's CIA contact, and he's a charming bastard. Also, he gets a great post-credits scene.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Jun 15, 2020

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
I think it's neat when games play around with the UI, especially when the UI is a thing that exists in the world. It only works in small doses, though, otherwise it starts to become annoying.

ELEX gives you what's basically a Pip-Boy from Fallout (an arm-mounted computer that acts as quest log, character sheet, map, and inventory manager), and since using it doesn't magically stop time like it does in Fallout (and most video games), people can and will comment on it. Mostly in the first town, which is populated by magic-using warrior types who shun technology. They basically give you a hard time for having tech in their village and tell you to put it away before you get into trouble (you don't, because you're a PC). It's funny the first time, much less so the tenth (or hundredth).

On the flip side, Division 2's Warlords of New York DLC has a mission where you go after the main antagonist from the first game, and during one section, he hacks your UI (which in-game is projected in front of you by your magic wristwatch) to change your on-screen objectives to things like "Give up" and "Do You Trust Faye Lau?" (another Division agent from the first game). It's a fight where he's getting desperate and using all of his Rogue Division Magic to stop you (it doesn't, because you're a PC), so the obvious real objective is just "destroy the bad guy's toys while he monologues at you for destroying his toys." In the rest of the game, the closest it comes to anything like that is certain rare enemies that can jam your watch, causing your UI to flicker and your minimap to show static while they're in the area. It's neat, and it isn't overdone.

Also, mentioning Fallout up there reminded me of New Vegas' Dead Money (best NV dlc), where Elijah keeps harping on you for relying on your Pip-boy too much, and the villa is designed specifically to not be easily navigated with the in-game map.

Similarly, I like getting silly/dumb objectives in games, like Saints Row IV's "be a badass," or Watch Underscore Dogs 2's "get some pants."

What are some other good UI trickery or dumb fun objectives in games?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Thanks for all the responses about UI fuckery! I knew as soon as I posted that someone would mention a game that I had totally forgotten about, and there were at least three, plus a few from games I never played.

I never fell for getting your cyberware patched in Human Revolution (because it was a pretty obvious Illuminati trap), but that reminded me that Mankind Divided does something similar. Your UI is projected from Adam's cybereyes, and it "boots up" in the beginning of the game. It also starts glitching out after the intro, so one of your early objectives is to get it fixed. When you do, it resets your cyberware to baseline levels (explaining why you need to 'level up' again in a sequel). You can put it off, though, and go explore Prague with a glitchy hud and some 'free' cybernetics. I don't think you're allowed to spend any points on cyberware until you get reset, though, so it's of limited value, and you have to visit your crazy punk cyberdoc eventually. It's not as much of a "gently caress with the player a bit" situation as the one in HR, though.

I definitely took out my cpu chip in Nier: Automata just to see what would happen.

Metal Gear games were really good for that sort of thing, especially the last third or so of each game (haven't played 4 or Peace Walker, and everything but GZ/V was played years and years ago). They get trippy and meta about being video games.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
In The Surge 2, you meet the protagonist from the first game. At least once, you can hear him humming/singing a song before starting a conversation with him. It's "Prisoner," the song that plays in the Ops rooms in the first game, and it makes total sense that Warren would get that song stuck in his head. I did just from playing the game (and had to listen to it again just now when finding the video to link).

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Kitfox88 posted:

I liked the hints being dropped near the end of the game that the MC respawning at the various medical stations wasn’t just gameplay conceit, you can find a message on one of the terminals your second time at AID command from the ops team stalking you about how they keep seeing your biological signature pop up on different places of the city even though they’ve confirmed your death multiple times.

Also the spaceman rig owns, look at me I’m an astronaut wheee :3:

I haven't gotten that far yet (but clicked the spoiler anyway because it's a game where the story isn't a big focus), but the main character is an anomaly before the game starts. There are a few things in the police station, as well as the shady doctor downtown, that imply (or state outright) that you're all hosed up with nanites. Plus, Athena is somehow talking to you (actually, that's probably because of the stuffed lizard toy, but I bet it's made of nanites too), and the Echoes are clearly nanite-powered. Also, I literally just now made the connection between Athena and the giant nanite lizard monster in Gideon's Rock, the boss that's giving me trouble at the moment.

