Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Anatharon posted:

I haven't played it but apparently in Far Cry 4 the Pagan Man or whatever eurotrash of the hour is called asks you to sit for an hour, where you're expected to get up and start the game. You can choose to wait at which point an hour later he comes back, apologizes for the misunderstanding and sends you on your way

If that's true, it's awesome. I love that kind of thing in games; Shadow Complex had it too.

It's closer to about 15 minutes, plus also spoils the entire rest of the game really quickly. It's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Less Fat Luke posted:

Seems kind of like a bullshit excuse as it's already available on the PS3 and the 360, and every other game using that engine is on the PC.

Maybe the scripting and what not added is really hosed, I don't know. But it feels unlikely that they could gently caress things up that bad but then make it work on 2 out 3 platforms at the time.

Actually both the 360 and the PS3 used PowerPC processors, like older Macs. Whatever crazy poo poo they had to do to get that game working as well as it did, it apparently involved writing poo poo to the processor, which means a port to x86 would be nightmarish. I wouldn't even expect to see a PS4/XBOne port any time soon, if ever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aishan posted:

My favourite has to be the RPG one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUe7Wh7G31o

The Deagle is fantastic too: http://youtu.be/zy4eHMrGIc8

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
OK yeah I still don't have much interest in Hardline as a game but as far as fun poo poo in a game? Oh my god.

http://youtu.be/f-yqFhkFvKc

There's so many variants!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Evilreaver posted:

I dunno about CoJ, but in MGS3 there's a longass ladder that you climb and it's seriously 50 stories tall and there's a song playing while you climb. Or, if you hang out on the bottom rung until the song is over, the ladder is only 10 feet tall.

This makes that whole sequence so much better.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The blood in Bloodborne is seriously so great. It gets everywhere, enemies, the environment, all over you, but my favorite thing so far is it actually has gameplay consequences too. I found out I had to stop killing one guy so hard the scythe guy right before Vicar Amelia because his blood would splatter on and wake up another guy who I totally didn't want to fight. That's some crazy attention to blood detail. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Beastie posted:

Arkhangelsk Knight

I've uh... never played that one.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

Calorie Mates are very tasty, also. Big Boss is many things but he is not a liar.

The one time I had Calorie Mate it was the most godawful thing I'd ever tasted, including Final Fantasy Potion.

Maybe I got the wrong kind but it was like a shortbread cookie made out of sawdust.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
"Wow", I thought, "Ground Zeroes really is taking the tone of this series in a serious dark new direction!"

And then I played the bonus missions. Never mind.

"Huh, guess that's nothing special" when you point the special flashlight at the Revengeance logo made me laugh way harder than it should have.

e: v I'm kind of glad to hear that, Phantom Pain's downloading right now. It's been a long couple of weeks of Metal Gear but I'm finally there. :dance:

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Sep 25, 2015

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
And in the original Metal Gear, he found that HAM radio in the sewer! It all makes sense now! :monocle:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Naga posted:

It requires dozens of hours of grinding for the true ending, the bosses have health pools balanced for 2-3 people even in single player, Hayter sounds like a garbage disposal, and you can't even crawl under trucks to hide. It's really bad.

"Dozens of hours" if you really suck at it maybe. I got the true end at 20 hours' playtime, pretty normal for a Metal Gear.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Naga posted:

It will take several hours of nothing but fighting bosses over and over again to get all the parts needed for Zeke alone, not to mention all the other arbitrary requirements. The only way you can get it in a regular playthrough is if you're incredibly lucky.

Also introducing Huey was really stupid but Hot Coldman is cool.

The non-bonus bosses are super easy to take down in minutes once your weapons are upgraded. The PKM just shreds them to pieces and you get tons of parts by aiming for the AI core only. :shrug:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Naga posted:

Boy that sounds like a fun experience!

