Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Let's not forget Stephen Fry as Reaver and Simon Pegg as Finn.

In Fable 3 the "evil" brother was voiced by Michael Fassbender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

timp posted:

I didn't either until I played a Telltale game so I'll bite: Characters in Telltale games are supposed to "remember" things you say to them, which you can choose from a short list. For instance, if you choose to lie to someone and they catch you, you'll often see a pop-up in the corner of the screen that says "so-and-so will remember this". Unfortunately those choices don't have quite as much of an impact on the story as you may hope but that's a point for a different thread.

EDIT: Much like "Telltale will remember this", when you skip the credits, which also makes that joke funnier

The thing I like about that is that they will lie/mislead you with them. Like they'll pop up in conversations with a person who will be dead by the end of the conversation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the game has a bunch of problems, one thing Assassin's Creed Unity does really well is hair. Especially Elise (the female lead) her hair looks like real person hair and not a weird helmet thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

On the criminal side of Hardline there are also alternate sound clips that play when you do stuff. Usually involving swearing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Dying Light there's a side mission where you have to rescue a woman from some weird creep keeping her locked up in his basement. One of the things you can find in the basement is a bottle of lotion in a basket.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new Playstation game Helldivers has a lot of Starship Troopers references. Like when you rank up to Sergeant you get a trophy "You're it until you're dead or I find someone better"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Goddammit, someone put this poo poo on PC.

While Arrow Head games developed it I believe it was funded by Sony so that seems unlikely.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

The Library level in Metro Redux is absolutely terrifying, in no small part due to its inhabitants. I woke the last one and it took about 30 shotgun shells to the face before it went down.

The lighting in this game is mindblowing too.

In the novel the Librarians are even creepier because they could talk.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

Awesome, I'm waiting til I've finished the game before reading it.

That's probably a good idea as one of the endings of the game is exactly the same as the end of the book. Although the middle parts are completely different.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's Sam Lake, who was also the writer of Max Payne 1/2 and Alan Wake.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I like this stupid, campy story you can watch for no reason during Alan Wake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-wAaBoW408

IIRC all of the Night Springs episodes you can watch were all written by Alan.

One thing I liked about the American Nightmare DLC were all of the videos starring Mr _______

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Mar 21, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Address Unknown has a perfect 90s cult show ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another funny GTA V thing is how Trevor has a side mission set where he hangs out with some civilian border patrol assholes who want to deport Mexicans not realizing that Trevor is an illegal immigrant himself (he's from Canada.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

Singularity was fun, if flawed game. In it, you're given the TMD, an experimental device which allows you to age or regress certain items. The cool thing is you can use it to either age an enemy into dust or "regress" them into gross gooey placenta monsters that will attack their former allies.

It's one of the few FPSs where the main gimmick is actually a viable and fun way to play the game. Plus, you can find it for about five bucks.

Apparently the regression thing was supposed to be even grosser originally but they got too many complaints and had to tone it down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did all the episodes for that actually come out?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

It sucks and tries desperately hard to be weird, just like DP did, except DP was new to you retards so you sucked it up instead of realizing it was awfully executed in every possible way, that includes dialogue and plot.

He also just lifted quite a few things directly from Twin Peaks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been replaying the last Tomb Raider game and one thing I like is the enemies are pretty talky. They'll call out stuff to each other and just generally react to what you're doing. This is most evident in the part when you get the grenade launcher and they just freak the gently caress out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just remembered a good bit from Bloodborne. It continues the Souls tradition of Patches being in the game and he even kicks you down a hole.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Oh poo poo! In the Nightmare Frontier? Is that the rear end in a top hat that booted me?

Yup, good ole Patches. How I hate him!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Who What Now posted:

He drives me to drink!

At least in Bloodborne he has some kind of comeuppance considering how he's just a head on a giant spider body.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arx Monolith posted:

Do I have to play anything of Witcher 1 or 2 to enjoy this masterpiece?

They made this one newbie friendly seeing as previous games were kind of limited in release. The first game was PC only and while the second got a console release too it was only 360, no PS3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In The Witcher 3 the flavor text is written by Dandelion, a bard friend of Geralt's. So you get a lot of commentary on standard RPG tropes where he makes fun of Geralt doing random poo poo for people and looting corpses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A nice quality of life thing that The Witcher 3 does is when you're told to follow someone most of the time they'll adjust their walk speed to yours. So if you start running/sprinting they'll go fast too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The game is usually good at keeping track of that stuff but sometimes it does mess up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One detail that's neat is how in Barbara's clock tower you can see the mask she uses in the comic books as her avatar when appearing as Oracle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In AK Batman gets hit with some fear toxin, so sometimes in fights with random guys one of them will turn into the Joker and only turn back when the fight is over.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

princecoo posted:

When you leave the area then come back, the bodies are all gone. I figure there is a market for unconcious bad guy removal services that just contracts out to the city. Hell, if Bruce Wayne is as smart as he's supposed to be, he'd have started the company himself as an offshoot of Wayne Enterprises. The ones that have not had their arms broken and their knees crushed are given an icepack, an assortment of drugs and sent home.

