Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently started playing Devil May Cry 4 again, and it reminded me of a couple of really neat touches:

I think it's been brought up in the thread already, but there are 2 kinds of enemies in the game: regular old demons and things that have been animated by the evil pope, and the game actually separates these enemies in different "factions" which fight each other if they get the chance. By itself, I don't think that it's anything to write home about, but the fact that you almost never see the enemy in-fighting on the normal difficulty, but it happens all the time in the bloody palace or on higher difficulties makes it a cool little nugget of world-building, and shows the level of care that went into the gameplay. Care that obviously didn't go in designing new areas for the second half of the game...

Also something that I'm not 100% certain about, but I think that the "air guitar" taunt goes on for as long as you want if you do it on a SSS rank.

In the Special Edition, when you play as one of the new characters, all cutscenes are removed (you still get short little bookend videos), which is perfectly understandable and fine. However, if you play as Vergil, there's one super short cutscene when you reach the underground laboratory that's been edited to make it seem like he sliced a blast door open (in the original Nero cutscene, enemies do). Simple, but pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

WD2 could have a bunch of insufferable assholes as its protagonists, but it went and had a group of likeable dudes who actually seem like real human beings.
They are much, much better than Aiden and his family were, but to me they really seem more like the cast of a version of the Breakfast Club from an alternate reality where John Hughes was way into 4chan than real human beings.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

suuma posted:

Lol if you shot guns in SR4

Why are you NOT shooting the dubstep gun 24/7?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

poptart_fairy posted:

World War 2 media has been ripping itself off for aeons.

Or at least 72 years.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Leal posted:

I like the concept of the item world in the Disgaea games. Hitting a roadblock, need to grind? To the item world, not only is there a bunch of mobs that are actually pretty easy to kill (I've had a level 8 character one shot a level 60 mob) and after everything is said and done the item you used also gets stronger. Level up a character then give them the powered up weapon/armor, two birds with one stone.

I have extremely mixed feelings about Disgaea 5, but the early game (all of the main story content) is awesome about that kind of thing. It's been a while since I played last, but if I remember right, if you ever get stuck in a mission, you can go to the item world to power up an item you like and maybe get the next tier of the same item. While you're there, you can capture residents and double their power, and once they're captured you can move them to another item if you end up ditching the first one. As you use skills, they level up individually which makes them do more damage, but also changes the size and shape of their AoE. You can send some of your team members on missions which makes them level up and bring back useful items. You can put people in squads and level up those squads to unlock super useful abilites. You can capture and interrogate enemies (I honestly forget what it's good for, but I remember doing it often, so it must have been good). You can unlock new classes by leveling up the first ones, and then you can either create new characters or reincarnate your existing characters into new classes from level one, but with a bonus to their base stats (and reincarnation is so much simpler than I remember it being in Disgaea 1). You can turn enemies (I think?) into items that give a permanent stat boost. All of it works really well to make your characters stronger without it feeling like you HAVE to grind, and is, in my opinion, the smoothest difficulty curve of any Disgaea game.

It completely falls apart in the post-game though.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Nov 22, 2017

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Rough Lobster posted:

WHO HOLDS A PHONE LIKE THAT?
It's pretty funny, I'm reading your post and looking at the thumbnail while holding my phone in pretty much the same way, only with my pinky holding the phone up. If there's an excuse for the character not to use their left hand, I'd say it's good.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Nude posted:

I always dig little references. Like how Lazlow (one of the radio guys) gets his start on the Vrock Vice City station (which is 80's) and then eventually moves to Liberty City (90's) and has his own channel. Another little thing is Vcs has some of the best radio stations and they are all references to the ps2 stations.
I even think that in GTA3 he says that he got fired from the Rock station and started working for Chatterbox.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia but CT is the most fun I have ever had in an online game.
I loved PT's and CT's asymmetrical multiplayer, but I had the most fun in Conviction's co-op. Back when that game came out I was living with a roommate and we laughed our asses off every night for a week playing this loving thing. We tried playing it "right" (sneaking past 10 enemies) for an hour or so, then realized that it was much easier (and more fun) to go in with shotguns, raise the alarm and just slaughter 20 enemies.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I thought it was just "Da" and "Son" were father and son. I didn't (don't) get "Mony".