I also like that there's a character creator with multiple age options. Warren was a bit of a blank slate (the theme park DLC added some backstory, but there wasn't much there), and the character in 2 is even moreso, to the point where I don't even think they get a name. So now I'm playing as an elderly woman with glasses who slices limbs from cops.

Related little thing: Silly headgear like glasses and cowboy hats count as part of any gear set, for the purposes of activating bonuses (there's a partial-set bonus for wearing 3 pieces and a full bonus for wearing all 6). The stats are lower, obviously, but that's a small price to pay for fashion.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Wasteland 3 has a really good soundtrack with a ton of cover songs. Mild spoilers follow.

Early on, you have the option to murder a bunch of teenagers in a garden, and if you do, you get to listen to a country-rock (sorta) version of "Down In the Valley to Pray" (which is basically "Down to the River to Pray," which I recognized from O Brother Where Art Thou, but with a Valley instead of a River; there's also a more traditional version of "Down to the River" in another area, as background music). If you don't do the spoilered thing, you get no cool music.

Random radio songs include Marilyn Manson-sounding covers of the "Green Acres" theme and "Monster Mash" (a loading screen tip mentions that the faction who uses Monster Mash as their theme, the Monster Army, owe basically everything they are to one Robert George Pickett, aka Bobby "Boris" Pickett, who did the original Monster Mash - the game never tells you who he is, just lets you make the connection yourself). I murdered a bunch of Reagan-worshiping fascists to a gospel-y version of "America the Beautiful" and it was, well, beautiful. The first major fight (at the end of the intro/tutorial bit) uses a hymn, "Washed in the Blood of the Lamb." I haven't even mentioned the "Land of Confusion" or "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" covers because I haven't found them in-game yet, but I know they exist.

I learned from the WL3 thread here that the person responsible for all this great music is Mary Ramos, who does a lot of soundtrack work for Quentin Tarantino movies, and I think getting her involved was an inspired choice. I'm always looking forward to the next big setpiece fight, because I know it's gonna have a pretty great (cover) song to go along with it.

IIRC, Wasteland 2 only has one good soundtrack moment: when Matthias, the main antagonist, dedicates a song over the radio "to some very special people," and then plays "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" by Culture Club. It came out of nowhere and was hilarious, and I'm glad that they decided to dig into that well a bit more for 3.

Also, another good little thing: the Reagan-worshiping fascist cult call themselves the Gippers (a Canadian buddy who's also playing the game didn't make the connection between the name and "they worship an old president as a god," until he met them). The game lets you murder every motherfucking last one of them almost as soon as you see them. gently caress Ronald Reagan, even video-game robot Ronald Reagan.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Sep 14, 2020

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Cleretic posted:

I remember there was a single instance where I reloaded a save specifically not to get a diplomatic solution, but I forget exactly when or why. I want to say it was somewhere in Fallout 4, and it was because a speech check I took just to see the failure response on a Charisma 1 character actually succeeded and I didn't like the result.

That's totally Fallout 4's lovely approach to speech checks at fault, though. You can talk your way out of anything with some luck, but it's never satisfying.

I can tell you without knowing what conversation it was: the failure response would be just as dumb as succeeding and probably wouldn't have actually set you back in any way.

"Fallout 4 is never satisfying" is faster to say and gets the same point across.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

grittyreboot posted:

The one thing I was really worried about MIles Morales was if it was going to go as hard on the copaganda as in the 2018 game, especially considering who Miles' dad was. I'm really glad they're basically a non-entity this time around. I loved 2018, but it's whole "Our boys in blue" thing was corny when it was released and only came off worse when I replayed it a few weeks ago. Although it was weirdly prescient considering the third act of the game was A city government begins a violent fascist crackdown on innocent protesters while a super lethal virus is destroying the population

The Division games have the "weirdly prescient" thing going on, too. It's kind of surreal to play a game where a deadly flu outbreak has killed hundreds of thousands of people in just a few months and the government's response was, well, not great (though probably better than in the real world - the game shows evidence of having lockdowns and medical checkpoints, at the very least).

The media even gave it a stupid nickname: the dollar flu (because it was spread in New York City on Black Friday using cash covered with modified ebola).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Nov 15, 2020

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean, it isn't, and wasn't far fetched. You had the Influenza outbreak in uh 1918-1919? or thereabouts. until vaccines started being developed, you still had major dangers of measles, polio, whooping cough, etc, etc.

