Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that's neat about Watch Dogs is how seamless the online can be. I was just cruising around trying to do some side stuff when all of a sudden I noticed a car driving like crazy. I blow up a steam pipe as he drives across it and it turns out it was another player who was about to try and hack me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw one that I'm assuming is a Breaking Bad reference as it said the person "collects minerals."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

I don't know, my dad does that because he's a giant nerd who double majored in mineral and petroleum engineering and minored in geology. It's not all that rare. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_collecting

^^^^^ok, that one is definitely a Ghostbusters reference.

Its just the wording. Normally someone doing that would just be collecting rocks but it was a specific thing on Breaking Bad that Hank didn't collect rocks, he collected minerals.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mercenaries 1, you can blow up any building you want but god help you if you run into a tree.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mercenaries 2 had a mad troubled development. They completely scrapped it at least once (there was originally supposed to be a greater focus on fluid dynamics) and it got delayed by quite a bit, multiple times.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So according to the E3 vid, Homefront: The Revolution (now under Crytek, rather than whoever made the poorly-received original) will allow weapon mods, like many other shooters. What makes it something to post in this thread, though, is that it's not done through a menu like other games; it's done right in-game, and you can see your character pull out old parts and swap the new parts on. As a huge sucker for pointless-but-cool tacticlol immersion, I had to grin when I saw that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujh2fnATK4&t=328s

That's pretty much just stolen from their Crysis series, which could do the same thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

2house2fly posted:

I'm playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and there was one little (and probably immediately obvious to fans of the original game) thing that I liked. At the start of Human Revolution it's immediately obvious that the main character, whose first name is Adam, is the mysterious Subject X or whoever that his girlfriend studied for her revolutionary science thing and refuses to talk about with him. So the name Adam for the guy who's ushering in a new era of humanity is just a bit of cheap symbolism, right? Yes, but: the main character of Deus Ex was called JC Denton. And Human Revolution is a prequel, so Adam is kind of a perfect name for them to use as a callback.

It's dumb but it made me smile.

The Subject X stuff is kind of weird because AFAIK they never actually come out and state that its Adam and that his whole thing is that he was genetically engineered to be the perfect recipient for augmentation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He wasn't even the guy from the first game, he was just a character in the first game. The main character of Crysis 1 was "Nomad" while the guy from Crysis 2 and 3 was "Prophet."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arx Monolith posted:

I know this game, I think. I played it once and regrettably did not play it forever. What is this from?

Red Faction Guerrilla, it had a neat gimmick in the destruction but not a lot else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I remember reading I think in the booklet for the first Grand Theft Auto that their in game explanation was that there were so many murders and other bad poo poo happening in Liberty City that the cops didn't care about moving violations, I always figured that every other sandbox game like GTA took that approach if they ever had to explain it.

The first Mafia game had a whole thing where if you were speeding or running lights you could get pulled over by the cops. Turns out that mechanic is super not fun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jehde posted:

Apparently you can catch your parachute on fire in GTA5, with predictable results.

I'm not sure how you would be able to do that though.

I was screwing around with GTAV the other day and discovered in a police chase that if your car gets shot up enough in the rear area you can actually start leaking gas.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SR4 did some weird stuff, like making it super easy to drive any car you wanted since you could pull any car you've driven into the world at any time. Except after about an hour of story you get super powers that make it so you never want to get in a car again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Croccers posted:

I assume that Volition still own and can use the engine tech even if they don't have the Red Faction rights, right?

With the way THQ fell apart and everything sold off piecemeal it's impossible to know unless Volition came out and said they still have it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They never actually come right out and say it (which might have something to do with the fact that his family is fairly litigious) but it's blatantly obvious who he is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I never saw that one, the letter thing was a good idea. They made one of your side missions from Watch_Dogs was killing a guy from Abstergo, but it didn't sit well with me. They pushed it in my face so much that I think it would have been easier just to have a big banner come across the screen that said "WE ALSO MADE ASSASSINS CREED" and be done with it.

That mission is actually a tie in to AC4 (which would have made more sense if Watch Dogs came out when it was supposed to) as that guy is a character in AC4 who disappears after going to a meeting in Chicago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution the main character (barely) survives an attack at the very beginning of the game. A couple of hours later you get to go to his apartment and find out that one of his coping mechanisms was to hide guns all over the place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can also find an archived IM conversation between David Sarif (the CEO of the company Adam works for) and his lawyer and it turns out that Sarif can't type for poo poo. The whole thing has a ton of typos and misspellings.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mirrors don't work and any escalators you come across are "broken."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

theshim posted:

[ ] Kill Yourself
[ ] ...Or Don't

There's also a mission where you're blowing something up and the optional objective is to not look at the explosion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have kind of a love/hate thing with that game. They did some interesting stuff, like the end story twist is kind of insane but there was also a bunch of stupid stuff too. Like a big one is that for a game that's supposed to be about the founding of XCOM maybe don't have it happen after the tutorial level.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dead Space 3 had the co-op character always around, just that if you weren't playing co-op he was off with other people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He would just show up when the plot needed him to be around. For gameplay they gave Lara the spear move so she could just do that stuff by herself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The terraforming stuff is all the work of this giant godlike being called "The Traveler." It's also part of the setting that people don't know exactly how a lot of stuff happened in the past. It was lost when their civilization fell.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Also there were aliens from thousands of years before humanity started. They built most of the stuff on Venus.

