Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Alhazred posted:

I like how the police shouts holy poo poo when you disarm them in Mirror's Edge.

Maybe I'm childish but I really enjoy it when your enemies swear super loud. I fell in love with Condemned: Criminal Origins when my first interaction with any enemy went like

"Federal agent, come out peacefully or I will use force"
"gently caress YOU"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

grittyreboot posted:

I just picked up Diablo III the other day. One of the witch doctor's attacks is to throw adorable little frogs at his enemies :3:

Also, I love his little head wiggle.

I think the male witch doctor is by far the friendliest of the D3 gender/class combinations. Dude is just so pleased to be helping out.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I saw a preview of SR4 when I was at PAX East 2013 and I was skeptical because I didn't really like 3, but holy poo poo did I enjoy 4 when it came out.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I remember stuff like that from ages ago. I think there was a Sonic game on the Genesis where he'd tap the fourth wall to get your attention if you were idle too long.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I saw a dota 2 video the other day that featured an element of the game that's insanely rare but hilarious in context. If you charm/dominate an enemy ranged unit while its projectile is in midair, the team ownership of the attack changes - thus if you're about to die to something owned by your opponent, you have the ridiculously quick-reflexed option to make the damage come from yourself, functionally committing suicide and cheating your enemy out of a kill.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I just finished Dishonored finally, and I love that you can sign your name in the guestbook during the party mission. My friend summed up the two best outcomes for it well: either you murder everyone at the party and when the city watch investigates later, the only clue they find amidst the chaos is your name in the book, or nobody has any idea that anything is amiss except for the fact that Lady Boyle is missing, and again, the only clue is your name in the book.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
If you didn't beat RE4 with the knife and unupgraded original pistol then you haven't lived. You'd be surprised how many bosses are stabbable when you run out of bullets for the 30th time.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Pneub posted:

I personally think RE3 had a better head pop sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auopTDzsz28 (video containing like 200 headshots)

The unfortunate thing about this particular video is that all the headshot squishes get covered up by the time-up sound :( but RE3 was actually a pretty spectacular game in itself with the powder-combining metagame element to it. Picking your battles fighting Nemesis and getting access to pretty ridiculous upgrades if you gamed it appropriately, gently caress I miss that now. RE3-Code:Veronica-RE4 was a pretty magical time to be alive.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
So any time a cat freaks out and goes tear-assing around the house, they're running from an angel fight in an alternate dimension? That makes sense now.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
In the new WoW expansion there's a room in your personal garrison that gets filled up with archaeology projects as you find them, it's pretty neat.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

When you play as Barry in his half of the episode, those many months later, the drat thing is still spitting fire and you have to make a pretty lengthy detour to turn it off so you can leave through the same exit.

But on the upside when you show the final boss his gas bill he has a heart attack and dies instantly.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Walton Simons posted:

Oh, yeah, I remember burning them to 2 CDs and listening to them on the walk to and from school, most of them were just 12 minutes long but Chatterbox was an hour and the funniest thing of all time to 14 year old me. I could probably recite most of it from memory.

"Are you sane? Are you a sane caller?"
"Absolutely, Lazlow! Killer Bees!"
"K...killer bees. :smithicide:"

I literally downloaded the Chatterbox file ages ago so I could listen to it wherever. My brothers and I will still waggle our eyebrows at each other and do Fernando's "Cinco Cinco Cinco Neuve-Dos Neuve-Dos".

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Aristobulus posted:

All the interactions between characters and items has to be my favorite part about DotA2. I don't actually find the game itself to be that fun, it's kindof slow paced, but man. There's so much life and flavor and humor to all the things like announcers and poo poo. But seriously, character specific dialogue for when one character kills another, or even just sees another, and commenting on you buying specific items, I love that poo poo. Gives them all so much more personality.

The ridiculous line gimmicks they run with for some heroes is great. Tidehunter occasionally remarks upon leveling "I could eat a(n) X" with progressively larger sealife, from plankton to plesiosaur, until he reaches maximum level and simply announces "I'M STUFFED."

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Fun fact about this, during recording they played the song but didn't give any of the voice actors the lyrics so they had to sing along with/go from memory, just like you would when you were driving and a song you know but don't REALLY know comes on the radio.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
So wait, it's only the PC version of MGS5 that supports custom music? Like I couldn't do it in the Xbox One version?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

No, Xbox One can do it. It's in the Options menu somewhere. You need to import it first, then it gets added to your music.

Excellent. Time to upload a few chapters of books on tape.

Chopper flies in blaring A Farewell to Arms, the pilot shouting over the din, "I'M TAKING SOME CLASSES ONLINE, I HAVE A REPORT DUE TUESDAY"

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

graybook posted:

but I'm proud to a degree of MIKE SNATCHER.

Kanye??

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
My roommate came in last night and was like "You're still playing this? How are you not done yet?"

Dude I am 10% done with this and I've been playing almost nonstop since getting it. Sandboxes are my absolute bane and I imagine once Africa opens up it's gonna be ten times worse(better).

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

So my commute leads through a freight station full of shipping containers. Today I started feeling vaguely uneasy looking at them, until I realized what I felt was the urge to fulton them all away. This isn't going to end well. Last time it was GTA3 and I couldn't walk past a parked sports car for months without at least feeling a little twinge telling me to jump in and make a run for it.

I got this with a pressing urge to destroy smartcars when I was playing Saints Row 3.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Thin Privilege posted:

I also now have one FEMALE on my staff that's not Quiet. As a FEMALE I am pleased at this.