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Tumble posted:

There is a well done Youtube channel where the guy makes cool, in-depth videos explaining and detailing all sorts of crazy poo poo in the WH40k universe: https://tinyurl.com/y75exo72

The tyranid one in particular is what made them my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=intJPrVtNh4
This is crazy, I just discovered that channel and started watching some of the videos, but was thinking of giving up because there's like an entire day of content on there, the playlist isn't ordered and his videos reference things that I have no idea about. In the "Imperium of man" video (or the one for the Emperor?), he says it's the third one of the series, but it's like the 10th in the playlist, and already it's talking about Crusades and Heresy and things in not-actually-latin that I have no clue about.

Is there an order to those that you could recommend? I'd really like to watch the whole thing, but as it is, I keep droning off because I can't understand 80% of them.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Agent355 posted:

Disgaea 5 came to PC recently so I'm tromping through another grindfest happily.

I don't really mind most grinding in games anyway, I can chill and watch movies while making progress doing random crap in a game, but the way grinding works in Disgaea games is so god drat satisfying. I haven't reached the post game yet but I'm already excited to get that exp engine rolling and play with all the systems.

I don't want to be a downer in the feel good thread, but I felt exactly the same as you do now when I first played Disgaea 5; I was having a lot of fun with the 10 different ways you can make your dudes stronger, but in the post-game, there's only one way to grind if you want to make a viable team and it kind of sucks.

Still, you'll get literally 100 hours before you hit that point, and it really is fun all the while!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Warbird posted:

I said I’d give you a rough order when I finished all the videos and that’s an ongoing process. That aside, the fellow that makes them finally made an ordered playlist that address your problem exactly. So go enjoy and try not to fall too deeply in that hole.

Haha, thanks so much for the heads up and for following up on that, I'll get started right away! Cheers!

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Dec 13, 2018

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Guys please stop I can't buy a full priced game UUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Exit Strategy posted:

I wonder what that kind of device would make of me. My resting heart rate is 110.

I initially read that as 10 and thought "Holy poo poo that's hosed up".

Now that I've read it correctly it's not that much better.

Edit: not trying to be a dick or insensitive to your medical issues!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Art that seems as quaint but gorgeous as Push Me Pull You but actual gameplay that entertains for more than 15 minutes?! Sign me the gently caress up!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

small ghost posted:

If DMC as a whole has one message it's that Sparda was really a terrible parent.

Arguably still better than Vergil was.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

RareAcumen posted:

I've posted quite a few of my complaints for Crash Team Racing in the past but this is a great crate idea.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

food court bailiff posted:

I've discovered in quarantine that I am weirdly enthralled by simulationist racers despite previously having very little interest in cars at all. I've been messing with GT Sport on PS4 and - after playing a few hours of GT5 on PS3 before splurging on Sport - it's really, really made me appreciate the triggers on the dual shock 4. It's like easy mode compared to the default setting on the PS3, which had face buttons as accelerate and brake like it's freaking Super Mario Kart.

I had the urge to play Burnout 3 / Revenge and so turned to PS2 emulation and I had completely forgotten that the PS2 version had the face buttons set to gas and brake (IIRC the PS2 had analog face buttons but basic bumpers) and it seriously tripped me up.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently started to play Tekken 7 again and went through a bit of the story mode, and it reminded me how much I like that characters all speak their native language. I used to bother me a bit that they all still seem to understand each other perfectly but now I decided that it means that they live in a Star Trek-esque future where everyone speaks every single language. That or they each got a Babbelfish.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Tron by way of At the Mountains of Madness

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
The game even gives you a machine to pet them from a distance. GOTY!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
When I got my PS5 I also got DMC5: Special Edition. Because it's the SE of a pretty recent game, I was still playing the regular edition when I got it, so it was a bit annoying to have to unlock everything again, but the SE additions make it so easy to bring myself back to speed. I'm pretty sure it's only by chance, but it works really really well. If you've had a bit of practice already, you can tackle the Legendary Dark Knight difficulty from the start, which spawns like 10 times as many enemies as the regular Hard difficulty, and make like 100k red orbs per level. Red orbs are also shared between characters (like the old games), so someone going from DMC5 to DMC5:SE would probably start with Vergil (the new character) on LDK and get millions of orbs in the process, then go back to Nero/V/Dante and buy all of their moves right from the start. It's not perfect since you still have to unlock a couple of things individually (and I'll be visiting the other thread to talk about it), but it's good enough to make the transition to the SE a lot more pleasant.

