Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ashsaber posted:

Its not really a little thing, but Infinite Space, a space operatic RPG made in part by Platinum, the same dudes who did Revengence, Bayonetta and other crazy games,

I bought this on release day and promptly got stuck after getting the carrier schematic. There was only one FAQ/guide out for it at the time, and it was in Japanese. Thanks for reminding me that it's at the bottom of my closet, waiting to be played again :) Such a cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

What? This took a turn I didn't see coming.

It's encountering unexpected moments like this that make life interesting, and worth living. And also make you wish somebody would buy a :goback2tumblr: emote already.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a JRPG on the Nintendo DS built around starship combat. It's surprisingly decent for how basic the gameplay is.

My favorite part of the game is tinkering with ship layouts and crew assignments.

"So you're a dumbass thug who jumped me at a pub and tried to steal my poo poo, then begged to join my crew afterwards? Let's find a job for you. How about...ship accountant?" :v:

It's also cool that (really, really early-game spoiler) the first damsel-in-distress you save actually joins the crew instead of just hanging out on the ship. In fact, she has a couple of good skills that activate based on what job you give her.

It's a fun game, but can be tough sometimes, especially if you've botched crew assignments or picked the wrong layout/parts.

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 13:18 on Sep 18, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Praetorian Mage posted:

Because male genital mutilation and the anguish it causes are loving hilarious, right guys?

Eh, 2/10 for this trolling effort. Are you even trying?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kimmalah posted:

LithTech Jupiter EX

This could be the title of a JRPG, specifically one about mechs in space. I guess it's better than "Dan's Really Cool Engine."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Suspicious Cook posted:

I can picture him at home asking his wife which body he should take to dinner.

"The one with the biggest robo-dick"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Screaming Idiot posted:

This page of the thread has turned Revengeance into my favorite game, thank you SA.

Also, Raiden has a pole-arm that is literally a pole made of arms. This game is just gleefully batshit nuts and has ensured that I will forever buy any Metal Gear and/or Platinum games I come across forever.

The joke in no way stops there. The only thing I know for real is that someone on the staff was a huge Camus fan.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Professor Wayne posted:

At the end of Mass Effect 3 I shot the kid instead of instead of choosing one of his bullshit endings. It was perfect. My paragon Shepherd finally snapped.

The final line the Catalyst delivers when you do this is so goddamn good.

Also, the blue option reveal was nothing short of wonderful. At various points throughout the game, you get to hear variations on:

"Look, there's no controlling the reapers"

"Seriously, they can't be controlled"

"Dude nobody can control the reapers"

"The reapers cannot be controlled"

"Look what they've done to you! You can't loving control them ok?"

And then, right at the end:

"Oh I guess you can control the reapers"

:bravo:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Lavender posted:

I picked up Valkyria Chronicles on steam. It's like a tactics game, but without the grid, so your characters can run freely as long as they have AP remaining. What I like, vs other tactics games I've played, is that you can sacrifice using some of your characters in any given turn to let one character move multiple times in one round. The AP they have each time you do that drops, but it's really great if you make a mistake, or are exploiting a weak spot or something. That's a feature I'd appreciate in almost any tactics-type game.

I especially like that they gave some unit types limited ammunition, so you can't just spend all twenty of your CP to have Largo pop tanks all day (well, you sort of can, you just need an Engineer near him to reload him once in a while).

This game is just full of little things. I love the battle chatter over the radio, the comments your units make when traits kick in or when they do something ("Hi, I'm Ted!" *blam blam blam*), and that each and every one of your units has his or her own personality.

The separate weapon upgrade trees are cool, too. :dance:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

In Xenoblade Chronicles the main character's weapon, the Monado, is an energy blade that can cut pretty much anything, but in an early cutscene it's revealed that it just bounces off of other people. This isn't really a problem for most of the game since your main enemies are monsters and evil robots. Midway through the game, however, there's a sequence where you're attacked by assassins. If you have the main character in your active party during this segment, all of his attacks will do 1 damage to them, and they'll bounce off the assassins as though the attack was blocked. Just like the cutscene showed, the Monado won't work on other people.

What's neat about this is that aside from the 1 damage, there's nothing during the sequence to explicitly remind you of this plot point. It's on you to remember why your attacks aren't working, and change your strategy accordingly.

One of the best lines of the game is right there, too:

"We ordered room service an hour ago."

:swoon: Dundun

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Taeke posted:

I can't think of any way it could tackle the 'hard' questions that cyberpunk does such as the nature of humanity, consciousness, etc, but I suppose it's possible.

Is any of this real? What if we're all cogs in a machine? Jayden mused to himself as he watched Brianne toy with her brass spyglass.

"Jayden," she said, "when I look through this spyglass, does everything I'm not looking at really exist?" Brianne was staring at Clockwork City, glistening in the distance.

Jayden took a sip of tea from his brass teacup. "M'lady, I certainly hope I continue to exist, even if your countenance doesn't face my direction." He tipped his brass fedora.

"Oh, Jayden, let's get in our brass clockwork contraption vehicle and drive to Clockwork City!"

