Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AlphaKretin posted:

Will this one's nemesis system actually work at all without you deliberately crippling yourself?

Based on how you've got your own army now there might be less focus on you having personal nemeses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Don't know if I ever finished the first Darksiders but I had a great time with II. Death felt much more fun to play as, specifically his movement, whereas War felt too cumbersome. Didn't help that I played Darksiders on the 360 and its bulky controller whereas I played Darksiders II with a DualShock.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

McDragon posted:

Darksiders had some great voice actors.

When the playable character is voiced by this guy, you're off to a great start:

Maybe another reason I preferred Death.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I didn't really remember the details of the world very well but I looked up the overworld maps and yeah, whoo boy, there was barely a reason to even draw up a "map" for those last two overworlds.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guy Mann posted:

The fact that the House Party expansion had Drew Carrey show up if your party lasted long enough with a high enough rating was the greatest thing when I was a teenager because I was a huge Whose Line dork. In retrospect it's great because it almost perfectly dates the game.

Also doing some wikidiving in the Thai release of the game they renamed the in-game character after a Thai comedian who resembled the Drew Carrey character model.

Hard to forget that face.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In shut up blegum's defence I've come across debate on this topic lots of times. Not sure where it comes from but at some point there must be teachers who use a much more vague definition about who drives the story or who it's centred around and it muddles what otherwise should be a straightforward idea of who the main character is because you could look at Silvio Caruso and go "wellll, this story wouldn't be happening without him and his virus right?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unperson_47 posted:

Yeah, Geralt is guicing.

You can see the effects on him in cutscenes, even minor ones like when talking to merchants. If his Toxicity is above 0 his blood vessels will be prominently purple.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Are they doing that to keep their K/D ratio?

Games really should punish that poo poo. If you alt-f4 at less than 10% health it should count as a loss and you get the "whiny piss baby" tag added to your name for 30 days as a warning to others.

Was talking to a guy at work about this and he says that for Virtua Fighter 5 each player would have a face icon next to their name that was based on their connection history, which functioned like a reputation. If you kept dropping out of fights because of your connection or because you were a ragequitting wuss, either way you'd end up with a face icon that was sad (or red, whatever the exact system was I dunno) so that other players knew you were a risk to start a match with.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leavemywife posted:

I was just about to post this. Mine were always red and green, because then I was Darth Krampus.

This is great.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll always like the ending reveal of Crackdown. It's not much of a twist but the presentation is fantastic. It's largely the Agency commander narrating at you, congratulating you on a job well done, then it turns at "You gave the people back their lives! Thankyou... Hehehehehehe... It's been a long time, a lot of meticulous planning to get to this point... Who do you think supplied Los Muertos? Who do you think turned a blind eye to the Volk's activities? Who do you think were Shai Gen's biggest supporters?! Who ran the law enforcement agency... ran it into the ground... The people had to experience absolute anarchy before they could accept absolute control!" I just love that the way that the game is put together, it makes you enjoy following the Agency's orders. Do a race here, fight a boss there, it's all good fun for the most part, and the arcadey action stops you thinking too hard about the incredibly fascist undercurrent before the game just says "Oh, you thought we were doing this unironically? We knew exactly what we were making you think..."

That reminds me, I never played the sequel. What was the player expected to think about The Agency after the end of the first game?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RBA Starblade posted:

Avalanche knew that you were probably going to blow yourself up a whole lot in JC3 so the consequences for death in it now are nothing. You just pop back next to whatever you were trying to explode, full ammo and explosives, ready to blow yourself up by mistake again. This is especially nice if you play around with aircraft, because while you can dodge surface-to-air missiles you can also shoot them down with your own missiles, and this usually happens about an inch from the cockpit.

Speaking of JC3, I wouldn't say this is a little thing because it seems more like the over-arching design thesis (kind of a big thing) but I'm loving how the game seems to dare you to never use firearms. Explosives, yes, but it's a conspicuous hint that your C4 (or whatever the "Bavarium" equivalent is called) is unlimited. And your grappling hook auto-aim on soldiers is very generous so web-zipping into a dropkick is very easy. And obviously there are tethering kill opportunities abound.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lobok posted:

Speaking of JC3, I wouldn't say this is a little thing because it seems more like the over-arching design thesis (kind of a big thing) but I'm loving how the game seems to dare you to never use firearms.