Other not so little things:

The PS5 makes the game load a billion times faster which fixes the only major flaw of DMC5.

Vergil is super fun to use. I haven't played long enough to say how balanced he is, but while he seems to still be pretty overpowered, it at least looks like they balanced Judgement Cut End to use more DT (and Sin DT).

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I know that Middle Earth: Shadow of War was all the rage in this thread in 2017, but I started playing it again recently and I realized how it did procedural generation right. The whole Bruz saga went very differently in my 2017 game than my 2021 game. The first time I killed him by mistake, he cheated death, I shamed him a couple times and recruited him back, then made him Overlord in the hopes that he would defend me from online people while crying "I don't want the fooooooort". Now I killed him on purpose and he came back as a zombie in the Zog quest, then I was ambushed by his brothers trying to avenge his death(s).

I also like the ActRaiser-like vibe of the 2 types of gameplay.

I also love that they haven't fixed the bug where a hundred orcs spawn on the exact same point so you can just jump in there, poison everyone, leave, come back a half hour later and pick up a million gems.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

christmas boots posted:

Re: Fallout 4
One of my roommates at the time was annoyed that they didn’t have a voice clip for “Ean” but they did have one for “Mr. Fuckface”

What's the difference?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

OutOfPrint posted:

Like A Dragon is one of the best and most loving parodies of JRPGs I've ever seen. The in-game explanation for why combat us turn based is because the protagonist is a nerd and contextualizes everything through the lens of being a Dragon Quest game.

Even though, instead of the party being comprised of scrappy kids, the first three are a 42 year old ex con, a 41 year old homeless guy, and a 59 year old former DMV agent.

I thought that in jRPGs people retired at 30 and died at 35?!?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently got the Disgaea remaster of the remake on Switch. I was a huge fan of the original on PS2, but I didn't really like the "sequels" that NIS published right after (I think they actually were older games that only got published in the West after Disgaea got popular) so I never played the proper sequels until Disgaea 5 a few years ago, and when I played D5 I thought that the main game was extremely good (the mechanics, mind you. The story was garbage) but the post-game was REALLY railroad-y; like there was only one way to level up your characters, and that was to grind the same level over and over with a particular attack from a particular class.

I kind of expected something similar when I got back into the original Disgaea because I remember spending a LOT of time in Cave of Ordeal 3 back in 2003, but you can get through a good 90% of the post-game with just regular play in the Item World. The first time I followed a guide which I think must have been made to get to Baal in the least amount of time, but unfortunately that involved leveling up for literal hours on a single map, reincarnating and re-leveling up, then running for the best sword in the game, then grinding gladiators, then just bashing your way through all the content you had left.

This time, I'm just taking breaks from the main game to level up items, which levels up my characters, which unlocks new classes and allows me to subdue me innocents and provides new tiers of items which I then level up... Without feeling the grind at all, I got the penultimate sword, axe, staff and fist weapon, I can pass any bill in the senate and I can take on most post-game maps, and I'm pretty sure that by the time I get even one of the ultimate weapons and level it up I'll have unlocked everything in the game.

There are WAY fewer mechanics in D1 than in D5, but the progression is so much more natural and fun!

My memory is also a little fuzzy, obviously, but the remake and/or remaster seem to have improved a few things, like being able to cancel animations, change a move order without cancelling it, etc.

Almost 20 years later, the first Disgaea is still the best Disgaea! (says someone who's only played 1 and 5)

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

John Lee posted:

I won't get into any further details 'cause I don't want to start a slapfight, but it's interesting how there's such a difference between us!

