Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Tunic is just swell and I hope the old-school NES manual translation thing doesn't get old because figuring stuff out in this game is extremely satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Last Celebration posted:

You playing the Switch version? It kinda seemed neat but afaik there’s no previews/reviews for that version specifically so idk if I wanna take the plunge before knowing it has parity with the other versions.

PS5. I’m playing it 100% blind. The “eureka!” moments when you figure something out using the manual or fiddling with mechanics are just perfect. I even managed to sequence break a little without realizing that’s what I was doing.

There are two things I don’t like much about the game:
-Not being able to rotate the camera is super annoying in some places but that’s really an aesthetic/design choice.

-The combat is “clunky” for lack of a better word. Lock-on breaks too easily, your little guy’s attack range is incredibly short and the parry is far too slow to be useful except in very specific situations. Also the game seems to break its own rules a lot. Some enemies indicate an incoming attack by flashing right beforehand and some don’t. Hell, some have two attacks - one that flashes and one that doesn’t. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it and it can be frustrating. Fighting multiple opponents at the same time can be extremely difficult.

Anyway, there’s a good chance all of that is intentional because you’re a little fox guy who isn’t supposed to be a superhero.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Oct 2, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Zoig posted:

yeah if that part sucks just turn on the assist mode stuff to be invulnerable, the best part of the game is the puzzles anyways and i did that myself when dealing with the boss deep underground, you know the one.

I just figured out the stupid door puzzles and I did it almost totally by accident and I have no idea how you’re supposed to figure that out in your own.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Although you don’t directly fight cerberus, he is your dad’s summon on the highest difficulty setting for that boss fight and he will absolutely gently caress you up

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Literally everything about Inscryption. If this isn’t game of the year I don’t know what is. Holy poo poo.

Really sucks that there’s no real way to talk about why it’s so amazing without ruining it for others and to do so would be criminal. I don’t think a game has ever shocked me as much as this has. It’s amazing. Please play inscryption. It just came out on consoles for like $20 and it’s worth every penny.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

SLOSifl posted:

This review is intense as gently caress.

Made me look up a little info and i’ll add it here:

Devolver Digital of Hotline Miami, Enter the Gungeon, apparently 300 Serious Sam games, Shadow Warrior

Roguelike, card-based

Found footage (?? or !!)

Game within a game or something

I’m intrigued.

Don’t read anything about it until you have played it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

credburn posted:

I played a few minutes into Inscryption and didn't care that much about it. I like card based uhhh whatever this is, generally. It just didn't intrigue me very much.

I'm not a big fan of card games either but the weird creepy vibe got me hooked and you really need to keep playing it. There's a payoff

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I vaguely remember borrowing that game from a friend and playing it over and over until I finally beat that underwater level only to be promptly run over by unavoidable steam rollers leading to a game over and I just said “gently caress it”

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Prodeus is so goddamned good. Most fun I've had with a FPS since Doom 2016 and the soundtrack is just amazing but why oh why does the sniper rifle not have a zoom? WTF is even the point?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

Think of it less as a sniper rifle and more Doom 2016's Gauss Cannon in siege mode

I’m getting better with it but enemies attack from so far away you almost need a zoom - like, there are places when you are clearly meant to use it to snipe/counter-snipe far-off enemies but it’s hard without any zoom at all. The fact that shotguns aren’t able to hit more than one enemy is annoying too but overall I’m having a great time with it. Also auto-sprint should be on by default. Turning that on and rebinding dash/dodge to the O button makes the controls feel a lot tighter.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Oct 30, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
And then Chris hit the roids and it all went downhill from there

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

Large Chris Redfield built me a tank with a chainsaw arm attached to it so I will not hear a word against him.

