Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
The whole DX:HR thing gets mixed up because of the final act of the game. Its clearly setting up an entirely new set of haves & have nots (and the have nots who try to "improve past their station" get hosed over because they can't afford the anti rejection drug) and then the final act turns that all on its head by having all the augmented go crazy and kill a million people in a few hours Its essentially a terrorist attack - something that causes a society to turn on itself in fear. I haven't played the second game yet but it will be neat to see what comes out of that.

I think its cool that a game can actually have nuanced opinions about things. Different characters in the game clearly believe different things and take action according to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
it is funny that whomever is responsible for animations in the the DX series at eidos is still hilariously incompetent. They were bad in HR and they are still bad in MD.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That song is an incredibly blatant rip off of This is Halloween.

No kidding - they didn't even bother changing the music or the voices, I wonder if you laid them over each other if they would still match.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm playing the new Deus Ex Mankind Divided and I love the writing. I mean, i'm only halfway through and i hear the plot eventually shits itself but the way they handle characterizations of random NPCs is really awesome. There are just a few "rawr i'm evil because i'm an evil npc because i'm evil" types, most of the "big bads" at the end of the sidequests are just regular people trying to make due in a really lovely situation. It's spectacular that after every confrontation, i'm like well I can see where your coming from yeah it sucks.

I liked that in order to beat the quest where your investigating a drug ring, you have to have a philosophical debate with the lead chemist over whether or not people have the right to do what they want to their bodies. I genuinely had to replay the conversation a few times because the first time i was like, well poo poo I agree with you go ahead and keep dealing drugs. Then i reloaded and was like, gently caress you i'm gonna blow up your poo poo. Then later I'm looking into a counterfeiting ring and it turns out the lead forger is a good Samaritan who just wants to help people but was kidnapped by a corrupt cop and forced to extort people.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

LawfulWaffle posted:

These seem at odds with one another.

He only likes being controlled by people who he has paid millions of dollars too.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
This thread totally got me into watching an LP of SOMA. drat all of the spoilers are super tempting

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
The whole game is better in the vigilante outfit. Theres just something so smooth about Wei wearing leather gloves. Or the bright yellow jumpsuit, that one rocks too.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm in the middle of Rise of the Tomb Raider and I loving love it. It cobbles together a bunch of mechanics from the last decade but does it in a way that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Its open world, but each area is tiny and there are only like 20 minimap icons to collect instead of 100
It has a very naturally progressing metroidvania where you get better items that open up new areas, without the legend of zelda thing where the main character is carrying around 20 different items or doomguy thing where he has 10 different guns. I mean, it does get a little silly with Lara carrying a shotgun AND a rifle, but otherwise its all stuff that someone who got stranded while mountaineering would have. Like attaching wire to her climbing axes to make a grappling hook, or something as simple as a combat knife or lock pick. Awesome and effective
It does the "linear cinematic shooter" thing from Uncharted but for only like, 10 minutes at a time.
It has a good collection of puzzle platforming too, straight from the original Tomb Raider or Sands of Time.
The story is fairly non-generic as well. I was totally expecting a bunch of completely telegraphed twists that ended up not happening.
I like the combat as well - I'm used to too many games where can wade in and just take the hits but fighting with a bow and arrow means that i gotta stealth and I like that. until i unlocked the triple headshot power :getin:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Somfin posted:

Ah, good, we're onto "giving my opinion on something I've read someone else's opinion about." gently caress off back to :tvtropes: or stop commenting on something you've only read about third-hand.

That's quite possible. The magic jet engines, brains in jars, robots, and lightning guns- all from the opening section- were all potentially repurposed superscience, but the superconcrete that the nazis made all their buildings from was explicitly a Da'at Yichud thing.

I'm pretty sure the moon base was just the Nazis being the Nazis though.

I just finished the TNO, and while I didn't listen to every conversation and read every newspaper it was my understanding that the secret tech basically leapfrogged them 50+ years into the future and then they built everything on that basis.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Thanks thread for making me play Doki Doki Literature Club. Now I can go back and reread all those spoilers.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I get that its Cool and Good to hate on games that people like, but I really liked DDLC. I don't know poo poo about the genre, so I was happy with how everything was presented. And it ignited a love of 4th wall breaking games in me.

