Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The video game XIII is based on a comic. When you get a headshot in the game a three panel comic comes up and shows it happening.

It also has some onomatopoeia show up next to your guns when they shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I didn't mind the gunplay. It would've been nice if all of it was avoidable if you were a good runner, but I like that different guns slowed you down. And I laughed like a maniac when I got the machine gun at the end of the mall escape.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Son of Rodney posted:

Ok I am really, really easily pissed off at games where you die a lot but at this point I feel like I need to try a dark souls game. Which one should I play first?

Play ds1 first. Good slow weighty combat. As the other guy said the quality of life stuff makes it hard to go backwards. Two and three really pick up the pace of combat.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've also just started psychonauts (three hours in). Oh man that secret room milla's mind scared me. I hope I can go back and help her through it :ohdear:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

(Yakuza 0) Kiryu has such great range. :allears:

The fact that those cars are in yakuza 0 makes me want to play it. I love those things!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Saint Freak posted:

I just started playing AssCreed Syndicate and I appreciate that it completely forgoes the idea I would ever want to parkour and just straight-up gives me a Batman combination grappling gun + line launcher.

Also I get to hang out in my steampunk locomotive base of operations just like cinema hero Jim West, desperado, rough rider.

Is that the london one? The london one was actually good, right? They release too many now and I've completely lost track since they stopped using numbers.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

jojoinnit posted:

Yeah I'm 75% of the way through it right now. It has zero modern day bits (so far at least) and the reconstruction of London is remarkable.

Sweet, I'll wait for it to go on sale then. Can't justify that price right now...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah. I haven't played most of the others, but it's kinda ...Saint's Row 2-y? Like the city is controlled by a gang and as you do activities in each area you take them back over with your own gang that you see on the street and can recruit to ride with you and shoot stuff, and you can carjack horse n' buggies and stuff. That said the core gameplay is still sneaking and assassinating dudes and attack/dodge combat and a million collectibles so if that sounds like what you're looking for check it out.

You've made this sound fantastic.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh my god I just managed the 64th story mission in American Wasteland (Manual between the 24 cones in one combo) and that was super hard, even with the 7 manual points I now have. I'm glad it's balancing me out by it's fairly chill "Do all the graffiti in all the areas and combine the styles" mission. That's pretty good pacing, I need to wind down with mild platforming.

Never stop. :allears:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It's probably been 8 or 9 years since I've played it, and I barely remember anything I did in it except one. There was this one boss, who looking it up I guess must've been Olga of the Eastern European gang, would just hang out in a cave with a bunch of dudes who would wreck you once you stepped foot in there. It felt like I tried dozens of times to get to her, but failure after failure lead me to just jacking an 18 wheeler, rammed it right in there, and just ran her over as much as I could before the truck exploded.

There was definitely one like that in crackdown 2. you had to go into a cave overlooking a mine and everyone had rocket launchers.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RyokoTK posted:

Breaking poo poo in Red Faction: Guerrilla is so grossly satisfying, and I love that they waste no time in giving you everything you need to rip Mars apart.

Does this work on modern machines now? Last time I installed it it ran super fast. My only experience with it are slow and laggy onmy old computer, nightmare fast on the new one.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Nordick posted:

Yup just grab the Steam Edition and get to wrecking poo poo.

It's on sale just now too, only five bucks.

EDIT: Has any game since done destructible buildings as well as RFG? It's just so much goddamn fun.

Five bucks? I see it as 5 euros :(
Oh well I'll pick it up tomorrow. Dynamite all the things.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Nuebot posted:

I just play real games and listen to podcasts.

I've been working through My Brother, My Brother and Me while playing through Super Robot Wars V.

Speaking of Super Robot Wars V, it's crazy how this game improves the storylines of pretty much every series involved in it. It's like the common theme of this game was "robot cartoons with poo poo endings" and then they decided to just re-write all the endings in ways that didn't suck.

But why don't we shoot the gundams into the sun?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

poptart_fairy posted:

AP is an IP that would have suited Telltale perfectly, funnily enough. The weakest part of AP was the actual gameplay side of things - strip that out, focus entirely on relationships and your methods during a mission, pow.

I got to punch a cocaine loaded gangster down while turn up the radio blared over his rocking sound system. That's good gameplay.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mierenneuker posted:

It really was a honeypot for people who never saw Trainspotting to out themselves. Truly the scum of the fuckin' Earth.

When I was in england we were talking about language differences and my english friend said "there's a reason glass is a verb here" after we watched a few guys get into a fight

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Brofessor Slayton posted:

He still counts as dying from the explosion. So he looks the same, if I recall. Just floating face-down in the river towards you.

