Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Sardonik posted:

I picked up the Diablo 3 expansion on a lark because it was on sale for 50% off, and continued on in my main game. I think I tripped over the hidden level. :stare:

Isn't that level full of pastel pony enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

EmmyOk posted:

"I have enormous faith that you'll win"

And also because his people's home just got blown up, and they'll need the money to build a new one.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

scarycave posted:

In FFV, they tried to use a phoenix down and various healing spells on a dead character. In a cutscene.
Didn't work, but I think this is the only time in a FF game where they actually tried to revive someone like that.

There's another cutscene in FFV that varies slightly depending on how many sidequests you've done. The first time you use one of the four tablets, you'll see a cutscene where Exdeath orders 3 bosses to ambush you at the sites of the other tablets. If you don't use the first tablet and instead go collect the others, you'll fight the bosses that were in the cutscene that hasn't played. Once you do go use the tablets, the bosses that you have already killed will not appear in the cutscene. If you collect all four tablets before using any, the cutscene just won't play at all since it would be moot now.

It's such a little thing, but it creates nice internal consistency.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

a kitten posted:

Wearing silly poo poo in cutscenes is the best. A while back FFXIV added a hat based on the slimes from Dragon Quest and nothing livens up a serious storyline quest like seeing that thing jiggling on your head while NPCs are talking away.

Kingdom Hearts 2 was great for this. In most cutscenes, Sora keeps his current drive transformation and, more importantly, his currently equipped keyblade. This can make for some magical scenes. Captain Jack Sparrow is talking about how the keyblade is a mighty weapon and how he wishes he had it, so Sora hands over... a stick with a beehive on it.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's what I'm saying.

Pure 16 bit glory with none of that "pop culture" those mouthbreathers like :rolleye:

I know you're joking, but that was a Ted Woolsey translation thing. In the japanese version their names were Vinegar, Mayonnaise, and Soysauce respectively.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

RareAcumen posted:

And in English?

Ozzie, Flea, and Slash in reference to rock musicians. Even if they aren't the same subjects, at least Ted Woolsey could keep the "cheesy set of names" that Akira Toriyama was so fond of. (At least half of the characters in Toriyama's Dragon Ball and DBZ had similarly ridiculous name sets.)

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Renzuko posted:

I'm replaying metroid fusion and just finished the area where you get the varia suit, for those who don't know samus is now weak to cold and the X parasites somehow know that and develop the ability to be ice cold by entering the sub-zero climate zone. Every one of the cold parasites home in on samus, travelling through platforms and such.

In the room after you get the varia suit, which allows samus to deal with extreme temperatures 5 cold x parasites swarm her, but now she can absorb them. every cold x parasite you meet after that now actively runs away from you

The flag that causes blue X to run away from you is not set until you actually absorb one of them. If you keep dodging them like before, they will continue to chase you, potentially for the rest of the game.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Agent355 posted:

In Spiderman 2 way back in the PS2 era the game had these collectible question marks around the world. They worked sorta like tutorials that explained basic game concepts and the narrator became more and more derogatory during the explanations. 'How'd you make it this far without learning how to punch? Okay, just hit X I guess.'

One of the loading screens said something like 'if you collect all the tutorial markers they'll all say something different!'. So I figured it would be advanced tips or something.

Actually when you collect all the markers each one literally just says 'something different' in 10-15 different versions by the narrator with several degrees of frustration in his voice. It was great.

The Disgaea games have a similar thing. Asking for tutorials from the Land of Carnage (high level postgame content) versions of NPCs will get you derogatory edgelord statements instead of actual tutorials. I know 2 and 4 have this; 1 and D2 don't, not sure about 3 and 5. There's a bunch of different variations but they all go about like this:

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

FredMSloniker posted:

I hope it has a zero-point secret trophy for getting that ending. e: does Playstation assign points to trophies? I admit I'm more familiar with achievements.

Having a trophy for it incentivizes you to go for that ending, which runs counter to the game's theme of player choice. The same thing can be said about any of the other alternate endings as well. That said, I am a bit surprised that the last progression trophy is in the Core, and not in Final Corridor or in seeing any ending.

Making solid trophies for Undertale is a bit difficult, because it doesn't want to give away the spoilers of any boss or ending. Someone suggested that trophies could have been for doing silly easter egg things, which is possible, but is unfortunately not the case.

Dewgy posted:

The entire soundtrack to Quattro Adventure would like a word.

Seriously I think that thing has a higher quality of music to quality of game ratio than freaking Mystic Quest.