This is your daily reminder that because someone else likes something that you don't, doesn't mean you have to spend time telling them they are wrong. It's cool, lets just enjoy little things in games.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Calaveron posted:

Ghost Trick is also the best visual novel ever so

Ghost trick is one of my all time favorite games. I kinda want to make the bass part of the prologue my ringtone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVBDt3VRDfA&t=14s

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Leavemywife posted:

There was a lot you could do in Diablo 2, across all the classes, there were lots of builds. A fair few could take you through Nightmare, but getting into Hell trimmed it down.

Honestly, thats what POE does too. You can pretty much do anything you want from level 1-30, but getting past that requires a more optimized build, and then you hit another breakpoint at 50 where you need to be yet more optimized to get past that point, etc.

Its the same in every ARPG - as the game gets harder, your build needs to be more optimized. The difference between POE and something like D3 is D3 has four builds per class that can do the endgame and POE has hundreds.

The downside to POE is that you can't respec easily your passive tree, so if you get to level 30 and have massively hosed up your build then you have to restart. If you just chose the wrong skills, or the wrong gear, you can fix that easily. The tree is the only part you can't easily respec.

POE is the game for you if "learning the systems" and "arguing about builds" is just as much fun as actually playing the thing.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

RyokoTK posted:

lmao I loving doubt it

I mean, if you wanna fight this fight i'm not gonna stop you but there are literally 100 different skills (out of 190 possible skills), each with at least 2-3 viable builds (some with upwards of 10), currently capable of beating the end game boss. Lack of build diversity is definitely not a criticism thats super valid about this game.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Also, in all the TN* games I appreciate that BJ isn't the leader, he's the muscle. He gets the worldwide fame, but it's other people who actually lead the resistance. TNC spoiler like how grace and Horton give the final speech to the camera and BJ just stands in the background.. I know it's not much, but I like the trope reversal.

Also, Is there an in universe explanation as to why BJ can shrug off 10+ bullets and hand grenades before going down? I haven't played the new blood, do they talk about it there?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

SkeletonHero posted:

No, but considering that (spoilers for end of TNO/beginning of TNC) a single hand grenade fucks him up to the point of turning him paraplegic even after getting top-notch medical attention it probably is running on the D&D/Uncharted rule where the only real hit point is the last one and the rest is just BJ's luck/will to fight.

Alternatively, somebody in the Wolfenstein thread did the math and a fully-armored BJ is a lot tougher than the best tanks deployed in the real WWII.

e: adding another Wolfenstein little thing, this time from Old Blood. BJ can interact with a skull at one point, during which he recites Shakespeare to himself, drops it, apologizes to nobody in particular, and awkwardly places it back where he found it. It is the most realistic scene in the series, perhaps in all of gaming.

Yeah, I was under that assumption too but then the final scene in TNC happened like, your creeping up on Frau Engel with just your hatchet. No armor, no guns, nothing. And then she takes one (maybe two) point blank shots at you before you bury your hatchet in her face. I mean, i guess she could have missed but even shrugging off one bullet is typically a no-no in cutscenes

Lechtansi has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Nov 21, 2017

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean yeah its still assassin's creed and if you didnt like any of the others you wont like this one. But unity was such a poo poo show it looks great by comparison, and the Frye siblings are actually pretty likeable.

I found myself 30 hours into that game before I realized I couldn't figure out why I liked it so much. The storyline was fairly meh, the parkouring is the same as always, london wasn't especially exciting. But I finished it. My desire to complete all the missions though vanished as soon as I beat the game, so maybe I was just hoping for some story closure? I dunno.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

FactsAreUseless posted:

Remember Me is deeply underrated in general. I really like it.

on paper, remember me is exactly my poo poo. loving with memories? Check. Melee/Combo based combat system? Check. I was looking forward to it and then it came out with a wet fart. Care to give me a more accurate rundown?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Mikl posted:

I will forever love Tron 2.0 for having the weapons and upgrades have three levels of increasing quality and effectiveness: alpha, beta, and gold.

And also when one of your allies gets caught in the above-mentioned hard drive formatting and dies, and later she's back in action only she doesn't remember you, and another of your allies is all like "what? She's literally a computer program, we just restored her from backup."