I guess I shouldn’t complain. There was that time my house was about to be crushed by an enormous runaway boulder while my wife and children were inside and Chris just punched it in half like it was nothing. Sure, the boulder shards killed my neighbor’s dog and caused thousands of dollars in property damage but you can’t put a price tag on safety

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Hector Delgado posted:

Any kid knew this was the true bible back in 1986

Book was filled with secrets like that. It's Goonies 2 maps were invaluable

ooohh gently caress. I had that.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

NonzeroCircle posted:

The detail in some of the NPC body language in Cyberpunk 2077 is so good.
I'm at the scene where Judy is having a cigarette on the roof after something happens and the amount of subtle expression is genuinely incredible

Late to the party but did they ever fix the PS5 optimization issues? I really do want to play Keanu Reeves Deus Ex

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

jokes posted:

I’m extremely hyped for it.

twinkle twinkle little star...

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cleretic posted:

Dark Souls 2 has perhaps the best NPCs in the series in terms of pure fun value. I love the ladder vendor that gives you one too short to save you from the fall afterwards if you cheap out.

Chloanne owned. Gilligan owned. The weird talking head whose body tries to murder you down near Freija owns.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The original subnautica was so goddamned terrifying. It’s the first video game I’ve ever played where I said “nope” and just turned it off like an hour in after I decided to try to go exploring underneath the ship wreckage and a horrible shrieking fish monster the size of a city bus came hurtling out of the gloom and nearly made me piss myself. The worst part is that you can hear it roaring in the distance when it spots you but you can’t loving see it until it’s far too late.

That weird feeling of vulnerability you get from floating in deep water combined with the knowledge that everything is alien and weird and your utter lack of mobility near the start of the game was just pure blind terror for me. It was better once I got the mini-sub/big sub but that game gets an A++ for atmosphere.

I think this thread actually got me to pick it up and keep playing after I quit and it was absolutely worth it. Putting “that area” right near the start of the game really hammers home “you aren’t safe here” and had me jumping at shadows for the rest of the game. Brilliant piece of game design

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm still salty years later after picking up Subnautica solely on account of goons talking about stuff like this, only to quit it shortly after realizing it was all that but also a resource collection/crafting game. I know, it's 100% my fault for not researching further, I just keep thinking about the terrifying underwater adventure I envisioned that had nothing to do with all that other stuff :sigh:

Well it scared the poo poo outta me. I loved the weird alien environs and your total inability to meaningfully defend yourself (more or less). I guess I never had played a “resource crafting game” before?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you manage to scan that particular thing one way or another, you learn a fun fact: the roar is a form of sonar- if you can hear it, it knows where you are. Also, climbing out of the water doesn't necessarily protect you, as it can and will leap out of the water towards you.

Also that they committed to you not really having any real weapons, it doesn't go all Monster Hunter- threats remain threats for pretty much the entire game, you have to learn to work around them.

I never bothered with torpedoes because they seemed like a waste of resources. Once you get the shock field thingy for the mini-sub, it's pretty easy to just let them grab you, shock the poo poo out of them and then either run away or play dead until they gently caress off. I built a base in those acid caverns right near the home of the one in your avatar. He wasn't nearly as terrifying as the reapers and I treated him like a big dumb angry puppy.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's definitely a thing where after enough encounters with the giant monsters the novelty wears off a bit, which to be fair helps you to actually explore deeper. Also fun thing about the scans, your attitude has it about right; the Reapers are voracious predators who see you as prey, but Ghosts are primarily filter feeders that are just territorial- after giving a headbutt they start to swim away expecting you to have gotten the message.

...that said, if you are where you think you are, the ones you find underground are juvenile Ghost Leviathans, a bit more aggressive and hungry. You'll know if you meet an adult.

There’s an adult that patrols the deep ocean on the way down to those acid caverns. I gave it a wide berth and it never bothered me.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

There's a place late game with a bunch of them chillin' right next to a Grace that was (is?) a popular rune grinding spot, but I never used it because I do not wish to harm these happy guys.

The variety near that grace point are all blood red, worship a blood god and have devil horns

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Wait, THAT is what gyroids are for?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Rockman Reserve posted:

Incredible.

That movie is completely underrated.

Lol no it was absolutely horrible

Adbot