"But Brianne, if you stop looking at it, it won't exist."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kimmalah posted:

I also like that even after death Sinderion is still doing the same poo poo in Skyrim as he did in Oblivion.

When I accidentally activated the quest "A Return to Your Roots," I just laughed and kept walking, which is what I should've done the first time I met the fucker at the West Weald Inn back in Oblivion.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

poptart_fairy posted:

Femshep comes across creepy as gently caress towards Jacob.

They were super classy with Jason's romance. The writing was self-insert fanfic terrible (but goddamn, Jennifer Hale loving nailed the whole "minx on the prowl" bit).

BEEP BOOP here is how you depict Jane Shepard winning over a potential mate BOOP:

"Anyone waiting for you back home?"

"Never settled down. Doesn't seem fair with this job. I guess you can't miss what you never had."

"...so you're single?"

and

"Where are you going with this?"

"Just making sure I won't get my rear end shot off if I make a move."

"...Well, I wasn't expecting that...commander."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

maou shoujo posted:

And also because his people's home just got blown up, and they'll need the money to build a new one.

Yeah, IIRC the exchange was along the lines of:

"Hey, why are you charging us at a time like this?!?"

"Because we'll need the money to start rebuilding when you win."

I thought it was clever.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bhodi posted:

Merchant chat?

You come back alive.. I need yer business. </disgruntled>

I work alone.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

movax posted:

What the gently caress, there's a robot? I never made it past Dorter Trade City as a kid, time to fire up the old emulator...

There are five hidden characters in the original game, and the robot is one of them. The PSP remake/redo/rerelease/whatever (The War of the Lions) adds at least one more. If you decide to grab a physical copy of that, though, you'll want to softmod your PSP in order to apply an unofficial patch to fix the broken-rear end slowdown that occurs when you cast spells. Otherwise it's solid--widescreen, new translation, new jobs, new sidequests, and even a multiplayer option!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ashsaber posted:

On another note, Ace Combat: Joint Assault was pretty amazing because it opened plane customization to all planes, rather than just the ones that don't exist in real life, with it balanced by giving crappier planes better customization options than planes that are naturally good. The end result is that you can barely squeeze any better performance out of something really good like an F-22, but crappy plane, like a Mig-21 or a Grumman f6f or an A6M Zero (all really old planes, the latter two being propeller planes from WWII) can be tuned to outmaneuver an F-22, although they won't be able to match it in other stats.

This made it possible to take down the final boss and his bullshit superplane using a plane going on 70 years old, and win with only minor difficulty

You mistakenly included the MiG-21 in your list of "crappy" planes. Just thought I'd point that out :c00l:

Yeah, that fight is a cakewalk with one of the older planes because the last boss is really good at evading missiles, and the prop planes are all about guns. In a modern jet, it would be a long, drawn-out affair, but if you rock it oldschool, all you have to do is close the gap and hold the fire button down.

X2/Joint Assault was a fantastic game. Lots of planes to choose from, customization, and multiplayer! My only gripe is that once everyone stopped playing, you were effectively locked out of the unlocks you'd have gotten for the co-op only missions. I wish they'd released a patch or something after-the-fact that quietly gave you top ranking on those levels and all the unlocks that came with them.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

His voice actor did an excellent job fitting the role.

That's Alastair Duncan, a spectacular British actor who's been in a shitton of games and TV shows. Remember the turian rear end in a top hat from Mass Effect that inspired the :turianass: emote? That's also him.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sentient Data posted:

I don't get it, what game is that a reference to?

Super Bubble Pop

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm a huge fan of Wind Waker HD so far, but the little thing I'm enjoying most is the improved Pictograph. It holds more pictures now, and there's an indicator that tells you if a photo will be valid or not. You could only hold three photos in the original game, and they've upped that to twelve, which is a godsend.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

Vaan and Ashe have near identical stats so yea you could roll with whomever, Ashe, Balthier and Basch was my go to squad and they cleaned house.

if I'm not mistaken the entire game was meant to be Basch, Ashe, Fran and Balthier till they decided to add Vaan and the blond girl.

It would've been so drat cool if the whole roster were all intelligent, worldly adults. Balthier was slick as hell--quick-witted, skilled, and capable, but still knew when he was in over his head.

But nope, we gotta have some dumb naive kid run the show so he can learn valuable lessons during his quest to the end boss, like "revenge isn't the answer" and "don't charge in without thinking."

Don't get me wrong, I loved Final Fantasy XII, but I keep dreaming of the game it could've been.

That "learning a lesson" thing reminded me of one of the many reasons I love Xenoblade Chronicles. I'll spoiler some bits because they're going to re-relase it soon for the N3DS:

The protagonist's hometown gets attacked by bad guys at the start of the game, and a close friend of his is killed. He and another friend set off on a quest for revenge. You're expecting an "adult" character to pull him aside at some point and explain that revenge isn't healthy and to let it go, but it never happens. Everybody that joins the team is pro-"gently caress those jerks over" and the attitude never changes. From start to finish, you're on a singular quest to punish those responsible. It's so goddamn :black101:

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Feb 1, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Adam would be dead without augs, so why not get all this cool poo poo?