Between 2000 and 2016, you had several potential scares with epidemics. Yes, they didn't go far, but all it (probably) would have taken would be a mutation.
Swine Flu, SARS, West Nile Virus, maybe some others? Bush started a panel to watch and confront potentially dangerous diseases, and Obama expanded the panels.
Obama had a whole loving step by step playbook on how to deal with pandemic outbreaks. Trump disbanded the panels soon as he got into office, and tossed the playbooks.

I'm aware of all that, and I think that's why the writers went with a pandemic outbreak. It was (and still is, as we know) a very plausible scenario, and it didn't take much to Tom Clancy-fy it. My point was that playing the Division games when they came out and playing them in the latter half of 2020 are different experiences as a player, and not in the "gameplay mechanics have been changed multiple times" way (but also in that way as well).

Regarding the Division talk: I think the main theme running through both games (as a whole) is "absolute power corrupts absolutely." It's mostly embodied by Aaron Keener, who starts as an abandoned First Wave agent who convinced a few others to help him get revenge, and ends up leading his own anti-Division with his own SHD tech (basically tech-magic; pronounced "shade") and lady-ISAC (hud, communications network, and talking wristwatch). Like Ugly In the Morning said upthread, by the end of the game, the only actual Division agents left are the player and Kelso (who's written to basically be a player character - violent, impulsive, and effective). Meanwhile, Keener's anti-Division has been getting stronger while you've been going after other targets (some of whom Keener set up to be targets). Ultimately, he wins and he knows it, even though he, personally, loses.

I haven't touched Division in a while and I've had a long week, but "the Division are the bad guys" is a thing in the game, even before Keener's anti-Division shows up. It just means there aren't really any good guys (maybe the settlements in 2), because pretty much everyone the player fights are "bad guys" (except the Cleaners; Joe Ferro Was Right).

-----

Jedi: Fallen Order: BD-1 shouldn't count as a little thing because he's a main character (other than that he's literally much smaller than the rest of the cast), but he's the best character in the game, and the button to ask how he's doing definitely counts, and I second that. I used it all the time when I played that game.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Nov 16, 2020

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Sister thread is talking about The Surge games, and it made me remember one of my favorite little things in the sequel. You meet Warren, the protagonist from the first game, and when you see him at his hideout, he's humming "Prisoner," the song from the Ops rooms in the first game (it's not pointed out or anything, it's just a nice little easter egg if you played the first game). Later, near the end, they have a full Ops container (safe room from the first game) sitting in a warehouse and when you enter it to activate the medbay, "Prisoner" begins playing over the speaker, just like it used to.

"Prisoner" by Stumfol if you're interested. It's good, kinda folk-y and a bit melancholy. I thought it was totally out-of-place for The Surge when I first heard it in the Ops rooms, but then I listened to the whole thing outside of the game and it's much more appropriate than it seems.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Morpheus posted:

Oh man, walking into his hideout and hearing that tune absolutely hit me the right way. You hear it so much in the first game that at this point it's pretty much ingrained permanently into my memory. Not a bad song, either. Catchy.

You cannot miss, what you have never seen before...

but deep inside, you know there must be more.

:hfive:

The CREO Ops room is really late, but as soon as I saw it, I knew there was going to be something neat in there, and hearing "Prisoner" was enough for me. I stood there for a few minutes after banking my scrap and stuff, just listening to the song and smiling. :)

Also, holy poo poo dark mode quotes (of your own posts) rule. I don't get quoted very often because I don't post very often, but I like it.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite; Deus Ex: HR's conversation "battles" ares solidly built around the CASIE augment, which gives you an onscreen HUD display of their current temperament and disposition.

I never used the CASIE aug in Human Revolution and beat all the convo battles by paying attention to the characters and story. The one in Mankind Divided was much better.

edit: I used it once in HR and realized I did not like it at all, so I reloaded and didn't waste Praxis points on that aug.

