Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Hatoful Boyfriend, that weird otome game parody where all of the boys you can date are photographed birds:

1. Each new bird is introduced with a drawing of what it would look like as a human. Except one bird is depicted as... a bird wearing a suit. This character speaks in subtitled coos.

2. One of the romance options is the creepy, secretive school doctor. Maybe there's a kind and loving person hiding beneath that cold exterior? In the bad ending for this path, he kills you. In the good ending, he kills you and keeps your severed head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Elder Scrolls Online has a surprisingly good housing system that gives you a lot of creative freedom, and it's doing a nice job of filling the void left by the lack of a new Animal Crossing.

Rollersnake posted:

@Wueben of Divine Design Alliance transformed Daggerfall Overlook into this amazing halloween funhouse that must be seen to be believed. I highly recommend you visit, and if you find yourself wondering if you've reached the end—you haven't.

Spoiler: The house seems to end at an altar with a legendary cheese. I was posing my character for a screenshot when I noticed my feet clipping through the carpet. Just I was thinking how strange it was that rest of the house was designed with such care and right at the end they missed the carpet hovering a couple inches above the ground, I fell in a concealed pit trap and died.

I'm not quite on that level yet, but I made a latrine. :v:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Oh, I also have a thing from Streets of Rage 3—the bottles that fall off the shelves and crash on the floor when someone gets thrown during the Yasha & Onihime fight. It's a neat little detail that adds to the atmosphere, which I didn't even appreciate until I noticed it doesn't happen in Streets of Rage Remake.

Edit: Also, best boss theme ever, only used one other time in the whole game.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 11:50 on Nov 18, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I remember being interested in that game when I saw the previews, but I completely forgot about it after it came out and got mediocre reviews. Now I'm tempted to track down a copy, because you're making it sound really unique and worth playing.

Xenoblade Chronicles was the only Operation Rainfall game I bought, and I never even loving played it.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Nov 25, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

BioEnchanted posted:

A few aspects that may help that decision, good and bad - :

The game operates on a fixed, tracking camera, which for a Wii game is a great idea because it means you always see exactly what you need to to navigate without having to wrestle with centering it with a button like Epic Mickey. Generally the best wii games have had unchanging cameras, either The Last Story style third-person over the shoulder, where you always see what is right in front of you, or the Pandora's Tower method of showing all the important parts of any particular "scene", like the waterwheel - the camera tracks from facing the wheel at an angle so that you can see the pegs to latch on to, then shifts to show you a handle that you can then latch onto to swing from, then again to give a better angle to the ledge that you now need to swing on. If not expecting them however, these transitions can be a little jarring, and it makes it easy for enemies to go offscreen, where you can't aim the chain shot at them (there is at least one enemy where the trick is chain shotting him to break the armour and do the damage as swords don't do anything, but if you accidentally get too close to him he can take an unnecessarily large chunk of health off you).

The healing items are annoyingly scarce, you can only buy one medicine (per day? either way at once) from the merchant, although if you have the right ingredients you can craft more, but at times it can feel very tight. Especially if you come across a difficult enemy that you don't know how to fight and that can hurt a lot, like the aforementioned armoured dude, you could end up having to grind the items needed to make the healing items before actually facing the boss. Although the nature of the enemies and puzzles means that you can run past all of them after the puzzles are solved and the boss door is opened - all you need to do then is run to the door. Also you can figure out most enemies and how to dodge them it's just tricky at first, so it's a very Soulsian "Get Good" kind of balance.

Absolutely everything about this makes it sound like my kind of game. Are the puzzles actually challenging/fun, or are they just kinda there?

Also you inadvertently reminded me of Lost in Shadow, another Wii game I was interested in and never ended up buying. I feel like that has to be in your backlog, if you haven't played it already.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

It's actually completely unrelated plotwise to the other games and is terrible to boot. Go back and try Ecco and Tides of Time sometime, they're phenomenal.

