Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yeah dick shots are hilarious. (except when it happens to me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Playing Borderlands 2 for the first time and really enjoying it more than I did Borderlands. The "Too Close For Missles" mission was tailor made for me. I LOVE Top Gun and was giggling like an idiot through that whole mission.

For those who haven't played it:

You come across a displaced fighter pilot named Loggins who was kicked out of school for gyro pilots. The mission he gives you is this:

This is in the intro to Top Gun while Danger Zone, performed by Kenny Loggins is playing:

You have to go to the camp and steal their volleyballs and jet fuel, then light their volleyball net on fire. Through the whole thing there are references and quotes from Top Gun. Once you light the net on fire three guys named "Shirtless Dudes" attack you. They're wearing jeans, no shirts and dog tags. When you kill one (or all) of them they yell "GOOOOOSE!!". (R.I.P. Goose)

I was grinning ear to ear.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Gran Turismo 6: The trip computer at the center of the Volkswagen Golf R's gauge cluster is set to display fuel consumption - and it actually appears to change as you drive.

So then can you actually run out of gas?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Scooter is the best.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Playing through Far Cry 4 and I can't say enough about this game.

I was doing one of Longinus' quests. You come up on this ridge and the guy you're supposed to tail is below you. He pulls up in a jeep to pick up some other dudes before heading to the vault. As he pulls up he stops and jumps out of the jeep to yell at the other guys to get in. Right as he does a rhino charges in from out of nowhere and kills the three guys waiting for the target. The target jumps back in the jeep and is trying to get the jeep turned around to get away but the Rhino flips the jeep, killing the target.

Mission objective changes to collect the guys key and head to the vault. I jump down to get the key but I was still laughing a bit from what happened that I wasn't paying attention and the rhino tagged and killed me. :downs:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another FC4 thing. I was doing one of those "protect these people from the attacking animals" mini-quests and I accidentally shot the grenade launcher near an ammo crate and everything exploded. It wasn't just in a huge explosion though, it was like fireworks were going off. You could hear individual bullets going off and grenades exploding.

Of course the guys I was protecting were standing next to it and didn't move went it all went off and they all burned to death and I had to start over.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Feb 17, 2015

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In Borderlands 2 (side note: if anyone wants to play co-op I'm on Xbox Live as MarvelousPants) there's a mission to rename the Bullymongs. At one point the guy gets frustrated because his names keep getting shot down and he calls them Bonerfarts. Everyone knows this one.

During this part of the mission, though, the smaller Bullymongs get renamed to Bonertoots :3:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So....how bout those Bonertoots guys

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

If you for some reason decide to let the quest persist for your entire game (and why wouldn't you) instead of turning it in, you will find that the special rock throwing bullymongs you only encounter in the endgame areas also have 'bonerfart' added to their names (bonerfart slinger, etc.).

You can see those early in the game too. They're all over the first section just outside of Liar's Berg. Pretty sure there's some in the areas where you find Corporal Reise as you're trying to get into Sanctuary

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow, I had no idea :3: Gonna look for this next time.

Goddamn, I love BL2.

I once found a box that had "Gwen's Head" in it. I think your character yells "WHATS IN THE BOX?!?" But you also get an achievement for it. Can't remember where the hell I found it though.

It was during the Top Gun mission but I wasn't able to find it on other playthroughs.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Only just got around to playing Far Cry 4 - I'm loving the usage of wild animals. I had an elephant take an entire outpost for me because I shot its cage open, thanks Stampy! Wild animal attacks are neatly dynamic. I once made the mistake of afking after warping to a safehouse, only to step out a few minutes later to find that a tiger had ate everyone in the outpost. I still feel bad for that NPC I shot with an arrow because I tried to 360 no-scope the tiger that was chasing him.

The Shangra-la segments don't feel that fun to play, but I absolutely love the concept and look of them.

The wild animals were great. I came up on a small cliff where just below there were four guys standing near a jeep. It was some part of a mission - dont remember for what but I know had to kill one of the guys. Rhino comes in out of nowhere, the guys scatter, one of them jumps in the jeep and tries to drive off but the Rhino hits it and knocks it off the cliff, killing the guy I was supposed to kill.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That New Vegas run has been modded to use a more appealing font. Has there ever been a game where you could change the universal font in the options?

Couldn't you do that with some of the old Final Fantasies? Maybe that was just the background graphic....