Also it had an extremely saddening moment when the dude who you thought was the bad guy until then dies, and you have to fish through his PDA for a login/password combination (or maybe an IP address? I forget) and you also find the e-mails he exchanged with his mom :smith:

Also when you have to set up an exception in a firewall to allow your ally to get to the network you're on, and it involves physically rotating a huge ring so a signal can get through.

I just love Tron 2.0, ok?

Tron 2.0 is a better Tron sequel than Tron Legacy fight me

Tron 2.0 is one of my GOTY, every year. They recently released a patch on steam that made it work again. I fired it up with the widescreen mod and its still amazing. Its wonderful what good art direction (and big blocky textures) will do to a game looking good 15 years later.

Also, the way that every level had a different "memory substructure" which forced you to change up your programs was awesome. So many games fall into a groove of "this is my setup and I never change it". I mean, I still do that with Tron 2.0 (are there other weapons other than the disc? I never saw any) but it's nice to be forced to walk around with no armor for a level.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I feel like Tron 2.0 really captured the "Civilization inside a computer" thing tron was going for. The amount of nerdy in-jokes was amazing. Like, hacking into a PDA that had a tiny amount of system memory so you couldn't load many of your upgrades.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Rollersnake posted:

Tron 2.0 sounded cool to me years ago, and it still sounds cool to me now. I've never really been into first-person shooters (and I've never beaten any FPS, unless Portal counts), but is there a chance I might still enjoy it? I actually kind of like first-person platforming, but I hate games where you have to constantly quicksave to progress.

It's definitely an artifact of its time. You will wear out your quick save with it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Iv been playing the Phoenix wright games and iv gotten a little tired of the whole "Phoenix just randomly guesses all the time and gets played for a fool" thing that I felt was super overused. I thought it was just lousy writing, harping on the same gimmick all the time. then I played a different character whose famous for being clever and logical and his sections play exactly like that. He always knows what to say and is never caught off guard. Turns out it's not lousy writing, it's just that Phoenix is that dumb :allears:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Tim Burns Effect posted:

All of the sequels are less good than the original trilogy for precisely this reason imo

I feel like the new trilogy took a while to get going, but the newest Spirit of Justice game is easily the best in the series, in my book. Of course, I played them out of order (I didn't play T&T until after SOJ), so my opinions might be bad, but I'm excited to see where the series goes now that they've hit their stride.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
The best soundtrack lately has been the DOOM soundtrack - it loving rocks for kicking up a notch when poo poo hits the fan. Also, it does a great job of not being repetitive - within one song it will vary between "nothing interesting happening" and "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo" and there are a TON of variations of each. So everytime you hear it your hearing a slight variation mixed and matched with other slight variations. It's a nutso amount of work, but its awesome. Plus, in the intro sequence when you first step out of the base onto mars, the doomguy cocks his shotgun in time with the music. loving perfect.

Also, the composer is amazing. Watch his GDC talk about making the music and watch the glee is his face when he discusses putting 666 into the spectrograph for the songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

What? Explain how it's pandering when it's never mentioned or referenced outside of a comic.

It exists at all, which is clearly the homosexual agenda pushing its throbbing hard cock straight down Guy's throat.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Push El Burrito posted:

Even the annoying guy Wrench turns into a good character. It really is a good game that way.

I'm kinda bummed that watch dogs 2 was an open world game - they built a really great cast of characters and really fun plot but it suffers from the whole "you can do all the side missions in any order, so theres no followup or impact from 80% of the game" thing that happens for open world games.

Give me more long distance hacking / stealth via drones anyday ubisoft.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, just look at all the people who are gushing about a cynically calculated big studio mashup of 2016's biggest gaming buzzwords and the corpse of a franchise that was the polar opposite of Dark Souls Combat and Dad Feels.

Companies taking all the good ideas about gaming and putting them into a single video game is awesome. More of this please.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The first thing I did when I got the gloo gun was climb a nonfunctional elevator shaft. The devs were fully aware of what it could do, and did most of their actual progress gating with key cards. Which is kind of a shame; I'd've liked to see a version of the game where you really could go nearly anywhere in the station right from the start if you knew how to use your bag of tricks effectively. I understand why they didn't do that though; imagine the moaning if people sequence-broke into a lategame area and got pasted by the enemies there.