Specifically the Sega CD versions due to more levels, added mid-level checkpoints, and incredible soundtracks.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Tron 2.0 sounded cool to me years ago, and it still sounds cool to me now. I've never really been into first-person shooters (and I've never beaten any FPS, unless Portal counts), but is there a chance I might still enjoy it? I actually kind of like first-person platforming, but I hate games where you have to constantly quicksave to progress.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Dec 31, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Wizardry Gaiden IV - Throb of the Demon's Heart got a full translation patch recently, and I really cannot recommend it highly enough to fans of the classic Wizardry games.

1. It's essentially Wizardry 5.5—the same interface and gameplay as SNES Wizardry 5, with all the races and classes from Wizardry 6.
2. There's an incentive for you to not waste hours at the start of the game rerolling characters. If you create a character with less than exceptional stats, the game tells you the character "needs more training" and you have the option of starting them at level 4. This is honestly better than good initial rolls for a new party, as you get to skip the phase of the game where your group of potentially gifted yet fragile L. 1 characters wipes to the first enemy encounter.
3. Even if you don't take advantage of this, there's a "training grounds" dungeon where you never encounter multiple groups of enemies in the same fight, and you're resurrected for free if you die.
4. The game begins with three moderately sized dungeons of comparable difficulty you can explore in any order—so if/when you get stuck you can just go make progress somewhere else. When you finish one, you get a message saying the other dungeons have been invaded by adventurers, and you go through them with all the doors unlocked and puzzles solved.
5. NPCs I've run into in the starting dungeons include:
- An angel who collects any items you've discarded from your inventory.
- An exotic weapons merchant, for people like me who must have a Samurai in their starting party.
- A mortician who recovers the bodies of party members who have died in the maze. I don't intend to have to make use of his services, but it's nice to know that having your whole party die in a dangerous area isn't a game-ending scenario anymore.
6. This game is big. I've been playing for over a week, my party's at the level where you'd beat Wizardry 1, and I haven't even reached the main dungeon of the game yet.

This is still Wizardry, the dungeon design is still deviously cruel, and you're still always a couple of careless mistakes away from permadeath—but compared to the games I grew up with, I feel downright spoiled. Also I'm playing it on a flashcart on my actual SNES, and it's actually fun diving for the reset button like it's 1993.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Also, don't mistake my praise for Throb of the Demon's Heart as praise for the Japanese Wizardry games in general. Of the Japanese Wizardry games that did get official English releases, Tale of the Forsaken Land is pretty good but frustratingly linear and too centered on its own cast of characters, Labyrinth of Lost Souls is very poorly designed, and Wizardry Online I haven't played but everything I've heard about it sounds awful.

Wizardry Gaiden I-III for the original Game Boy have also gotten fan translations, but I haven't played them. There is a password feature to transfer characters between them and to Throb of the Demon's Heart, which is pretty neat.

Edit: Also, the English text in the Japanese version of Gaiden IV is mostly accurate, but has some amusing errors that got fixed in the fan translation. All of the hammer weapons were called Hummer, and all the plate armors were called Breast. Broken Breast, Cursed Breast, etc.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Jan 19, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Yeah, later GTA took itself too seriously, and Saint's Row was too outlandishly stupid. Vice City got it exactly right.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

BioEnchanted posted:

Now I've beaten all three stories in Woody Woodpecker the bonus I unlocked it surprisingly interesting (it's the handleld game console and cartridge that Knothead and Splinter are trying to retrieve in their stories, so there is a good reason you have to beat all the stories). It's a weird Donkey-Kong-but-different kind of 2d platformer where you try to reach the girls at the top of the screen and on each platform Buzz Buzzard shows up to add obstacles to avoid. It's worse than the rest of the game due to wonky hit detection so I'm not going to bother with it, but it's interesting that it exists.