Okay so I guess I hadn't played the game enough yet because one of the loading screen messages states this outright :blush:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

MI kind of like Mark of Kri's gimmick although it is tricky to use -you focus on enemies by sweeping the right analog stick to assign an attack button to up to 3 of them, and then use said buttons to attack them all fluidly without having to switch lockon constantly - fewer enemies locked on to give you the unassigned buttons to use as modifiers to do more damage to the enemy you are focused on.

Had never heard of this game before this month and now this is like the sixth time I've seen it brought up somewhere.

I like the idea of the combat system they have but I'm not quite sure why they designed it. In terms of simplifying targeting and inputs, why not just have one attack button combine with a direction input like in any other brawler or hack 'n' slash? Is it to divorce your movement from the enemies you plan to attack? Do they expect the player to switch among targets so fast that they need the inputs to be that simple? Doesn't look like it from gameplay videos. It seems like the main advantage is for attacks that need to connect properly and specifically with the enemy's character model, like finishers, rather than the generic sword swings that can can hit anywhere on the enemy's hitbox. But then again, Arkham games don't have a problem with that, unless that's an unfair comparison because Arkham wouldn't be until the next generation.

One cool thing I think that targeting system could be used for would be simultaneous attacks on two or more enemies that are not near or next to each other. Like if two enemies were flanking you and you pressed their two corresponding attack buttons you could hit them at the same time without the impossible task of somehow pressing your joystick in opposite directions at the same time.

But this whole system is less appealing the more enemies you have.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edit: didn't see the above post at first

It makes more sense for that cancelled Flash game that was going to use the same system because you can imagine how quickly you could zip around and away from enemies but you'd never lose the ability to instantly and precisely strike enemies no matter how far away they were from you, at a level you could normally not achieve without seriously abusing the analog stick.

Would also work in a game where you are routinely attacking enemies on different planes than you, including the Flash. Like how in the original Doom the game compensated for no mouselook by targeting enemies on different horizontal planes as long as you lined up the target above or below them. Brawlers generally don't have a great way to understand when I want to attack that enemy over there who's on a ledge below me. That usually requires aiming the camera or having to jump (jump up that is, even though I want to land lower than where I started).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is Doom basically a top-down shooter but you're given the POV of the character? Like going from the top-down Google Maps into Streetview?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Glagha posted:

Tiny Doom nitpick, the whole "Doom is 2D" thing is slightly inaccurate. Yeah, the game didn't support 3 dimensions in a lot of ways because you couldn't have rooms above rooms, and you couldn't pass over other Things, and melee attacks specifically from enemies had infinite height. However, projectiles DO have height and if, for example, an enemy threw a fireball at you while you're riding down an elevator, it could pass harmlessly above your head.
:goonsay:

Is that real though, or the game faking it? In the shoot-em-up 1942 you could do a loop-the-loop to avoid projectiles.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Glagha posted:

Does this have a meaningful distinction? The game will check the Z level of projectiles for the purposes of hit detection. You can go over or under them. That's it.

Meaningful distinction because I was wondering if Doom was actually using a third axis while 1942 was just using animation to pretend you were moving along the third axis while really it just temporarily removed your hitbox or made it invulnerable while the animation played.

Edit: I probably could have said "while" less.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Aug 25, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bogmonster posted:

I'm playing through The Saboteur again since it was a couple of quid on sale recently. It has a perk system for doing various things in game, one of which is the ability to plant explosives while disguised as a Nazi without raising suspicion.

I just noticed that the perk description is "it's surprising how often 'Heinrich told me to put this here' works" and that made me burst out laughing.

I love the pulp WWII vibe this game has as well. There really hasn't been any other game that nails the open world disguise/sabotage feel this one does.

