Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

I can't get over how good they made Halo 2 look in the Master Chief Collection. The cutscenes are really top notch. I love the way the Gravemind looks

Spoilers if you've never played Halo 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOMpggSWe-w&feature=youtu.be&t=29s

It looks like they're playing Little Shop of Horrors straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

efb;

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

2house2fly posted:

So just to be certain I understand this post correctly, FFX is one of the ever made which belongs to the best RPG?

We found him guys. The least funny person ever.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Dragon Age: Origins had blood splatter that would persist into cutscenes as well.

It also automatically removed helmets from characters during the cutscenes and when you were in non-combat areas which was great. It was the first game I remember playing that did that. It was a minor annoyance in older games, but when games started having stuff like facial mo-cap it started to feel like you were missing out on a lot of work from the developers because you had equipped your character with a helmet. Mass Effect 2 was frustrating with that, because I'd spent time building my character's face in the last game, and cosmetic effects would happen to the character based on player actions, but if you wanted to use a helmet instead of the doofy looking visor or go equipment less you couldn't see your face for most of the game.

There's an Octocamo mask in MGS4 that leaves you looking like Snake has put a bag over his head. Makes the lengthy cutscenes a bit silly.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

wrong thread!

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Mar 30, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Am working through my Steam library and got round to playing Mysteries of the Sith, the 1998 expansion for Jedi Knight. It's a pretty drat ugly game with some really dated modelling, but at least you can zip around the levels at ridiculous speeds.

But the final boss is pretty cool. You cannot beat your dark side-crazed former master with violence - nothing you try even scratches him. The only solution is to stand still, turn off your lightsaber and let him attack you. Felt pretty zen."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been learning Italian recently, and I just realised that Don Corneo from FFVII translates as 'Don Horny'.

I really hope this whole sequence is left untouched in the remake.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Jun 27, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It also disgusted Eva if she was about.

MGS3 is the best.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love dressing my cardboard box up like an anime idol, then when a soldier is perving over her bursting out and giving him a metal fist square in the face.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, I don't really like the psychic kid in MGS5. "The psychic kid did it" is basically just MGS version of "A wizard did it".

or "Parasites did it" or "Nanomachines did it" or "Naomi did it".

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Turok 2 also had a pretty good flamethrower for an n64 game

Syndicate 2012 was a crap game but at least it had an excellent flamethrower.

*FWOOOOSH* "YEEEEARGGGHHH"

edit:

Love a good flamethrower in a vg

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

you can't do VO drunk

Mickey Rourke begs to disagree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been playing through Knights of the Old Republic again and daaaamn I'd forgotten how cunty you can be if you're evil.

On finding a man trapped between exploding droids in the desert:

quote:

- No I won't help you. In fact I'm going to stand here sipping ice water as I watch you die of thirst.
- What? Why?...
- It's the cruelest type of death possible.

After putting up with your elderly rambling Jedi party member's anecdotes:

quote:

- I hate you old man.

On watching your wholesome Jedi buddy Bastila being tortured, in the hope you'll crack.

quote:

- Go ahead, torture her. I don't really like her anyway.

On being criticised after returning from a mission to peacefully resolve a tense situation, having murdered everyone.

quote:

- I kill who I want, when I want!

And then there's the little choices like helping enslave a planetful of wookies, assassinating rape victims, making people poo poo themselves, mercilessly exterminating sandpeople, poisoning the galaxy's supply of medicine...

And then there's Zaalbar and Mission's fate.... :devil:

This is so much better than Mass Effect's vaguely jerky renegade choices. I wish more games let you be a dick to this degree.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Dec 14, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Doesn't the guy in the desert purposefully move to trigger the explosions as a "gently caress you" if you do that?

Yes. At first he assumes you're joking as no-one could be that diabolical. When you assure him that you indeed are that evil, he suicides and tries to take you with him.

I also love that after being a monumental dickhead all over the starting planet, you can turn up at the Jedi Enclave with deathly grey skin, lizardy eyes and tendrils of darkness creeping around your face. Then, after being moustache-twirlingly evil and bloodthirsty in front of the stuffy Councillors they decide that you're the perfect candidate for Jedi training and give you a lightsaber (in which you can promptly swap out the boring blue crystal for a demonic red one).

What could possibly go wrong!?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

El Cid posted:

That's still probably my favorite evil path for any game. A lot of is still just generic evil PC character stuff where you're essentially just a thug demanding more credits after you complete mission, but then you get things like the Mission/Zaalbar scene.

I love the PC reacting to the big twist with a "huh, that makes sense..." Five minutes later you're cackling, chucking lightning bolts everywhere and yelling "the dark lord is reborn!" It's especially great if you head to the Sith planet after the reveal, because you can throw your name about and behave like even more of a dick than usual.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love this article about being a KOTOR bastard: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-21-bastard-of-the-old-republic

Really sums up the depths of misery you can drag everyone around you down to.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

They should really port these classic RPGs to iOS/Android. Only got half an hour into Planescape on PC before losing interest, but i reckon it'd be much more palatable if i could dip in and out wherever I am.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Baldurs gate 1 and 2 and ice wind dale all have android/ios ports so who knows.