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a next gen console and my computer is garbage. Graphics aside, how does MGSV on 360 stack up to the next gen versions? I assume the graphics are worse but is there any actual content missing?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only bonus content is the Day One stuff, and even then its things you will likely never use.

Cool thanks. Will probably pick it up this weekend

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sniper Party posted:

My computer is really old (i5 2500K, 460 GTX) and MGSV runs like a dream. It's the most incredibly optimised game I have ever played.

Mine is an old HP laptop that my company was going to throw away because the power supply was bad. I replaced it and now I use it to look at internet "stuff" and play starcraft 2 on.

It struggles with Starcraft so I'm guessing MGSV won't work.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Played through MGSV: Ground Zeroes last night (it's free on XBLive) and I gotta say I really have lost touch with how to play those games. Maybe it's just because I haven't played them in forever but I seriously sucked out loud at sneaking around.

That said, there was a part where I was taking hostages to put them on a helicopter and this guy kept waking up (after I tranqed him) and screwing things up for me. So I tossed him off a cliff.

I'd forgotten how much fun that was. I'm going to play through it again tonight and try to eventually 100% it, and then get Phantom Pain

e: I also like the little in-game achievements like longest head shot but my favorite has to be "Longest distance body thrown" or something like that. Its the one that tracks how far a body flies after you shoot it or have something explode near it. I nailed a guy with the tank gun and he went flying. I cant remember the exact number but it told me I broke the previous record. Is that my personal record or a pre-set one within the game?

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Oct 9, 2015

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it worth getting Dark Souls 3 if I haven't played any of the other ones? You guys talking about it makes me want to play it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

then again I was 12 or 13 and the world was still new and exciting to me so I might be biased

This checks out because I still consider FF7 one of the greatest games ever, even though I haven't played it in over 10 years.

Jesus christ that game was released almost 20 years ago.

e: It's hard to believe that there's only a 6 year jump between FF2(US) and FF7.

e2: THERE'S GONNA BE A REMAKE? :jackbud:

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Apr 27, 2016

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm only about 20% into the game but I can only remember 1-2 of the prisoners I've saved being women. Either the genders are randomly generated or Ive only done missions that have predominantly male prisoners.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

Playing Arkham Knight with the 1960s Batman outfit. The little things: the game adds white highlights and a logo to your Batmobile, making it 60s style; your cape is PLUSH compared to the default tactical one; your outfit doesn't tear, but is realistically affected by rain.

I love the alternate outfits and my favorite is the Batman Beyond one, but I wish they'd made it more sleek and form fitting like in the show and not bulky and mechanical.

I like the alternate timeline (Thomas Wayne batman) one as well.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man now I wanna play Dragon Dogma but I'm afraid I'd never leave the character creator.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Replaying Borderlands: Pre-Sequel and I like how they continually remind you that there's a story being told about what you're involved in, literally step by step. There's a part with a lot of dialogue and before it's over the characters that are being told the story cut in and talk about how bored they are with it and to get back to the killing.

At one point you're charged with saving a scientist or engineer and you find the guy and Tiny Tina chimes in "Ohhhh this guy is gonna die isn't he?". Then there's an argument over spoilers. I'm also pretty sure they change dialogue based on if you're going through the game the first time or second (or third).

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

m2pt5 posted:

I love how at the end of the first run, Tina's like "Tell it again! Tell it again! But make it sound more difficult!"

"And change the names of the bad guys!"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

I discovered yesterday that I somehow own that game even though I know I never bought it, so I might try it out.

I love all three games. I know some people here bag on them so maybe I'm just easy to please but I think they're a lot of stupid fun.

There's a bunch of "run here, grab thing, run back" side quests but they're themed for the most part, like the one about Top Gun.

Then there's the really silly ones like the one where you have to shoot the guy named Shooty McFace in the face. That's it. You find the guy, he tells you to shoot him in the face, you do, side quest over.

(Those are both examples from borderlands 2, my favorite of the 3)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

My friend messaged me last week to say Micro$oft hosed up and made the game free. I think they then backpedaled and said it was free for "Multiplayer Co-Op Weekend." and gave it to everyone.

Not sure if you can still play it outside of last weekend. Any one else have a better understanding of what happened?

Micro$oft? How old are you?

No, they didn't gently caress up. With Xbox Live gold they give different games away every month. Usually it's small random stuff you've never heard of or older games. In addition to this they have "Free to play" weekends to promote gold where they give a game away free and also let you play online for free for that weekend. The game is yours to keep but the Xbox Gold goes away after the weekend.