It... was? Seriously if you managed to need dozens of hours to beat PW, I hate to break it to you, but you're bad at video games.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Naga posted:

I mean if your idea of fun is repeatedly fighting the same bosses over and over again with no challenge, hoping that the RNG gives you exactly what you need in the shortest time possible then you might as well just go play roulette or something.

It was like three boss fights to have everything I needed. It really wasn't that bad.

Speaking of Peace Walker actually I really liked how in the bonus missions with ghosts, you could beat the ghosts by resuscitating their bodies.

Then fultoning them. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Naga posted:

"Daikatana is a bad game"
"I disagree"
"No really, it's bad. It's riddled with bugs, the level design sucks, it's half-finished and none of the weapons feel good to use."
"GEE WHY ARE YOU GETTING SO MAD THAT PEOPLE LIKE A GAME YOU DON'T LIKE!?"

i bet it took you dozens of hours to finish "you have to burn the rope" too

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I Fultoned a bunch of wild donkeys to take a video and make the terrible joke of "har har I need to stop Fultoning every random jackass I find".

There's now a photo of a family of donkeys in my mobile command chopper. They knew I was gonna do that. :catstare:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Rare's N64 games had great music for the same reason. All done in MIDI tracks but they swapped instruments out or changed tempo based on where you were and what you were doing. Banjo-Kazooie's soundtrack is almost 7 hours long because of it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Alteisen posted:

My fave MGSV moment is when you have to go recruit old mother base soldier, if you approach them normally it becomes a benny hill sequence, if you approach them in a box though they go "IS THAT YOU BOSS?" and it becomes trivial to recruit them.

I just tranq them in the head from a distance. Like everyone else.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way, anyone else find hte Abyss Watchers to be hard as balls? I'm having no end of trouble, the first form keeps kicking my rear end, parrying doesn't seem to do enough damage to really matter as I'm not good at it, and when he hits his second form I barely have enough estus to keep up, let alone actually hit him.

This was the boss that broke me of the Bandit Knife. During the first form just play keep away and plink the main one until it's dead (bonus points if the random adds help out on that) and the key thing for form two is he has ZERO form of defense even from the front. If you can manage to stagger him it's a couple of free hits, but it doesn't seem you can st unlock him.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

I miss wacky uncontrollable bullshit weapons because they force you to stop obsessing over skill and getting angry when you die. The most fun I've ever had in a competitive FPS is the Halo "fiesta" mode where everyone spawns with random weapons every time (and one of my friends figured out how to turn off the scoreboard).

My favorite custom game mode was something we invented in Halo in high school called "fagtor". (Because, y'know, we were like, 16. I still say it's a great name though.)

Full invisibility, no radar, rockets only, one life, play with as many people as possible in the smallest map available.

So good. :3:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I seriously got stuck in DS2 because I couldn't see the pull ring to open the aqueduct gates right past Majula. It blends right into the wall, and I wandered around for basically forever in the other two directions because I assumed I needed an item or something to get past it. :negative:

It's a good game, but everything it does right isn't what the Souls series is really known for.

As a "little thing" I like about DS2 for a change though, the fact that the Bonfire Ascetics raise the NG level without resetting doors and switches is pretty rad. Drop one in, go kill the boss, rinse, repeat.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RareAcumen posted:

If it's lucky, it'll turn out like MGR and just be A Really Fun Game to Play. TM

This is definitely the impression I'm getting from the first two levels. It's really dumb, it knows it's really dumb, and it is incredibly fun so far.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Internet Wizard posted:

If actually speaking it out loud is all it takes to make dialogue bad, it wasn't good writing to start with.

Pretty much. The story in FFX holds up because it's neat and original, but the cringe-worthy parts no matter how overanalyzed still are cringey because the whole game is kinda corny. The wedding subplot so felt like it only got to stick around because drat it someone spent a lot of time designing that stupid dress and by God we're gonna use it!

I do like how endgame grinding works though, I forgot how the XP requirements cap out for sphere levels, so everyone starts getting world destroyingly powerful so fast.