Ah, sweet.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Yennefer was awesome and people that don't like her tend to be assholes.

She's win win.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Capcom made a PS2 game that was a sequel to The Nightmare Before Christmas, it was mostly a kind of mediocre kid-friendly Devil May Cry knockoff (complete with having Santa Jack as a Devil Trigger) but one kind of interesting thing it did was have the boss battles be actual musical numbers like the movie where you collect music notes by attacking the boss and then do a rhythm game where you sing and dance to actually damage them.

Granted, they weren't exactly good songs but it's the thought that counts.

I can't believe I've never heard of this game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really liked this because a side-effect was it made the AI less predictable and prone to shooting in panic at dark corners where you might in fact be hiding. It gave you a really good feeling of tension between "this guy's helpless and making GBS threads himself, I can finish him off easily" and "he's making GBS threads himself and firing wildly, if I swoop in at the wrong time he might hit me". Not that it happened often, but the fact that it could was cool

Far better to silently walk behind just them for about ten seconds, then when the turn around spin around they proceed to piss themselves.

Asylum best Arkham game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Optimus Prime's truck is hidden in Assassin's Creed 1

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

I had more fun with the Wolverine: Origins beat-em-up.

Now that is an under-rated game. Being hacked up to just an angry metal skeleton and then regenerating back to Hugh Jackman was a cool effect.

Really scratches the same itch as Revengeance.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Could you spoiler that?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CJacobs posted:

And as we all know, if lots of people like something it can't be bad. When has that ever happened before!

Now now now it's bad when a dragon gets stuck in a building but it's no :hitler:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

SE also announced that they're working on some patches to add more to the story with voiced cutscenes and modifications to the last chapter to shore up the weaknesses they're aware of.

They're patching the story? Sounds like a good reason to hold off on buying it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution for the first time in a while, and I love that when you get to the secret Illuminati media manipulation base there's emails complaining about the amount of money spent on ominous sculptures. "Do we really need that stone hand squeezing the globe right in the lobby? We're not Bond villains! At least I know where my bonus money went this year..."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nuebot posted:

old snake beating the hypnotically suggested ghost of his dead clone brother out of the head of another old man who was the would-be gay lover of his clone dad

Man I'm going to miss Metal Gear's particular brand of weird.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Len posted:

No you see you were supposed to replay it and do the opposite of everything you were told because that's where the real game was at :smug:

Well, yeah. Pretty much.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I played Headhunter on the Dreamcast - I think it might have been one of the last games released on it.

Remember it being bizarrely ambitious - having an open world for no apparent reason and kind of a Metal Gear gameplay vibe. I do remember its bonkers plot quite well though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

The South Park: Stick of Truth soundtrack has so much love put into it I'm a little uncomfortable. Apparently Matt Stone and Trey Parker are musicians themselves and had a lot of input?

Yes you might have heard of their global smash hit musical The Book of Mormon.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like that Dishonored 2 tells me the screen ratios in the resolutions list. Seems like an obvious thing to do.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Dreadful Crimes missions in Assassin's Creed Syndicate are absolutely amazing. You play detective and solve murders, piecing together motives and method from the evidence you sniff out in the crime scenes. You can accuse the wrong people too, so it's always tense when you think you've got it worked out. They seem better written and designed than the rest of the game too. It's a bit silly that they were relegated to PS4 exclusive DLC.

The second one, where you gradually deduce that you're looking at a Jekyll and Hyde situation is :discourse:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gunstar Heroes just sucker punched me. When beat one of the bosses you get a gem. When you beat Black (the seedy looking boss), he tosses his gem to you, but it turns out to be a bomb in disguise. It killed me and I had to do his fight again.

I'd be pissed off if the game weren't so fun.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Assassin's Creed Unity has a hell of a lot wrong with it, but I have to respect Ubisoft for the size of the in-game crowds.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The giant monster gorillas in Metro 2033 are awesome. If you attack them (which you instinctively will because every other mutant in the game is hellbent on murder) they're gigantic angry bullet sponges that can kill you in a couple of hits. But if you just stare right in their eyes, stand your ground and don't turn your back, they'll walk away and leave you unharmed.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Jun 3, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love how unashamedly goofy The Saboteur is. PC Sean Devlin is a foul-mouthed one man murder machine who can soak up gunfire and regenerate his health almost instantly. He could probably win the war single-handedly if he set his mind to it. It makes the stealth mechanics all but redundant, as the quickest and most fun way to do missions is to drive a car at full speed into the Nazis, burst out and run around machine-gunning the bastards while Sean shouts "BOLLOCKS" repeatedly.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Jun 18, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cum Galleon posted:

Oim fuckin Irish

Top o' the moirnin to 'ya!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got an arcade stick recently so I've been playing a lot of classic 2D fighters. I love the attract sequences on Capcom's VS games. So hype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtqwMz2ITcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTBvVudFXZw

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love that in HITMAN, dead bodies eventually get dragged away in body bags. I poisoned a guy in the Bangkok hotel level and was hanging out in the kitchen disguised as a chef trying to work out how to get my next target, when a grumbling security guy drags a body bag through the kitchen.