Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

I saw one that I'm assuming is a Breaking Bad reference as it said the person "collects minerals."

I found someone else who collects spores, molds, and fungus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never tried that, but I did appreciate how larger and larger orders (like tanks instead of jeeps) are delivered by larger and larger helicopters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think the cops do care about moving violations, but only those they personally witness (a cruiser spawns naturally in the world, which is very rare, and you horse around in its line of sight). Once I switched to alert status out of nowhere while bombing down some backwoods road and that's the only way I can think of that it could have happened.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TontoCorazon posted:

There is a loving crazy amount of dialogue in all the halo games
Just browsing this page it's insane
http://halo.bungie.org/misc/dialogue

There's an easter egg in most of the Halo games that will rearrange the dialog tables so that rare phrases become much more likely to be said, and there are some real gems in there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, every character in Borderlands 2 will do that. It's a clever way to keep you from missing out on dialog and also save you from having to stand around doing nothing else while they talk.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did anyone ever figure out the exact, reliable steps for making peace between them rather than having to kill one faction off? Last time I paid close attention to the game that was still somewhat of a mystery.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elysiume posted:

In Tribes: Ascend you could shoot yourself in the foot (and take damage) if you looked straight down and fired. It was pretty excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mECtAa2-Ln0

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LoonShia posted:

Dishonored really needed a non-lethal melee option. The classic Thief-style kosh wouldn't have been out of place.

IIRC it's possible to choke people unconscious without snapping their neck, but it takes longer and makes more noise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The HL2 influence is everywhere and even more obvious with the architecture and the machinery that looks like what you'd get if the Combine were really into steampunk. This is because they brought in the same guy responsible for HL2's look to design the city.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clearly an Outsider trick.

The blink freeze feature even works in midair, so it really expands the possibilities of an already incredibly useful tool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was one of the high points of SR4 when you walk around a nondescript corner in the middle of a mission and there's Roddy Piper for no reason and a few moments later he's in your party because why the hell not.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can set the player character's voice to "Nolan North".

SR4 is one of those games that will take over this entire thread for a page or two if we let it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Croccers posted:

Saints Row with an upgraded Red Faction Guerrilla destruction engine.

Well poo poo, now I'm gonna have to consult a doctor in four hours.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wild T posted:

In a series that relies goofy surrealism like Saints Row, I don't think "hey, I tipped that skyscraper over on top of that hospital ten minutes ago but now it's back" is going to bother me.

More like, "cool, next time I can tip it the other way into the police department."

Watch Dogs took itself very seriously and still had burst steam pipes magically repair themselves in minutes. No one will mind.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Usually it's not a good idea to have real architects design game spaces. They did that for Oni and while all the places were plausible structures, they were too realistic for their own good and filled with huge spaces that took far too long to traverse or hallways dotted with half a dozen empty side rooms.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I haven't played the game so maybe I just don't get it, but is this supposed to be an amorphous black blob with lensflare?

It's a puff of fungal spores drifting onto the screen. It loses a lot when shrunk down to gif size.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Or how stray dogs are now terrified of humans.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Praetorian Mage posted:

It was the Secret Order of the Emperor. Ironic that members of a "Secret Order" loudly advertised their identity with enormous arm tattoos. The view of the tattoo could have easily been incorporated into a view of a uniform, but whatever.

The secret order demands that its members show their devotion by wearing long sleeves at all times.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At one point in Prototype 2, you're told "Press X to gently caress over scientists".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Croccers posted:

I've never not shot him in the face. What happens if you don't? :ohdear:

He eventually stops ranting after several minutes, but that's it. I don't think it's possible to fail that quest entirely, if you shoot him somewhere else he takes no damage and shouts "THAT'S NOT THE FACE!"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cowboythreespeech posted:

At the end of said mission, Brick suggests that you just jump off the giant tower instead of clmibing down. I'm pretty sure doing so gets you an achievment; at the very least, it impresses Brick (and is awesome)

It's not an achievement, but there is special dialog that only triggers if you jump.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

I like his sarcastic assistant too.

"Oh hey great, so you're our newest recruit. Yeah we're not pissed that you just killed dozens of our friends or anything, no we're totally cool with having you onboard. :rolleyes:"

If you kill that guy Brick will laugh and thank you for it. I don't remember if you are instructed to do this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Dishonored world is the best thing about the game. It's grim without being cliched and steampunk without being annoying.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EmmyOk posted:

I heard it was done by the guy who did the world of Half-Life 2, which would explain why it's so well done. When you enter Campbell's secret room, there's a display case with a rune and some other miscellaneous objects. I'm pretty sure one of them is a mini HL2 Combine mask.