Actually, I believe the number the Ghost uses is "billions." Which makes sense seeing as the Vex can literally travel through time.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Sep 15, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CJacobs posted:

A thing I like about Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is that co-op changes based on who is playing as Big Boss.

If you are Big Boss and your friend isn't: You appear as Big Boss and your friend sees you as him.
If you aren't Big Boss and your friend is: They appear as Big Boss and you see them as him.
If you and your friend are both Big Boss: You appear as Big Boss on your screen while they are a generic soldier, and vice versa for them.

It's a nice touch to not force the host player to always be Big Boss, or have two Big Bosses spontaneously running around a la Dead Rising 2 just plopping in two Chucks and pretending one doesn't exist in cutscenes.

They do something similar with the multiplayer in Watch Dogs. You (the player) are always the main character but everybody else sees you as a random character model because in their game they're the main character. They mostly did it that way because there are multiple modes where the whole point is trying to figure out who is actually a real person connected to your game/hiding from a person in their game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also a mode where you were supposed to tail another player and if you did it right they would never even know you were connected into their game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Smelly posted:

That sounds like so much fun but I've heard terrible things about W_D.

Also no one ever seems to play that kinda stuff the way it's supposed to be played. Which ruined the mp for Assassin's Creed for me. Everyone would just run around on the drat rooftops spamming their wrist gun.

There were incentives to win and they made it to be difficult to do so if you weren't playing in the "proper" way so most people didn't really screw around with those modes. Probably also helped that there was just a mode where you would run around shooting each other.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also didn't help that for the last couple of circles they ran out of ideas and the game ends with a challenge arena section.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Played some Binding of Isaac: Rebirth yesterday and saw something neat. Your attacks in the game are supposed to be Isaac's tears and I got an upgrade that caused me to fire more shots at once. Which was represented on Isaac's character model as him having more than two eyes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Far Cry 4, something I thought was cool is how depending on where a character is from they'll pronounce the main character's name differently. His name is Ajay Ghale and people from Kyrat say it "Ah jay Gah lee." While Ajay (who grew up in America) and other Western characters say it "AJ Gale."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As someone who hasn't played a Halo since 3 I like 343 Studios because watching them torpedo the Halo franchise with a single game, to the point where releasing a collection of other people's work with their name slapped on it and a $60 price tag is the highlight of both their and the Xbone's year, has brought me more entertainment than any of the actual Halo games that have come out since.

Don't forget that even if you buy the disk version of the game you still have to download a 20 gig "patch" which is actually the multiplayer, because it wasn't actually included with the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Far Cry 4 there is a lever action shotgun called the 1887, you can get a sawed off variant of it called the 87.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another neat little Far Cry 4 thing, one of the side missions has a character ask you to track down a shipment and gives you a device to locate the objects. The tracker looks like the Far Cry 2 GPS unit and tracks the items like the FC2 GPS unit did, a flashing light when close and a steady light when you're pointing right at it. Then when you finally get the item you find out that its uncut diamonds, which were the collectibles you were tracking down in FC2. The character you got the mission from even implies they're actually the same diamonds.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It clarifies some stuff (like showing what happens to the teammates you bring on the final mission) and takes out the plot point of destroying all Mass Relays. Probably because someone realized that kind of kills the franchise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pidmon posted:

Is Joker still flying the Normandy in front of the wave of destruction for no real reason during the ending just so he and his robot girlfriend can be Adam and Eve on a new planet?

I believe that's another part they add a scene in for.

As for the Mass Relays retcon, I'm glad they did it because it came off as super out of left field in the original ending and leaves more questions than answers, mostly from the fact that Sol system would have a ton of different alien races in it because of the final battle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mrkillboy posted:

Red Dead Redemption and GTA V lets you skip ahead if you fail a section of a mission three or more times I believe.

Same with the action scenes in LA Noir

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

This is my new favorite thing in games.

That just reminds me of the Last of Us outtake where they were mocapping one of the scenes and they played a prank on Troy Baker when all the other characters started singing. But then he just plays along by singing too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I like about the Assassins Creed America games is that they have crafting which you get from hunting. However if you don't feel like hunting or just have part of what you need you can just buy the materials.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

That just reminds me of what Banpresto did with one of the Super Robot Taisen games on ps3. The game has a stupidly long install time but while it installs the game has you play its tutorial stage.

I thought that was a pretty cool compromise.

A lot of PS4 games let you do something while the game installs, with varying degrees of success.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

McDragon posted:

Okay, I knw Shadow of Mordor was a while back, but I like how all the wildlife have little notes about them. And how they are all evil and venomous. But the bats I have to mention specificallly. Apparently orcs that get bitten start to hallucinate part-man part-bat creatures that intimidate their enemies with fear. That one made me laugh.

Fun fact, Shadow of Mordor was originally supposed to be a Batman game but the deal fell through (it was going to have Christopher Nolan involved with the production but he pulled out..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I liked about the Assassin's Creed games that had crafting (which is 3, 4 and Rogue) is how they handled the items you needed to collect. Sure you could go out and do all the hunting/fishing required or you could just go to a General Store and buy the skins. Because they're just animal skins.