I'm glad you said "quid" at the very beginning of your post so that I could change my internal reading voice accent appropriately. In case you're curious I went with Ray Winstone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Real waypoints. Talking about maps and navigation in the Witcher 3 thread made me remember the original Rainbow Six games or my younger days of playing flight sims where a waypoint actually meant intermediate destinations along the way towards somewhere final. Just like planning a trip in real life it'd be great in more games if I could use the map to plan a series of stops all at once.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flatluigi posted:

Click through for an entire thread on cool little hidden mechanics in games to make for better feel:

https://twitter.com/Gaohmee/status/903510060197744640

If anyone can find a twitter moment or something collecting all of these that'd be awesome, but I couldn't find one on a brief look.

This one needs to be in basically any 3rd person brawler/hack 'n' slash. How many times have you as a player killed an enemy that has a sliver of health with a really unsatisfying weak attack or the beginning of a combo? How many times has the enemy died and your character keeps attacking, making the moment of death either feel weak and unexpected or makes you look foolish (or both!).

https://twitter.com/DuncanCorrigan/status/903973678387314688

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A question a character-designer should ask themselves is "How does character put this outfit on in the morning" and "How does this character go the bathroom without making a mess?".

I agree with at least considering the question but going to the bathroom easily would disqualify a lot of current and historical fashion.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

smuh posted:

Been playing Watch Dogs 2 and after being confused for a bit about if the player character uses sunglasses or regular glasses, I realized he has transition lenses and I thought that was really cool for some reason :allears:

The attention to detail in the game is cool. Sadly, Transitions themselves are not.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bbcisdabomb posted:

Hey gently caress you, you can pull my Transitions lenses off my cold dead face. I don't have to forget my sunglasses everywhere any more, that's cool to me.

Probably shouldn't have tossed that grenade of a comment in the thread. I don't personally have a problem with them but I know from others they don't have the best rep.

The modern ones are at least an improvement on the originals, which I used to wear way back in the day. Those things never went perfectly clear.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

X-Wing 1994: I'm enjoying that when you take a couple of hits, your cockpit instruments sometimes get fried. Made me feel like Tom Hardy in Dunkirk when I was mentally tracking engine/shield/laser levels after the console got blown up towards the end of a mission. Feels really Star-Warsy.

I did a long drive this morning and I was behind various cars along one lane highways for most of the way and I remembered TIE Fighter because it had that great Match Target's Speed feature that I would have loved to be able to use in real life today.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Taerkar posted:

Radar Cruise Control.

"Radar Cruise Control activated. Recent inclement weather has left the roads wet and may affect safe breaking distance. I recommend increasing Minimum Following Distance to 3.5 car lengths. Confirm?"
"Hm, yeah. Good idea, car. Make it so."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The future is now!

Seriously, I don't own a car so all this stuff passes me by. Will look for it in the next car I rent.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jesus H. Christ posted:

Super vague Little Thing since I can’t even remember what game did it, but some horror game played high frequency tones that would scare your dog or cat while you played. Anyone know what I’m talking about? I think it was an old game that, aside from the cool trick with the music, wasn’t very good.

This sounds like a dick move, not something to be applauded.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Push El Burrito posted:

I did an orc fight last night and both had dogs and also an ability that let them one-shot the dogs. So it was just a big dog slaughterfest until they finally fought in the middle of a dog corpse littered battlefield.

In general I don't have a big problem with killing dogs in videogames but I do hate the sound effects for it. I have a dog and every time a videogame dog lets out a pained yelp or a death whimper I imagine she hears it and wonders what kind of sick bastard has adopted her.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lube Enthusiast posted:

In the newest Hitman the controls are the first thing displayed on the pause screen. There's gently caress loads of games where the control scheme is hidden under like pause>options>controller>preset etc

Totally agree. Long gone are the days where I can prop open the instruction manual on the couch beside me so easy access to the controls menu is good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

rydiafan posted:

No, again I want to stress that I wasn't being sarcastic. Your posts read like the middle of a conversation with a friend who shares a love of these games, and so the lack of explanation is charming. It's legit my favorite part of reading your posts.

They read like diary entries. You don't need to explain yourself to yourself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Agents are GO! posted:

I have a question (possibly rhetorical) about VR:

Wouldn't it be kind of cool, rather than have a first person viewpoint, to use it to make it look like you're playing with a super detailed live model set.

Like, a fixed perspective camera over an isometric game, but you could move your head around and look at stuff from different angles and such?