And at least in my game, the Aurochs are now untouchable like some kind of Blitzball Globetrotters. Your dreams are still alive, Wakka. :unsmith:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Kimahri didn't need to be in the game. His overdrive sucked, he doesn't excel at any role for most of the game, and was it necessary to have a 7th party member with a 3 party-member battle system? You could develop party ABC, then switch to DEF, only to be left with G.

Kimahri gets pretty broken towards the end of the game, plus it's not really a two party game. You should be shuffling people constantly during fights to make sure they all get credit for the fight.

This leads to some great moments sometimes too. Been grinding late levels in Sin and I had an Adamantoise fight where everyone swapped in, did nothing but block, and Auron comes in and homerun smashes it to end the fight. Everyone levels, no one does any work. :getin:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

Far Cry 4 has a moment at the start where the (future) bad guy takes a phone call and wanders away from you for several minutes. If you get bored and start poking around his house, you trigger the normal game progression and become his enemy. If you wait politely for him to return, you stay on good terms and the game immediately ends.

He also spoils the plot for you immediately and explains everything that would normally only make itself apparent way late in the game. It's pretty awesome.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The director's commentary in Grim Fandango by itself is pretty neat, but they pointed out the best thing.

Through the whole game, you noticeably never actually see any cat racing going on, despite the racetrack being a big part of the plot/puzzles. Apparently, they decided to script out an entire cat racing simulator, despite this being completely unnecessary, and you can hear the announcer doing live results based on the simulation.

Also apparently, they completely goofed up, and once that cat race simulation starts, they never have it end. It runs in the background of every single scene until the credits roll and you finish the game.

So the races are there, they just never show them to you. Go kitty! :3:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

My Lovely Horse posted:

I always like that when you listen in on street thugs in the Batman games. "Yeah, I fought Batman once. Broke my arm in three places, but the way I see it, lightning doesn't strike the same place twice."

The best one in Arkham Knight was one guy instructing his buddies. "Remember, if you see the Batman, yell and charge straight at him. Works every time."

The post-game banter is the absolute best in Arkham Knight. Wayne-arangs!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

I must be dead inside because when I see character creators I hit random a couple times and then move on. I spend the game looking at my dudes back or from his eyes I just don't see the point.

It's fun to make weirdos. Meet KLUBBA:

KLUBBA, as you may be able to guess, likes clubs.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
One of the later Guitar Heroes has a song intro where Ozzy Osborne rises out of the stage dramatically, right next to a day-glow orange AT&T billboard.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

quite stretched out posted:

what about dark souls

perhaps it is YOU who are bad!!!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

food court bailiff posted:

Far Cry 3 is a profoundly funny game at times and I really wasn't expecting that at all so it's even better. Item descriptions, enemy banter, inter-mission dialog - it's all made me crack up a little at one time or another.

My favorite so far is when you rescue Liza, you drag her out of the burning building and towards a Jeep, and Liza finally gets to see your transformation from frat boy douchebag to mass-murdering psycho douchebag firsthand.

Jason: Come on, get in! No, you drive!
Liza: Wait, you want me to drive? Oh god, they're shooting at us! Holy gently caress, Jason, you're shooting at them!
Jason: Jesus Liza can you quit jerking the wheel? You're making me miss here!
Liza: WHY ARE THEY SHOOTING AT US, JASON?!
Jason: HAHA! Eat that, you motherfuckerrrrrrrsss!!!!

Just the delivery of the lines is so perfect - Liza is terrified for her life and utterly confused, and Jason is Rambo with a huge testosterone imbalance getting annoyed with his girlfriend's lovely driving while he gets his murderin' on.

The mook dialogue is the best.

"Killed by Snow White... ain't dat a bitch" makes me laugh every time, especially because it's one of those super long lines that eventually is getting spat out by a completely ragdolled corpse.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Resident Evil 6 is a supremely dumb game but I love how the zombies just start falling apart when they're done. Like, they'll shamble towards you for a second or two but their head and arms just fall on the floor, and the rest melts away.