My girlfriend noted that one of the women on my staff was "Sky Tigress" because they HAVE to gender her callsign.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
In MGS5 the other day, I held up a guy on the edge of a cliff and demanded he get down. When most of his sprite shifted over the ledge, he very neatly and quietly dropped to his death. He followed the letter of the law if not the spirit, I'll give him that.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Novum posted:

My dude, if mgs5 is using sprites i will absolutely buy it

Well, whatever, his model. Doesn't "sprites" describe 2 or 3d objects?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
More Fallout 4 stuff:

I was wandering around the Boston Library to figure out how to get inside and kill super mutants/return a book since the doors were all locked at Advanced and I didn't have any skill for it until I noticed an intercom. I had the option to say I was an employee, and the voice asked for my ID number which triggered an option for a charisma check to just guess it, and when I picked that I went, "Uhh ... 123456?" and the voice goes "Welcome, Mr. Mayor!" and opens up. It was so unexpected I woke my roommate up laughing.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Greatbacon posted:

You could always go full 40k and just exterminate the whole colony and then repopulate it :v:

I wonder if that VATS-them-to-check-electric-resist thing would work?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Buzkashi posted:

I wonder if that VATS-them-to-check-electric-resist thing would work?

Apparently it does, but you also have to be careful because some clothing pieces grant resist, so check their gear if they come up resistant before you start blasting.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Magazines are the best item in the game and I won't hear anyone argue otherwise

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Everything Justin and Griffin McElroy do is magic

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I finally got Witcher 3 and I'm actually getting the hang of it now I think. The bestiary is a huge help with figuring out how to handle a lot of stuff, can't recommend reading that thing enough.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Holy poo poo I don't know if this is like, a specific feature or if I just accidentally did something awesome, but early on in Witcher 3 I did a job for some fire priest guy who ended up being super shady and tried to bribe me at the end, and when I declined he and his bodyguards attacked me. I killed one of the guards and was focusing on the other with the priest guy offscreen behind me, and when he rushed in to attack me from behind I think I like, just tilted the stick towards him and hit fast attack or something? Whatever non-dramatic button combination it was, Geralt just barely turned into a backhanded stroke and lopped the dude's head off in a fraction of a second before turning back to the remaining guard. I laughed for about 30 seconds straight, it was amazing. This game rules.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My favourite little thing in that was how so many people insist on picking passives and carry skills only to get utterly shut down by one guy with nukes and stuns.

The best gimmick build I ever found was sticky napalm, permanent invisibility and either dark pact or shackle. They proc the napalm about 10 times a second, so even a few stacks will explode any hero.

There used to be weird interaction with Earthshaker's Aftershock and toggle-able spells like Voodoo Restoration. You could flip them off-and-on and each on cycle would proc the area stun and damage.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Dr Snofeld posted:

I also really like the trolls, who are like big cheerful simpletons that Geralt talks to as if they were children.

The singing troll outside Novigrad is my favorite character and I want him to come with me everywhere.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Yeah Letho owns bones.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Copernic posted:

I was thinking of a fantastic Witcher 3 moment this morning. When you first meet King Radovid, and he delivers a lengthy allegory about chess and real life. I have heard similar portentous, rambling speeches from authority figures in any number of video games, and they're always taken extremely seriously. Then Geralt listens to this same type of spiel, and rightfully concludes that Radovid is out of his loving mind, because who meets someone and monologues on chess?

The game bugged for me right after that scene and I had to reload, and when Radovid asks you if you understand what he's trying to say and you choose "Yes" he's like "No you don't, you idiot." On my second try I was curious to see the other option and if you say no he goes "Of course you don't, you idiot." He's just a big ol' jerk no matter what.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I just looked the list up and I'm kind of disappointed there's no Vonnegut there.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Oh wow I totally missed that one, well :shrug:

That definitely makes sense, though, seems like the kind of thing to go the less obvious route.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Action Tortoise posted:

it's better than 2.

just a quick combat thing: dodge for humanoids, roll for beasties

Getting the hang of using Aard and Axii in fights made a huuuuuuuuge difference for me.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Man, playing the Witcher last night and it's crazy the amount of choices you get and how they can affect the world around you.

I was doing the Carnal Sins quest and just skewered Nathaniel the moment I caught up with him, but something didn't sit well with me, so I reloaded and gave him some time to talk first (THEN skewered him). If I had just pat myself on the back and moved on, the real murderer's plan would have worked perfectly and he'd have kept killing freely. I got tricked by an rear end in a top hat vampire. Also Joachim is my favorite throwaway character so far, what a badass and indepth loving backstory given to a dude you spend five minutes with.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
My roommate is a very nice guy but a huge dope, one of the first conversations we had was about video games, and he goes "Man, have you played GTAV? I beat it in like three days and brought it back to the store in time to get a refund," and I'm like "Iiiiiiiiiii think you missed the point of that game"

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

There's a comment in there like "make one where he pulls out the magazine, throws the gun away, and then puts another gun on the magazine" and I am dying to see it get done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

toasterwarrior posted:

There was one in the Battlefield Hardline video.

Ohhh yeah, I just went back and checked. It's kind of subtle with the gun going out of frame so gently, it basically just looks like they took the magazine out and put it right back in the same gun, I'm talking about a blatant "toss the gun away and reach down below the screen for a new one while the magazine stays in the frame" kind of thing. Still funny though.