Also I will buy a VR headset and a pallet of dramamine when Open Morrowind gets VR support. :colbert:

Not sure if this kind of thing already exists but from a few pages back when you said "live model set" it made me think that you could do a game adaptation of how a kid plays with toy cars.

Instead of driving a car with direction and button inputs you use your hand/controller to directly "hold" the car and move it side to side, or forward/backward as fast and intuitively as you want. You can spin it around as far as your wrist can go, do a perfect drift, or even jump and keep it there for some insanely long hang time (but maybe with some kind of incentive to come back down or penalty for staying airborne for too long). Doesn't even have to be VR since most (all?) controllers have good gyroscope and motion sensors these days. Hell, if you have two controllers there's no reason why you couldn't control two cars at the same time for amazing tag team potential. And obviously you'd have to have some kind of bonus or special level where you drive your car in a giant living room, like how as a kid you would play with toy cars on the couch and coffee table.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robert J. Omb posted:

Transformers Devastation. I'm a Jonny-come-lately to the Platinum party and I find the action so satisfying! I went from the Transformers ip to Metal Gear Rising to find similar joy: everything is so smooth, visceral and makes me feel so badass (as I just mash random buttons).

It was short and it felt like the levels and gameplay choices were straight out of an arcade box but the combat was so satifsying. Especially the mid-combo transformations, which warmed this old G1 fan's heart.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Biplane posted:

I dont agree with your opinion but i will defend your right to have it with my life. COMRADE

:wal: Good, because I've had it with your life, too!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yakuza of the North Star has a toggle for the normal kind of death screams from the anime etc, and then death screams from an audition they had for people across Japan; if you choose the latter it says the name and location of the winner who provided it. That is love.

Cross-posting this dude from the PS4 thread.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SuddenCactus posted:

Mine is bugged out because he goes straight for the crotch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, they explicitly wink at grabbing other vehicles for those things. It's definitely part of the design.

The fact that your timer doesn't start until the first destruction also means they are very clear about giving you time to set up. Not just putting yourself in a good vantage point to begin but finding better weapons, setting up easier/better destruction by moving things around, or even setting up destruction that doesn't involve any weapons.

You're allowed to use your grappling lines to destroy so you can save yourself time and get an immediate boost to your points multiplier by attaching as many lines as you have and then destroying what they're anchored to all at once. Later in the game when you've maxed out the number of lines and their strength it's a big help.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

In sanitarium there is a cyclops with a perfectly groomed goatee and it makes me laugh and clap my hands

Yeah, right. I doubt that wuss could even grow facial hair. Now, Wolverine, there's a real man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Lee posted:

Also, the voice actor for said demon-guy is Yuri Lowenthal, who delivers a stellar performance as an rear end in a top hat who desires wholesale destruction, but has to content himself with being a petty dick. You can really tell Yuri enjoyed the work; I'd imagine it was a nice change from his standard Guy Who Is An Alright Fellow roles.

He also plays the titular Guy Who Is An Amazing Fellow in the upcoming Spider-Man game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

No citizens call the military on you too, no matter what you do, which may lead to some hosed up situations where you accidentally blow up a dozen rebels and everyone just carries on with their lives.

"Rico knows what's what! He must have learned those rebels were actually Di Ravello sympathizers!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

VanSandman posted:

Dragon Age: Origins and its sequel did something very cool with the player’s ability to set up algorithms for combat.

So disappointing that Inquisition was a downgrade in this regard.

bewilderment posted:

Final Fantasy 12 was based around this sort of thing too.

And after many complaints about the lack of it in Pillars of Eternity 1 (when the game first shipped, even basic AI things like "if your target dies, attack next enemy" weren't there), Pillars of Eternity 2 which comes out next week is going maximum programmable AI. You can even copy your custom AI from your game data folder and share it on the internet.
Including being able to set up two AI behaviours on a person that you can switch between!

[pictures]

Check out them conditional/target lists - those are just one page each out of many.

No word of a lie, I wish almost every game had programming like this and Dragon Age. And not just to make companions more useful (tolerable...) but to try out letting your main character just go on auto-pilot and see how good your algorithms are.