I like that Adam is susceptible to it when someone else hits him with a CASIE in HR.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Jul 11, 2021

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Cyberpunk 2077 has a lot of issues, even after the new patch, but as an old Cyberpunk 2020 player, there are a ton of neat little things. The rock station's DJ is Mike Pondsmith, the creator of the tabletop game, and in between songs like "Chippin' In" and "Never Fade Away" (which I've always known as just snippets of lyrics in a rulebook, so actually hearing them as real songs is cool), he talks about life in Night City and weird pseudo-conspiracies (like how Trauma Team, the emergency medical company, will keep you on ice and harvest your organs if you can't pay your bills). Keanu Reeves is actually pretty good as an angry narcissistic Rockerboy - he's the hero of the story because he's Johnny loving Silverhand and you're just some punk-rear end body he's stuck in. The 2023 flashback was so good - my favorite bit was pulling out a big 1980s-looking cyberdeck (guess when the tabletop game originally came out?) to hack something instead of the sleek all-internal dataports-and-cables method of the '70s (give me a '20s dlc, cowards). Everything in Night City is loud and neon and plastered with corporate logos and it's just perfect. I also like the open-world DX-like gameplay. When things don't bug out, it's actually sometimes pretty good at that - creeping around warehouses, taking over/disabling cameras, distracting guards to sneak by them (or knock them out), reading everybody's emails, that sort of thing.

(side note: I don't like "immersive sim" as a genre name because it isn't very descriptive, no I don't care that Warren Spector came up with it; "0451" doesn't mean anything if you don't already know what it means; "DX-like" is only a little better than "0451," but "first-person-perspective games where you can fight, sneak, or sometimes talk your way through an encounter/mission" is still too clunky)

It's too bad things start falling apart as soon as you poke around the edges a bit (or just play the game normally because there are still a ton of bugs/glitches/suddenly-fly-hundreds-of-feet points all over the game), but that's a post for the other thread.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
After I posted about Encased in the steam thread, I realized it would be good for this thread. If you aren't aware of it, it's a 1970s sci-fi isometric rpg about being under a giant mysterious Dome that suddenly appeared one day (and ended the Cold War because everyone decided "let's figure out how this thing works together"). It's very obviously a loving homage to Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It's fun and so far, doesn't seem to have a lot of the bullshit that most other recent isometric Fallout-like games have had - Underrail is full of non-optimal things that just make the later game more difficult than it needs to be; haven't played Atom RPG but I saw the screenshot of the Jewish caricature merchant so it has that kind of bullshit, Wasteland 2 had 3 times as many skills as it needed, but Wasteland 3 is actually pretty decent, I enjoyed that game and beat it before they patched out the Kodiak being able to kill anything in one hit.

Anyway, this is the good little things thread so here goes:
-(this is the thing I mentioned in the steam thread) Likely the first companion you get is a giant slab of English muscle who goes by "Crump." He likes fighting, drinking, and bumblebees (because they're pretty). Also, after you build up enough reputation with him, he knows you're ready for his passionate defense of the artist Mark Rothko, who he claims does things with colour (his spelling) that no other artist does, and people who think his work is bad and simple just because it's abstract are dumb. It's the most talking he's done in the entire game so far.
-Your home base is a gas station called Roadside Picnic.
-Tools (like lockpicks or trap-disarming kits) just give a bonus to your effective skill level for that action. If you have a high enough skill, you don't even need the tools.
-snagging this one from CommissarMega in the steam thread, but I found her last night myself:

A bit of explanation: the 5 Wings of the Cronus Corporation in charge of exploring the Dome are basically classes, but you can tag any 3 skills at character creation, not limited to things your wing specializes in. Black wing are security forces and cops. Blue wing are technicians and mechanics and make sure stuff keeps working. Orange wing are all criminals, brought under the Dome through a program that uses incarcerated prisoners for exploration and labor (they're essentially bodies to throw at problems that come up so they don't have to waste other valuable members of the corporation). White wing are doctors and scientists. Silver wing are managers and psions. My character is a Silver wing with Criminal and Influence as my two highest skills, so I'm mostly trying the non-combat solutions to quests (and opening all the locked things). This leads to my last little thing (for now):

-Almost every time there's a dialogue option based on a stat, skill, or being a member of a specific Wing, there's at least one (usually two or more) other stat/skill/wing-based option. To make up an example, if I have to get info from a guy, I could do the thing he wants me to do to get it (normal solution) or I could convince him that time is of the essence and I really need that info (Influence skill). Most games would call that good enough. Encased also lets you notice that his hands are shaking and ask why he's so nervous (Perception stat), or tell him that it's against the terms of his contract to withhold information from management (Silver Wing). Like I said, almost every time there's an option like that, there are multiple options like that.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Strom Cuzewon posted:

[*] The little robot tries to plug the USB stick in upside down and has to flip it over*

*twice

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Kitfox88 posted:

ROCK AND STONE

ROCK AND STONE!