In Arkham Knight the very first guy you beat up in the game is later locked up at the police station with his arm in a cast.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you leave the Batmobile alone long enough sometimes a random guy will just start loving with it. You're then given a button prompt that electrifies the Batmobile and sends the thug flying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

One of the great things about Arkham Knight is the GPD in general.

The Gotham Police Department is basically your home back. As you progress through the game it gets more and more filled. Guys you captured show up there, items you find are put there, and so-on. And almost all of it has dialogue. Supervillains you capture will bitch at each other, guys in the cages will chatter at Batman, and so-on. Some of it even seems game-sensitive. A friend of mine had mooks laughing about how they kicked his rear end in a fight while I never had it happen.

I had a really cool moment when I walked in and one of the cops standing around was highlighted Riddler informant green. So I interrogate him while the cops nearby start freaking out and pull their guns on Batman. The cop eventually admits it and Batman throws him into a cell. He goes "You can't do this to me, I'm a cop." to which Batman replies "Not anymore."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

Some militia in Arkham Knight randomly burst out "Hey guys, we did it! We're trending! #CityOfFear, everyone share your photos!"

I overheard a guy say that he was getting tired of rioting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Borderlands The Pre-Sequel there are jump pads and they make the Six Million Dollar Man sound when you step on one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, although the bit at the end was pretty well-done, for the most part I thought the game portrayed the DUP as pure evil, which is really strange considering that they're an anti-Conduit law enforcement branch created in response to thousands of people being murdered by a Conduit. It would have been really easy to make them sympathetic villains with that background but until the very end they're treated like mustache-twirling Nazis.

Yeah, considering where the world was at after Infamous 2 its not that hard to believe there would be massive Anti-Conduit sentiment in the population. In the first game an entire major East coast city is almost completely destroyed with thousands of people dying because of the Ray Sphere and just general Conduit activities. Then in 2 the Beast completely destroys that and most other major cities on the East coast down to fake New Orleans. Which is then followed by the Good ending where Cole kills off a major percentage of the world's active and potential Conduits and since that's the whole world that has to be in the millions of people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

When did they finally start letting you carry spears around whenever you wanted?

For all the things that Unity did wrong at least they opened up the weapon selection a little so you weren't stuck with like one main weapon and minor variations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In MGSV they made sure to let you know that you aren't just leaving D-Horse out there whenever you leave the mission area. If the camera is pointed at him when the helicopter flies away you can see a Fulton balloon go off and he takes off into the sky.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In TPP when you get "injured" such that you have to actually hold down the action button to heal, in the ACC afterwards you'll get stuff like Snake with an IV in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beastie posted:

I have not noticed that, are you sure it's not his bionic arm? I've noticed that is hooked up when he's airborne.

It was definitely an IV, there was a bag hanging up and everything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inco posted:

Is there a lot of farming necessary in the game? I don't want to spend a bunch of time playing the same handful of missions over and over because I'm broke as hell.

Early on there's a bit of scrounging for resources but fairly early in the story they start giving you ways to automate a lot of processes. Once you unlock the combat team they can be assigned missions to collect resources and guys. You also have an automated processing platform that gets you materials for building/upgrading without having to collect stuff yourself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arx Monolith posted:

And how/when can you do this?

There are orange metal platforms near most bases, next to them is a metal post and on that post is a collectible invoice that lets you ship your box to that platform.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

When do you get to customize guns?

Shortly after you start doing stuff in Africa. Once you get the customization stuff it lets you do things like combine weapons to put grenade launchers and shotguns on assault rifles. It also lets you just put suppressors on anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The guys who directed Cap 2 have said they used that game as an influence for Cap's fighting style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

I need to check this game out because I absolutely loved Cap's fighting style in 2 (and was subsequently disappointed in how it was handled in Age of Ultron), and it's awesome that the directors were inspired by it.

They're doing Cap 3 and the next Avengers movie so safe to say it will be back to that.

JPrime posted:

This thread is making me want to get MGS5. If I've literally never played any of them before (I might have played the original Metal Gear on the NES way back when), will I be lost?

For content, I picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition, and having Varric hurry up and finish writing the next book of his romance novels for Cassandra was awesome. So many great interactions so far in this game.

Ground Zeroes would probably be a good starting point since it has a ton of the backstory baked in and it is made on the same engine so it plays the same, unlike the earlier ones which are kind of all over the place.