That's because Mystic Quest is a good game. :smugdog: It set out with a specific goal in mind, be a beginner's RPG, and it succeeded at that goal. Simple but cute story and characters and graphics, moderate difficulty with no real consequence for losing battles, a focus on exploring the dungeons rather than combat, and a kickin' soundtrack, all combine to suit the primary goal. It's not the most intricate title ever, but it's a complete package with little to no loose ends.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

U.T. Raptor posted:

PS3/4/Vita Trophies can be set as hidden trophies that won't appear on the trophy list (except as a generic "this is a hidden trophy" placeholder) until you unlock them, which is already primarily used for story-related stuff.

Right. :doh: I should have remembered that. I didn't actually play many PS3 and up games, but I did play the Disgaea games, that for some reason made ALL of their trophies hidden. I don't really understand why Disgaea did that, because the Disgaea games don't have nearly as many things to spoil other than maybe secret postgame characters.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Barudak posted:

Burn to th-Burn t-Burn Burn B-Burn to the-Burn to the ground!

Thanks megaman.

Also Shining Force Neo(?) and its endless loving loop of "hot stuff coming your way"

In SSBMelee I loved mashing the confirm button on a character to make the announcer say their name repeatedly.

Doctor Doctor Doctor Mario, Doctor Doctor Doctor Mario

Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay-man Watch

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't bring up the Ball Buster without showing it :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTiX1Fler90

DING! :shepface:

The game's first miniboss is a pair of flamboyantly gay men named Mr. Gold and Mr. Silver. The Ball Buster will work against Mr. Gold, but fail against Mr. Silver. Silver has apparently been castrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFr-4_Kykd0&t=260s

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

MiddleOne posted:

More specifically loving with the poor 3D-designers who had to turn his vision into reality.

And they responded by avoiding animating her from the waist down whenever they could, or just leaving her out of action scenes. For instance, there's a scene where Tidus, Kimahri, and Lulu have to jump from a dock onto a boat, and the cutscene pointedly shows Tidus and Kimahri jumping, but Lulu just magically appears on the boat. The same thing happens in the wedding crashing scene; the FMV shows everyone riding the cables except Lulu, even though she's still in your party and usable when you land.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You can stop right after that if you wanted to. And its the last time the game rewards you for following the G-route.

Killing the last boss and reaching the level cap should have been the point of no return. Imagine the reaction some players would have if they tried to reset, only to find afterwards that they were still max LV with all the monsters gone, and the only thing to do was go get the ending. Also would fit in with the theme of Chara usurping the player's control, like trying to say Do Not during the ending.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Megalovania is still the best song, which seems like such a weird reward when it's at the very end of a genocide run.

Hearing Megalovania in context was a really cathartic moment. All the frustration of a year and half of evading spoilers came pouring out at once while I was learning the last boss's patterns. Megalovania was one of the only musical spoilers I allowed since I already knew it from Homestuck, but god the whole game's soundtrack was worth the price of admission alone.

Despite the above, my favorite song in the game is Bergentrückung + ASGORE. It's not as fancy as the other endboss songs, but something about hooks right into my brain and doesn't let go.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

ToxicFrog posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor had a "Suddenly, the dungeon collapses!" achievement for crashing the game. Early builds of Dredmor were unstable enough that I suspect most players have it, though.

The La-Mulana remake has achievements called "This is La-Mulana" for dying to certain instakill traps. I'm between 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through the game and have gotten all three of them available so far. :downs:

maou shoujo has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Nov 5, 2017

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Snake Maze posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I always heard about memory problems the other way around (english takes more characters to say the same thing) but I guess it's a tradeoff between the languages. Would it still be nostalgia for the NES era in a SNES game?

I'm really glad they did it, anyway. The fan translation used all the built in english names (correcting the occasional typo) which means it's easy to use the japanese fansites to look up equipment/monster stats instead of having to use google translate to try and figure out which mangled machine translated name is the one you're looking for.

English has 26 possible letters if you use all caps, 52 if you have proper capitalization. Japanese will have 53 to 76 syllable characters for hiragana, depending on whether you want to have diacritical marks as separate characters. (e.g. か゛ vs が as a way to write ga.) Then, double that character count if you include katakana, which make it easier to distinguish foreign loanwords. I'm not counting punctuation marks in either language, since most of those have uses or equivalents that carry over.

In practice, the amount of ROM space for storing graphics for hiragana/katakana is minor compared to the writing space benefit that you mentioned. Because hiragana/katakana are syllabaries, they almost always take less characters to encode the same number of sounds. The word hiragana written in english takes 8 characters, while written as ひらがな it takes 4; the word Wizardry takes 8 where ウィザードリィ takes 7. What was most common in the NES and early SNES era was use of hiragana and katakana with no kanji. The chinese characters would help distinguish homophones, but require many more characters in graphics and require a larger font to be legible. You are right about the nostalgia factor though. Use of kana-only for the sake of nostalgia has been a thing since Earthbound/Mother 2 or the SNES Dragon Quest games, with various contemporary and indie games copying that effect.