This weekend it was The Handsome Package (Borderlands 2 & TPS)

e: just checked and it's still there but instead of it being free it's 60% off

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Nov 3, 2016

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Which Half Life (or was it even Half Life?) that had you walking through an area early in the game and a guard tells you to pick up a can and put it in the trash. You get an achievement for chucking it at his face.

Recently started replaying Far Cry 4. There's a lot of things that could be said about this game but I love that after the intro to the game, the bad guy tells you to wait in his dining area so he can go torture some guy. If you wait 15 minutes or so a cut scene happens and the game ends.

Not like he kills you. He just lets you do the thing you came to do and then is pretty much like "ok nice meeting you see ya!"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sad lions posted:

FF15: Noct's impression of Ignis in the moogle chocobo festival.

That was so good and I cracked up at it. "I've come up with a new reciPEEEHH"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what like...Borderlands?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Overminty posted:

W1 Geralt takes crap from no man (or boy) https://youtu.be/g-egGn5WYrk

Well there goes any drive I had to go back to the start of the Witcher series after finishing W3.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

I think they redid a bunch of the dialogue for the enhanced edition

According to the comments that was the enhanced edition

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This one is pretty dumb but I appreciated the hell out of it. I've been playing Darksiders 2 that I picked up in a spring sale and I'm enjoying it. One thing it does is when you're away from the town, in a dungeon or whatever, you can fast travel back to the town and then jump back to the exact spot you were before.

I was stuck on this one spot where they keep throwing enemies at you and I didn't have enough healing potions to last through it and also I suck pretty bad at vidya games. I was able to jump to the town, buy some healing stuff and upgrade equipment then go right back to where I was before without having to spend a lot of time trekking back through the dungeon to the town.

Pretty nice.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I don't get it. There's a ladder on the side of that building, which you are explicitly told about, so you can get on top of that building and advance the plot? Unless it's just showing off how you can ride a stasis'd object, which I thought was old news by now.

They're not doing it to get on top of the building, they're doing it to show off the ridiculous poo poo you can do in that game.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Sometimes they want to do this but can't get permission, like how the Chicago park sculpture appeared in Watchdogs as glowing blue donut instead of a reflective blob.

Why would they need permission to do that? It's a public structure. How is it any different than copying the John Hancock building or the Statue of Liberty? Is it because it's art?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sad lions posted:

I never understood blitzball. Didn't help that I got the feeling that the longer I played and messed up the stronger the opposition becomes.

Did you ever do any recruiting to your team or did you just stick with the base team? I found that once I recruited the "best" player for each position games were a joke and I was literally just playing to see how many goals I could score in a game.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sad lions posted:

Don't they have term limits? I know I put off getting anyone because I wanted to "know what I'm doing" before getting anyone.

Technically they do but you can always just resign them. I never had anyone fall off my team that I didn't want to.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

To balance my posts on Witcher 3 in the 'thing dragging this game down thread,' here is a thing that I like: the masquerade masks you buy for one quest remain in your inventory, allowing you to wear them for the rest of the game. Clash with the Wild Hunt? Bird mask. Intervening in critical affairs of state? Wolf mask. Making love to a witch? Clown mask.

Wait 'till you find the rear end ears

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

Spoil me on which quest you find them? Got too many of the bloody things to count.

It's in the Hearts of Stone DLC. You'll come upon some halflings playing Gwent at the wedding. Let them win.

As the old name of the Witcher thread was called; don't push Djikstra, let the halflings win, give wine to Shani

Also go whole hog at Kaer Mohren when you're drinking with your buddies. It's a hilarious scene.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Jul 23, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just started playing Mass Effect: Andromeda and have been enjoying it so far but just realized from all this subtitle talk that the subs are on by default.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't worry, it gets much worse

Yeah I take goon recommendations with an incredibly small grain of salt. If I listened to you guys I'd never play video games because there aren't any good ones, ever.Every new game that comes out is the new worst game made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
idk I guess my expectations just aren't as high for my space shooty mans game

I'm already passed that part and thought "well that's dumb" when it happened but I didn't let it ruin my day. There were bad guys to shoot.

My bigger gripe was when the clearly more important to the mission Ryder Sr. gave his helmet to Ryder Jr. Yeah it's his son but apparently they don't have much if anything of a relationship anyway. Let the kid die and save the thousands of people counting on you for survival. I guess there wouldn't have been a game if that happened though.