Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Tiggum posted:

As I recall, Volition still has Geomod, but some other company got the rights to Red Faction, so they can't do another Red Faction game.

Which is both a blessing and a curse- Red Faction Armageddon was pretty awful apart from the destruct/reconstruct mechanic. And the hidden weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Crabs!

...Here is a little robot crab outside the lighthouse in Bioshock Infinite.

Just Offscreen has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Feb 27, 2015

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is that homeworld remaster any good.

Its decent- yeah. Wait for a sale though.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Fear of innovation and change is a very real pitfall when making more entries in a franchise- especially when its been handed off to a totally different team. There's way too much pressure to make a "proper" sequel than making something that will actually stand up to scrutiny, so most good ideas are smothered before they get off the drawing board.

Looking back, the Silent Hill I was most disappointed in post 4 was Shattered Memories- there was a real spark of something that could have been great, but it had too much dragging it down.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Der-Wreck posted:

Is there anywhere to look up the lore of Planescape or the overall story? It sounds really dang interesting and I tried to read the wikia page a bit but the white font on black background just seared into my eyeballs.

This is literally the best way you could experience it without actually playing it.

http://lparchive.org/Planescape-Torment/

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I will never understand devs putting anti-savescum stuff into the game. As a savescummer writ large, savescumming is the result of the dev / game doing something wrong to make the act worthwhile in the first place. Remove the offending problem, and you remove the pressure to savescum.

Not always, some people just like to savescum just to ensure they do everything the "right" way, when that might not be the point of the experience. It's like trying to read all the branches of a choose-your-own-adventure book at once.

Edit: Every time I savescummed in X-COM I counted it as a loss, personally.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Well those people were loving stupid.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Well even though gameplay wise yeah the robofist is the better option, the flamethrower is a solid B to the rocket punch's A.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

MGSV would be so much better if you could pet a bear.

This is true of most things, not just games. Like, insert pretty much anything in place of MGSV and see for yourself.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Hydrocodone posted:

And so many more. I quote the Chinese bulldozer unit from C&C: Generals often enough that it annoys my friends.

A very good plan, general!

China will grow larger.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I think my favorite thing was how the terrorist faction had upgrades to imbue a ton of their weapons with anthrax, which is totally a thing middle-eastern terrorists use, right? Anthrax in this case being a green liquid that could be upgraded to a blue liquid. They had tanks that sprayed huge streams of it and could load it into their scud missiles.

Melt! everything must melt!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

aardwolf posted:

Ah. Now that I factor in "posturing teenage boys upset that their friends can view their Steam profile and know that they played a game about personal relationships and sexuality" a lot of the backlash against the game suddenly makes sense. Thank you.

Bingo. I'm not saying people can't think something's bad but that explains the backlash pretty succinctly.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hell that's basically everything anyone ever said about The Witness. And Journey to a degree.

And all three are good games, according to most. I bought 3 different versions of Journey fight me.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

timp posted:

While we're on the subject, this leads me to a question I've been wanting to ask on SA. Now that ME1 is in the books (a bit annoyed I can't cruise around space after the end game but whatevs) ME2 is next. I played ME1 on my ancient Xbox 360 that loads textures at a "Whenever I Get Around To It" speed, but since buying ME1 I've purchased a nice, high end PC and would much rather play ME2 on Steam. I've heard that your choices from ME1 carry over to ME2, so my question is: Would it be worth it to continue through the series on Xbox 360 to preserve my Renegade Blonde Shep and his choices, or is there some way to trick the PC version of ME2 into thinking I've made my ME1 choices from the Xbox 360 file on startup? Or is the continuity not even worth all this trouble in the first place?

I don't know where to look for such things anymore, but I know for a fact that there's a way to edit all your choices in a ME1 save file and import it int ME2 when you start- and don't worry about how he/she looks- the engine is so different that it lets you start from scratch, facially.

Edit: found it! Just grab whatever save matches your decisions, edit it to your liking in the save editor and bob's your proverbial uncle.

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/

Olaf The Stout posted:

You know the author of gone home is a lesbian game designer from Seattle right? And what's not classic about a more lipsticky lez and a little grungier, tomboy dyke-y girl finding one another? That's a common dynamic in the LGBT circles and not really a picking point for the game.

Don't read too much into it, hes just looking for a veiled excuse to be a dismissive chode.

Just Offscreen has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Mar 25, 2016

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Digirat posted:

Too bad about the whole game part though.

I'm surprised someone hasn't modded that part out yet.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

I've never played Rimworld, but at first glance it looks like a shameless ripoff of Prison Architect and Dwarf Fortress in Space. Which actually sounds pretty good to me.

Is that accurate?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Sad lions posted:

Also their stat growth makes it so (more or less) all weapons are liable for end game use. This pretty much lets you use your personal favourite through the whole game.

