Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Was playing Metal Gear Solid 3 HD last night and noticed something new - while in the torture scene you can see the Sorrow holding up a note to dial a certain frequency - you use it to escape from your cell afterwards.

Prior to the torture scene, though, you're talking to Sokolov and there's some blueprints/schematics in the background. Something I've only noticed in the HD version? That same frequency is clear as day on the blueprints. I wonder if it was always there and only updating the textures made it legible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cobalt impurity posted:

When you're in jail, if you throw the food the guard gives you back out of the cell he'll eat it. If you do it three times, he'll strike up a conversation with you and the frequency is on the back of a photograph he pulls out during the cutscene.

Holy crap, I've got to try this.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That's another little thing about Resi 4 - you get given ammo based on what weapons you're using, which has advantages over set ammo drops giving you ammo for weapons you don't use.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I liked about the Assassin's Creed games that had crafting (which is 3, 4 and Rogue) is how they handled the items you needed to collect. Sure you could go out and do all the hunting/fishing required or you could just go to a General Store and buy the skins. Because they're just animal skins.

I love this. Especially in Rogue with money so easy to come by, I've got all the health upgrades already without having to deal with hunting.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

scarycave posted:

In FFV, they tried to use a phoenix down and various healing spells on a dead character. In a cutscene.
Didn't work, but I think this is the only time in a FF game where they actually tried to revive someone like that.

I love it when that happens - stops a plot hole occurring. First time I remember it occurring in games I played was Phantasy Star IV:

Gires is the best healing spell you have at the time, and the character isn't dead, they're just beyond normal means of healing due to a boss' special attack.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

I spent the whole game thinking "man, that's a dumb sneaking suit, everyone can see you coming from a mile away!"

And then I got the the boss fight. "Hey, where the gently caress is sh... oh go-CQC BODY SLAM" :gonk:

The Boss only operates in fields of white flowers and snowy conditions.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm playing through Dark Souls blind, and I just noticed that among the summon signs outside boss doors, there are signs NPCs have apparently put down, too. I know it's probably to make the game easier if you're playing offline, but it helps make the world feel more lived-in, as if NPCs are actually running around doing the same poo poo you are.

I didn't know about this early in my first run and missed out on an early NPC summon. I haven't missed it since, and that character is one of my favourite little things :3:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That's fair, but in Dark Souls you finish the game the same whether you've seen 50% of the content or 100%, so you don't miss anything by not using a guide. There's no hidden superbosses like in a Final Fantasy game or the like. Seeing things vs missing them just makes your own little Dark Souls story different.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Just noticed the tiniest of little details at the beginning of Bioshock: There are many clues as to Atlas' real identity that only get less and less subtle as the game goes on before the reveal, but one thing that's important to keep in mind is that he knew from the start that Jack was going to return to the city and when. The first thing Atlas says to Jack when you pick up the radio at the very start of the game is "I dunno how you survived that plane crash, but I've never been one to question Providence", which is interesting because he doesn't really have any way to know there was a plane crash when they're so far down under the ocean that you can't even see the surface; parts of the plane don't even start sinking that far down until like half an hour later. The reason I find it interesting is because it could either be an oversight (because Atlas never explains how he knew there was a plane crash right off the bat) OR it could be very very subtle foreshadowing (because he knew how Jack was intended to get to Rapture all along). I choose to believe the writers are smart and it was intentional (but it could just as easily not have been).

Considering the plane crashed pretty much right on Rapture's surface doorstep (you can see the entrance from the burning wreckage) it wouldn't shock me that the denizens of Rapture would know about it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Are there really people who have played every AC game?

Everything but the Vita and PS4 ones. In my defence, I stopped buying them after Revelations or Brotherhood, but kept getting them given as gifts at Christmas time since my wife knows I like the series (less and less as we go on, Rogue was dumb).

littleorv posted:

Assassins Creed does loving suck now, much to my dismay.

In Dark Souls I like how there are massive hidden areas that the game doesn't railroad you to find. I'm specifically thinking of Ash Lake(?) which you can go to from a relatively early area. There is also the obscure as gently caress way to get back to the area where you first started the game to get an item that transports you to another hidden area.

Ash Lake is what you're thinking of. You get two secret areas from Blighttown - the Great Hollow, which leads to Ash Lake.

And getting back to the first area blew my mind the first time I did it - and then the asylum demon owned me over and over again :gitgud:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know why, but I've never been able to get into the well.