You can only really change if his parrot is also a ghost, by eating it or letting it go free.

You can kill a boss by not playing the game for a week??

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kanfy posted:

It's a short window which requires both a specific spot and weapon, but it's also possible to snipe him some ways before his boss fight which skips the whole thing later on. You're likely to get a wheelchair wheel in the face though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bn7cL-sWwE

Also this video is from 11 years ago which is a weird thing to think about.

Is he in a wheelchair when you fight him normally? Fhat and waiting him out are pretty cool. Thanks Kojima...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

haveblue posted:

I really liked how over the course of the game you and your squad's combat barks gradually evolve from a clipped, professional "tango down" to a hoarse, screaming "GOTCHA MOTHERFUCKER".

The executions change as well, and become more violent as walker begins to break down.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's pretty great how that mentality even extends to Walker himself. At the beginning, you're given a very clear and delineated objective: Get in, get a general overview whether any survivors are left, and then get out to report back so a proper relief effort can be made if necessary.

Except then you run into trouble, and Walker immediately snaps into the videogame-protagonist mentality, as he figures it's now up to them to resolve the situation. And in a regular game (or movie, for that matter), he'd be right: There it all boils down to just one hardened hero protagonist to go through and resolve the whole thing through grit and determination. But Spec Ops doesn't play by those rules, and instead the actually "realistic" thing happens when you throw in a group of heavily armed aggressors into a desperate and delicate situation: Everything gets even worse. It was quite the experience to look back at the end and realise that everything Walker and co did just worsened the situation. Just about nothing they did actually helped anyone at all. So much death and destruction could have been avoided if Walker had just done his drat job and hosed back off once his mission was done, but that wouldn't have been "heroic".

Pretty sure Lugo calls him out on that later in the game, something about just a recon mission. After the water incident he gets called on it as well, saying people have died because he tried to intervene

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

The most important thing to know is to specialize in the Pistol skill, the game's not a great shooter regardless but pistols at least give you a chainshot ability that lets you effctively skip boss fights by emptying a dozen hollowpoint rounds into a dude as time stands still.

Also levelling up your Sabotage skill until you get the Interference ability which lets you skip hacking minigames by sacrificing an EMP grenade. Totally worth it, especially if playing with m+kb.

Everyone says do the chainshot pistol thing. I quite enjoyed just building a character around assault rifles and occasional shotgun.

Build a character you enjoy for the first time through. You're a rookie, you don't know any better anyway.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

World War Mammories posted:

TUUUUUUUURN UP THE RAAAADIO

alpha protocol owns

Brayko's bossfight is great. Like brawling in a disco.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Polaron posted:

Don't make decisions lightly. There's at least one in the Middle East that will directly affect what ending and final boss you can/will get.

Don't listen to that final boss malarkey. Make the decision you think is right in the moment and regret nothing. You were picked because you're the best, so your decisions will be the best.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

rear end creed syndicate has good and bad things, and some standard rear end creed stuff, but I like that my gang becomes a bunch of murder machines sweeping Templar hunts and factories out while i chill to swoop in and claim the glory.

Edit: the murder the doctor mission was pretty cool too, with them trying to find other ways to make it happen other than just rockup and stab the dude. They straight stole the hitman mission by having you play a corpse though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

FELD1 posted:

Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game, and maybe a big part of that is that every item in the game seems to have multiple uses and there are often multiple solutions to obstacles. Sure, you could set bombs at just the right time to kill a wizzrobe, but if you fire an arrow and plant a bomb at the same time you end up creating an exploding arrow then you can just explode those fuckers like you're goddamn Rambo. If you toss the boomering and grab the flying rooster (what a strange phrase without context) the boomerang will fly below you obliterating everything in its path. Instead of hitting the soft back end of the guys with cubone helmets in front, just use the hookshot to remover their armor. Hell, as soon as I get the roc's feather, the shield goes straight to my inventory and I dodge-tank everything in the game like a boss. drat, I love that game.

Conversely, I was very disappointed when I got the whip in Skyward Sword. It was useful for one thing: swinging from predetermined swingy-poles. I kept trying to disarm Moblin's like I was Indiana Jones, but no dice. I guess I like games that let me play around with the skill set in creative ways. Thankfully, there are a good amount of games out there that scratch that itch.

I can't find anything by googling on the internet, but I remember killing the first phase of the final boss by whipping out a mushroom. That's probably my favourite random thing in link's awakening.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

Their previous game, UnEpic, was a horrifically unfunny piece of poo poo but one of the few actual good jokes was a similar meta goof where you fight an enemy with mind control powers and he keeps using them to turn the game against you and make you start over. The ultimate middle finger to the player is that if you do manage to finally beat him then if you have a teleport item in your inventory he makes you use it to leave so you have to fight him all over sgsin.

