Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.

Morpheus posted:

I liked the idea, but I thought they took waaaaay too loving long to get to the point. Even when they start realize what's going on, you still need to do the cycle one more time, which is ridiculous because they know what's going to happen.

I think they could've done it a lot, lot better. The second-last cycle is good, as it shows what is different, and what could've been - the rest of them are just exactly the same stuff, which slightly modified dialogue with some of the vestals. poo poo, every single time they come across each temple boss, they're somehow surprised that the boss is there.

Kind of agree with you here that it feels like a lot of padding, but it's fun to turn the second cycle into pretty much Boss Rush mode cause you've outleveled everyone, and then then the third cycle goes even faster and drops some more story cause the world is different enough. And then you get Obliterate by leveling up the Conjurer class and grinding for levels becomes trivial. I've been having fun with it.

One thing totally caught me off guard, though. I was pretty sure from mid way through the first cycle that Airy was up to something with the way she's always pushing you to ignore sidequest stuff in her menu screen dialog, but I totally missed that the pattern on her wings was counting down with each cycle. Really neat little touch that went totally over my head until they revealed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

LumpyGumby posted:

Been taking time off of playing MGS and went to replay Batman: Arkham City, and there was one small detail I noticed. Spoilers for a five year old game.

When a healthy Joker is monologuing about how things aren't always how they appear in a video to Batman, and rants about a big twist, the person holding the camera coughs and shakes subtlety.

Later on you find out the actual dying Joker was behind the camera, while Clayface was the one appearing as the healthy one.

Neat little sorry thing I never noticed before.

During the big fight near the middle of the game where you take on a suddenly healthy Joker, if you go into X-Ray mode, Joker has no skeleton. This is actually a callback to Arkham Asylum where you could talk to Clayface in his cell. He'd always take on the appearance of other characters to taunt you or try to trick you, but if you looked at him in X-Ray, he had no skeleton. So if you remembered that minor, missable detail from the first game, you could spoil yourself on the big twist in City in the middle of the game.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

A couple of my favorite moments from Arkham Knight so far involve the (story spoiler) Joker hallucinations. Someone mentioned Bruce's answering machine in Wayne Tower, well if you keep playing it past the regular messages you get one from Joker pretending to be Bruce's father chiding Bruce for running around town in a bat costume. Listen to the next message and this time Joker pretends to be Bruce's mom, doing a falsetto voice and everything, but he cracks up laughing before he can finish the message.

The other moment has to do with the side mission about ManBat. The game introduces you to him with a jumpscare when you grapple onto a certain ledge. Well, several hours later, I'm swinging around in that part of town and just happen to grapple to the same ledge again. The game throws ANOTHER jumpscare at you, only this time it's Joker, who laughs at you and then makes fun of you for getting startled the first time.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

Ryoshi was talking about the weekly brawl game mode. Each week it's got a new set of rules that changes the game totally.

Last week it was that you spawned with a random hero every time you died. This week? Everyone is Soldier 76 and has lower health than normal. Bullets and rockets everywhere.