Everyone mentions the Ashtray Maze as the highlight in Control. I think it's a cute little interactive music video/"look what we can do with the environment!" showcase that's fun and doesn't overstay its welcome. However, people seem to overlook the real musical highlight in the game: "Dynamite!" by Dr. Darling. If you haven't seen it yet, you should really finish Control. If you have, you know I'm correct.

Another little thing: I liked Langston going on and on (and on and on) about his cat and his neighbor (who's been feeding his cat). I stayed after the elevator ride ended and listened to his entire story because I'm not rude, and it was absolutely worth it.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Dec 7, 2021

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
The conversation has moved on from Hulk: Ultimate Destruction without mentioning the stealth section, and I'm here to correct that (the stealth bit starts at about 3:03:30 if the timestamp doesn't work; a full LP was the first thing I found that actually had it).

If you don't want to watch the video, Hulk has to infiltrate a military base, so he grabs a truck and slams it down over himself, then crouch-walks through the base until he gets to where he's going. It should be obvious to anyone because the truck is just moving around, not touching the ground, and you can see the Hulks green legs underneath it, but the game just runs with it. It's a short funny break between sections of HULK SMASH! and it's the only mission (well, part of a mission) I remember from the game. Other than that, I just think of how fun it was to just leap around everywhere and smash the poo poo out of everything. Saints Row IV had similar movement powers. I've never played the Prototype games, so I might check those out; I'm sure they'll be pretty cheap these days.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Jan 6, 2022

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Push El Burrito posted:

The Hulk stealth section was them making fun of the previous Hulk game which had Banner stealth sections that everyone hated.

I never knew that, thanks! I just thought it was a funny little thing the devs threw in because they were amused by the idea (and rightly so).

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

BioEnchanted posted:

I got Jedi: fallen Order on ps4 because it was on offer yesterday and I wanted something for inbetween attempts at Nioh, but it seems poorly optimised at times - some of the early cutscenes in Kashyyyk were terribly laggy with the scenes freezing every few seconds. The section before that was a lot of fun though with Hijacking the walker, and I like how relatable the main character is with new dynamics, like when he's travelling with the pilot and the pilot needs to make a complicated maneuver and Cal goes to grab a lever to help and the pilot's like "Hey, hey, I don't need an extra pair of hands idiot!" It's the sort of thing anyone in a new job would possibly to, go to do something that seems needed only to be scolded because it was actually getting in the way.

I think you're going to enjoy hanging out with the cast of that game. Your companions are fun, BD-1 especially (because you spend so much time with it). The main villain chews as much scenery as they can get their hands on and it's great.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
I got two things out of Elusive Targets: the suit from Blood Money (which basically just means the red-striped tie from Blood Money), and the opportunity to murder Gary Busey by throwing an exploding golf ball at him after he had an argument with Gary Cole. I'm assuming there was a licensing issue that prevented them from ever re-running that one.

Sean Bean (and Sean Bean Remix, and Sean B3an) wasn't quite the same thing.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Elex 2 has a minor sidequest (questline, maybe) where Jax (the player character) isn't actually doing the quest. Minor spoilers for the Fort: Somebody took a poo poo in Hitch's house and he thinks some of the local kids did it. You eventually meet some of the kids when they ask for your help (or in one case, tell you leave an active crime scene because you could contaminate it). After doing what little you can, you find the kid detectives at their little clubhouse, where they go over the details of the case and proceed with their next steps. Whenever you try to talk to them about the case (other than the small amount of help you can give), they basically tell you to go away and stop interfering in an ongoing investigation. You can't even convince Hitch that the kids are actually trying to help figure out who took a poo poo in his house so maybe he shouldn't just brush them off when they want to tell him something. I haven't seen an ending to it yet, but if it continues the way it has been, it feels like a pretty good troll by the devs: keep the player character out of the loop but still able to watch the "quest" happen if you pay attention. Even the stuff you can do to "help" feels like they just want to keep you occupied so you don't interfere.