The speedrun of prey is basically this. They clip through those gates and finish the game in 7 minutes. The actual run is boring, because not much of the actual "game" is played, but its funny how simple mistakes from developers can turn the game inside out.

Heres a link, if your interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRgei-2_Fq4

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Lord Hydronium posted:

I've been playing God of War, and it does this too, and even has Atreus tell you when it's a good time to go exploring between plot missions.

Another nice touch is that all the little incidental dialogue (with shopkeepers, telling Atreus to do something) changes based on the context of the story. Like at one point Atreus starts acting like a little brat, and every time you send him to decode a rune or shoot an arrow, instead of his usual excited response he just gives this bored "Whatever".

I loved this in Horizon Zero Dawn as well. As the plot progresses, all the random NPC dialog changes to match the current place in the storyline. The sheer amount of work that went into the little details in HZD (and apparently GOW, which I havent played) is awesome.

Speaking of little things in HZD, I love the post-post apocalyptic setting. Like, your looking at something and your trying to remember what it could have been 1000 years ago and your like "oh gently caress, it was a satellite dish" or something.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Cleretic posted:

His appearance is probably less celebrated as less 'yay, Ridley specifically' and more as 'yay, more Metroid representation'. The series has so little in the way of prominent returning characters that the list of viable reps for Smash is literally just him and Samus. I mean, who else is there? Dark Samus would just be a clone even if she has other moves canonically, Kraid is five storeys tall, and nobody wants Adam in anything ever.

So far Smash is 3-for-3 on doing Ridley better than the source material, though. This one came up with a never-explored direction for him that really works, Smash 4 has a better Ridley boss fight than Other M, and Brawl came up with a Ridley cutscene so good that the actual series stole it.

I haven’t been following smash, can you give specifics about what brawl and 4 did so well?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Inzombiac posted:

WHAT

I thought that was a sub service for PS4 only.

OH poo poo

edit: I'd have to buy a DualShock, which makes sense. drat.

To be fair, Sony is bankrolling some of the most impressive exclusives of this generation. I bought a PS4 as my first console since the wii (and my first non-nintendo console since the genesis) and its been super fun.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

ItBreathes posted:

Mandatory tutorials are fine, if somewhat bothersome on replays, as long as they're snappy. There's a world of difference between "look up, look down, head to the glowing point. This is a gun, shoot it with Shift-Alt-Y. Shoot enemies to hurt them." kinds of tutorials, and the kind that drop you in a level, show button prompts for how to do things and let you play while it shows you how to do things.

The new spiderman game did this really well. The initial cutscene is of Spidey swinging around and it just naturally pans into you having control and it says "Press R2 to swing" and then bam, your swinging. It slowly adds other things on top of it. I feel like videogames have gotten pretty good at adding tools you your toolbox one at a time.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
If anyone hasn't checked out Dead Cells, I highly recommend it. They took heavy inspiration from SOTN combat and added in some awesome platforming to it. Plus lots of different weapons.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I need to get back into TWEWY - i have it on IOS and the port is REALLY good.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I bought a PS4 explicitly for H:ZD and I have no regrets. I do however regret all the other purchases i've made for it. It's not like i'm above buying a console for a single game - i've only ever purchased nintendo consoles so i can play metroid and zelda.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

exquisite tea posted:

It's cool how Horizon Zero Dawn's own version of survival witcher eagle vision is literally the holographic overlay Aloy sees with her focus.

ahem its called detective vision

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Jeza posted:

The radio in Sleeping Dogs was also one of the dopest.

I would put the soundtrack on all the drat time if all the songs weren’t already on constant rotation.

“Beep street” starting right as your about to race gets me so drat pumped.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

bony tony posted:

Hitman 2016 also makes a lot of hay out of the idea that 47 is highly skilled in everything. Play a drum solo? Hold a therapy session? Do a little twirl on the catwalk? Sure!

I mean, i guess theres not much to do for a super spy in between missions besides get good at everything.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Didn't they release all of Hitman 1s levels for Hitman 2? I haven't been able to get into the games, but i might check it out if i can get all of them in one place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Captain Hygiene posted:

Agreed, except in my mind it's because the money taints the purity of her love for violence and murder

Yeah, Samus is definitely the “you killed my parents, I’m going to murder your entire species, and hunt down and murder the entire planet of the invasive species you love” type