That's honestly my favorite improvement over the other souls games- there are no bad weapons.

Except for the stake driver. But even then it looks rad as hell.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I'm pretty sure she's never been a game dev on anything so idk what you're ironicating about

Thanks for letting us know. I think he might mean more "appropriate" than "ironic", since she also voiced on colonial marines and evolve. There isn't an emote for that though.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Yeah I've had a couple bad matchups with stuttering and sliding around, but the majority of people I've invaded and been invaded by have been silky smooth.

So nice, so smooth.

Anyway, my little thing is in Dark souls 3- when you use a homeward bone in other games, it simply takes you back to the last bonfire you used. Here, it gives you the option of doing that, or taking you back to the shrine bonfire, where you level up and buy poo poo. A really huge time saver.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

TGLT posted:

Unrelated to PvP, I appreciate that the game has more female or feminine monsters, and that they aren't titty spiders.

Don't you dare disparage titty spiders in this house.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way, anyone else find hte Abyss Watchers to be hard as balls? I'm having no end of trouble, the first form keeps kicking my rear end, parrying doesn't seem to do enough damage to really matter as I'm not good at it, and when he hits his second form I barely have enough estus to keep up, let alone actually hit him.

Really? I didn't have too much trouble, especially when I got them fighting among themselves. This might also be because I had just re-ran through Bloodborne just before release, and that fight is essentially Maria lite.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Been playing House of the Dying Sun today, and I'm just blown away how good everything sounds- especially with headphones. Sound design is often overlooked, especially in indie production, but this one loving nails it- I will never swap out the space shotgun for the sound alone.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Is it true you cant even use guns now?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

I don't think you are using that correctly. Besides that, he looked at if from a normal persons POV and changed his mind which is laudable. I mean I certainly hadn't read the novel when I played through it the first time, but I was aware of it and thought it was a cute nod.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Especially the guy working for minimum wage manning the counter for a fast food restaurant, who almost has a nervous breakdown over the weird kid who keeps plopping old clothes and popsicles onto the counter instead of placing an order.

Burgerpants is a national treasure.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm playing Persona 5 and like the previous games it has an All-Out Attack mechanic where knocking down enemies lets you use your entire team to attack them. The big difference is that at the end of this one the character who activated the All-Out Attack will get a special finishing pose at the end of the fight.

They're all pretty amazing but I'm particularly fond of Ryuji's.

Are you in Japan?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

absurd garbage

My favorite little thing in the new xcom series is scrolling around the bases and seeing your soldiers in relevant places- guys with nothing to do are in the barracks or bar, injured are in the medbay with visitors, and folks training are actually in the appropriate room.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Yeah I really haven't ever encountered that particular problem with the Shelter series or Meadow.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...meadow.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Yeah reading all this horseshit about it makes me glad I missed that boat.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Good story- tell more.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Well Emil basically has medusa powers, so he can't open his eyes without killing everyone in the room.

The androids I imagine don't actually need eyes to see- either that or its some hyper advanced visor. Regardless of the in universe reason, it's mostly to try to look cool.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Do you hear our prayers?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

pulp rag posted:

Chikage and Bowblade for life.

Thats an odd way to say Evelynn and Reiterpallasch.

Also, nthing the buying a PS4 for BB and not regretting it for a second.

Well that and TLG, now.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Yeah, DS1 for sure- it's the lowest cost investment if you end up hating the experience, and in some ways it's still the best at what it does of any in the series.

If on PC, get yourself a gamepad.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

If I play Tracer I start with "Cheers love, the calvary's queer." in team chat. Sometimes I get some amazing bites.

God that's fantastic- if I played anything other than D.VA I would use it.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

scarycave posted:

Serves them right too after Nuts and Bolts took a bunch of jabs at the older banjo kazooies/3d platformers in general through L.O.G. Really hate that guy.

I get the hate that Nuts and Bolts gets, but i genuinely enjoyed every minute of it- wish i could play it on pc.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

scarycave posted:

Nuts and Bolts isn't a bad game on its own. The music is pretty great and it's a pretty good looking game and there's a lot to do with the vehicles but the game loves the missions the game throws at you where you can't use your cars can gently caress off.

The best way to break those missions was to pause and totally rework your stock vehicle the moment the mission started- i'm looking at you alien shooting gallery.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

It tried to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, and did so in the laziest story way possible. Also some lovely minecraft/tower defense parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

For all its faults NeiR:Automata still has a fantastic soundtrack. Between Voice of NO Return and the great Dark Colossus remix there's just so many good tracks in here of all kinds.

I didn't feel it had a lot of faults though? It was my understanding that it's basically a critical darling. The music is completely amazing though I agree.