I just want to know who took a poo poo in Hitch's house! It's the biggest unanswered question in the game so far.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Frank Frank posted:

While allying with real historical figures. It’s so weird. I love it. Did you know Hattori Hanzo’s father was a giant toad? You do now!

Giant Toad (pronounced: Giant Toad) was the most enjoyable boss fight in the game because he's a giant toad with a big pipe that he smokes during the fight (and also he wasn't too fast or tanky like some of the other bosses). I was so happy when I unlocked the later duel mission where he wants to fight you again just because he had so much fun the first time.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I liked that aspect of Nioh where certain buff items you could just learn as spells. I think Elden Ring crafting system kind of improves on that aspect of Dark Souls where you wouldn't necessarily want to use items because you'd just get clamped 3 seconds after using an item to put a bunch of fire on your weapon, but Nioh probably had it correct by just having it as a skill you can learn.

Anyway a cool little thing in Elden Ring is that when you're standing in poison or rot or whatever it begins to slowly poison you as long as you're standing in it, but if you step out of it your poison level starts to drain. UNLESS you dodge rolled while you were in it, in which case the poison keeps ticking up, because now you're covered in it.

Going back to Nioh (and probably other games), I like that you can remove the burning status effect more quickly if you use the dodge-roll move.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
I've been posting about Sekiro in the other thread because of some boss/miniboss fights (just got wrecked by Genichiro for the first time since the intro), but one thing I love is the little ready-up move Wolf does during cutscenes with his sword, where he tilts the scabbard forward, usually with a one-liner like "This won't take long." The little click noise of the blade being loosened is so satisfying, and it makes you think you're about to see Wolf do Some Sweet Samurai poo poo (tm). However, I'm not very good at the game, so it doesn't usually play out that way.

It gets me psyched up every time, though.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Apr 3, 2022

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

2house2fly posted:

I did see someone complain on twitter once that there's a bounty target in New Vegas who's a rapist

"New Vegas made my manly alpha male Courier say a bunch of gay stuff and there was absolutely no reason for this! Confirmed Bachelor? That's just a dude giving another (naked) dude a backrub. You know, normal straight guy stuff. The heart's just because everyone loves a good massage."

This is a slightly-exaggerated version of an actual complaint in the New Vegas thread back in the day (2house2fly knows this already, but some of you might not). Of course, everyone pretty much told him "You took the Confirmed Bachelor perk all on your own, buddy."

edit: poo poo, I think that came out badly - I'm obviously not trying to say that being gay in a game is a bad thing, like in those other examples of "bad thing exists in game, therefore game endorses bad thing." It was just one of the more ridiculous complaints about New Vegas that I remember happening.

More appropriate to the context: if they were mad about Cook-Cook (who I assume is the bounty target in question), they must have been absolutely livid about The Coyotes (Saint James and Dermot). Cook-Cook is a cannibal rapist pyromaniac (just calling him "a rapist" is kind of underselling his bad-ness), but Saint James is worse. He may not be a pyromaniac, but he likes his victims young. Younger than that. No, even younger. I don't think he's a cannibal, either.

edit 2: gently caress, absolutely thought this was the other thread.
Content, sort of: I submitted a half-joking bug report to the Weird West devs a few weeks ago, regarding a minor character. He can die and his corpse was given the generic name "Villager" instead of the character's actual name. My bug report was basically "He deserves to have a name even after death, despite what the character himself would have said." Yesterday, I got an email from Devolver with a steam key for a free game (Gato Roboto), as thanks. Now I'm just waiting to see if the next patch notes include "<Character> now keeps his name if he dies."

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 15:44 on May 1, 2022

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

muscles like this! posted:

Most disappointing thing for me when I played RDR2 is that I never ran into the Klan event so I couldn't kill them. Although I did get to throw a Molotov cocktail into a group of them in Mafia 3.

Lincoln has some brutal combat animations. Stabbing racists while dressed like Jimi Hendrix never wore out its welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

bitterandtwisted posted:

I gave myself the lowest starting physical strength because I thought that would be a less interesting way to play, but I wanted to kick Measurehead's rear end so badly I ended up beefing up anyway. Totally worth it.

I gave myself the lowest starting physical strength the first time I played and had a fatal heart attack while trying to get my necktie down from the ceiling fan.

Disco Elysium is great.