That reminds me, there's a Woody Woodpecker game on GBA that was supposed to have been the last Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle game, but Kemco went with what I assume was a much cheaper license.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, there were at least two other Crazy Castle games I didn't know existed, because one was a Mickey Mouse game, and the other was The Real Ghostbusters in NA, and Garfield in Europe. :psyduck:

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Aug 6, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I love how the story of Illusion of Gaia is structured. You gradually accumulate a large group of friends who travel with you, and in the second half of the game, one by one, they leave you for one reason or another, until at the end it's just you on your own again. Even without the context of the specific events, it's rather melancholy.

I'm still amazed by the "dude burns alive on screen" bit. He's a background villain throughout the whole game that you never actually see until this scene, and then this happens completely out of nowhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wwT_kfo_rs

It's particularly impactful, well, if you're a kid playing this in 1994, but also because the rest of the game is not particularly violent. Kind of like sticking a Mortal Kombat fatality in A Link to the Past.

Glagha posted:

slavery is a major plot thing

You can't get one of the 50 collectibles needed to access the secret bonus dungeon unless you help capture a runaway slave.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Aug 19, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
My only anger regarding Wind Waker is that it is an incomplete game. There's one blatantly missing dungeon, and two mini-dungeons that were obviously not supposed to have been mini. It might've been my favorite Zelda had they actually been able to finish it.

Also while I agree that Wind Waker has aged better, I still think that Twilight Princess looks amazing. That warm lighting and heavy bloom that were so maddeningly prevalent in games of that era were never put to better use than in creating the sickly, alien atmosphere of the Twilight Realm.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Sep 11, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
In all my time playing SotN, I never used Fist of Tulkas, and never knew this. I usually favor fist and knife weapons earlier in the game, so I'm not sure why. Maybe I just never acquired it except in runs where I farmed for the Crissaegrim, in which case I used that.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I had to look up what other neat weapons I might have overlooked, and there are a few.

I have never seen this knife. Ever.

I had no idea this sword was a more powerful version of the Shield Rod!

There's a hell of a lot more to the Muramasa than I ever suspected.

Not sure if I ever used the Heaven's Sword, but I definitely didn't know there was a special attack if you equipped two of them.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I just wish there were, like, any Metroidvanias that took the maximalist approach to the extent that SotN did. No matter how much or how little you care about hunting down obscure secrets in SotN, you'll have enough good equipment to get by, and caring more just gets you more options. There's just so many opportunities to acquire cool stuff that you can't help but find some combination of it in some sequence. Give me a well-paced, carefully-designed game, but also give me an abundance of entertaining clutter.

The Binding of Isaac (and, presumably, Dead Cells) kind of scratches that same itch, but I'll never get the same satisfaction of a roguelike/lite that I get out of a more structured game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Simply Simon posted:

Is Aria/Dawn of Sorrow not enough for you? I really enjoy in those games that every time you play, you'll get different Soul drops, or you might decide to actively grind a rare one asap this time, and you have "normal" weapons to use on top of that.

Also, contrary to SotN, the Sorrows are not trivial after a point/excluding Garamoth-shaped outliers, so there's actual incentive to get good with your current setup and/or experiment with new ones.

I really like Aria of Sorrow, and I think on hard mode it has the most balanced challenge of all the Metroidvanias. But everything's just on a smaller scale than SotN, and there are fewer odd surprises.

Dawn of Sorrow I haven't played since it was new, but all I really remember are the soul grinding, shoehorned-in touchscreen mechanics, and a couple of good boss fights that got reused in Harmony of Despair.

Cleretic posted:

A totally different genre, but this is actually the thing I most like about Final Fantasy V; the game's so generous with abilities with really strong potential uses that you're almost definitely going to find some really remarkable single tool or combo over the course of the game. And the game's balanced with the intention that you're using those combos, so when you actually do figure out the strength of Dual Wield-Rapid Fire or something it really pays off and you feel like a badass.