The use of english words in Wizardry is most likely a nostalgia factor too, originating in the fact that the series was an english-to-japanese translation job. The english text in the oldest games may have been a stylistic choice or even just budgetary concerns; I can't say for sure since I am not intimately familiar with Wizardry.

maou shoujo has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Jan 19, 2018

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Nuebot posted:

Let me tell you about a place called the 'slab and the mods they make for video games.

Anyway, I've been replaying the Digital Devil Saga games because I've been on a real SMT fix lately and the first game takes place in a weird fictional world called the Junkyard where groups of anime people are constantly at war with one another. When a girl with black hair shows up everyone is weirded out because they've literally never seen someone without bright cartoonish hair colors before. The protagonist of the previous SMT game, the Demi-Fiend shows up as a very hard optional boss as well and the game plays the regular battle music from that game when you fight him. He's only vulnerable to three types of damage; Gun, Almighty and Earth. You can never be immune to Almighty damage and in Nocturne Earth and Gun skills didn't exist.

I love the fact that it plays the random battle music from his game. To you he is the game's hardest boss, but the music implies that to him your gaggle of devils are just another random encounter.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I have never played any Monster Hunter game, but I watched a little bit of a friend playing MH World yesterday. I like that this game's setting seems to take the JRPG logic of "gameplay where everything you ever need can always be acquired by hunting monsters" to its logical extreme. There's a ton of civilization oriented specifically around hunting giant beasts, to the point where another friend described the technology level as "cavemanpunk". It makes me want to play the series myself.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Sad lions posted:

I don't think I'm even halfway yet but holy poo poo Iconoclasts has some of the most fun bosses I've seen in ages. I'm not really keen on the level design but god drat the boss where you switch between Robin and the shotgun lady repeatedly won me over in a big way.

This is how I feel about Cave Story. CS has a backtracking problems at times, especially in Grasstown and Sand Zone, but it's entirely forgiven because every single one of the bosses is amazing. Everything is fun to dodge, and I don't recall any frustrating or cheap deaths. The final bosses are amazing in context as the sound effects make the otherwise simple melodies feel more bombastic than they are alone.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Leavemywife posted:

The Secret of Mana remake is a bunch of fun. The dialog seems mostly unchanged, and it's now voice acted, and I'm loving hearing that cheesy poo poo said out loud, by real people.

Something I find adorable is they now use singular "they" as pronoun for Popoi, the Sprite. The original translation on the SNES used "he" a couple of times, but that was inaccurate as the japanese version intentionally never specified a gender. Popoi was always my favorite character in SoM, I love gender-neutral characters in general, so this change warms my heart to see. :3:

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Zanzibar Ham posted:

lol

"Nothing like the original."

later in the same review

"the beginning story beats are just as bad too. They banish the main character for dooming their town because the Sword of Mana protected it. NEWSFLASH, your town is still doomed! The people have lived with this kid since he was a baby!"

Legitimate question here. As I recall from the SNES version, the reason why the boy got banished from his hometown was not because the sword was protecting the town. Rather, the sword's presence was inevitably going to attract more monsters that would be seeking to either destroy or steal the sword. This is the reason why you had to fight the Mantis Ant, and indeed later there are other boss fights that come basically out of nowhere. It is subverting the cliche of the hero's doomed hometown without actually breaking the fourth wall. You are the chosen one? Get out before we become collateral damage.

Did the remake mess up this bit of writing, or was that reviewer just terrible at reading?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I started playing Axiom Verge yesterday. There's a lot that I like so far; the labcoat of phasing through walls and the first secret world were super cool. But, one of the most interesting to me is that this is one of the only games I have ever seen where I don't hate the low health warning noise, an issue I have mentioned before in the complaining thread. It's synced to the rhythm of the music, and the sound it makes fits the rest of the game's sound font and is balanced to be noticeable without being overbearing. The low health warning actually feels like an organic part of the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Babe Magnet posted:

I love when games do this

Similar to the Fallout S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat screen, this is the Conan Exiles attribute screen:

The world names in Kirby's Adventure (NES) spell out ROYGBIV (but backwards)

Vegetable Valley
Ice Cream Island
Butter Building
Grape Garden
Yogurt Yard
Orange Ocean
Rainbow Resort

And since all the names are alliterative, it's a double rainbow too 🌈🌈