Oh, man, no worries! I have to admit that my first time playing D1 it really seemed like CoO3 (X-X-X-down-down-X-down-down-down-down-down-X-up-X-X-repeat) was the only way to grind, but this time around, probably because I remember where most things are AND because I don't mind "wasting" time in order to avoid doing the grind, find that just dicking around in the Item World works wonders, whereas the one and only time I played D5, I felt like the time I spent doing anything in the first half of the game was wasted compared to having a Sage grind that one level and turn everything into a stat-boosting item.

I'll fully admit that I gave up on D5 way earlier than I did D1; maybe I didn't give it a fair shake.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Will Half-Life 3 never exist because Bio will never have played it?

How does causality work?!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Warbird posted:

Did HZD's PC port ever get to a good place? I remember it having performance problems in a big way for lots of folks. Also, it the moment to moment gameplay actually fun? I'm not knocking the game or folks liking it, but I understand it to be of the Assassin's Creed school of game design and while there isn't anything wrong with that it can get old.

The combat in HZD goes through phases. Very early on it's mainly about hitting weak spots from stealth, which is basic but fun enough. It's not long before bigger dinobots start showing up, and my unpopular opinion is that the game becomes a bit tedious at this point because you have to use elemental weaknesses and effects but your tools are still limited (depending on how you decide to explore the map, you're likely to only have one weapon per element, so anything weak to electricity you have to kill with tripwire, for example). When you start getting better weapons, which can either be an hour into the game or close to the mid point, the combat becomes really fun. You have a lot more options regarding how to deal elemental damage, more options for traps, and that lets you fight the more impressive dinos and the bigger packs. At this point the game really shines because it's pretty good at forcing you to juggle planning, stealth, accuracy, quick reflexes and luck and the end result is a really cool looking fights with tons of explosions, slow motion and pretty colors. With any luck, this part can represent 60% of the game. After a while though, as you get better and fight the same types of robots, and as you get more and better gear, even the hardest fights become easy and rote, and you don't really fight new robots for the rest of the main game.

The DLC is extremely well-balanced for this though, so once you get there the combat gets great again, until you get the best DLC weapons, at which point it gets a bit too easy and rote again.

So, in my opinion, it goes good-meh-great-meh, then great-meh again once you hit the DLC. The great parts can be 60-70% of the game if you get the purple weapons early and don't grind mods, though.

I have to admit I haven't tried the hardest difficulty setting, which probably alleviates the bit about the game being too easy.

Fighting humans is bad and it's the main reason I've never played the game on the hardest setting.

Edit: removed a phrase I just realized I'm not comfortable using anymore. Apologies.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Jul 24, 2021

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Son of Rodney posted:

Women in video games have traditionally been either big titty bombshells or petite pixie dream girls, and gamer incels can't really deal with them being despicted a normal people, still.

HZD also has relatively plausible outfits and not just skin-tight catsuits and micro-skirts. The only one with much exposed skin is the desert/warm weather outfit so it fits (plus, in my opinion, it's one of the least useful ones so I never wear it). There's a bunch of mods for the PC version to make the shield-weave look like the exposed-midriff one, but what are you gonna do...

Returnal's protagonist Selene also caught a lot of flak for having a human person's face instead of looking like a sex doll, and I find this very frustrating because it sends the message that gamers don't want people to look like people in their videogames.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

TheMostFrench posted:

I think in defence of skin tight clothes, that kind of stuff is just way easier to animate, because it literally can just be a skin instead of a separate model. Now that technology is way better, animators can afford to devote more memory and cpu resources into the unique, loose fitting clothes (and hair) of characters.

I agree to a point, but I think there's a difference between realistic tight clothes like skinny jeans, like in Control, and rendering each buttcheek individually, like in Mass Effect. Even in older games, it was only ever women (and Solid Snake) who got that kind of treatment, and men mostly got regular clothes.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Captain Hygiene posted:

I enjoy how Aloy is equal parts oblivious to and tediously annoyed by everyone's romantic advances, much like me, the player

To me, romances in video games are always awkward and badly written, so if I can't be rid of them entirely, at least I can appreciate when they're limited to "thanks but no thanks. I'm hunting dinosaurs and my dead clone mom".