I adore Final Fantasy V, and you're right—it succeeds for very similar reasons. I never really made a connection between the two.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The Yellow Devil is one of the most tedious, lovely boss fights ever designed, and it's baffling to me that they just kept bringing it back.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
When you get around to Lufia 2, play it with these patches. It's probably my favorite RPG of all time, but it has some obnoxious bugs and text errors that detract from the experience.

There's also this possibly better patch, but I haven't used it and can't personally vouch for it. It sounds like it might be one of those patches that overreaches/adds cool swears.

Blood Sally posted:

You should drop Fortress of Doom now and hop straight to Rise of the Sinistrals! Nothing of importance will be lost!

Don't listen to this guy! If you're enjoying Lufia 1 now, you'll still be enjoying it later, and the ending is really something special.

But yes, Lufia 2 is absolutely a better game in every possible way.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Nov 30, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Later on i found an old man in a secret cave that you have to burn a bush to find. When you enter he just says PAY ME FOR THE DOOR REPAIR and takes 40 of your rupees lmfao

If you end up doing the Master Quest, there's a really evil variant of this where you have to give up a heart container if you don't have the rupees.

On reflection, for its time, the original Zelda had a massive amount of content, didn't it? There are definitely NES games that took me longer to beat, but I think those were all RPGs padded with random encounters. That technically includes Zelda II as well.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
That preview image is pretty :nws:, maybe repost without the video tags?

I got my fill of making inappopriate lizardmen in Elder Scrolls Online, so in SC6 I made an angel with a butt for a face and a face on his butt, and something that started as a blow-up doll mummy and got worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ZINpqcPwo

Edit: My masterpiece in ESO is a drunk, pregnant Argonian named Barefoot-and-Gravid:

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Mar 4, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's got to feel weird to be an artist turning out great work that then gets applied to mediocre products. Like the NES Pictionary title screen music.

Even better: an artist turning out great work that gets applied to a mediocre product and then isn't actually used in-game. Poor Jeroen Tel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0-ALaY146Q

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Screaming Idiot posted:

That sounds insufferable and the devs should be savagely beaten for coming up with something so dumb.

I was going to say, did they seriously not learn anything from the complaints about the Zodiac Spear? Which was the infamous obscure superweapon from the original version of the game that could only be obtained if you did not open several specific chests throughout the entire game in a way that was 100% impossible to know without a guide. But it looks like they fixed that and you can acquire the Zodiac Spear by sane means now, and they added two more even more obscenely difficult to acquire (but not permanently missable) superweapons to compensate. :v:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Reading up a bit on Zodiac Age, I'm inclined to buy it despite not finishing the original FF12. I'm not bothered by the absurdly hidden invisible bow and sword because they gave you multiple ways of acquiring the Zodiac Spear plus apparently added more endgame weapons. I loved the amount of freedom FF12 gave you in developing your characters' specializations, until you got near the end and all the (realistically obtainable) best weapons were swords, and gently caress you if you were trying to be different, I guess.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Mamkute posted:

Also, you can put yourself into your partner's body which helps by making so that both players have only one hit box.

:wiggle:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

HPanda posted:

I know Chrono Trigger had chests that if you opened them at the wrong time, you'd screw yourself out of better items later. Was it the first game to do that?

Final Fantasy VI did this before ChronoTrigger with the cave to South Figaro, which has three different possible sets of loot depending upon when in the game you grab it. I can't think of anything that predates this, but I feel like there has to be something.

Edit: This was an arbitrary secret in FF6, but a bit of a puzzle you could actually figure out on your own in CT. They're special chests that you find long before you get the item that lets you unlock them, and when you do, if you examine them in the past first, it's clear you're doing something that will affect them in the future. If I remember correctly.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Mar 18, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I don't-know-what either.

:darksouls:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What other games have secrets on par with two entire levels hidden behind two false walls from you-know-what?