I tried so many times to get into the well, considering all the other hidden stuff in that game. When I finally did manage the jump (you need to hit the angle pretty perfectly) and died I just couldn't be mad at you, Dark Souls :3:

Yakuza 4 is little things: the game for sure though. I was looking forward to playing darts, found a place that was called "Dart World" or whatever but it was just a background shop that you can't enter. Later I stumble into a bar looking for a drink (another little thing: when you order a drink it tells you a bit about the real world brand that you're drinking) and found the darts board! They're electronic and awesome.

Shame it couldn't have multiplayer just for those games. My wife would totally play the golf, ten pin bowling or darts games with me if she had the chance.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Been playing RE Remake, and being a big wuss I like how the mansion kind of empties out as you progress. I'm past the point of hunters, and now I know some safe hallways to take. It's still tense, mind you, but I can handle it better, and makes you feel like you're progressing in a game with a looooooooooot of backtracking.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alteisen posted:

I like how Snake just can't open the box and get his new gear, he has to get INTO the box and burst out of it wearing the new stuff.

:hfive: Yeah that's awesome - unless you're in a boss fight and in a hurry and it's just "DAMMIT SNAKE JUST PICK IT UP gently caress"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

So hey, if you kill people with fire in Bloodborne they'll scream in agony and thrash around until they die, rather than simply going "ugh" and falling over. :catstare:

There's a leech enemy in DS3 that loving screams if you kill it with fire.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

You don't like Mrs Chu? Sounds like you need a pork bun in your hand.

The man who never eat a pork bun is never a full man!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

thecluckmeme posted:

Was it Legendary Frog who did those videos? I remember there being whole series full of tiny detail jokes where you had to right-click pause then right-click zoom to keep up with them because they were too unnoticeable at default resolution

Looks like it!

playlist

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Frush posted:

I looked up the rankings to see what the #1 guy for sunken ships had, since you climb the ranks pretty quick to a point. The top dude had more than 300,000 ships. I had ~300 by the end of the game. :stare:

Prrrrrrrrrrooooooobably a cheater/hacker

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Danaru posted:

I was playing as Jason and overheard a counselor on the phone. I waltz over and smash the phone box. I could actually hear the line suddenly go dead and have a busy signal from outside. The police countdown didn't start because the call never finished, that's some legit horror movie poo poo right there :allears:

Police countdown should start anyway because if you call the cops, sound distressed and the call suddenly gets cut off you'd reckon they'd at least try and follow up :argh: (more of an IIMM for horror movies I guess)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cleretic posted:

On looking into it on a hunch, it just dawned on me what the last regular zone in Sonic Mania did right. It seemed almost anticlimactic to have a game with such a heavy nostalgia focus be original, until I realized what it actually is. I am far from the first person to recognize this, but I still put all the pieces together largely on my own.

Titanic Monarch Zone is a pretty striking level visually, being comparable to some classic zones yet utterly unlike them. It bears the most resemblance to Metropolis Zone, with its heavily colored mechanical setting as well as it being loving huge, but it's pretty unique as a level and visually differentiates itself by being clearly set in a futuristic city, ans well as being a lot more focused on rounded slopes and aerial moves. The name is possibly intentionally ridiculous, being kinda thesaurus-abusey in a way that none of the other zones, new or old, were.

So it's entirely new, but with inspiration from older levels. But then the main ingredients came together.

-Most resembles Metropolis Zone
-High-tech city
-Lot of rounded slopes, aerial play, has some pinball elements
-Ridiculous name
-Big and difficult
-In a game so willing to make esoteric pulls that they built an entire level around a single beta Sonic 2 screenshot

There was a planned single-act zone that became part of Metropolis, that was likely meant to be intimidating and long. The one image we have of it is of Sonic mid-jump off a rounded slope. The visual design of that zone eventually got reused for one of Sonic Spinball's levels, but most people who know anything about it never went beyond its astoundingly insane name, that reportedly came from thesaurus abuse.

Titanic Monarch is Genocide City.

Sonic Mania rules and this poo poo is amazing. Drives me crazy that all the YouTube "10 Easter Eggs" videos are poo poo like "the special stages are from Sonic 3~!~!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

So are transitions good or not? My wife has lost multiple pairs of prescription sunglasses so if they're any good that's the way to go.