I remember being super surprised in KotOR when, after ignoring him (and everyone) for most of the game, Carth came at me at the end of the game, out of the blue, saying that he read the signs or whatever and he wanted to gently caress me. It really felt like Obsidian thought there HAD to be at least one romance, so you're gonna take you Carth and like it.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Agents are GO! posted:

KOTOR 1 was Bioware, 2 was Obsidian.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense, I think I remember Mass Effect 1 having the same "SOMEONE has to fall in love with you" moment.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
God dammit, I was trying to wait for at least a tiny sale...

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
There's a lot I don't like about The Division 2, but there's one detail that I really appreciate: when using the M1 Garand, if you reload it from empty, you reload 5 rounds at once, from a clip, but if you reload while there are still some rounds in the magazine, you load more rounds one at a time. You also can't load an extra round on the chamber like most other rifles. I don't know much about guns, but it sounds right.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently started Mad Max again and while it's far from a perfect game, one thing that I think it does well is handle its sense of post-apocalyptic scarcity (at least at the beginning of the game, I'm not that far in yet). Ammo is rare enough that you really appreciate finding some, but your carry limit is low enough that you're still incentivized to use it. Gas isn't exactly "rare", but it's found in places that make sense, and your car uses so little of it that it only becomes a problem in very specific situations, like when you find a vehicle in the wild. I think most systems serve their purpose really well.

I mostly compare it to Days Gone, where there's gas and ammo EVERYWHERE but you can't carry any of it and your bike makes 200 feet per gallon just to force you to scavenge all the time.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

But once you have one of the fortresses on-side and build up the rep / tools they offer you can have a full gas tank and full health / water every time you go there, and you can fast travel any time from anywhere for free, I kinda wish they'd kept it a bit more scavengy throughout.
Yeah, I'm starting to build the different stations in the first fortress and that plus upgrades that allow you to find and carry more ammo/water already kind of threw that balance out.

Beartaco posted:

I feel like resources stopped being scarce in that game immediately, like, seconds after the first tutorial mission ends.
I would argue that when you can only carry 3 shotgun shells and one shiv, there's a nice balance between wanting to use them because you want to be able to pick more up if you find some and wanting to keep them because they're so useful and rare.

Same with water; at the beginning you can only carry enough to heal you once and every source is mostly empty so you have to find 2 or 3 to fill your canteen even once, and if you're at half health you hesitate to use it because there might be food nearby and you might want to give your water to stranded people you come across.

Gas is a little different, but I like the way it works. There's gas in every camp and your car uses very little of it so you rarely, if ever, run completely out normally, but it still allows the game to have little "puzzles" like a parked scrapulance with no gas that you have to fill yourself or a loot location where you need to bring your own canister to blow up a door.

But as NoneMoreNegative said, it really doesn't take long (like, 2 hours after my original post) before you can just fast travel to your base and get full gas, water, health and ammo, and the game really showers you with Griffa tokens so after a few hours every water source will fully fill your canteen, your car basically stops using gas and you can carry 7-8 shells and 4 shivs.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ImpAtom posted:

I love the health bar thing even if logically it makes no sense because it is in the one place you can't personally see it.

I mean, it's a bar that represents your health, I don't think in the real world you'd need to see it (because, as we all know, if you're hurt there will be red jelly in your eyes). I choose to think it's for when people see their buddy floating about in low gravity they know if they're hurt, really badly hurt or dead and can decide to hurry or take their time accordingly.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Triarii posted:

Honestly I liked Prototype better for that. Spiderman felt a bit too automatic, like I was mostly just holding forwards and watching pretty animations play, while Prototype made me feel like I was fully controlling a character and all of their actions.

For all its faults, the 360 remake of Bionic Commando (re-armed?) could make you feel really good about swinging everywhere because it required a bit of skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Oh yeah! At least in the first one, you have to leave the animus, then quit to menu, then quit to desktop, and most of those steps involve a loading screen.