He never asked for this.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

grittyreboot posted:

-Motherfucking thresher maw vs. reaper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=916oKSgM0_4

When this scene unfolded for the first time I was like "Oh hell no is this really gonna hapHOLY gently caress!" :black101:

Also, the Javik "DLC" was actually on the loving disc from day 1

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Race Driver: Grid allows me to use my favourite car racing tactic, sliding sideways into the car ahead of me in order to take a corner way too fast. :haw:

I won so many close races in Gran Turismo 1 that way :c00l::respek::c00l:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm playing through Dark Souls blind, and I just noticed that among the summon signs outside boss doors, there are signs NPCs have apparently put down, too. I know it's probably to make the game easier if you're playing offline, but it helps make the world feel more lived-in, as if NPCs are actually running around doing the same poo poo you are.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
The one little thing that was good about SO4 is that it wasn't SO3.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

Seeing all the lovely Besaid blitzball members getting recruited for other teams after incur their scrub asses.

You're a monster :smith:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

Hey I've played entirely too much goddamn blitzball to get Wakkas poo poo. I was not going to deal with those scrubs. My team might as well just be called the Wedge Dream Team now.

Well if you're gonna be a monster, at least make sure you recruit Brother because he's loving untouchable. Seriously, he's so good it's sick

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

Brother is the support player. He swims around gathering the entire other team and then passes to Wedge who takes an unblocked shot from inside the goal.

Looks like you've got this nailed the gently caress down :dance:

The only other advice I can give is to yell "ĄGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!" loudly every time you score. It makes the game much better.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

kazil posted:

I bet you all are the same monsters that go around trying to convince everyone that the card game in Final Fantasy 8 is actually fun :colbert:

It is if you don't contaminate the entire game world with lovely rules :argh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

All I remember about triple triad was at some point in disc 3 some rule was that you couldn't pick your cards, and like any good A.I driven thing it would give you total poo poo and the opponent the best possible ones, I stopped bothering with it after that.

Random is a bitch of a rule but without the benefit of Open to let you at least see how you're being hosed over, poo poo gets infuriating pretty quickly.

Neither the manual nor the official strategy guide explained how spreading and abolishing rules worked, either :argh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently the regression thing was supposed to be even grosser originally but they got too many complaints and had to tone it down.

I read in an interview ages ago that at the very beginning the idea was to regress enemies into infants, but they quickly decided that making a game where you can shoot infants was probably not the best idea.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ryoshi posted:

I know I'm super late to the party but I just built a new computer and tried Metal Gear Rising and holy poo poo guys I just suplexed a loving Metal Gear.

I'd known going into it how over the top it is and it still didn't prepare me for how loving awesome that was.

It gets so much more awesome that you won't believe it

You're in for a treat :toot:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I just noticed this for the first time :laugh:

For those who have never played it, in Transistor, you can stop time on the battlefield to queue up attacks. The game will predict the outcome of each single attack in a list that hovers near the enemy, counting up the damage you'll do when the attacks are executed. If you queue up a bunch of attacks on an enemy that is weak enough that it'll be overkilled by a ridiculous margin, you get this lovely little message.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Exit Strategy posted:

That's not the only message.

Ha, I had no idea! Thanks for pointing that out. Such a great game :allears:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
In light of the number of times I've been hosed right the gently caress over for trying to help someone out in that game, I've decided those colonists can go choke on their laser-roasted yams

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Smiles posted:

There's a lot I love about Ace Combat Zero, from the soundtrack, the live-action interviews between missions and the knight motifs
All of this,

Smiles posted:

that plane jousting at the end
especially this.

Celery Face posted:

Yessss, I haven't played that game in years and I feel like such an idiot for selling it.

Ten bucks on Steam. I just picked it up because I was itching for a city builder and happened across that post.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

I'm suddenly sad I never bothered with ace combat.

You aughta give it a shot someday. The PS2-era titles are really, really good, and are probably pretty cheap to pick up on eBay.

If you're concerned with realism in your arcade flight sim you need to stay away from the franchise, though. Planes sometimes carry hundreds of missiles and an endless supply of bullets, bosses include airborne, cloaked superfortresses and enemy aces equipped with laser beams and/or the equivalent of air-to-air small-yield nuclear bombs, and you are guaranteed to fly thorough at least one indoor/enclosed area in each title.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

My only exposure to Ace Combat was Assault Horizon or whatever? The one that is apparently really different from all the other and has a bunch of other vehicles other than planes? Maybe i need to see if i can find 5/Zero at my local used games store.

Yeah, it was quite a departure from their normal formula. See if you can find 04, 5, or Zero (all for the PS2) on the cheap. If you still have a PSP, both titles for it are fun as hell, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

GWBBQ posted:

I decided to try Space Station 13 again today...

Chef is another great "beginner" job. Nobody fucks with you and you have a room full of relatively harmless equipment you can tinker with in order to get a feel for how things work. Plus, if you're on a strict RP server, as long as you're cooking something, you're technically doing your job, so you won't get hassled.

First thing I do as chef is go get a bunch of alcohol from the bar and dump it into the fryer. If anyone eats a delicious snack you fry up, he or she gets fuckin' shitfaced :toot: