Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Chard posted:

This is totally fair, but the Souls series also benefit from organic development of your character and discovery of the world through interacting with it (esp. items) in a way that few games even attempt. Someone using a 100% checklist on their first playthrough is getting an experience that is, in my opinion, greatly diminished. To each their own though, you're right on that point.

It's gotten tougher and tougher for me to go through games without looking up poo poo on the internet a few times, partly because games are ~60-80 hours long and I'm not going through it twice when I have a backlog of other stuff to play and I don't want to miss all the cool poo poo because of something I did at hour 6, and partly because I don't want to get a derp ending due to the same reasons.

I think for me it started with the FFXII Zodiac Spear chest, but if anything it's gotten worse in recent games as far as the effects that tiny decisions have on your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

MiddleOne posted:

The different epilogue's really save what would have otherwise been the lamest ending ever.

I never bothered to look it up, but didn't know there were different endings for Ciri, just figured there were different ones for romances and politics stuff.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

One thing I've noticed in the Witcher 3 is how dynamic the conversations are. Even in recent batman games talking to NPCs often feels static, the camera just switching between the characters stiffly posing, and the elder scrolls games are just camera gluing to the other person's face, but the characters in main scenes (Story and SideQuests) move around and talk, making or avoiding eye contact, Geralt even laughs at jokes that old friends make mid sentence without having to interrupt them. It just feels pretty good to sit through.

I was going to post something about that earlier, there was one conversation in the first expansion, at the wedding, where the female interest does an extremely realistic 'taken aback' expression that was so good I was in awe for a few seconds. They did such a good job in that game.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I got a good laugh out of the achievement "It's Like That One Video" in the Borderlands 2 DLC, Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep, which is basically a satire on D&D gaming - you get the achievement by finding this cave that you can't enter, but has a health bar, and is titled The Darkness, and attacking it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

One guy used that trick to get off the Great Plateau early.

Gamers hate him!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

In SR3 I had a russian-asian boss and it was pretty silly and fun. In SR2 I had a cockney boss in a full three piece suit with a bowler hat, the pimp cane, and a slight scar on his face and he was a straight psychopath. Absolutely the best thing about that game.

I miss SR2's boss' cockney accent.

Whoever they got for 3 and 4 decided to blend it with Christian Bale's Batman voice, and it loses all its charm.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Nuclear War posted:

I think I'm probably a bit past the halfway point in HZD and honestly it's still great. My only gripe is that bosses and bigger set piece combats are super hard, loving glinthawks. I'm not really a Git Gud kinda pro gamer So I've run it in story mode instead of normal for a couple of those moments and then turned it back after. It's a single player game, the word cheating doesn't really apply.

Still love the crafting system. Way superior to similar games like the witcher. Oh, and the wife pointed out that there's no skimpy medieval bikini armour in the game. Clothes and stuff look functional although I did pity aloy when I had her run in the desert in in +cold resist gear.

Oh. Do I ever get another spear? I've got some improvements with + spear damage and I can't seem to use them.

My favorite little thing in HZD was when I used a tripwire to blow up a machine, and one of its plates was spinning on end on the ground for a second or two afterwards before falling.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

haveblue posted:

What color belt do you get for that?

It’s patterned with red, green and blue lines.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Love me some Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, just the absolute joy in what he's doing is infectious.

My fav is the Ridge Racer crossover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIyhYLfQ0A

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

Honestly, I can't remember the last JRPG I played that actually required grinding. Maybe one of the really old Dragon Quests? The vast majority of the time you can win just by using a better strategy.

Xenoblade Chronicles had an end boss that was literally untouchable by your weapons/spells unless you were a certain level, due to the game's mechanics.

You could get to the endgame section at a level about ~10 below what was necessary to land a hit on him. Which was weird because the rest of the game had no issues re grinding, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Uncharted 4 had a ton of little touches but my favorite was the tunnel escape that mimicked Crash Bandicoot.