It really does show a bit of extra detail and thought put into how this isn't the same virus as the first game, even though they're still basically the same enemies.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tumble posted:

While I'm sure the new Wildlands story is pant-on-head silly, it's still dumb for a country to have beef with how they're portrayed in a fictional action game. Nobody seems to take issue with GTA V being set in a bonkers-crazy USA stereotype. Granted that has clever writing and satire, but still. Plus, Bolivia does have a shitload of cocaine; there are literally pop-up cocaine bars the way US cities have pop-up restaurants and taco stands: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/this-is-what-bolivias-legendary-cocaine-bar-is-actually-like-903

On-topic in Breath of the Wild: I'm no longer worried during lightning storms; instead I look around for bigger groups of bad guys, wait for my sword to start sparking, and toss it either into the group, or into some exploding barrels.

I recall hearing Castro was pretty annoyed with how he was depicted in Black Ops 2 up until someone showed him the zombie mode where you get to play as him fighting alongside JFK, Nixon, and McNamara.

So Wildlands probably needs a zombie horde mode is what I'm saying.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

oldpainless posted:

I like walking around the Mansion in the RE remake. I don't have to do anything, just walk around and admire how nice it looks.

This was pretty much the only reason that RE5's DLC (which thankfully came with the HD remaster version on PS4) was worth a drat. It's not quite the same layout, but holy poo poo is it ever pretty.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm trying to play Doom as close to its original style as I can: no jumping, no vertical aiming (did mouse rotation exist back then?). I've got it displaying on a widescreen ratio and I don't know what the original frame rate was but I've got it locked at 60.

It's crazy how the tempo is so good. The weapons have good feedback and it's all told through sound and animation. You naturally develop a rhythm of juking fireballs and getting meatshots at marines and imps. One map starts with you elevated above a room full of demons and explosive barrels and it's basically saying, "You know what you wanna do."

I like how the hud tells me which weapon slots are occupied so I don't have to remember if I picked up a chaingun this run.

If you're playing GZDoom or another modern port, the original game was locked to I think 35fps and ran at 320x200.

Personally I think 320x200 looks fantastic with a modern up-port of Doom, though I'm not sure how you'd re-cap the framerate.

The underlying game does still use the same clock rate though, so it's 35fps gameplay smoothed up to 60.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Action Tortoise posted:

I was going by a Tumblr post about Doom sourceports. So far I've got Crispy Doom but I might download a couple more in case any wads I download have compatibility issues.

The last time I played Doom I was 10 at someone's house and used a flightstick for some reason.

GZDoom is pretty much your go-to standard, though Chocolate Doom is pretty fun because it tries to be as close to the original as possible while being modern system compatible. It even has glorious PC speaker sound capabilities!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Unperson_47 posted:

This made me wonder...is there some kind of Youtube series of someone playing modern games on the lowest rear end settings and resolutions possible that's bearable to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCQkd05iAYed2-LOmhjzDG6g

I think this is going even lower resolution that you have in mind, but he's pretty great. Most of the videos are actually about defeating the minimum requirements and going even lower, so it's pretty fun.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Piell posted:

That video doesnt exist

:arghfist: :saddowns:

This one does though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o1A16NyrEI

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Time_pants posted:

I'm not sure if you're joking. Who is reprising their roles? You mean they got the rights to use all of the Disney characters from the original?

Fake edit: WAIT. You mean they got all the voice actors from the Disney Afternoon cartoon show to do the voicing for the characters in the remake?!?! WHAT?!?! Please tell me that's what you're saying holy poo poo please tell me that I'm understanding you correctly oh my God

This is correct. And it's as great as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Inzombiac posted:

The animation team did a great job with all the little expressions between him and Anya. You really felt like they loved each other and that they were equals.

This was also a great writing moment: Halfway through breaking into the prison to rescue her, you run into her, fairly well armed, coming up an elevator with a group of other prisoners halfway through breaking out. It's really awesome that she isn't just some helpless damsel in distress, they're a great match.