I bought unepic after someone said it was good. Everything was so drat small I couldn't see my inventory or read any of the text in the game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Leavemywife posted:

I don't need to know anything about the Yakuza series beyond that.

The mini 4WD drive races are great.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641127&userid=178378&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post471300994

I posted it here.

Although to add to it, it is interesting how each side (The Main 5 and Nene) both take their own worlds for granted, and recognise the usefulness/worth of the other. Nene takes for granted that when he restored his version of the world he will rule it, never considering the fact that restoring his world will give everyone magic and make everyone capable of challenging him, he never considers that other people may turn out better than him at magic (admittedly it is unlikely, but it does happen - he get taken out because 5 children turn out to be stronger than he is even powered up by a magic engine). However he sees the people on the surface, notices that they are strong, and tasks them will fulfilling his plans. He considers the surface world to be the means that will lead him to the end - the restoration of what he knew before.

The main characters are the same way - they assume that their version of the world is the default, the way that things should be, and that Nene is some kind of intruder. However the opposite is true - the planet is a giant magic engine that has been falling into disrepair for centuries without the ancients to keep it running.
However, Nene's world is useful as hell to them, from Maromaro's drill to the medicine, to the Mechat airship they are always finding something valuable, whether out of usefulness like the tools, or just because they're cool people to hang with, like the robots.

The primary difference is how they enforce things - Nene dies because he tries to destroy a new world that has value in return for a long dead civilization of which he is the sole surviving member - Shu and friends succeed because when the world that is new to them is revealed, they embrace it. They don't understand it, but they don't cling to nostalgia and try to rebuild their old civilizations - The Devee village is melted by heavy rain, Talta is wrecked by countless landsharks, Devour village is infested with man-eating mobile trees and the capital city is literally sawed in two with the rest of the world, there is no rebuilding any of that poo poo - as soon as the danger is past and Nene is dead, they move right in, and take advantage of tools that are new and exciting to most of them, but old hat by that point to Shu and friends. They accept that Nene's world is the new norm and find a new peace, the way Nene could have if he'd just let of his obsession with his past and found something new to do on the surface.

I won't read your spoiler, buy drat i wish I could play that game. Never got around to it after playing lost odyssey

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is silly, hamster wheels/balls are bad for rats' spines and would make them unfit for battle.

From what I know about warhammer nothing tends to live that long anyway.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I got the danganronpa 3 demo to see what the hype is all about. One of the bear things in the trial says he wants everyone to shut up so he can get around ripping and tearing everyone's huge guts.

gently caress yeah a doom comic reference in a Japanese anime courtroom game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pook Good Mook posted:

Isn't Wildlands Ubisoft? Given the choice, always assume they will disappoint and under-deliver rather than surprise and over-deliver.

I don't know why people are excited about their new pirate game.

Isn't it just the black flag thing? I only watched half the trailer and it looked like it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

Hell if I know what inspired me to look this up but I really dug those train track puzzles in Mickey's Racing Adventure.

That whole game was really good, and this makes me want to replay it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Blind Sally posted:

Infested Planet

This is a great game. The battles can really swing back and forth as you throw your bp into different things to counter the enemy evolutions.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

R-type final was ps2 only though? I played a bit of delta, but was never able to play final. So many ships.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The music levels at the end of worlds in Rayman Legends are fun. I always like the rhythm of the sprint/ chase levels and the black betty one was really well done. Still need to do the last two worlds, and the origins levels. Hope they included the flying sidescroller level!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cool and good new smash characters that won't happen:
Doomguy/baron of hell from SNES era doom.
The dude from ninja Gaiden
Jack Nicklaus from the golf game on NES
Someone from beat'em ups, the Lee bros or abobo or something
Joe & Mac
The smash tv contestants would be a perfect fit

Edit: Jack Nicklaus' nickname was "the Golden Bear". Intimidating!

ilmucche has a new favorite as of 11:26 on Jun 14, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It was also a really nice "I can't be arsed" way to escape situations or get some of the guarded collection items. Just hit the button, your assassins come and kill the guards and you saunter off.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Didn't prison architect do the same?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Quote-Unquote posted:

edit: oh, wait, I also made a Max Payne sim. He was in great physical shape and had a job as a cop. His wife died while he was at work and CPS came and took the baby, so when he got home he went mental and started drinking himself to death. I took him out into town where he just started beating the poo poo out of everyone.

I've never been particularly interested in the sims, but that sounds amazing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Used Yakuza 0 is on steam. Is that the good one to start with? Is it the one with mini4wd??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

20 bucks. Here's hoping my cranky old laptop can run it.