It's easy to overlook since it's the game that put the vania in Metroidvania and everyone knows about the inverted castle now, but the entire second half of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was hidden content.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The original Wario Land was one of my favorite original GB games, but I never ended up playing any of the sequels. I'm beginning to think that was probably a terrible mistake.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
"No multiplayer" was my #1 most-wanted Souls feature, so I'm going to have to play Sekiro. I've always been completely terrible at parrying in any game where parrying is even a thing, though, so it sounds like I'm in for a really rough time.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Cleretic posted:

I just posted something about Dissidia Final Fantasy NT's roster in the other thread, but in the process I actually just realized that series has done something that I don't see many other fighting games do.

One of its heavy characters is a woman. Usually the female characters are the light and quick types, to the point where I can only think of one counter-example to that in conventional fighting games (Mortal Kombat's Sheeva), so the fact that Dissidia's basic roster has one--and has since the first game, at that--is remarkable and really pleasing. I can play a woman and also hit like a loving train, it's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHgdoDfXGAY

One of my favorite examples of this. Fighter's History has a reputation as a Street Fighter clone, so the first time I played this game I took one look at this character and went "oh, it's girl Ryu." :rolleyes:

Uh, no, not exactly.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I haven't played Jimmy yet, but is the whole thing a cancer allegory that ends with Jimmy dying? Distinctly got that impression from what little I know about the game, and I want to know if I'm right.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Knytt Underground was one of the first games I got for PS Vita, and I really liked it. It's hard to do that whole sprawling, mostly empty, directionless Metroidvania thing well, but the atmosphere was so compelling. The dark, hellish areas near the bottom of the game world felt really creepy and oppressive for places where, iirc, there wasn't even anything that could actually hurt you. Pretty sure they hid at least one of the game's biggest secrets in one of those screens I really did not want to linger in.

Also I was really confused why the game got an M rating until quite a ways in. There's one character who swears a lot, and that's it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I'm frankly shocked that a game that niche that doesn't have anime tits got a release on the Vita.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Never played Drive Girls, but Dungeon Travelers 2 was a legitimately good dungeon crawler in the style of classic Wizardry—can't help but be at least a little ashamed I own it, though.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I was extremely disappointed with Bravely Default, but that sounds like they tried to address my biggest problem with the original, at least. Are the towns any less flat and lifeless feeling?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'd ask him to post about one where I get a pay rise but it would end up with me in a dangerous mine cart race or instafail stealth situation or something equally horrible

Oh, that's Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, more or less.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I love that they had the attention to detail to include crumbs and spots of sauce and grease in the dish—that really goes a long way to making it not look artificial.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got quite a bit further in Eternal Ring and I'm appreciating the variety in environments. I just did a dungeon that involved a bunch of interlocking elevators, pretty simple layout in practice but an interesting concept.

King's Field: The Ancient City was one of my favorite PS2 games, and even I didn't have the patience for Eternal Ring. Even back in the early PS2 days, it seemed weirdly outdated to have a 3D first-person action RPG with no analog support.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I never even got as far as The End, and that fight sounds like torture, because I am just awful at stealth. MGS3 is where I gave up on the series, because I found it unplayable without the clear radar screen that shows the cone of vision for every enemy, and it introduced so many new systems that just felt like busywork.

Honestly, I don't think I ever really cared for MGS except for the boss fights and bizarre parts. Which are excellent. I had Arsenal Gear in MGS2 almost completely spoiled for me, and I still loved every minute of it. :allears:

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Len posted:

I don't think I have Great Grape Escape anymore which was a game about moving from point a to point b but sometimes you got crushed (your piece was a grape formed out of playdough)

I had this, and I remember playing it using the glitter Play-Doh that was around at the time. :kiddo:

I seem to remember activating the trap in Mouse Trap having two possible outcomes:

1. The trap doesn't work, because the man doesn't go in the loving pan.

2. The trap doesn't work, because the man doesn't go in the loving pan, but the cage falls anyway because the board was jostled enough by the trap activating.