I don't know if he was involved in the writing, but they share the same art director, and it's really obvious from all the too-tall buildings and the look of the tech and vehicles. It's pretty much the Combine's Victorian era.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nothing in the canonical Animal Crossing will ever be as great as the LP where the town is a creepy prison and the paranormal stuff starts to drive the main character insane

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a fan theory based on the tie-in novel that came out shortly before the game did. The game acknowledges almost nothing from the books and outright contradicts them in a lot of places, and has no information about the backstory of the second co-op player- it's just another copy of the Master Chief model and it disappears for cutscenes so people can think it's Kelly if they want.

For Halo 4, they *did* try to build a much stronger connection between the game and the novels, but by then the novels had diverged so far from the original concept that the effect was to take an enormous poo poo on the game continuity and piss everyone off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EmmyOk posted:

Doesn't it just turn out things changed because you saved that scientist dude? Which wasn't a twist at all, it was just an obvious fact

That's made clear pretty quickly. At the end of the game you get a choice as to what to do, with one choice being go back in time to the start of the game and shoot your past self.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The MMO mechanics are a little shallow and there's a noticeable lack of content in general but the shooting is rock solid so if you like that you'll be having some kind of fun at every moment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ElwoodCuse posted:

Does the backstory that you have to jump through hoops to discover explain how we terraformed Venus? You know, surface temperature hotter than Mercury, atmospheric pressure 92 times greater than Earth. The probes that have landed there didn't last long.

magic LIGHT

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best thing about the Dead Space holograms is that they cast light on the environment if you maneuver them close to something. So do the lights on your helmet if the area is dark enough.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In Destiny, your character is accompanied by a ghost, a small flying robot that seemingly lives in your pocket and flies out to perform various tasks. When you open the menu your character takes out the ghost and holds it in front of him- but he doesn't if you open the menu while the ghost is elsewhere in the middle of doing something. The ghost's voice also changes when it's on duty; when it's in your pocket you hear his voice directly out of the speakers as though he's right where you are, but if he's out in the world his voice is directional and if you walk too far away it switches to radio. The ghost also produces your flashlight by hovering over your shoulder and shining a beam of light, but again, while he's away he can't do this and you temporarily don't have a flashlight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I'll never understand why future-tech games don't have flashlights. In Halo 2, they made the super-advanced alien Arbiter guy not have a flashlight for some reason. Like, at what point did illumination not become a priority for arms manufacturers?

I think that was more due to running out of controller buttons. I also liked the cloaking device better anyway- the game almost never puts you anywhere so dark that the flashlight helps, and the cloak changes up how he plays.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spalec posted:

After they eat rotten food every few seconds they get cramps, distracting them and letting you run past/sneak up on them. If they eat poisonous food they just straight up die :haw:

That's one of the best ways to beat The Fear, too. If you feed him poison he'll stop leaping around to barf and you can take off a good chunk of his health/stamina.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

poptart_fairy posted:

Prototype 2: Blackwatch are idiotic chucklefucks that talk about sleeping with infected zombies, and have scientists that demand "don't bring back any more fatties, they won't fit in the containment tubes".

Don't forget the guy who sends out a requisition form for new orphans because all the old ones have cancer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You could say the same thing about Prototype 2. The first game clearly positioned Blacklight as a line of absolute last resort- they do horrible things because the alternative is lethal pandemic and the end of civilization. The second game makes them so ridiculously, cartoonishly evil that they make the Captain Planet rogues' gallery look like ASPCA volunteers. It's more fun sometimes but it's less horror and much lighter than the first game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Male Man posted:

I don't understand why they would simplify the Nemesis system for the last-gen ports. It's not a computationally expensive thing; you could implement it on a Ti-83 if you were so inclined.

It may be resource-intensive if all the various traits have unique models, textures, audio, or other assets associated with them. The older consoles also probably have a lower cap on the total number of units that can be onscreen which would ruin a lot of the stories people have been telling about the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LoonShia posted:

Like the, actually pretty fun, Assassin's Creed multiplayer mode?

Man, even that is derivative of something they already did in another game.

Yeah, except it happens randomly whenever you're not busy doing a mission. It's like AC cross with Dark Souls- suddenly a message pops up that you are being hacked, and you have a few minutes in which to try to find the guy, sometimes with a hint on the automap about the area to look. The incentives are set up to keep you fairly close together and the invader isn't allowed to just shoot you so it's cat and mouse the whole time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

There was also a mode where you were supposed to tail another player and if you did it right they would never even know you were connected into their game.

You did know, it just didn't give you any guidance beyond the invasion alert. I lost a ton of those by sitting around waiting for the purple circle to pop up only to be told it was the other kind of hack and I was just successfully tailed.

There were also a couple of tells you cold use to detect people before the alert popped up, like time no longer stopping when you opened the map.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Oct 20, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Okami was a special two and a half games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a million little details in that game. There's an unlockable character who wears an eyepatch, and he only fires tears out of one side of his face. There's a powerup that changes the tears to pee, and it comes out of lower on his body.